Start by marking “The Last Great Day” as Want to Read:
The Last Great Day

Read Excerpt

The Last Great Day

The year is 1969. Henry Conroy is a minister in an American doomsday cult based in England. Becoming a father for the first time, Henry moves his family home to Australia where his wife, Elizabeth, is reunited with her parents and pregnant, sickly sister.

When, as a result of their beliefs the family suffer a series of avoidable tragedies, Henry begins to question the true
Published by Benjamin Grant Mitchell (first published March 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Great Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Great Day

Benjamin Mitchell
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in cult survivor stories or historical fiction (set in 1970s)
Currently 'The Last Great Day' has four 5 STAR reviews on Amazon...

"I enjoy autobiographies, and I felt like a voyeur reading this real drama exposing a family's intimate involvement with a cult and the ripple effects. Set aside a day on the couch as you won't want to put it down." K.D.

"I was a member of this cult for 28 years. Reading this book brought back a lot of memories. More people need to understand this sort of thing, because it happens more often than people think. I would definitely r
Aisha
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this novel in a GoodReads giveaway.
PS: A BIT OF A SPOILER ALERT.

This is a story about a family who is in the World Wide Church. The father, Henry, is a minister of this church and his family's whole life is regulated by what the church says is or is not permissible. Oh, and its a Doomsday Cult. The self proclaimed prophet of God, Harmon w. Abraham, predicts when the world is going to end, and also sets guidelines for all members of the World Wide Church to abide by. Some of the rules are
Toni Kely-Brown
I wanted to read this book because religious cults fascinate me. How usually a single man claims to be a prophet or God's word comes through them and so so they build a church that is based on control and fear all because human beings are terrified of the thought of not "existing" after they die! Some examples I can think of include Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses and even Hillsong. These "churches" are basically massive corporations whose leaders live in luxury and they control their "flock" through ...more
Erin
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was surprised at how easy of a read this was. I expected with its heavy subject matter and the thick, big pages of text that it would take me awhile to get through. However, I finished it in only a few days, having been drawn in by the blunt honesty of the narrative. I was constantly guessing (based on the dedication page) which character the author was, and I'm fairly certain he was the older son, Jacob, as much of the book is from his point of view.

Benjamin Mitchell did a phenomenal job of
Michelle
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone raised in the WWCG, this book brought back many memories. There were parts of where I felt like he was writing MY story. I happened upon it on Amazon quite by accident, but I'm glad that I did. Or maybe not, God works in mysterious ways. Regardless of your personal experiences, this book is well worth the read.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

Benjamin Mitchell’s writing style, and straightforward narrative make the reading of the story flow beautifully.

Read full review in the 2012 July/August issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Julie
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although the story is fictionalized, the author gives a very accurate account of what it's like to be in a group like this. I found it very interesting. I would recommend it to anyone who is curious about cults and how they operate.
Katie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
This could have been a pretty good book but I think it really needed an editor and would have benefited from being told as the true story, rather than being fictional with a lot of facts. Cult stories usually tend to fascinate me but this book seemed too long and drawn out at times.
Nikki
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Uncomfortable read, but likely part of the point.
Susan Patterson
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
A fact based non fiction story about a dooms day cult, very scarey and appalling!
Ben