Start by marking “Sleeping Beauty and Other Classic Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Beauty and Other Classic Fairy Tales

Sleeping Beauty and Other Classic Fairy Tales

A collection of twelve classic French fairy tales, including "The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood", "Puss in Boots", and "Blue Beard".
Published September 11th 1991 by Random House Value Publications,U.S. (first published January 1st 1697)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Beauty and Other Classic Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Beauty and Other Classic Fairy Tales

Radwa
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Another "Sleeping Beauty" retelling, and despite sharing some common events, I like this way better than Giambattista Basile's version "Sun, Moon, Talia."

This shows the basic story we know from Disney's movie (except there's no Maleficent, instead there's an evil mother-in-law), but the difference is that it goes beyond the movie, and what happens in later year with some weird twists. It's not so gory and creepy, just your basic fairy tale, and I liked it.
Nandakishore Varma
Another read in Malayalam translation. I did not like this one much because nothing much was happening. My favourite part was the sleeping castle, frozen in time.

Confession: I used to fantasise about a princess sleeping somewhere, waiting for me to come and kiss her awake...
Alexandra Ibberson
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
This book contains Charles Perrault's classic fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty. In this classic/original version, King Stefan and the Queen wish for a child. When at last they finally get their wish, they name their daughter, Aurora. When they have a feast to celebrate her birth, the three fairy godmothers start to bless Aurora. Fairy godmother Flora gives her the gift of beauty, Fairy godmother Fauna gives her the gift of song, and Fairy godmother Merryweather starts to give her a gift but Malefic ...more
Terri Cullen
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Name of Book: Sleeping Beauty
Author: Charles Perrault
Star Rating: ****
Plot Summary:
This is a classic fairy tale about a young Princess who is born under the King and Queen of the land but an evil fairy claims that when she turns fifteen years old she will put her to sleep for one hundred years by pricking her finger. When the princess turns fifteen the wicked fairy pricks her finger and puts her and everyone else into the castle asleep. The spell can only be broken if the prince kisses the princ
Michele C
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4 Golden Stars

Before Reading: To be honest I was not looking forward to reading this at all. It was part of my AP English project where I had to analyze three different versions of Sleeping Beauty. I thought this version would be the same as the Disney version that I grew up knowing.I was very wrong...

After Reading:Charles Perrault's version of Sleeping Beauty is translated from French so each version varies slightly. However, one can note that his version is MUCH different than Disney's
Stéphanie
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many a girl has waited long
For a husband brave or strong;
But I'm sure I never met
Any sort of woman yet
Who could wait a hundred years,
Free from fretting, free from fears.

Now, our story seems to show
That a century or so,
Late or early, matters not;
True love comes by fairy-lot.
Some old folk will even say
It grows better by delay.

Yet this good advice, I fear,
Helps us neither there nor here.
Though philosophers may prate
How much wiser 'tis to wait,
Maids will be a sighing still --
Young blood must when yo
Amina
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have never loved that fairy tale, I couldn't find any morals, I mean, sleeping for 100 years, Ok, we can deal with that, but falling in love with the princess before even meeting her or seeing what she looks like? And a queen mother who's an ogress and who's planning to eat your family? Come on!
And asking the first guy you see when you wake up, "are you my prince?" while you should be frightened to death? :D are you kidding me?!
Anyway, I had fun reading the book with some new surprises that I
Inés
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
As usual, a really lovely fairytale =). I was very surprised by this story, really. I grew up with the Disney version, but my surprise was huge when I realized that the end of the movie was only half the book. I loved the details of the children of Sleeping Beauty and Prince, and the adventures they had when they moved into the realm of the prince. In short, a wonder that everyone should read.
Sidharth Vardhan
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read it for Christmas times. Although, written much before Grimm bros version (who borrowed a lot from Perrault), they are much better written here. The only problem is morals - why, why would someone feed moral tales to children?
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
This one is yet another version of the classic sleeping beauty, this has some old ogre known as the mother in law who wants to eat her grandchildren but was in a total failure little did she know aha it'll bite her ass in the end. Not so creepy like the one ive read before this.
Regis
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Was pleasantly surprised that this isn't an exact blueprint of the Disney movie. Though slightly darker in tone, (which I think is a positive), good triumphs in the end. I loved it!
Verity
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own, classics, e-books
I've come to the conclusion that fairytales aren't my thing outside of Disney films.
Leslie
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, this is a different story then I've ever read. The moral of the story at the end is very true. If only more people realized what others already knew! I hope you enjoy this story

Very different from other tellings, I liked the moral at the end. I read many versions to see how there stories very
Kayla Washington
My favorite Disney princess is Sleeping Beauty, so I loved this edition and its beautiful cover!!
Lynley
A flip through the table of contents may reveal a few unfamiliar fairytales. You may even ask, "Why didn't I find these in my childhood collections?" Read them and you'll find out why: There's gruesome murder, incest and misogyny aplenty in any old fairytale, but this collection highlights some salient examples.

If you haven't already I highly recommend turning next to a collection of Angela Carter's own short stories. She's a far superior writer to that Charles Perrault anyhow, and her feminist
Ietrio
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: junk
I don't get it: why do people insist reading this horrible stories to the children. Probably it is just a habit: they were read to them and they do the ritual all over without really caring for the values they are teaching.

Rape? Rape is good if you are doing it with a clean heart. And it's even better when you are a prince. Reminds me of coercive rape to cure lesbianism.

And killing? Killing is something that happens. How about the necromantic aspects of christianity? Exhibiting the body. That's
Amanda Kay
Moving right along. Lady and the Tramp is unique to Disney (well y'know, except for Happy Dan, the Whistling Dog, but don't get me started), so next is the lovely Sleeping Beauty.

I used the pitt.edu edition of this (no illustrations, just story). I think I've only previously read the Grimm version, because I had no recollection of an ogress trying to eat Sleeping Beauty's children!

I also read the pitt.edu edition for the Grimm version of the tale (Lil' Brier Rose). Interesting that Disney quotes
monica ♪
description

I don't know why I can't seem to find the exact same edition I own on goodreads.

The one that I own is a kindle edition I downloaded for free from Amazon, which contains 5 stories:
✿ The Sleeping Beauty in the Woods
✿ Puss in Boots
✿ Blue Beard
✿ Little Red Riding Hood
✿ Cinderella or the Little Glass Slipper

Those stories are kind of different from what I heard/read before. And to be honest I don't really like the Blue Beard story because, in my opinion, the story is too violence for children.

But it'
Julia
This was a beautiful book with plenty of colored pictures to catch the eye. The only thing about the artwork is the formatting seemed to be off for the background drawing seemed to be the edge of a page so you had the dark brown line running through the words and even though it was see-through it didn't help.

I enjoyed the various collection of stories that were included from Charles Perrault and although a few of the stories had some variations that I hadn't read before it was rather entertain
Addicted.To.Angel
OMG, I can’t believe these books are on goodreads.
The Green Library /“المكتبة الخضراء” is my childhood memories, my mother use to read me these books when I was Little before bed, and as I grew older I reread them again by myself as an activity in summer vacation.
These books are the first books that I have read and because of them that I started to love reading and they were definitely the beginning of my road into becoming the “bookworm” that I am.
Alycia Kelly
This story is about a child who had seven fairies as her godmothers. Six of the fairies gift the child, while the seventh has nothing to gift. With that being said, the seventh fairy godmother made it so that rather than dying, the Princess (child) falls into a deep sleep for 100 years and is awakened by the a kiss from the king’s son. I have always enjoyed stories such as this one. These stories are always so interesting to me.
Ameena
OMG, I can’t believe these books are on goodreads.
Paul
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd forgotten how violent Grimms fairy tales are. A formerly "OK" queen suddenly turns "ogre-ish" while her son, the king, goes away to fight a war. So in her ogre-ish state, she orders her head chef to cook her grandchildren so she can eat them. Having done with them, she orders a nice BBQ'd daughter-in-law for desert. Not a bedtime story I'd like to read to my children.
Julie
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspired to read the original tale after seeing "Maleficent," to try to determine the accuracy of the whole thing. Pleasantly surprised at the higher level of the plot of the original story, much simplified by Disney's retelling. Simple and to the point. The translation I read was from "Old-Time Stories told by Master Charles Perrault," translated by A. E. Johnson (Dodd Mead and Company, 1921).
Crystin Goodwin
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic tale told around the world

Sleeping Beauty has long been one of my favorite fairy tales, and while I knew there were a couple versions, I had no idea there were as many as this book provides! I particularly liked the Irish version, though it took awhile for the 'sleeping beauty' part to be revealed. Very educational!
Betty
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful presentation

This is a beautiful edition with gorgeous typeset, elaborate margins and magnificent drawings. I've never read Sleeping Beauty before, but this was a delicious treat...like a wonderful dessert. Short, sweet, and delightful. Thank you Amazon for these gorgeous Kindle editions of fairy tales. I feel like I found a pot of gold. Absolutely enchanting.
Sara
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustration and format

The kindle format is lovely and beautifully illustrated. This classic version is interesting and even a little funny. The kids were enchanted by this presentation.
Judah
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful artwork by Walter Crain, text is edited for space and slight political correctness ('Bluebeard', though oddly the sexual subtext of Riding Hood was left intact!), but otherwise is a beautiful ebook for young and old.
Mell
Aug 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This was another book I encountered through my grade school's library- a friend wrote a book report about Bluebeard's Wife and Hop o'My Thumb. We thought they were great at the time, but who decided gory and violent stories were appropriate for children?
Kara Thomas
I liked that it didn't end with the prince and princess getting married, but with the ogre mother-in-law trying the eat her grandchildren. Definitely not Disney. I think my kids would like this version more.
The Better Book C...: Sleeping Beauty: Grimm and Perrault vs. Disney 7 2 Jun 19, 2014 07:48PM

• الراعي الشجاع
  • عقلة الأصبع
  • في جزيرة النور
  • القداحة العجيبة
  • خاتم السلطان
  • جبل العجائب
Charles Perrault was a French author who laid foundations for a new literary genre, the fairy tale, and whose best known tales, offered as if they were pre-existing folk tales, include: Little Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, Puss in Boots, Cinderella, Bluebeard, Hop o' My Thumb), Diamonds and Toads, Patient Griselda, The Ridiculous Wishes...

Perrault's most famous stories are still in print today
“To wait so long/And want a man refined and strong/Is not at all uncommon. And yet to wait one hundred years/Without a tear, without a care/Makes for a very rare woman. So here our tale appears to show/How marriage deferred/Brings joy unheard/Nothing lost after a century or so. But others love with more ardor/And wed quickly out of passion/Whatever they do/I won’t deplore/Nor shall I preach a lesson.” 16 likes
“To get a perfect husband takes a wait That’s just the way things are; and you shall find That virtuous patience is the only bait To land one handsome, wealthy, brave, and kind. And what a sweeter pause has ever been? To sleep a century of peaceful dreams, And then, to better dreams, awake again! Such wait is joy, however long it seems. A long delay brings even greater bliss; The greatest bliss must suffer long delays. The god of marriage oaths has promised this: The love that comes most slowly, longest stays.    This moral’s hard to hear, because it’s true.    To even utter it is hard to do.” 8 likes