Start by marking “French Kiss (Diary of a Crush, #1)” as Want to Read:
French Kiss (Diary of a Crush, #1)

French Kiss

(Diary of a Crush #1)

When Edie and Dylan first see each other in photography class, an instant attraction draws them together. But true love never does run smoothlythe two spar as much as they can't keep their hands off each other. Then comes the college trip to Paris: Edie's willpower will be tested to the limit! In between furious arguments and trips to the Louvre, the two share some ...more
Published July 15th 2004 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about French Kiss, please sign up.
Lewai Ngatai-McCaskill i think olivia holt will be a perfect match to this love sequence because i see that she fits edie's personality and fashion sense.…morei think olivia holt will be a perfect match to this love sequence because i see that she fits edie's personality and fashion sense. (less)

Start your review of French Kiss (Diary of a Crush, #1)
Nic
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, young-adult
Diary of a Crush was kind of crappy.

This book is written in diary enteries and it sometimes lacked emotion. It was hard to get a feel of what was going on at the beginning. The first half the writing was really choppy and kind of disconnected but the second half had picked up and had a nice flow and started to get that emotional connection that was missing in the first bit.

Edie, she drove me mad. She kept kissing and crushing after Dylan even when he treated her like dirt. The guy is moody and a
Joy (joyous reads)
I can't even...I can't--I have no words other than I cannot finish this. I'm at page 42 and I have to stop. I'm so sorry. I don't want to be mean but I'm one of those readers who takes on the character as if it were me. Edie--oh my girlfriend, I know you're young and all but I hope and pray YOU DO NOT EXIST in real life. She's as flaky as flake can be. Shallow and a pushover when it comes to Dylan. She was just plain unlikeable.

Dylan. Good Lord. I've never developed such hatred for a love
Evey
1 "diary of a FAIL" stars

This book was unbelievable bad. I've read a book by Sarra Manning before (You don't have to say you love me, to be precise) and I really enjoyed it. But this one? I cringed while reading it, and wanted to slam my tablet against the nearest wall.

Basically, this is the story of some whiny, bratty and annoying teens. Our main character, Edie, is sixteen and acts like a selfish bitch. Her reactions are worse than a five year old's could be when their parents decide not to
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
I had heard amazing things about Sarra Mannings books. Theyre supposedly light, funny, romantic and adorable. I know that French Kiss isnt her best work, but thats why I decided to read it with Jasprit [The Reader's Den]. What better way to start than not with the best work and move forward from there? Ok, it sounds a bit weird, but thats what I thought. While French Kiss was quite light and definitely funny, it didnt exactly sit right with me either.

It wasn't like I'd woken up and decided to be
Donna {Book Passion For Life}
"Dylan could make kissing the most exciting activity in the world. He kissed my shoulders and the stroked all the hair back from my shoulders before planting little butterfly kisses on my forehead and my eyebrows and my eyelids before reaching my mouth again. And when he kissed my mouth, it wasn't like those kisses you tell your friends about where you joke about boys trying to slip you a bit of tongue; it was as if he was touching my soul."

The Diary of a Crush series is one I've been aware of
Steph Su
Apr 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is, quite literally as the title says, a diary of a crush, a crush thats probably very obsessive as Edie is completely immersed into it. 16-year-old Edies family has just moved to a new town. Edie finds her new classmates hard to know, but there are several who intrigue her most. One of them is Dylan, the hot but moody artist whos the guy of every girls dreams. The other is Shona, Dylans best girl friend since childhood, a cool girl whos got it all together.

Edie develops an epic
Ari
Oct 30, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: annoyed-me
I liked the cover so i wanted to read this book, and the reviews were good enough.. or so i thought.
i would give it 0 stars if i could. i didn't like the characters at all, and the story line was plain boring and silly. i wouldn't recomend this book.
Debby
3 stars

Oh, French Kiss. You adorable little book, you. *pets* I'll say upfront that I didn't like French Kiss nearly as much as my all-time favorite, Adorkable . But still there is so much enjoyment in this book, and I am sure by now that Sarra Manning is one of those authors of whom I want to read all their work.

I got off to a rocky start with this book. Edie, the main character, is a weird one. At first I totally couldn't place her personality (or rather, figure out if she had one or not).
Annie
Oct 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone .
This book was about a girl named Edie who's new at going to collage. She firsts explains how she feels like a stranger on the campus. She goes to class and takes her courses, like Art. On the first few days, when she describes how she thinks she is invisible, a girl named Mia talks to her. As the book goes on, she learns more about Mia and turns out to dislike her. Edie makes other friends like Shona who has her back in everything. Throughout the book, Edie talks about her love for her fellow ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
This book is a little guilty pleasure for me. A fantastic start to the Diary of a Crush series.

Although it's been years since I first read of Edie and Dylan (almost a decade!) I still think back to this book - well, this series - and wonder about the characters and re-imagine the situations.

It's a slightly fluffy story, very teenagery and fun. And frustrating. If there is anything frustrating in this book then it's Edie and Dylan for the majority of this book. He treats her like crap and she
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 32

If I hadn't loved a Sarra Manning book in the past, I don't know if I would have tried so hard. Sadly, the voice is bland, the characters aren't strong, and the first kiss just left me feeling nothing but irritation. Considering that Debby wasn't impressed with the series as a whole, there's no point wasting my time. Check her reviews for the full story. I would link but I'm on my iPad.
Sita
Hmmm. I like it. But my e-reader keeps screwing up saying UnKnown error. GRRRR!! I want to know how it ends!!

Now it's ended and I say hmmm again.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

I really like reading books that are in diary form, and author Sarra Manning doesn't disappoint with the diary of Edie (short for Edith) Wheeler, a sixteen-year old college student living in Manchester, England. I will admit that it was sometimes difficult for me to follow along with this book, mostly due to some terms I wasn't familiar with and situations that are different from those in the United States. Once you realize, however, that A-levels in college
Viva La
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
real rating: 1.5

Okay, i though this would be a good book, thinking it would be funny (like how meg cabot wrote the princess diaries) but the writing at the beginning was pretty blunt and choppy-ish, and didn't really flow. It did pick up afterwards, but didn't sound really like a diary anymore. Anyway, the problems i had with this book was how much Edith went on and on and on and on about Dylan. that's it. there was nothing else happening in the book apart from Dylan kissing her every 5 seconds
Jianne
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fangirl-for, e-books
This is a fun, humorous yet filled with ups and downs book. First of all, Edie's voice is just so entertaining. Just like a real fangirl obsessing over a hot boy. I can totally relate.

However, it just has a lot of ups and downs. Like a real roller coaster ride. And I really hate those characters who don't know what they want and just end up manipulating other characters. Needless to say, no matter how hot and attractive Dylan is (and I suspect they're British, all the more reason for my knees to
Trisha
Feb 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This reminded me a lot of Bridge Jones diary. Not only is it told through diary entries, but this girl just seems neurotic.

She can't seem to breath or think around Dylan and makes a fool of herself constantly. She starts at a new school and struggles to make friends. When she's suddenly befriended by Mia, she is brought into Dylan circle - of crazy girls, backstabbing and girlfriend swapping. It was hard to keep up who was kissing who and who was mad and just...yeah, it was all crazy.

But she
Kirsty
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ukya, uk-author
Reading this book made me feel 10 years younger. I first read this story via J17 and loved it then and was absolutely delighted to dip back into them again.

I love Edie and all her crazy and infuriating teenage ways and I loved moody art boy Dylan and their confused and ever complicated relationship.

Fuller review for the entire series as a whole to come on the blog as soon as I've finished the next two books.
Witchmetal
I got to 17% with the book before I just couldn't handle it anymore. I wanted to stab the main character.
Becky
Honestly, I think this might have been a good read for me if I was 10 years younger than I currently am. Granted, I bought it a few years ago but I think I'd have even been too old then.

The characters are very immature to say they're in college (UK college, that is, not university). They're more like middle of high-school behaviour and temperament. It was rather amusing to see the arguments they got into, the upset they caused each other... it reminded me of being fresh in high school,
Sarah Hadd
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Uggghhh. Well I guess I chose this knowing it would be simple, and not Shakespeare or anything, but I expected to maybe like ONE of the characters? Or not find TOO many faults in the story line? Sadly, this was not the case.
I have no idea how to rate/review this one because it was a bit of an odd reading experience.
Danielle
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

Gather round kids! Im going to tell you a story about the good ol days! A time before Twitter, iPhones, and gasp! the Kindle!!! No it wasnt 1875! It was the late 90s and I was still a teenager (physically anyway, emotionally I still am and to be honest my chest never got the puberty memo O-O) reading my fave teen mag J17.

Every month there was a serial called Diary of a Crush featuring uber cool cat Edie and her epic romance with the sulky but sultry
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
Sweet. Fun. And full of Ups and Down

Oh, there are no words to describe how much I loved this book! I finished this book yesterday.
And it was SO GOOD!! yup its kinda typical story of boy-love-girl and girl-love-boy but theres something that its make so good, like the way of the author written it.
I really like the way in which this book was written, its the first book I read that is in diary form. There aren't any chapters. Some are really short and some are super long. At first it really is
Em-em
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Edie and Dylan first met an instant attraction sparked between the two of them. As perfect as Dylan seems he has flaws that drives Edie insane and they continue to fight with each other. A trip to Paris will test both Edie and Dylan. The more they continue to fight with each other to more they realize that they can't keep their hands off each other.

This book is really cute. I had fun reading this. This is truly a realistic book. This is different kind of book because it is diary and I can
Emma
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Charlotte - Year 9

Personally, I loved reading French Kiss. The story is written in diary format, every entry detailed to such an extent you feel as if you are watching the plot unfold like a TV series. Sarra Manning has captured the emotions perfectly, each emotion whether sadness or excitement fuelled my desire to continue reading. The mix of romance versus teen heartache creates an exciting, gripping and relatable book.

French Kiss focuses on a new college student, Edie. At first Edie
Zoe and the Edge
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, romance, edgy
This book was surprisingly good.

I didnt actually know what this book was about, and was kind of dreading it. Im not into diary stories much. But the first paragraph grabbed me for the very simple reason that I too went to university/college before I was eighteen, and it was awkward as hell.

Edie starts off as a shy, overwhelmed, klutz. But enough time spent with her emotionally unstable college pals and she is sharpening up in no time. I liked that she learns quickly that she had to be her own
Amy
Jun 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Reading this was purely as nostalgia trip for me as I am sadly old enough to remember not only when this was seralised in my all-time-favourite teen girls magazine J17 - which, sadly, no longer exists - but to also remember way back when Just 17 changed format, shape, style AND title to become J17. I loved J17 oodles more than Sugar or Bliss or More because it felt more real, less condescending and infinitely more interesting. And just all around cooler, quite simply.

This is the first book in
Jenna
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lits
Recommended to Jenna by: Mareter
I liked it OK. It was fun, quick and easy read. Like no deep thinking needed. The storys about a girl named Edie who just transferred residence to a new town, and so shes the new kid, and she has this huge crush on Dylan. We read on her diary, and as diary goes-its very self-centered, and she went on and on about her life, mostly her love life. It was like reading a friends diary, or talking to a friend about her love life. Though I have to say for a diary, it was too detailed (I cant imagine ...more
Nadia
I don't know what the author is trying to teach the teens (Since it's written for early teens I'm guessing, no young adult in their right mind would like this thing) with this sort of message. The girl was a wrecking mess throughout the book only because a pretty boy with crappy attitude wouldn't go out with her since well I don't know, he's getting it for free dammit! He can kiss her senseless whenever he wants and then go around saying 'We are better off as friends'.

Just gah. Frustrating. 2
Lexi // libraryoflexi
So my original review was 5 stars whenever I first read it and that was okay! I did remember adoring this when I was whatever age I was years ago.
But definitely not 5 stars still as a 26 year old. I can see all the ups and downs and the somewhat toxic relationship.
But hey. I need a light fluffy (ish?) read so Im going to reread the other two books as well.

P.S. Im not actually sure when I read this series the first time but Im pretty sure I was in high school.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Rumour Has It
  • Widow Basquiat: A Love Story
  • Starter for Ten
  • The Longest Holiday
  • Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up
  • Empire High Untouchables (Empire High, #1)
  • Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2)
  • A Walk In The Park
  • The Painter From Shanghai
  • Fair Game (The Rules, #1)
  • The Boy Next Door (Soulmates, #3)
  • My Best Friend's Sister (The Masons #1)
  • The Dating Experiment (The Experiment, #2)
  • No Prince
  • Stepbrother With Benefits (The Masons #2)
  • Let's Be Just Friends (Just Friends, #1)
  • Waiting Game
  • Truth Game (Ocean Bay #3)
Sarra Manning is a teen queen extraordinaire. She spent five years working on the now sadly defunct J17, first as a writer and then as Entertainment Editor. She then joined the launch team of teen fashion bible Ellegirl, which she later went on to edit and has consulted on a wide range of youth titles including Bliss, The Face and More.

Sarra is now editor of What To Wear magazine. She's also been

Diary of a Crush (4 books)
  • Kiss and Make Up (Diary of a Crush, #2)
  • Sealed with a Kiss (Diary of a Crush, #3)
  • Diary of a Grace (Diary of a Crush)