Start by marking “POD Hollywood: A Third Memoir” as Want to Read:
POD Hollywood: A Third Memoir

POD Hollywood: A Third Memoir

3.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  208 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
"One thing I’ve always liked about Hollywood is its zip, or speed. The whole industry depends to some extent on talent spotting. The hundreds of agents, studio executives, and producers who roam the streets of the city of Los Angeles let very little in the way of talent slip by."

In this final installment of the memoir trilogy that includes Books and Literary Life, Larry M
Published August 16th 2011 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about POD Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about POD Hollywood

Brendan
Nov 12, 2010 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McMurtry is one of my all-time favorite authors. Hollywood is the third book in his autobiographical trilogy; of the three it is by far the best. When I first learned Larry was sub-dividing his life story I suspected it was some sort of scam to sell more books - kind of a one story for the price of three promotion. With some of his weaker books I have felt he was writing for commercial success alone or pressured by a publisher's deadline to complete a story. Hollywood is McMurtry's frank story a ...more
Grandma Weaver
Feb 04, 2013 Grandma Weaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book much more than the first two of this memoir. I almost felt like he was just sitting and telling me about his time and experiences. He told stoies about actors and directors, some I had heard about before but more that I hadn't. Hollywood is a strange town. The bottom line is the reason/chance for every movie made. He talks about working on a project for ten years and still have it fall thru. I thought some of the best stories were about agents. Some were really cutthroat storie ...more
SamT
Apr 11, 2016 SamT rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that only the staunchest of McMurtry fans would find enjoyable. Since I fit into that membership of staunch fans I select his third to be the best of his memoirs.
Having read all forty-three of his books (both good and bad) listed on the page previous to the title sheet I dreaded reading this one. I feared that it would be on the order of Film Flam: Essays on Hollywood, a short, mostly uninteresting McMurtry book which took me a long time to read.
The third memoir is also a short bo
Iva
Jun 29, 2010 Iva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larry McMurtry's take on Hollywood is unique as he has shifted between being a screenwriter and author. He is comfortable with Hollywood people, exposes the snobs, but has made real friends there such as Diane Keaton and Swifty Lazar. It is a quick read as were the two memoirs that preceeded it, but full of industry tidbits. A must for McMurtry fans -- wait til you read about McMurtry impersonators -- and those wanting to understand the workings of Hollywood.
Dan
Sep 05, 2010 Dan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this little memoir (apparently the third of three McMurtry has written on his life as a screenwriter and novelist) as I was browsing in the bookstore the other night. I'd like my money back - if I had to guess, I'd say that McMurtry belched this rambling trifle up one night in a matter of hours while hunting and pecking away at his manual typewriter over a couple (or five or six) highballs. Talk about phoning one in. What was the point of this?
(Lonestarlibrarian) Keddy Ann Outlaw
I've read most of Larry McMurtry's fiction, so I was curious enough to reach for this slim memoir. In short chapters, using a conversational style, McMurtry reviews his life has a "journeyman" scriptwriter. He has a fondness for Hollywood that comes through, and he makes no bones about the motive behind his involvement with some 70 scripts: m-o-n-e-y. Writing fiction did not always pay the bills, nor did bookselling. So Hollywood stood him well and gave him enterance to the sometimes glamorous o ...more
Linda
Apr 14, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This light-weight morsel of a memoir, is of little consequence. From THE LAST PICTURE SHOW to BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, McMurtry replays his film writing career in a careless and ho hum manner. He declares he loves to write fiction and it is easy for him. He confesses that screen writing is different than fiction writing, and that he had not a clue when Alan Paluka hired him work on a script of SPAWN OF EVIL. He extolls the talents of his writing partner Diana Osanna and does not brag that he has work ...more
Al
Jun 28, 2011 Al rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You’d think a writer associated with at least four major films—“Hud,” “The Last Picture Show,” “Terms of Endearment,” and “Brokeback Mountain”--- as well as a major television miniseries, “Lonesome Dove,” would have more enlightening stories to tell than Larry McMurtry does in Hollywood: A Third Memoir. McMurtry seems determined not to do more than skim the surface regarding the movers and shakers that he was worked with over the years. For example, he may tell the reader that he and Peter Bogda ...more
Edwin Arnaudin
What I hoped would be the most enjoyable of McMurtry's memoir trilogy ends up being possibly the most bland. You'd think that with so much experience in the film industry, McMurtry's anecdotes would carry a little more zing, but instead he goes out of his way to say that he really doesn't give a damn about Hollywood and finds the whole scene quite boring. Reading it, I was reminded of Neil Gaiman's Oscar diary from earlier this year in which he repeatedly noted how out of place he felt at the ce ...more
Jim Deak
May 09, 2014 Jim Deak rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably the weakest of the three memoirs. Part of the problem is that while it's about Hollywood, McMurtry's Hollywood is the Hollywood of script writers. He uses the same episodic style that he used in the first two books. Though, he does draws a few complete and lengthy portraits of a few eccentric behind-the-scenes players --mostly agents --but he doesn't say much about big names. In part, it's probably because that's the Hollywood he knew/knows. In the end, I read the first two books becaus ...more
Dave Young
slight would be my word for it
Perry
Dec 16, 2014 Perry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fitting finale to the slim memoir trilogy, but he didn't dish the dirt.
Deb
May 06, 2014 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
didn't like it much
Kathi Jackson
Feb 16, 2016 Kathi Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very short book with fun information about McMurtry's dealings with Hollywood.
Steve
Aug 13, 2010 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third of McMurtry's memoirs talks about his experience as a screenwriter and as the author of filmed books. No Nathanael West, McMurtry's experiences have been mostly good, leading to an Oscar for his screenplay for Brokeback Mountain. Generally he seems to have faced things with a pretty matter-of-fact attitude, knowing that most screenplays don't get filmed, and knowing that the author's role is a limited one. One chapter, about short chapters, made me laugh out loud.
Bcoghill Coghill
May 25, 2011 Bcoghill Coghill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read McMurtry's earlier books in this series I did not have high hopes and I was not disappointed. Still I love his style even when there is little substance.
I think it was chapter 26 where L.M. says in response to complaints that he has lots to say about many things but not much to say. heh.
Mark Hiser
Jun 12, 2011 Mark Hiser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant diversion. What I liked most about the book was McMurtry's strong voice as he reflected on his Hollywood years, ranging from Hud in the 1960's to Brokeback Mountain in 2006.

He seems like a man who enjoyed Hollywood for what it is and can smile at its hype.
John
Nov 01, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If nothing else it gives some insights as to how film makers choose material for their screen plays. As with all of his work this was entertaining but pales in comparison to his first two memoirs.It on;y takes a couple of hours to read so it's worth the time you give to it.
David
Dec 09, 2010 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The third and last of McMurtry's dashed off memoirs. Despite the second memoir about his literary career being so weak I thought I'd follow through to the end. This one was marginally better than the second memoir but that is about as faint of praise as you can get.
Kris
Sep 18, 2010 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like McMurtry's self effacing style. He shares his experiences in Hollywood as a screenwriter and understands the fickle nature of fame. Unfortunately, this sliver of a book only scratches the surface of a fascinating subject.
Reader
Jun 20, 2011 Reader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this 4 stars except that I 'm really not that interested in Hollywood. I picked the book up because McMurtry always delivers in his "aw shucks, I really am just a good-ole-boy" fashion. I was not disappointed
Bill
Aug 27, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very thin third volume of Larry McMurtry's memoirs. Reads as though no editor participated in the preparation. Disappointing to find redundant sentences and even some bad grammar-shortcomings never evident in his novels.
Virginia Albanese
Very short third memoir which has antidotes and bits about his years of screen wrting in Hollywood. Mildly interesting with a lot of names I don't even recognize.
Herb
I didn't much care for this, the third in a trilogy. The first two books "Books" and "Literary Life" were much fun to read, but this one is a clunker. Beware!
Deb
Another flimsy memoir with little substance, and what there is is carefully pruned. Too many of the people one wants to know about are still alive.
Cooper Renner
The third volume in McMurtry's memoir series, about his life as a screenwriter and his Hollywood interactions. Slight and breezy, and fun.
Tim Heaney
I love McMurtry, but this is a disappointment. More of an outline than a book. I finished it in under an hour.
Hulananni
Interesting to me because I was born in Los Angeles, raised in Hollywood, daughter of a cinematographer.
Jim
Not his best work. Repeptitive and often uninteresting, though there are a few nice tidbits.
Roberta
Interesting tidbits on writing for Hollywood, but certainly not detailed like his novels.
  • The Name Above The Title
  • Conversations with Ernest Hemingway (Literary Conversations)
  • Soul of a Whore and Purvis: Two Plays in Verse
  • Notes: On the Making of "Apocalypse Now"
  • A Horrible Experience of Unbearable Length: More Movies That Suck
  • Village Of The Small Houses: A Memoir Of Sorts
  • The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 4: 1929-1935
  • Yossarian Slept Here: When Joseph Heller Was Dad, the Apthorp Was Home, and Life Was a Catch-22
  • Full Bloom: The Art and Life of Georgia O'Keeffe
  • Our Kate: Catherine Cookson, Her Personal Story
  • Off Main Street: Barnstormers, Prophets & Gatemouth's Gator: Essays
  • A Life on the Road
  • Born Naked: The Early Adventures of the Author of Never Cry Wolf
Larry McMurtry is the author of twenty-nine novels, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Lonesome Dove, three memoirs, two collections of essays, and more than thirty screenplays.

Among many other accolades he was the co-winner of an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain in 2006.

Larry McMurty was born in Wichita Falls Texas in 1936. His first published book Horseman, Pass By was
More about Larry McMurtry...