Start by marking “Poor Puppy” as Want to Read:
Poor Puppy

Poor Puppy

(Bad Kitty PB2)

PUPPY GETS HIS OWN BOOK. Kitty's best friend stars in this zany companion to the best selling BAD KITTY. Poor, poor Puppy: Kitty isn't interested in playing, so all puppy's left with are: 1 Airplane, 2 Balls, 3 Cars, 4 Dolls... and 22 other toys. When he's done, Puppy's so tired, he takes a nap--and dreams of playing apple bobbing in Antarctica, Baseball in Brazil, ...more
Published July 24th 2007 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Poor Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poor Puppy

Start your review of Poor Puppy
Ray
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bedtime-stories
My daughter is a huge Bad Kitty fan!! So when she saw Poor puppy @library she had to check it out. She liked it very much but I personally thought is was lacking substance that Bad Kitty books always offered. Clearly I'm not the audience here. Poor Dad!!
Abigail
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bad Kitty Fans
Puppy, who was introduced at the very end of Bad Kitty , Nick Bruel's debut book about his badly behaved feline heroine, returns in this second picture-book, eager to play with his best friend. When Bad Kitty refuses to play with him, Puppy engages in a 1-26, A-Z list of activities, with his elusive feline companion (unbeknownst to him) keeping an eye on him. Then Puppy takes a nap, and dreams of another A-Z range of fun things he and Kitty could do together in various countries around the ...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Team Kitty and Team Puppy
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Sunny
Poor Poor Puppy!

Why doesn't Kitty want to play with you?

Does that make her a bad Kitty? Or does that just mean you need to show her how much fun she's missing?

Puppy wants to play even if Kitty doesn't want to. In this counting/alphabet book we follow Puppy on his journey through the house in search of things to play with. Along the way he finds uber tons of toys under the couch. Nice fuzzy toys with bells and mouse tails on them. This has perked Kitty's interest.

After a full day of play, Puppy
Sarah Sammis
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
Poor Puppy by Nick Bruel is the sequel to Bad Kitty. The puppy has arrived and Bad Kitty doesn't approve.

While the kitty is thinking of ways to torture the puppy, the puppy is working his way through any number of things to play with. But he really wants to play with the kitty and he dreams of an A to Z world tour of places to see and things to do.

As other reviewers have noted, the alphabetical lists aren't as off the wall in Poor Puppy as they are in Bad Kitty but it's still a fun way to lean
Colleen
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is very busy.
Mikayla
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Author Nick Bruel of the Bad Kitty series has created a book for Poor Puppy! This ABC/counting book is full of counting and ABC's as puppy finds something to do by himself. Poor puppy want's to play with kitty but since kitty isn't in the mood to play, puppy finds all the fun toys to play with by himself as he waits for kitty. Puppy wears himself out after all the playing so he decides to take a nap. During this nap, he dreams of kitty and all the places they could go A-Z around the world! When ...more
Stephanie
We love Bad Kitty and have read many of her books. We found this book at a garage sale and were surprised that we never heard of this title, "Poor Puppy!" This book reminded me a great deal of the original "Bad Kitty." This book did not fail to impress my children. My son loved stopping and counting the items in the pictures to make sure the correct amount was drawn. We also talked a bit about many of the pictures. Enjoyable bedtime book!
Maygan Cygert
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realistic Fiction
PreK-1st
I love this book for the educational purposes. I love that it counts from 1-26 and goes from A-Z at the same time. This book would greatly help kids learn there numbers and their ABCs at the same time.
Ryan
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a long time fan of Bad Kitty. And this was a perfect excuse to revisit Poor Puppy. I swear I am raising poor puppy right now. With all the things he plays with and all the dreams he has of going places. This book is fun, colorful, and a tongue twisting hayride of a fun story. More Please.
Emma Pruett
Good book for ABC and counting.
Bookworm's Nemesis
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun book with lots of visuals that go through the alphabet and numbers 1 to 26. A puppy really wants to play with kitty, but kitty does not want to, so instead the puppy dreams about it.
emyrose8
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute! Poor puppy wants to play, but cat doesn't. So he plays by himself... first counting toys and then dreaming of playing (ABCs and countries). Neat!
Edith
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poor puppy! The poor little guy knows how to have fun.
Natalie Pietro
I really loved the fact that my son read this whole book to me. He was so super excited. He sure is growing up quickly.
Jimmy B Grande
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All that Poor Puppy wants is to play, Bad Kitty isn't having it.
Cassidy Reed
Puppy wants Kitty to play, but Kitty doesn't want to today. Instead, Puppy decides to play with several toys. Puppy playing with these toys helps kids learn counting and the ABC's too. Next, Puppy is tired and decides to take a nap, dreaming about playing with Kitty. Puppy dreaming helps kids learn their ABC's a little better. Once Puppy wakes up, he plays with Kitty.

I did not really like this book because it did not flow well.

Poor Puppy would be great for younger kids who are just learning
Stephenie Barnes
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-to-read
I thought that this book was great. The story incorporates the alphabet and numbers. It goes up the alphabet by counting up and uses words that correspond with the specific letter. It also uses different words for the specific letter letting the children know the different words that letters begin with. In the story, the puppy dreams about different locations and things he can do like "Baseball in Brazil" or "Checkers in Canada". This allows the children to get familiar with different places ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Poor Puppy and Bad Kitty was my least favorite of the week. Puppy is sad because Kitty doesn't want to play. There's a lot of counting in this book as well, but it's of the traditional variety - 1 airplane, 2 balls, etc. It follows the whole alphabet (twice). It got very tedious for Christopher to read.

There's some country names involved in the second round of counting, so that made it even harder to read for him. Although, I still don't know how much we would have enjoyed it if I'd been
Amanda Harris
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Puppy wants to play with kitty, but kitty doesn't want to play...poor puppy! Puppy goes off and plays by himself. Going through the alphabet, he plays with airplanes, balls, cars, dolls...yo-yos, and zoo animals. Now puppy is tired so then he sleeps and dreams of playing with kitty in many different countries and yes, you guessed it, all the way through the alphabet! Once puppy wakes up, he wants to play and guess who he wants to play with??? KITTY!

Another great book by Nick Bruel. Bruel really
Michelle
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This sequel to Bad Kitty is not quite as good as the first book. It's a lot of fun, however, and my daughter who likes puppies loves it. The book goes through numbers and the Alphabet, as well as alphabetically visiting other countries. When you read it, pay close attention to the pictures. There's a visual subplot that my kids find as entertaining as the book (maybe even a little more.) Poor Puppy is sad because Kitty won't play with him, so he finds all sorts of other things to play with until ...more
Sandy
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
These pictures are hilarious and this ABC book is wonderful. Poor Puppy wants to play with Kitty but she doesn’t want to play with him so the only things he can play with these items listed in A-Z order for us to read including 8 hula hoops, 18 robots, 22 valentines, and 25 yo-yos. You are counting through the alphabet and counting the images on the page also. Poor Kitty didn’t want to play but she seems to be watching Puppy play and he seems to be having so much fun. So much playing…he’s tired ...more
Jackie
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Poor Puppy, written by Nick Bruel, this is a story about a puppy whose best friend is a kitty. Puppy and Kitty do everything together, but one day kitty can’t play. The puppy has to play all by himself. Poor puppy has various toys he can play with which helps him learn to count. The poor puppy gets so sleepy after he plays that he takes a nap and has interesting dreams. His dreams take him all throughout the world and teach him different letters of the alphabet. This book is excellent for ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Well, I'm putting this on my "read-cat-books" shelf, but Bad Kitty is only lurking in this one. The dog is called Poor Puppy, but most of the time he's got a perpetually sappy grin on his face and seems to be having a good time in just about every picture. The narrator of the book feels bad for Poor Puppy because Bad Kitty won't play with him, but Poor Puppy finds plenty to keep him entertained, as we count our way from 1 to 26 and A to Z. Then the story takes an odd turn, with Puppy dreaming ...more
Dolly
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have read many of the books in the Bad Kitty series by Nick Bruel. While the puppy has been introduced before, this is the first story that he's featured in. It's an alphabet, counting, geography book that is fun to read aloud, but isn't nearly as humorous as some of the stories featuring Bad Kitty. The illustrations are colorful and entertaing, and we enjoyed reading this story together, but we are certainly looking forward to reading Bad Kitty Meets the Baby next.
Ronda
Nov 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Poor Puppy offers another great chance to get in some ABC practice along with some 1-2-3 AND, bonus! An introduction to some place names from around the world. Now, if you just read it straight through, and don't talk about it any, it'll still be a fun book, but a missed opportunity. Just as a chance to introduce kids to names of places they may never have heard of is one thing, but this story lends itself easily to beginning lessons on using an Atlas or just finding some of the places on the ...more
Liza Gilbert
Aug 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Kind of a disturbing picture book. Puppy wants to play with Kitty, who doesn't return the sentiment. Puppy plays with all the toys he can find (counting up through numbers and letters of the alphabet). Through this journey, he plays with several dozen things that would kill a puppy if left around. Puppy then takes a nap and dreams of playing with Kitty in all different regions of the world. Many places and games are mentioned that kids will not understand. I give the book 1 star since the ...more
Cara Farmer
This book made me giggle while reading it. The poor puppy can not catch a break. All he wants to do is play with his best friend, kitty. I loved that the book counted all of poor puppies favorite toys and for each toy it matched a letter. After that they had great word play with how puppy played with his toys. It was cute and would keep any child excited and interesting. He was not a poor puppy at all, he was a playful puppy.
Heidi-Marie
Just as good as the first book "Bad Kitty." I love the drawings. Quite funny. I love the little details that you have to pay attention to in the illustrations in order to catch some of the humor or even to fully follow the story. But a young child won't miss much. This book works even MORE with letters, but also adds a number concept, too. And you can tell after both books that the author definitely has a thing for China. How could you not? :-)
Sharon
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I love Bad Kitty. In this one the main character is poor puppy, who wants to play with bad kitty.of course you know Bad Kitty wants no part of that. Poor puppy pretends then dreams of the things and places they could play. This is a fun book for an adult to read with a child. It is an AR book and not a friendly read for a second grade student on his/her own because of all the names of distant cities and places.
Beronica
Dec 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Puppy loves Kitty and wants to play with him. Kitty won't play. Puppy takes it on the chin and does his best to have fun without Kitty. Meanwhile, Kitty spies on Puppy and is in for a surprise! Like the book Bad Kitty, it uses the alphabet to list things but it also uses numbers 1-26 to count. This is a great story for children learning to be creative and not depend on others for their feelings.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • The Name Jar
  • The Gingerbread Girl
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • Three Hens and a Peacock
  • Love, Splat
  • Joseph Had a Little Overcoat
  • All at Sea
  • Stick Cat: A Tail of Two Kitties (Stick Cat)
  • The Night Guest
  • Little Polar Bear and the Brave Little Hare
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • Don't Be Silly, Mrs. Millie!
Nick Bruel is the New York Times bestselling author and illustrator of children's books including Bad Kitty, Bad Kitty Gets a Bath, Bad Kitty Meets the Baby, and Boing!, among others. Nick is a freelance illustrator and cartoonist, and during his down time, he collects PEZ dispensers and grows tomatoes in the backyard. He lives in Tarrytown, NY with his wife Carina and their lovely cat Esmerelda.

Bad Kitty (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Bad Kitty
  • A Bad Kitty Christmas: Includes Three Ready-to-Hang Ornaments!
  • Bad Kitty Scaredy-Cat