Start by marking “Evangeline and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Evangeline and Other Poems

Evangeline and Other Poems

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A collection of poems by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), including Evangeline, The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, The Children's Hour, and selections from The Songs of Hiawatha.
Published December 31st 2010 by Wildside Press (first published January 1st 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Evangeline and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evangeline and Other Poems

Mike
Jul 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to read something to a bedridden person they hate
I read this aloud to my plant Evangeline and it died. Thank ye, Shannon. ;)
Mona
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This edition of selected poems by Longfellow features the epic poem "Evangeline", which narrates the tale of two lovers separated during "The Great Upheaval", or Britain's forced removal of the Acadian people to the American colonies during the French and Indian War. The poem relies heavily on natural imagery and invocations of the Trinity, and is written in dactylic hexameter, which was also used for Homer's Illiad and Odyssey.

Despite really liking some of the other (shorter) poems in this col
Christopher
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Dover Thrift Edition makes an economical and convenient introduction to the work of Heendry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), the American poet who sort of provided the antithesis to Walt Whitman by always looking back to the continental European canon in writing verse on American themes. The volume contains his long poem "Evangeline" and is rounded out with 9 shorter poems.

"Evangeline" (1847) is a long poem in dactylic hexameters on the expulsion of the Acadians, the French settlers of Nov
Brian
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008
You know... you would have thought that this is something I should have read already. I'm a Cajun. My dad traced our ancestors back to Grand-Pre and to France. In fact we went to France a couple of years back and found the home of some of our ancestors that after fleeing Grand-Pre resettled in central France. I grew up in the swamps of Louisiana after my great-great-great... grandfather fled south. This is about my culture and I overlooked this gem for 47 years.

Well, it was a good read, though s
Esther
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rare is the poem that fills my heart with longing and love. Rare is the poem that is read through glimmering tears. Yet such is the poem of Evangeline. Take up this treasure, let your eyes fall upon its resplendent beauty, let your heart be filled with the love therein that one day, perhaps, our own tales could boast of such faithfulness as that of Evangeline.
"Talk not of wasted affection, affection was never wasted;
If it enrich not the heart of another, it's waters, returning
Back to their spri
Dylan Grant
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, christian, fiction
I really wasn't prepared for how intensely good this book was. Henry Longfellow's love for his European ancestors shines through in every word, and as a man of European descent who is also intensely proud of the accomplishments of his ancestors this book really resonates with me.

The first couple of poems in this book are just plain fun. Especially "The Skeleton in Armour", which could easily be told at a campfire for both its atmospheric creepiness and for its homage to the Scandinavian sagas.
Valerie
I recently read an edition of Evangeline in which about half the book was taken up by critical material. This version is almost solely the texts of this and other poems, though there is information (in the table of contents) as to where to find the originals. It claims to be 'unabridged'--we'll see how Evangeline compares. Ok, it's more or less comparable, less most of the glossary and critical material. There are some glossing footnotes, which still don't cover things like Longfellow's use of t ...more
Jim
I like this collection even better than The Children's Own Longfellow. For one thing, this volume includes both parts of Evangeline, whereas The Children's Own Longfellow included only the first part. This volume also contains the sonnets Mezzo Cammin and The Cross of Snow, a rumination on the death of Longfellow's wife, and six sonnets that Longfellow wrote while translating the Divine Comedy.

I didn't realize until recently what a talented, learned man Longfellow was, translating poetry from l
Matthew Metzdorf
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love H.W. Longfellow. His woeful long free verse poem "Evangline" is among the most heartbreaking poems of American Literature. But more than that, the lesser known works featured in this volume show his range, with many beautiful rhyme schemes that have fallen out of use over the years. Couplets and Tercets and Odes to poets past round out this glorious volume that I got for a dollar thankyouverymuchhalfpricebooks
Bethany Richter
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't spend much time in poetry. But from my limited foray, Longfellow is my favorite.

I love rhyming, I'm not a fan of obscure symbolism. I like a ballad. Longfellow delivers.

Favorites: Evangeline,
Deena Scintilla
Read this YEARS ago but want to read it again with more maturity.
Kate Daly
Aug 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evangeline is an all-time favorite, which I share with my grandmother.
Jane
Sep 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jane by: Dave
Shelves: own
Got this book as a gift from a friend. It is a nice collection of poems by Longfellow, both short and lengthy (for a poem).
Michael
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Wonderful. One of my Favorites.
Rob Roy
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
My mother read this in school, and loved it. When I hit school, it had fallen out of the carruculum. I dare say, it is virtually unknown expcept for English majors today. I finally sat down and readi it, and my only disappointment was that I did not do so long ago. It is a love story with the back ground of the expelling of the Acadians in 1755. Two lovers are torn apart and transported. Evangeline spends the rest of her life in search of her beloved. Yes, it is a romance, but one that puts Harl ...more
Lydia Bouza
Jun 17, 2015
Rey Armenteros
Jun 23, 2012
Me
rated it did not like it
Aug 23, 2010
  • Ezra Pound: Poems
  • Morning Haiku
  • Appalachian Elegy: Poetry and Place
  • The Norton Anthology of Poetry, Shorter Fifth Edition
  • W.B. Yeats (Everyman's Poetry)
  • Love Songs
  • Poems by Robert Frost: A Boy's Will and North of Boston
  • Selected Poems
  • The Woman Who Fell from the Sky: Poems
  • The Canterbury Tales: Fifteen Tales and the General Prologue
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Arcadia
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)