Start by marking “Blood, Bones and Body Bits” as Want to Read:
Blood, Bones and Body Bits

Blood, Bones and Body Bits

(Horrible Science)

Are you dying to find out what happens to food after you swallow it? Why dead people need a haircut? Which animals live on your eyelashes? This book will get right under your skin as the human body goes under the scalpel.
Published March 1st 1998 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Blood, Bones and Body Bits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood, Bones and Body Bits

David (דוד)
3-stars from my perpective.
4-stars exciting stars from children's perspective!

The book was quite interesting and made funny at several places. There were some facts that I came to know from the book, which I did not knew in spite of studying biology academically for a degree course.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Blood, Bones and Body Bits, Nick Arnold (1961)
عنوان: شگفتیهای بدن: خون، استخوانها، اعضای بدن؛ نویسنده: نیک آرنولد؛ مترجم: فیروزه معراج؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، پیدایش، 1384، در 192 ص، مصور رنگی، فروست: علوم ترسناک، شابک: 9789643492144؛ موضوع: بدن انسان، کالبد شناسی، ادبیات کودکان و نوجوانان
Karen Hammond
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
A 'Horrible' Science book all about Blood, Bones and Body Bits!
The book is very informative and provides the information in nice 'bite size' snippets. You can pick a chapter to find out something specific about the body.

I’m not sure all the facts in it are correct - but its an amusing read, and a bit yucky in places, which I’m sure is good for the more reluctant readers, as they can pick this up and just read a small section, and learn something at the same time!

This was recommended to me by Ye
Tsippora
This book is for children, but wanted to read it anyway because now I learned all this in university and wanted to see it from a different perspective.
Ellie
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
A quick read.
Leah3088
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
sort of repeated stuff from other books like deadly diseases when it could have gone into more detail on other topics about the body.
Indah Threez Lestari
182 - 2019
Lucus
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Okay, I'm not such a big fan of Horrible Science any more. Sure, it was better when it was younger, but I think by now it has grown off me. This is probably because I've grown up enough to notice all its flaws.
This isn't really going to be a review of this particular book, but the whole series as a whole (yes, I know). I chose this particular book to review first because, well, it's the first!And this series's two biggest flaws are:

The puns. I heard somewhere at some time that puns are the lowes
Mehreen
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for children summarizing very eloquently the working of a human body and a step by step things you require in case you want to build your very own monster (Frankenstein). I will be indulging in more Horrible Science series and to be sure what my younger cousins are getting for their next birthday!

Interesting bits and questions are littered in the book. Thus if you are wondering why you a hear pop sound when you do a big yawn, or if the color of your blood is really blue
Bobi
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Blood, Bones and Body Bits is very nice edition to the cool series Horrible Science. Like all the books in that series, there is a lot of humour, as well and little funny comics. The book delivers real facts, like all other Horrible Science books. For the kids, who are searching for ,,hidden'' parts of the body, they are censored.

Blood, Bones and Body Bits by Nick Arnold is book for you, if want to learn something new, or to laugh, or both things. At least that's my opinion about the book. So my
Mao Mao
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite part of this book is the part about the Gruesome Guts Tours story about digestion. I want to learn more about the guts, the stomach, the small intestine and the large intestine. But how does the Pineal Body time-control system work? What is the cure for a stomach hole now? Why do we have dreams? I just don't like the fact that our brain cells start dying off the moment we are born. That small worm in the human gut has only 16-17 brain cells! How weeny!
Anna Wallman
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like these kinds of books that gives you a lot of facts, also interesting and gory.
However, there are some faults- like what happens with the stuff you eat? A lot of the food you eat becomes carbon dioxide for instance. They don't mention those gases in that chapter.
Kristina  UK
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
This one definitely wasn't up to par. There were several "facts" that are clearly not facts - perhaps this has been updated from the book I've read, if not, it should be.

Hair and nails do not continue to grow after death
The tongue does not have specific zones for tasting salt, bitter, sweet etc - no mention of umami either ...

Take this one with a pinch of salt definitely.
Yolanda kisenyi
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is good because in it is imformative and it teaches you in an interesting way making it funner and much more exciting.It also makes you learn more about how your body works I even learnt I a new organ that I never where it came from Appendix I leanrt it is like a short Tail in our body it iis like a remain of when we all used to be like APES.
elstaffe
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I almost DNF'd this about halfway through, but my friend's comment that this book was formative in her younger brother's childhood made me keep going. Maybe it's because I'm not in the right age bracket any more for this, but I did not enjoy this book (especially in contrast to the Horrible Histories). Turns out: people are different and enjoy different things.
Mia-rose Mcdermid
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-fun
I think this book was funny, clever and very gory. This book was very interesting and funny and disgusting but it also made me learn in some strange ways. I learned the answers to questions i never thought i would ask like what animals live on your eyelashes SO RANDOM.The best way to learn :)
Liam Jordan
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was extremely entertaining because it is a short story book about science and the gross bits.

For instance, a scientist was in the middle of surgery on this dude, then his phone rang and he dropped it in the person and he had to talk to the phone through the person. LOL !!
Vignesh
Horrible Science Series is something to read. The series in non-fiction with lots of horrible facts. This book is about the human body and it really has a good amount of horrible facts which will be really surprising to you.
Tanya
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Quick, easy read about interesting scientific facts. It made me laugh at times and some of the facts I already knew however there were some that I didn't know. Better keep this for when I get into a reading slump lol :) overall a good read.
Laurie
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Had I read this as a child I would have loved it. As an adult I still found it fantastic- entertaining and educational - but it really did make me feel a bit queasy. If your sensitive about vivid descriptions of bodily functions (such as blood flowing around the body) the proceed with caution!
Elizabeth Carr
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great way to teach children about BIOLOGY. Such a shame that books like this are not available to older students as this would have kept me interested in science instead of me turning my nose up at it and falling asleep in lessons haha
Aaron Augustine
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
these are awesome books and i love reading them. they man learning difficult subjects really fun
Rui Tong
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I ENJOY READING THIS STORY BOOK
RCPP
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i want to thank a good book. it is about blood bones and body bits.
Saidatul Husna
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Gory and up-to-date facts
Mark Louie Parcasio
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading this series is taking its toll on my body and bloody bits haha. I have to read that Raven Boys but I miss the Riordan books. Too gory this book has become for me.
Zww
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I brought this book to my class and my friends laughed. They thought it was epic! I want to read more of these books. (age 8).
Aaditya
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best
Iman Susay
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
Scary but horribly fantastic. I want more Horrible Science.
Francisco Flores
a good book discosting, but good
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • Evolve or Die (Horrible Science)
  • The Gobsmacking Galaxy (The Knowledge)
  • Angry Aztecs
Nick Arnold is the author of the award winning series, Horrible Science and Wild Lives. Arnold's first published works appeared as a result of a project he was working on at the University of North London, when he was trying to teach young children. A positive review was written about him, and he started to write the "Horrible Science" books. His books are illustrated by Tony De Saulles.

Horrible Science (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Angry Animals (Horrible Science)
  • The Body Owner's Handbook (Horrible Science)
  • Bulging Brains (Horrible Science)
  • Chemical Chaos
  • Deadly Diseases (Horrible Science)
  • Disgusting Digestion
  • Evil Inventions (Horrible Science)
  • Evolve or Die (Horrible Science)
  • Fatal Forces
  • The Fearsome Fight for Flight (Horrible Science)