Start by marking “Poirot's Early Cases” as Want to Read:
Poirot's Early Cases

Poirot's Early Cases

(Hercule Poirot #41)

Poirot's Early Cases iIncludes all 18 stories that were in the print version of this title. In The Plymouth Express, the body of the daughter of a wealthy American industrialist is found stuffed under a train seat. Problem at Sea finds a disliked rich woman murdered in a locked room on a ship. The King of Clubs involves a prince, his dancer fiancee, and a fiendish bit of b ...more
Audiobook, 1 page
Published February 5th 2003 by Audio Partners (first published September 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Poirot's Early Cases, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poirot's Early Cases

Start your review of Poirot's Early Cases
carol.
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poirot fans
I was looking for a Poirot short story for my kindle when I ran into this compilation for a bargain ninety-nine cents. Worth it? Sure. You can taste the flavor of Poirot in perfect lunch break-sized chunks, or moments in the car waiting for an appointment, or even when you just want a little something-something. Or perhaps you find the full-length books tedious with all their descriptions of little grey cells, the sending of telegrams, and the multitude of housekeepers and lady's maids; well, th ...more
Evgeny
This is a collection of 18 short Poirot stories. Almost all of them were written early in Agatha Christie's writing career and as such they are miles ahead of later novels in terms of excitement. On the negative side they are too short and some feel like outlines instead of full-fledged stories. Speaking about excellent short mysteries I still think the only writer who could unfailingly produce them was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes shorts never failed to deliver.

Coming back to this c
Adrian
Another 4 star review for Agatha and Hercule (I feel I know them both well enough to be so informal ) although that said, it did only scrape into the 4 star category. Now whether that is because I have overdosed on Poirot shorts (some kind of new trouser ware ?? ) or because they were not quite up to the expected standard I do not know. Either way all 18 stories were enjoyable, although similar to “Poirot Investigates “ some were better than others. In fact some of the more (can I use the word) ...more
Simona B
"To have patience with stupidity is difficult for the quick-witted."

Some are great, some less; as it almost always happens with short-stories, after all. Personally, I have a prediliction for Wasps' Nest, while The Third Floor Flat was probably the most unsatisfactory of them all -how could he think he would never be implied in that homicide? TSTL criminals are so not my type.
Poirot, on the other hand, is as adorable and brainy as ever. It would be only silly of me to deny that he is the love of
W
Jun 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christie
This is very early Christie,first published just a few years after Agatha Christie began her writing career. She was still honing her craft.

In her autobiography,Christie wrote that she regretted that she made her Belgian detective,Hercule Poirot,very old to begin with.

(She also didn't make him look all that attractive,with the ridiculous moustache and the egg shaped head.Whenever I see Poirot in a film or TV adaptation,his appearance doesn't thrill me).

There are eighteen short stories.I found ju
Vikas Singh
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
Collection of 18 stories that feature Hercule Poirot, it has been chronicled by his faithful friend Hastings. These cases solved in the initial years, went on to establish Poirot's solid reputation as a formidable detective. One of the cases reveal how Poirot came to own the only shares he ever invested in-those of a mine in Burma. The collection also includes one of the two cases that he helped solve for the British government
Andrea
3 stars for the stories, 5 for the amazing narration. Seriously. What could be better than listening to Poirot short stories read by Poirot and Hastings themselves?

The stories themselves weren't really my favorites. I mostly listened to this to see how I like David Suchet and Hugh Fraser as narrators and it turns out, I LOVE them. Seriously. Poirot Suchet is truly a gifted narrator, jumping with such amazing ease from character to character, from voice to voice, accent to accent, that sometimes
Shabbeer Hassan
David Suchet as the eponymous Belgian super-sleuth, Hercule Poirot outshines his ITV series portrayal in this audio narration. His ability to give life to each and every character in these 18 cases is quite exemplary. Rarely have I heard such brilliant narration and is quite in league with Ralph Cosham's version of Louise Penny's books. Also, present are some stories narrated by Hugh Fraser who is quite good too!

My Rating - 5/5
Brooklyn Tayla
And this ends a long overdue Agatha Christie reading binge. Every one of these short stories presented such a delightful puzzle, I will always enjoy re reading and enjoying them. Poirot and Hastings, and of course AC, never disappoint :)
Gayatri
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to read these short stories. Some of them were quite interesting and some were just fine and others were just very predictable.
I have rated all the stories individually but as a whole this book deserves 3.5 stars in my opinion.
Teri-K
I'm not a huge fan of Christie's short stories, but this collection has a lot of good ones. There are 17 stories in this collection, so I'll just mention the ones that stand out for some reason.

The Affair at the Victory Ball - I've never cared for this confusing story of costumes and drugs smuggling. It just seems dull to me.
The Adventure of the Clapham Cook - I really like this amusing story.
The Cornish Mystery & The Adventure of Johnnie Waverly - both pretty good.
The Chocolate Box - Poirot's o
Jan C
This was an okay selection of early short stories of Poirot. Only unfortunate thing is that they were all televised and I saw them all innumerable times. But, I do have to say, that in each case the stories did differ from the televised versions. Thank goodness.
Chi
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it due to my fondness for the movie of The Murder on the Orient Express.
Diana Long
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of 18 short stories featuring Hercule Poirot. Some of the stories also are shared with other book collections by the author. This collection contains the following stories:
"The Adventure of Johnnie Waverly,"
"The Adventure of the Clapham Cook,"
"The Affair of the Victory Ball,"
"The Chocolate Box,"
"The Cornish Mystery,"
"The Double Clue,"
"Double Sin,"
"How Does Your Garden Grow?,"
"The King of Clubs,"
"The Lemesurier Inheritance,"
"Lost Mine,"
"Market Basing Mystery,"
"The Plymouth
Kim Kaso
Mostly hits, a couple of misses, many classic Christie stories with the little grey cells on full display. Time spent with Hercule Poirot is always time well spent. I have seen many of these done with David Suchet & it is interesting to contrast the short story with the way the tv portrays it. Hastings is much more a comic foil on tv, and some of the stories become farcical in the hands of the television writers. It is good to go back to the originals and readjust my reading taste buds. Highly r ...more
Catherine Ryan
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really nice collection of short stories. Some stories are almost identical to other short stories (The submarine Plans = The Incredible Theft and The Market Basing Mystery = Murder in the Mews) and at least one - The Plymouth Express - is a short version of the Poirot full-length novel The Mystery of the Blue Train. But every story is enjoyable, with Poirot at his best.
Lisa
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant collection of Hercule Poirot stories. Recommend the audio version.
This is my Poirot!:-

Joana
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprising as Agatha Christie can be in her books. It's worth reading. This book is a collection of short stories. Hope to read more of Monsieur Hercule Poirot!
Raimondo Lagioia
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
With a whopping eighteen stories, this is the quintessential Poirot anthology, and the one I'd recommend Christie tyros to get. Utterly addictive, I finished the entire thing in just a couple of days. And really, at its current price this gem is such a steal (hah!).

It contains my favorite Poirot petit cases, to whit:

Double Clue - where the redoubtable vixen Countess Vera Rossakoff makes her entrance.

The King of Clubs - when push comes to shove, it's always to one's family that one turns to.

The C
Mukesh Kumar
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christie and Poirot lovers
" Poirot had a good opinion of Japp's abilities, though deploring his lamentable lack of method, but I, for my part, considered that the detective's highest talent lay in the gentle art of seeking favours under the guise of conferring them ! "
---- musings of Captain Hastings in 'the affair at the victory ball'

Well that sums it up nicely, doesn't it ? With the neat little revelation that it is Captain Hastings actually who detests Japp more than Poirot, apparently.

And by the way, 'Poirot's ea
Damaskcat
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an entertaining collection of eighteen well written short stories featuring Hercule Poirot. If you haven't read any of Agatha Christie's Poirot stories, then this collection would be a good place to start. I felt that Poirot came over as less arrogant and sure of himself than he is in some of the books and he even tells Hastings about one case where he felt he failed.

The stories are narrated by Poirot's friend, Hastings and cover a variety of crimes including murder, kidnapping and theft
✿ Deni
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I normally don't enjoy short stories, however, this book felt somehow different to all the others I read and I enjoyed most of the stories.

I think some of them would be even better if they were a bit longer, like The Adventure of Jonnhie Waverly and The Veiled Lady. Others were perfect the way they were and managed to keep me holding on and surprise me with the ending even with just a few pages, such as Problem at Sea.

Most of them I already knew from the David Suchet's movies, which are so good
Tyler Jones
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-most-cozy
A book to keep at the cabin or to read on vacation. You wont mind if your flight is delayed for twenty minutes because it will give you time enough to read another story. I was struck at how closely modeled these mysteries were on the Sherlock Holmes stories that appeared in the Strand - a fact Christie herself winks at throughout. Good fun with only a few politically incorrect statements to make the 21st century reader squirm a bit, and these are invariably spoken by the unlikable characters an ...more
Claire Peal
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Agatha Christie. Each story is unique yet familiar, the main characters are developed, idiosyncratic, flawed but appealing. I particularly like these short stories as all my mundane chores can be broken up with a cuppa and a tale. I really enjoy the escapism but feel that I am also being educated as the vocabulary is sublime. Looking forward to my next dose of Poirot already.
Mayra
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories are all-together amusing. But they lack the character development and the intricate unfolding of each case that I usually find in Christie's novels. But, still, if you're a fan of hers, it's a definite must-read.
John Frankham
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
Poirot short stories. The ones used for the early ITV David Suchet series.

Very, very reminiscent of Conan Doyle. For Holmes and Watson, read Poirot and Capt.
Hastings.

Good, solid plotting and manipulation of rather stock characters, but enjoyable fun and puzzles.
Anneta K.
I wasn't thrilled reading these short stories but oh we'll, it's Agatha. I can't give her less than 3 stars!!!!
Anantha Narayanan
A great collection again on Hercule Poirot.
Niki (nikilovestoread)
I am really enjoying reading through Agatha Christie's Poirot books. Since I am following the recommended order on the Agatha Christie site, this was the fourth book I've read in the series. I do prefer the longer mysteries, but I just love Poirot and all his quirks and Agatha did write some great short stories. Of course, I loved some more than others, but I really did enjoy the book quite a lot.
Kyrie
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a nice collection of mysteries, none very long. About the time I got bored with Hastings' lack of cleverness, the next story wouldn't feature him. And yes, there's a Miss Lemon one. She's nearly the perfect secretary for Poirot. I love how bored she gets when he asks her to use her imagination.

If you just want a bit of Christie, these are nearly as perfect as Miss Lemon.

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Spider's Web
  • Bitter End (Annotated): The First Nero Wolfe Novella
  • The Rhodes Case (A Markham Sisters Cozy Mystery Novella Book 18)
  • Lampi nella nebbia
  • The Unbelievable Truth: Series 2
  • Britain: The Unauthorised Biography: From the Big Bang to Brexit
  • The Unbelievable Truth: Series 3
  • The Medieval World I: Kingdoms, Empires, and War
  • The M Word

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)