Start by marking “Kiwi in Cat City (Kiwi Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kiwi in Cat City (Kiwi Series, #1)

Kiwi in Cat City

(Kiwi #1)

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
For children aged 9+, teens and adults...

One dark night, Amy cannot sleep and she looks out of the window into the garden to see her cat, Kiwi, transfixed by the moon, which is glowing brightly like a cat's claw. Waking her brother, James, Amy suggests they follow Kiwi to see where she goes... whether it involves a hunt for mice or something else. Little do they know that,
Published April 28th 2011 by Vickie Johnstone (first published April 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Kiwi in Cat City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiwi in Cat City

Candice
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let the mommy part begin first- all 4 boys read this, in part or whole, to one another.
Bobby and James read it alone, Brenton read it with Keagan looking over, and
James then read it to Keagan. My boys are simply that-boys...they love trucks and
muds and exploring wild adventures and crazy things, so I wasn't so sure that a
"cat" book would be something they enjoyed-but I let them dive into it themselves.
We are a cat-loving family, and I thought-they can decide themselves if they like
the book
Gregory Lamb
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading anything written by the hand of Ms. Vickie Johnstone. Though I don't consider myself an expert in YA literature, I admire the imagination Johnstone puts into her stories, all of which are sprinkled with just enough humour to fuel my appetite for more.

When Amy and her younger brother James decide to follow their pet cat Kiwi to find out where she goes and what she does, their discovery was nothing short of transformative. The first thing they discover on their journey to Cat City
David Brown
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first in Vickie Johnstone’s Kiwi series, Kiwi in Cat City tells the story of Amy and James who observe their cat Kiwi in the garden one night at the start of a nocturnal wander around the neighbourhood. Curious to know where Kiwi is going, the two children follow their cat only for her to disappear in a puff of colourful smoke. The two children are taken aback when Kiwi returns and not only speaks to them but magically turns them into kittens. The trio then transport themselves to Cat City, ...more
Grady
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reverse Anthropomorphism: An Entertaining and Educational Book for Youngsters of All Ages

Vickie Johnstone, whom most of us know as a poet of promise, has branched out into the world of children's literature and if her inaugural book is any indication of what lies ahead, she proves that she has what it takes to create stories that not only capture the minds of youngsters but also the glued attention of the adult readers as well. She understands well that adventure and mystery and fantasy are the
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Late one night Amy woke up and saw her cat Kiwi sneak out of the house through her window. She decided she was going to follow Kiwi just to find out what the cat was up to while the family was sleeping. Amy's little brother James awoke and wanted to know what was going on. When she told him he jumped out of bed ready to spy on Kiwi. It was a little, maybe a lot scary wondering around in the dark outside. As they ran through a field Kiwi turned around and asked them if they were following her. Af ...more
Donna Brown
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Vickie contacted me about her book (a shamefully long time ago, I must admit), knowing I had a love of cats and I agreed to review it. I have started this book several times and stopped several times – NOT, I hasten to add, because I didn’t enjoy it or was finding it hard to get into. Quite the opposite. Instead, I found I loved the book and it has been to my particular chagrin that it has taken me so long to get the real focused time I wanted to spend with this book and nothing else.

Because rea
Cathy Speight
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don’t normally read children’s books (!), but as I was given an opportunity to review this, I decided a little light entertainment wouldn’t come amiss. And entertain it did.
This is a delightful story and the author’s imagined Cat City was great fun. The cats’ names were cute and cosy and life, as humans know it, was cleverly cat-adapted – milk from the drinks machine, catpads (best equivalent of electronic communication!) and fish-flavoured biscuits.
You don’t have to like cats to enjoy this st
Paul Schofield
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, cats
This review is from: Kiwi In Cat City (The Kiwi Series) (Kindle Edition) by Vickie Johnstone.
I am a cat lover myself, being on the staff of three of them (two of which are black like Kiwi), and when I saw the cover I could not resist. Indeed, I was not disappointed with this charming and captivating tale that was difficult to put down. Ms. Johnstone states it is for those nine years old and up and I would agree although it would be a great learning tool if read to younger ones, too.

The story flo
Maria
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful children's book that will also appeal to adults.
I bought this book as a book I could read to my nieces, and decided to read it first. It's a fun story that takes place in a fictional world called Cat City.
Amy and James wonder where their cat Kiwi goes at night and one day decide to follow her. They are amazed when the cat begins to talk to them, then they are taken on a thrilling adventure where they themselves become kittens in order to fit in to the new city they have trave
Nicole Storey
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is an enjoyable read and kids will especially like it! Johnstone takes a cat named Kiwi and gives her a life like regular people have. Kiwi has a job and, when not living with her humans, resides in Cat City. When her human owners decide to follow her one night to see what happens when Kiwi goes out on her own, they end up being transformed into cats themselves and Kiwi takes them to the magical city with her.

Johnstone knows what kids want! This book is very descriptive, but also gives
Jill Elizabeth
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
By Alynn (my step-daughter), age 12

In Kiwi In Cat City by Vickie Johnstone, I really liked that Kiwi was a cat-agent. Amy and James (people) follow their Siamese cat into a separate cat world. Inside that world, Amy and James – or Ames and Jimster as they are known in the cat world – find that their cat Kiwi is actually a cat-agent, and he’s on a case where there are missing catizens (cat citizens – teehee) and Amy and James have to find the cat-napper.

This book was very good. The only thing th
A.E. Curzon
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kiwi in Cat City is about a little girl called Amy, her brother James and their cat Kiwi. After waking one night and seeing Kiwi leap out of the window, Amy rouses James to go with her to follow Kiwi to see where she goes and what she does at night.
Kiwi, who spots them tailing her, turns around and addresses them in their own human speak and subsequently invites them along on her nocturnal journey. After getting over the shock of hearing their cat talking to them, both children decide to do just
Sharon
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, cats
This is a cute mystery aimed at the age 10 and up set. Youngsters Amy and James follow their cat, Kiwi, when she leaves home one night; they've been curious about where she goes.

Imagine their surprise when they are turned into kittens so that they can follow her to Cat City to help her figure out why cats are being abducted from the streets. With the reverse anthropomorphism, Johnstone writes cleverly about the childrens' difficulty learning how to navigate with four legs and a tail. She also oc
Greta Burroughs
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever wonder where your cat goes when he/she disappears for a few days? Vickie Johnstone gives a clever explanation to this mystery.
Kiwi, a very clever cat takes a couple of kids with her as he takes a trip to Cat City where they all get involved in helping the police in solving a crime.
Vickie makes what some folks might think is just a children’s story into a tale that is enjoyable for all ages. The interplay between the characters keeps the story fresh and makes the reader want to keep g
Ruth Hill
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads, e-books
What a delightful middle grade book for cat lovers! Since we have fourteen cats, I am always looking for books about cats, and this one is definitely a keeper. My daughter is in fourth grade, and I can hardly wait for her to read it! This book has it all--humor, mystery, fantasy, and lots of cats! I'm glad to know that this is the first in a series--at least from what I can tell. I don't want to give away any details, but this is a book that will delight children as well as adults who still have ...more
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kiwi in Cat City by Vickie Johnstone
Reviewed by Alex Canton-Dutari
After I read this interesting story I wondered if it was a "children's book" or a book for adults with the capacity to follow a child's fantasy in their mind.
I decided that the plot was adult intended, though the adaptation to the cat species was a believable fantasy.... After all, we have seen enough cats of all ages dressed in many garbs… of course, less than dogs. Cats are more dignified.
I tried reading some passages out loud
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is a lovely story about 2 children who decide to follow their cat one night and 'see what she has for breakfast'. They end up following her to 'Cat City' and the book is then about their adventures there. To say any more would be to give away spoilers and that’s not what this review is about!

This author has a fantastic imagination and although this was essentially a children’s book, I found myself thoroughly enjoying it. The story was told in an easy to read way and was a lovely subject. Wh
Shannon Gambino
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Ever wonder what your cat is thinking whenever you catch her staring off into the distance? Maybe you've seen your cat scamper off into the night like she is on a mission. Amy and James decide to follow their cat, Kiwi, one moonlit night and discover the hidden treasure of all cats, Cat City. Full of mystery and excitement, Amy and James discover cats are far superior creatures...more so then they ever realized. Perfect story for older elementary and pre-teens. I hope to read more adventures of ...more
Sibel Hodge
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wondering what their cat gets up to at night, Amy and James decide to follow Kiwi on her nighttime adventures, but little do they know what's about to happen. Kiwi has the power to turn them into kittens, and they follow her to Cat City, where several cats have been catnapped. Kiwi works for Inspector Furrball (love that name!), and with the help of the kittens, uncovers exactly what's been going on in Cat City in a fun, suspenseful mystery that all age groups will love.
Megan
This was a cute story. Once I realized exactly what the story was, after reading the first chapter, I didn't think I'd enjoyed it, but I'm happy to say that I did. The story is about two siblings, Amy and James, who decide to follow their cat one night to see where she goes...and what they discover surprises them. I think people of all ages can read and enjoy this story, it might even be a good book to read as a family. It's currently a Kindle freebie, so I say give it a try.
Helmy Kusuma
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is not only a purrfect bedtime story for your children, but also a welcoming refreshment for hissing adults to tame their stiffness.
Funny, mysterious and full of paws!
Don't forget to wash your whiskers!
Megan Broutian
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review posted on my blog at http://www.meganblogs.com/kiwi-in-cat...
Nancy
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a good book how ever I do wish the author had done more to make it more interesting. I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Kana
Summary
This is such a cute little story. I loved it, very adorable!
Brenda Perlin
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kiwi in Cat City (Kiwi series Book 1) by Vickie Johnstone is a very sweet story. amusing for kids of all ages. Myself included. I loved everything about it. The storyline was full of surprises and intrigue. It was a fun adventure that had me laughing out loud. Very sweet. Loved the few illustrations and of course the lead character, Kiwi. You don’t have to be a kid to enjoy this story or a cat. This is just pure entertainment and enjoyment.

Cat City is a nice place to visit and the mystery kept
Leslie
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
While I'm aware that I'm not actually part of the book's target audience, it doesn't impress me even by the standards of children's literature. It's a nice little story but very unfocused, the word coinages (catizens, catsquaddies, catema [cinema], caticopters) are way too cutesy for my taste, and there are way too many loose ends. Maybe they will be cleared up in future installments, but I was left as mystified at the end about what was going on as at the start.
Jennifer Basinger
Oct 14, 2013
Wendy Siefken
Jan 16, 2013
Lana
Mar 09, 2013
Sohan Bansode
Jan 31, 2013
Hi, I live in London and work as a layout sub-editor on business magazines. I love reading, writing, films, the sea, art, animals, nature and travelling. Since 2011, I have self-published 15 books.

Books self-published in 2011:

Kaleidoscope (March) - 119 poems;
Travelling Light - a free book of 38 poems;
Kiwi in Cat City (April);
Kiwi and the Missing Magic (June); and
Kiwi and the Living Nightmare (Octo

Kiwi (6 books)
  • Kiwi and the Missing Magic (Kiwi Series, #2)
  • Kiwi and the Living Nightmare (Kiwi Series, #3)
  • Kiwi and the Serpent of the Isle (Kiwi Series, #4)
  • Kiwi in the Realm of Ra (Kiwi Series, #5)
  • Kiwi's Christmas Tail (Kiwi Series, #6)