Start by marking “Snowbound” as Want to Read:
Snowbound

Snowbound

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  565 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
“The policewoman got shot and she’s bleeding everywhere. Get someone here in one hour or I’m going to put her out of her misery.”

An ultimatum that forever changes the lives of police officer Sam Lucas and Dr. Kate Myles.

When heavy snowfall isolates the small English village of Birchenlow, a violent robbery shatters the community. Taken as a hostage and stranded with the in
Published December 20th 2011 by Bold Strokes Books (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Snowbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowbound

Loek Krancher
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely enthralling and thrilling story!

Kate offers her help, even though she is very scared. She'll do everything in her power to keep them safe. It's a race against time and exhaustion. The danger to be killed is hanging over their heads and Kate must do something. Both are fighting to stay alive. The brutal conditions brings them closer together and Kate never expected to lose her heart in the process. The tension keeps building from the start and all the action kept me on the edge of m
Heidi
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved these characters. Extreme conditions throw these characters together, and as events unfold love grows. Read in a day, started the story and I just had to keep reading to see what would happen next.
August 2016- Just re-read as an audible book! Loved the narrators accent and she did a great job keeping her accents for each of the characters! Still a great story!
Cab
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance, crime, e-books, drama
First let me admit that I had been avoiding this book. I’ve read the book description a couple of times and it’s never really grabbed me. Then I hit period where the books I’ve been attempting to read just haven’t been keeping my attention so I took a break, but the online book group I am a member of selected this as the May book. Yet, I still wasn’t thrilled. Let me openly apologize to the author now:
***********
Dear Cari,

Snowbound was an excellent debut book. I downloaded the book Sunday night,
Megan
August 2012 - Read this for a third time (First time because it sounded interesting, second because it was a Book of the Month Club selection, third because I was doing a review show on it). It stands up to multiple readings. Why are you reading reviews ... just pick this one up.

*****

Definitely recommended.

I really enjoyed this book - it is so not a standard lesfic.

The book is seperated into two major parts - After a quick introduction of the two main characters, Hunter starts off with a prett
Pin
Fast paced with some well-done dramatic scenes, strong and likable main characters, nice love story... Great read. I look forward to more great stories from this author.
Voronwer
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a lovely book. Yes, it's a romance story, but it stands out from the others (and not just because it's set in England). It's a great read. The book is about more than just the romance and there's enough tension to keep the plot interesting. The mix of romance story and action story works really well. The story doesn't suffer from overly cliché tenses and eyerolling descriptions. It's not an instant crush and attraction that overrules everything, but more of a quiet, believable growth. Th ...more
Kennedy
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Police Officer Sam Lucas and Dr. Kate Myles, both likable and capable main characters. Once I started this read, it was difficult to put down. I wanted to know what would happen next and I could not know what would happen next if I stopped reading. In addition to wanting to know what would happen next, I just enjoyed how Sam and Kate supported and looked out for each other. Being a tea drinker, I understand and agree with the medicinal capabilities.
Luce
I read ebook years ago & rated it 5 stars back then. Add 0.5 stars for the audio book's narration for a total of 5.5 stars total. I've re-read it before but decided to try the audio book this time around. I think I enjoyed it more with the excellent narration. Hearing it read with an English accent really adds to the book. I'm not knowledgable enough to know if it is accurate for the area.
M
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l-books, 5-books
For some reason I have been putting off reading this novel but I am glad that I decided to spend a very enjoyable weekend, finishing this book at about 3am in the morning.

This is a great read.

I am most certainly biased in that I am British, but I loved this story. I particularly loved the use of dialogue and humour throughout the novel, as this was excellent and completely placed you in the moment with it's realistic tone. I caught the author's interview on the Cocktail Hour podcast, so I know t
Leavethesky
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance
Although well-written, the pacing and plotting on this was a bit off. This is the author's first novel, which probably explains a great deal of the awkwardness. I'd definitely be willing to read a second. It's essentially a thriller (or two thrillers) with an awkwardly paced romance added on. Everything feels right until the first hostage scene is complete and one of our protags is in the hospital while the other (a doctor) cares for her. Instead of a natural progression to romance, this author ...more
Natsu
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for English characters tbh. So that itself might've influenced the rating. Seriously, I enjoyed the story, the way the injuries, procedures, and stuff were described.

I also love the interaction between characters.
Clare Ashton
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This novel has a great dramatic and vivid opening, and the novel's first-half hostage scene, with its grim detail of the hostages' injuries and treatment, was what made this book stand out for me. It has very convincing scenes where the heroines are suffering and their lives are in danger - gripping, sickening and fantastic stuff.

The second half of the novel is a more standard romance, but by this time I had been fully drawn into the relationship between the characters and I think I would have
Agirlcandream
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I really enjoyed this medical thriller. Impressive debut novel by Cari Hunter. The first half of the book/audiobook is captivating and makes for a compelling read. The second half does not disappoint but does drag a bit as relationships are developed and the reality of recovery post traumatic injury are examined. The developing relationship between Sam and Kate was a pleasure to watch.

The book lost a star only because (view spoiler)
Fin
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: gblt, thrillers
Decent story, decent characters.

Most of what action there was took place at the beginning of the book and then it got bogged down in the hospital scenes and then tried to turn into a romance.

Because the book was trying to be a thriller, medical drama, romance, etc, it ended up being none of those and that really hurt it.

I never got a sense of the characters. What they looked like, who they were outside of crisis or hospital setting. What did Kate look like, what did Sam look like? Who were they
Nikki
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this one. The first half was full of suspense and action, and even though the second have had much less so, the author was able to keep me engaged throughout.

The writing flowed well, and the author was able to show her knowledge of medical treatments without beating the reader over the head with medical jargon, which happens far too often, in my opinion. I will definitely read more from this author, as I could not put this down.
girlwithglasses
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Capably enough written, but the structure of the book meant that the majority of the tension was in the first half, and the second half was relatively flat. I knew the leads would get it together in the end, and I was half-tempted to abandon the book after the mid-point as the story lost all its vitality.
Morgan
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian, recommended
A very well written story that is a little heavy on the hurt/comfort, but the dialogue is fresh and extremely witty and the characters are fully fleshed out. The subject matter is intense, but I found myself not wanting to put the book down. Highly recommended!
Tinything
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Err.. This is incredible! I wonder why I delayed on start reading this. This is such an adventure. I really love this book and on how the story unfolded. So adventurous! I actually really excited while i was reading it. At the very start of the book it already catch my interest already, I couldn't stop reading and wanting to know what happened and how my favorite two main characters are dealing with the situations when they had been hold as hostages. I couldnt imagine myself in this situation (i ...more
Carly
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
It was alright. I liked this book but I didn't love it. The beginning of the story was really good and I was drawn in, but all the hospital scenes drained me and I found them a bit boring, so I found I was skim reading to get through them, which was where the romance kinda built for the two main characters. Sam is a police officer but it seemed she had no training whatsoever, not sure I would want her protecting me. The two main characters were really lovely though and I found I was rooting for ...more
Jane Shambler
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first!

This is my virgin novel by this author. I have to say I liked what. I read. It's a reasonably paced book and a great storyline. The other thing I liked was it was set in an English country village just outside Manchester. What I think I liked the most was I could really appreciate the descriptions of the scenery and the dialogue was definitely English. I say this with no disrespect to our American cousins but it was nice to have the connection of familiarity with the descriptions and he
T.T. Thomas
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Good Writing
Shelves: glbt
Taut and thoroughly engaging story that combines the tension of a thriller with the romance of two people brought together by circumstance, bound together by stark fear and bonded through a dawning mutual attraction that is a once tender and passionate.

Others have summed up the storyline, but I'd like to comment on the writing--it's excellent. Hunter's pacing is flawless, and she creates the perfect mood of ever-present threat through the careful use of sparseness and physical discomfort, charac
Tina
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
What caught my attention to Snowbound was that it was more than a simple romance where girl meets girl and falls in love. There was a lot of action in between that lead to their love.

Cari obviously works in the medical industry and she portrays this very well. I felt like I was there right in the midst of the action, smelling the blood.
+++

Spoiler alert!!

Occasionally I'm skeptical of extreme injuries in stories and movies and how the character would amazingly heal but Cari did a great job. Th
Alena
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, fiction
Enjoyed this one. Really liked the thriller aspect of this, it was very fast-paced and held my attention.

However, here I am a couple of days later and I'm already fuzzy on things, so it doesn't really stick around. Which is totally ok, I was just surprised that this was the case as I didn't have the time to jot down my thoughts right when I finished reading.
Stevie Carroll
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very British thriller with a gently simmering lesbian romance at its heart. I loved the descriptions of both heroines' families, friends and cats and the very typical British winter in which everything grinds to a halt in the snow. Being set in a part of the world I know well just added to the enjoyment.
Trin
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bloody hell, really love this book! I'm going to be fan of Cari Hunter now.
Ok, honest review, the beginning quite boring, and only until Kate went to the barn then all started to be exciting, thrilling, and so glad that the author keep the story realistic, and not a typical exaggerated action story. The only thing i hate in this story is the useless cops.
Jenifer
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I definitely loved this book! It had so much of what I love in a book, suspense, action, strong females,and beautiful romance! I would recommend this book to anyone, even if they were not into lesbian romances, that's not just why the book is wonderful; she keeps you on the edge of your seat. I am a fan of Ms. Hunter now, and I do hope that we wont have to wait too long for another book by her:)
Jessica Nguyen
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not too bad a story but I just need more of Sam & Kate love actions -- since I had to wait to the very end to see them get together. Having said that, I could feel a lovely couple built through a reasonable pace of chemistry development!
M. Van
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has an excellent hook and leaves us hanging with a cop shot and probably dying before time shifts. It continues with a thrilling hostage situation and then slows as if simmering down to an end… or does it. Definitely a read that holds your attention.
Carrie Carr
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very well-told story. I would have given it 5 stars, but some of the vernacular was a bit confusing for this Texan :-) I am looking forward to seeing more from the author - can't believe it was a debut novel!
Cheri
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed this book. Fast paced and some pretty intense scenes. Well written. I recommend it.

That about sums it up but if you want to read more, my full review is here: http://reviews.c-spot.net/archives/4090
Mostly Lesfic: Snowbound - Cari Hunter 40 41 May 28, 2012 11:41AM
  • Hunter's Pursuit
  • Conflict of Interest (Portland Police Bureau, #1)
  • Photographs of Claudia
  • Ice
  • Dust
  • Devil's Rock
  • Rainey Nights  (Rainey Bell, #2)
  • Parties in Congress
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
  • Mending Defects
  • Miles to Go: A Rennie Vogel Intrigue
  • Hard Times
  • Pitifully Ugly
  • Hostage Moon
Cari Hunter lives in the northwest of England with her wife, their cat, and a field full of sheep. She works full-time as a paramedic and dreams up stories in her spare time.

Cari enjoys walking in her beloved Peak District and forces herself to go jogging regularly. In the summer she can usually be found sitting in the garden with her feet up, scribbling in her writing pad. Although she doesn’t li
More about Cari Hunter...