Start by marking “Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers” as Want to Read:
Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers

Street Freak: Money and Madness at Lehman Brothers

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  407 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
When Jared Dillian joined Lehman Brothers in 2001, he fulfilled a life-long dream to make it on Wall Street—but he had no idea how close to the edge the job would take him.

Like Michael Lewis’s classic Liar’s Poker, Jared Dillian’s Street Freak takes readers behind the scenes of the legendary Lehman Brothers, exposing its outrageous and often hilarious corporate culture.

I
Published September 13th 2011 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Street Freak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street Freak

Toe
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Jared Dillian is a lunatic. Literally. He was diagnosed as bipolar and obsessive compulsive for the first time in his life around the age of 31. How did he survive and thrive in his crazy stew for 31 years without knowing it? By working in the military and on Wall Street, of course.

Street Freak is a lesser version of Liar’s Poker. We follow Dillian’s career from his start at Lehman Brothers in 2001 through its collapse in 2008. Since the topic of resumes is ceaselessly brought up in Street Freak
Ensiform
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, jobs
An account of the author’s experiences as a trader and, to a lesser degree, the bipolar disorder that got him hospitalized and, ultimately, drove him to leave the industry to become a writer of market reports. Fresh out of the Coast Guard, wearing the wrong clothes and a graduate of the wrong school, Dillian was a fish out of water but soon started getting the respect of his peers with his manic trading, even as his fits of temper and rookie mistakes continue to draw unwanted attention. His acco ...more
Joe Peta
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"What's it like to work on a trading floor?" is probably the most common question Wall Street traders get asked by those outside the industry, especially from those who want to work at an investment bank someday. Since the late '80s, the answer has always been, "Read Liar's Poker." With Street Freak, Jared Dillian has forced me to update my answer. Street Freak should be required reading for MBA students and undergraduates majoring in finance prior to sitting down for their first Wall Street int ...more
Erik
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I was at the USCGA with Dillian in the summer of 1994. He was an upperclassman tasked with training me my first summer there. Let me be honest and unambiguous - I hated his guts, as did every other swab. The dude gave me and many others nightmares, but I suppose that had as much to do with my relatively coddled upbringing as it did with his mean spiritedness and his love with idea of being a faux drill sargent-type character.

All this said, I loved the book. I wanted to hate it,
Vitalijus Sostak
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is worth unquestionable 5-star rating. For me personally, it hit the nerve.
1) It's in the best sub-genre (autobiography + Wall Street); 2) it's honest, feels solidly authentic; 3) it portrays an author's career trajectory, and not just any - as a trader at major investment bank that happens to be a Lehman Brothers, right up to September 2008; 4) it's well-written and hard to put down even though we're talking about non-fiction here.

In other words: ALL the most interesting/exciting ing
Andrew Tollemache
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although I read a great many Street memoirs, it is a genre that has gotten pretty stale over the years. There are always tons of tales of debauched ways, porterhouse and Crown Royal diets and assorted hi-jinx. The characters all start to have a cookie-cutter quality: the young turk, bad asses, the 40ish, silverbacks who have seen it all and a mish mash of tools to serve as foils for snarky comments. Dillan, at times, flirts with padding this book with typical Street memoir tropes, but in the en ...more
Viktor Nilsson
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is basically 4 stories in one:
-The trading strategies commonly used in investment banks (index arbitrage, flow trading & market making, etc.)
-Life in Lehman Brothers and on Wall Street at large
-The author's personal story, mostly about how he came to work on Wall Street
-His struggles with OCD and bipolar disorder

What I like most of all is that Dillian doesn't take any stance as to whether "Wall Street" is good or bad (or anything else for that matter), neither from a moral nor prof
David
Apr 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
unfinishable (by me anyway) account of his experiences as stock trader. somewhat hard to follow, insider-y, but main problem for my reading was that I never became motivated to try to figure it out or get more familiar with this work environment. It's possible that I'm on the way to becoming a stick-in-the-mud, but for better or worse I'm bored of the mostly-male "shocking" writing style of making irreverent observations by cursing a lot.

There have to be other ways to convey that your work is s
Al Maki
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Most books about the collapse of the world financial system in 2008 suffer from the writer's desire to maintain an appearance of respectability in describing what was a stupid and sordid debacle. Dillian has no auctorial image to preserve and so is not hobbled by that constraint and it makes his book stand out. Even if the financial system hadn't been brought to its knees, his book would still have been worth reading as a study of greed on steroids.
Bill
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Wall Street terms, I am a piker - I know nothing of trading, stocks, or investing, and more importantly, it's not a topic I ever cared about. Until I read Jared Dillian's Street Freak. It's an immersive experience, written with gusto and such that it makes what was a dull topic to me sing. More importantly, it's a bold, brutally honest memoir full of pain, courage, and triumph. The author puts you on the trading floor and in his skin - it's a wild ride.
Blakely
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, biography
I know the author of this book through work, so it was one of the main reasons I picked it up to read. After reading it I was amazed at the world of trading that I had no clue about. I know nothing about the stock world and Wall Street...but the author explains it in a way I can follow and the story kept me on the edge of my seat. Very good read and VERY interesting!
Turney Duff
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look at the internal world of Wall Street. Not only do we get to go inside the trading room of Lehman Brothers, but we jump inside of the author's head, unstable at best, a sure fire recipe for success on the Street. One of the best bonuses of reading this book was the wit and humor - it was unexpected and extremely brilliant.
Jeff
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I picked up this book as research for a screenplay I'm working on and ended up devouring it in two days. I had approximately no knowledge or interest in Wall Street trading, but Dillian's writing is engaging, fast-paced and just plain fun to read. Of course I had heard a lot about Lehman Brothers in 2008 and beyond, but this front-row-seat account is riveting.
Harvee
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty stressful to read even though I understood only about 30 percent of the financial crisis Dillian talks about. Gave me a good sense though about what he went through after Sept. 1, 2001 during the Wall Street melt down.
Scott Bartley
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Very quick and entertaining. I remember the 2008 lehman meltdown like yesterday .
Allison
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
In truth, I didn't read all of this one--only excerpts--but he can write, and his story is an interesting one.
Tom Currier
Didn't read enough to form much of an opinion or critique of this book.
Marco
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business

A must to read: if you enjoy Liars Poker you'll love it!
Zar Tam
Aug 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
horrible boring book, couldn't find a reason to keep reading this useless book other than the fact that I was bored and wanted something to read on the train.
Irving Katz
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. highly recommended. not at all what you might think it is. fascinating.
C Grizz
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dillian is the man! #dirtnap
Gary F
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I really loved this book for it's amazing honestly and also how it never veered into the realm of parody. Highly recommended
Philip Shing
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This guy can write.
One of the more realistic accounts I've read on the struggles of making a place for yourself on the streets.

It made him a bit crazy.
Steve
Feb 05, 2012
reid spice
Dec 25, 2015
  • Hedge Hogs: A Cautionary Tale
  • Exile on Wall Street: One Analyst's Fight to Save the Big Banks from Themselves
  • It Takes a Pillage: Behind the Bailouts, Bonuses, and Backroom Deals from Washington to Wall Street
  • Dear Mr. Buffett: What an Investor Learns 1,269 Miles from Wall Street
  • Money and Power: How Goldman Sachs Came to Rule the World
  • Gods at War: Shotgun Takeovers, Government by Deal, and the Private Equity Implosion
  • Debt-Free U: How I Paid for an Outstanding College Education Without Loans, Scholarships, Or Mooching Off My Parents
  • The Birth of Plenty: How the Prosperity of the Modern World Was Created
  • The Ivy Portfolio: How to Manage Your Portfolio Like the Harvard and Yale Endowments
  • The Hidden Worlds (The Hidden Worlds #1)
  • The Monster: How a Gang of Predatory Lenders and Wall Street Bankers Fleeced America--and Spawned a Global Crisis
  • King of Capital: The Remarkable Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of Steve Schwarzman and Blackstone
  • The Alpha Masters: Unlocking the Genius of the World's Top Hedge Funds
  • Users, Not Customers: Who Really Determines the Success of Your Business
  • Break Your Own Rules: How to Change the Patterns of Thinking That Block Women's Paths to Power
  • The Complete TurtleTrader: The Legend, the Lessons, the Results
  • The Buy Side: A Wall Street Trader's Tale of Spectacular Excess
  • The Brand Within: The Power of Branding from Birth to the Boardroom

“Rules are for the stupid, the clueless, those who cannot be trusted to do the right thing.” 0 likes
“As a trader, I would learn that liquidity disappears when the market receives news that it doesn’t understand. Nobody wants to trade. Bids and offers vanish.” 0 likes