Start by marking “The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)

The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  1,131 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Published April 23rd 2011 by Norah Wilson (first published April 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

This was somewhere between "OK", and "I liked it." I really liked the fact that the main character is a 40 year old lady PI, and thought the synopsis sounded intriguing, but it didn't quite come together for me.

I mean, for someone who was supposed to have been a PI for many years, Dix (our main character) sure seemed to miss a lot of what I thought were very obvious clues. I had the murderer figured out pretty early on and would get so frustrated when she couldn't put it
Nese
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this eBook for free from Amazon for an honest review.
Initially this book has a slow start with a plot hard that is hard to believe since the main character, Dix Dodd, is a murder suspect although she has two witnesses who see her in front of the house while the victim is being murdered. The story lingers for a while, not here or there, and it doesn’t help that the reader doesn’t know much of the characters, this being the first book in the series. However the book has an amazing endin
Debbie Oxier
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Warning: this book was laugh out loud funny so if you are a fan of serious mysteries, don't waste your time. However, if you are in need of a good laugh, enjoy the occasional light-hearted story, and like your characters full of spunk, then you must check this one out. Personally, I needed a good laugh and this fit the bill. Dix Dodd is a PI. Dylan is her assistant. When Dix is framed for murder, the two of them work to clear her name. You'll meet the quirky Mrs. Presley who hides Dix out at her ...more
Shéa MacLeod
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Private detective Dix Dodd isn't having a good day. She's been framed for murder, is on the lam from the police, and she's hiding out in a cheap motel with her only change of clean underwear a glow in the dark thong. Fortunately she's got a super hot (and somewhat younger) male assistant. And cookies.

I found this book to be a really fun, fast read. Similar to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books. Really looking forward to the next in the series.
Barbara Morgan
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
I couldn't finish it. For a PI her instincts are not that good. I had several things figured out before the story did and can see the next twist coming. Thankfully it was a freebie and I have plenty more to read.
Don
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Detective Dix, One of a Kind

This novel reads like a Five star so don't pay attention to my rating of Four. Characters, action, and plot(s), will glue you to the pages and keep you up at night. The extra star was taken due to the excessive male chauvinist attacks the author dreamed up. I have worked 50 years in many areas of business and found a few ignorant men who degraded women, but also just as many women that degraded men. Always found one thing to be true, the worst enemy of women in manage
Sandra Olson
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great story

I love Dix, she one tough cookie. This story was full of surprises. I only have one objection, I hate seeing a good author waste dialogue using the "f" word. It is totally unnecessary.
Marge
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery and a great laugh. I loved the quirky PI whose intuition is her best weapon. I liked how the lead characters formed a team with mutual respect and humor. If you like mysteries and want to laugh out loud, this is your book.
mr kevin doherty
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun to read

The case of the flashing fashion queen has many twists and turns and humour. It is an easy book to read.
Anil Swarup
A fast paced murder mystery. There is suspense as well. Worth a read
Nathalie Dearman
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! It kept me guessing to the last page.

This is the first book by thus author that I have read, but it won't be the last! It was fast paced with well thought out characters and plenty of twists and turns!
Lois
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Who Done It!

Great story line and twist at the end. You do need an editor who can catch everything and perfect it - try LifeRegeneration Editing to skip the middle man. I thoroughly enjoyed your characters and character progression. Had a few laughs and was surprised by who done it!
Leslie Mcclain
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun book

I enjoyed this book because it was purely entertaining. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series!
Leise Chadwick
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The case of the Flashing Fashion Queen, A Dix Dodd Mystery, Authors Norah Wilson and Heather Doherty, was an unexpected surprise… is that redundant?

Dix Dodd is not new to being a PI. She served her ‘sentence’ in an all-male agency where she was the “girl”, you know, the one who fetches coffee. When she struck out on her own, they warned that she would be back with her tail between her legs. Like that was going to happen!

Dylan Foreman, her able bodied (in more ways than one) and much younger assi
Debra
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Forty-year-old Dix Dodd is anxious to prove that she can make it as a successfully self-employed private investigator. So, when a woman in dark glasses and a purple outfit pays her $5,000 upfront to follow her allegedly adulterous husband for a week, Dix jumps at the chance. But things take a dramatic turn when the client, Jennifer Weatherby, is murdered and the homicide detective has personal reasons for wanting Dix in prison. As Dix tries to learn why she’s being framed for the murder, life be ...more
Nancy
Jun 08, 2013 added it
Tired of getting no respect at the big P.I. firm where she's worked for years, Dix Dodd has hung out her own shingle at the ripe age of 40. There are plenty of cheating husbands to go around, and Dix has a knack for busting them. Problem is, it doesn't always pay so well. Conscious that the guys back at the old firm are laying bets about how soon she'll come crawling back, she figures she's got six months to make a go of it. The going gets even tougher when she hires Dylan Foreman. But when he t ...more
Deborah
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Dix Dodd is a PI, out on her own after spending too many years working for "the boys." When she's offered a large cash sum to follow a wealthy woman's husband around, she's eager to take the job. Before long, though, that woman is murdered and Dix finds herself framed for the crime. Not only is she being framed, but the detective on the case is none other than Detective Head - a man who she's busted for cheating on his wife before, and who has a huge grudge against her.

The story is humorous and
Tere J
May 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
am not a fan of "narraration". I don't know if that's the proper term, but it's when the character is talking to YOU. Not first person, or POV.

That being said, by the time I was thinking, hmmm, this is predictable, I know who it is, I was 48% in. Real genius on my part.

About 60% in I was getting a little tired of the character talking to herself. She is supposed to be 40, but I've only read characters in FSOG "mentally high five themselves". That's what some of Dix dialog was like, Ana talking
Denise Zendel
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tired of being treated like a “go-fer” at the big P.I. firm where she’s worked for years, Dix Dodd hangs out her own shingle. The good old boys at her former firm have an office pool as to how long before she comes crawling back. She’s determined hell will freeze over before that happens.

A wealthy client pays Dix $10,000 to tail her potentially cheating husband for one week. Easy money, she thinks, but that turns out not to be the case as she winds up the prime suspect in someone’s death.

Dix was
Philip
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun Read! I enjoyed this book very much and I am sure that I'm going to read more in this series. This series has provided me with another choice of a lighten up read to unwind with after a serious book by such as Rick Mofina or Don Easton. This story introduces a caste of wacky but likeable and fairly well developed characters lead by Dix and Dylan but by far the most outstanding, and wacky, character is Mrs. Presley! I think this Mrs. P outshines Mary Jane Maffini's Mrs. P (Mrs. Parnell) from ...more
Jackie
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: free-books
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This is a fun and quick cozy mystery. It's heavy on humour, with a fair bit of profanity though. The characters are delightful, from the straightforward Dix, to the charming Dylan, to the comically annoyed Detective Head, to the amazing Mrs Prestley. Seriously, read the story for Mrs P alone. She's such a sly old bat.

The storyline itself was a fairly straightforward whodoneit, with a few added twists and turns. I never guessed the ending outright, which was nice. I wasn't kept in too much suspen
Carole
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
CHEESY comes to mind, it deserves another writing review for punctuation and too many times the wrong words was used. It must have been written for YOUNG women readers as this 40 yr old detective in the book has the hots for her handsome, and hot assistant and ti goes on thru the book how hot she is for him it. the book did develop the characters but I doubt if I will read a second in this series.
I just read it because it was free. It was a light fast read but I could guess many of the actions a
Barbara Lohr
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
My first book by this pair and loved it. They obviously have fun writing and so the reader does too. Dix Dixon is a PI who calls it like she sees it. Not perfect, not gorgeous, but sexy enough to be attractive to her younger associate. The setting is small-town–anywhere and so is the crime. No disturbing blood and gore here. Dix pursues law and order by tossing her head at the law once or twice. We laugh when she runs off and leaves her heels in the lawn. Irreverent. Funny. Warm...all at the sam ...more
Cheryl
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character is Dix Dodd, a pi trying to make it in a job that many people think a women can do. Her trainee is Dylan and he really believes Dix can do anything. Dix finds herself in the middle of a murder with a cop, Det. Head, better known as dickhead, trying to nail he for it. Dix friends in strange places that help her prove who the real murderer is.
This is a good book. I liked it but it just didn't grab me like some do. I could wal away from it at times. Will try reading something els
Leslie
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cops, mystery
Very enjoyable mystery. Liked the older PI Dix. She has an unexplored chip on her shoulder about romance and specializes in catching cheating husbands. When a wife pays her $5000 in cash to shadow her husband for a week Dix jumps at the chance. Unfortunately her cash flow problems blind her to the questions she should ask and she ends up as a suspect in a murder. The book is well plotted, has interesting characters and a decent mystery.
C-shaw
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Another Kindle freebie, about a female private investigator. Norah Wilson is the pen name of two authors, one a RO-mance writer, and it shows with the female PI lusting after her young and virile assistant. There was too much of a strained attempt for the female PI to fit into a man's world, with unwarranted cussing and dirty talk. The story, however, got me interested, and I enjoyed the plot line right much.
Doc
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the writing, and was reminded of Janet Evanovich. I thought for some time about the subtle differnces. Both are good story tellers, but the pair that compromise N.L. Wilson fall short in character development. I felt no sense of knowing who Dix Dodd was, I was given a few nicks in the marble block, but in the end, not even bas-relief, and Dylan was so shallow that he didn't even form a puddle. I think it is that small detail that separates N.L Wilson being the next Janet E.
Deb
Sep 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-romance
This series has potential with a 40 something woman (for a change) that has gone out on her own to start her own PI business (Dix Dodd ). Dix has in her employment a 28 year old very tall, handsome and single guy who is her PI apprentice (Dylan Foreman). Dylan was fired from his job and disbarred as a lawyer because he has strong morals. The cast of characters is interesting and I look forward to reading the 2nd book. The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen was an enjoyable, light read.
Nikki
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women Sleuths Fans
Shelves: kindle, i-own-this
I thought this was going to be about a drag queen. I'm not exactly sure how that idea got in my head, anyway...it's not actually about a drag queen...not really.

The beginning of this book annoyed me so much I put it down and almost didn't pick it up again. The style bothered me, I guess.

When I did pick it up and actually got into the story, it grew on me. I really enjoyed the wrap-up.

I think there will be more Dix Dodd in my future.
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #1)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Sweet Masterpiece (Samantha Sweet #1)
  • Late Rain
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • The Curse of the Holy Pail (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #2)
  • Playing With Poison (Cue Ball Mysteries, #1)
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Legwork
  • Hot Chocolate
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Classmate Murders (A Jim Richards Murder Mystery #1)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • The Cart Before the Corpse
  • Fashion, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox, #1)
N.L. Wilson is the writing team of Norah Wilson and Heather Doherty. Norah is best known for her romantic suspense and paranormal romance, while Heather Doherty is published in literary. Together they write the hilarious Dix Dodd mysteries under the name N.L. Wilson. They also write paranormal romance together under the name Wilson Doherty, and more recently under their joint names.

Both Norah and
More about N.L. Wilson...

Dix Dodd Mystery (4 books)
  • Family Jewels (Dix Dodd Mystery, #2)
  • Death by Cuddle Club (Dix Dodd Mystery, #3)
  • Covering Her Assets (Dix Dodd Mystery, #4)

“Little Red Riding Hood drove me nuts; she should have pulled a gun out of her handbag and just shot the damn wolf.” 0 likes
“But then, death is always messy. Or rather, murder is messy. Especially when I’m caught smack-dab in the middle of it.  ” 0 likes