Start by marking “Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)” as Want to Read:
Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)

Soarer's Choice

(Corean Chronicles #6)

L.E. Modesitt, Jr. returns to the world of Corus and concludes the trilogy of the intertwined stories of Dainyl, the Alector, and Mykel, the native soldier, which began in Alector's Choice and Cadmian's Choice.
The civilization of the Alectors, which has farmed and developed all life on Corus to produce sustaining life force for their vampiric civilization, must move who
Published November 14th 2006 by Tor Books (first published November 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Soarer's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soarer's Choice

Jim
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I really liked it, but the book isn't without its flaws. Still, 4 stars for wrapping up another engaging trilogy & answering so many questions that were left hanging on from the first one. The first trilogy is set centuries in the future where they (& we!) wonder at many of the artifacts left over from the world we're now reading about, but best of all is the answer to a nursery rhyme. Machiavelli would have been right at home in this flexing of power & scheming. It made for ...more
Pickyreader
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, magic, fantasy
Amazing!!

L.E. Modesitt brings his characters to life in his writing. I absolutely loved this book. The struggle to live is a great incentive to act in the way you feel right and Dainyl does just that. Even with the threat of losing everything. You know a great piece of writing when the emotion is so strong that it can bring you to tears.
Mary Soon Lee
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the sixth book in "The Corean Chronicles," and the third that alternates between the adventures of Dainyl and those of Mykel. As with the previous two books, I enjoyed Mykel's story considerably more than Dainyl's. These three books are set centuries before the first three books in the series. As a result, it was clear what the large-scale outcome would be, which, for me at least, reduced the impact of the book's conclusion. That said, the outcome on the level of the individual character ...more
Steve Pillinger
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, imported
An exciting and very satisfying conclusion to the Mykel/Dainyl trilogy within the Corean Chronicles. This is definitely now my favourite Modesitt series, possibly—but not definitely—excluding the Saga of Recluce!
Jorge Desormeaux
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the trilogy, but each book felt weaker than the previous one. While the first two books may have merited 3.5 to 4 stars, I'm not willing to give this one more than 3. Modesitt has a knack for creating interesting worlds and supernatural frameworks, but he's just not as good at spinning a yarn about people. Concretely, the following things turned me off:

* The ending of the book will be evident to any observant reader, and should have been obvious to one of the main characters (Dainyl) a
Laurence Burke
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
In the third book of this prequel, we finally learn the reasons behind the Machiavellian scheming of the various alectors high in the government. The underlying situation comes to a head, and the two sides finally sort out against each other. Dainyl has learned much in his unintended rise to power, both the knowledge and the power coming from the many attacks on him by other alectors.

Meanwhile, Mykel and his battalion are trying to put down a rebellion of "hill people" in a backwater of the nati
William Bentrim
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Soarer's Choice by L.E. Modesitt, jr

This is book six of the Corean Chronicles. This is more like the end of the beginning of the series. The plot sets the stage for the first three books. Dainyl discovers the extent of his known powers and Mykel discovers he has talent.

Although this book appears to offer closure to the roots of the first three books, one wonders if it does. I am currently reading Lord Protector's Daughter which seems to follow Mykel's family line although generations later. If
Kevin
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now that I have finished this six book series, I wish that I had read books 4 to 6 first. They are prequels to books 1-3, and things would have made more sense of I had read them first.
As I have already said on other reviews, this author's characters and plots are pretty much interchangeable between series. I also feel there is too much description, too many irrelevances, and too many slow sections.
In this particular book, I felt that Michael's (or however the author spelled it) adventures were
Fantasy Literature
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
The second trilogy in L. E. Modesitt, Jr.’s COREAN CHRONICLES closes with Soarer’s Choice. While this book is better than the previous novel, Cadmian’s Choice, that’s mostly because (1) It closes out this overly-long trilogy and (2) It gives the background that helps explain the world Alucius lives in in the first three COREAN CHRONICLES books, Legacies, Darknesses, and Scepters. (The story of that first trilogy occurs generations after the events in the second trilogy, Alector’s Choice, Cadmian ...more
Dallas
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am always worried about not stopping with the first book in the series if it was good because I don't want to be disappointed later, but no book in this series disappointed me, and I feel best for having read them all. The story comes full circle and answers any questions and loose ends by the end of the series.

One of my favorite series ever. I loved the main character and seeing how he would outsmart his troubles. I loved a lot if the descriptions about the world, and the magic is genius and
Joy
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
The last 3 books in this series are a prequel to the first three. It rounds out the culture, personality and motives of the "Ifrit" antagonist that use the life force of a world to fuel their magic. Humans are cattle to them but produce said life force so are a necessary evil.

The story borders on SyFy and I'm only partially engaged in the story but dogged enough that I want to finish it. The author suffers from the same "paid by the word" syndrome that too many exhibit these days. Large amounts
Lyn
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the end, I think of this Corean Chronicles. We get to help Dainyl hone his Green Talent, while wondering if Mykel and his love interest will ever just break down and make out.
We get to experience Dainyl quick rise through the ranks of power.
This planet makes me wonder what our sky would look like if it were a green-silver with 2 moons, one of which is green.
Alice
Aug 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Would've given it 4 stars, except Mykel's whole storyline felt very unnecessary to this book. I understand why it was there (Mykel was in the other two of the series and readers would want to know where he ended up), but his actions just weren't that important to the overall story. But Dainyl's plot-line was excellently handled. Overall, an all right conclusion to the trilogy.
Mark Edlund
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Fantasy series
I get the impression Modesitt was eager to finish off this six book series. Yet he spends over 20 pages describing in labourious detail the shelling of a rebel stronghold with large rocks dropped by large birds. And yet the last two chapters wipes out a race, establishes a new order and plants some seeds for the other series.
No Canadian or pharmacy references.
Fredrick Danysh
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
As the transfer of the Master Scepter approaches things become more unsettled on Acorus and both Dainyl and Mykel face life changing events. Soarer's Choice is an action packed adventure full of magic, corruption, greed, and even loyalty.
Cathy S
as usual Modesitt leaves me wishing there was more and not in a good way....good premises, good characters, very flawed development, progress or action...I dont recommend to others, although I keep giving the author a try...this is my 3rd series of his....read but not recommended
Hershel Shipman
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not bad finish to the prequel trilogy. Much of the origins of the Lord-Protector, and herders are explained. Also what happened to all of the ifrits.
Craig
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Re-read. The best of the second Corean trilogy. Moves right along, in fact the ending happens a little *too* quickly.

Re-read, 8/14.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suitable conclusion to the Corean Chronicles. The ending was not my favorite, slow in parts but overall I enjoyed it.
Steve
Corean Chronicles
Jill
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ok, but like many of Modesitt's books, it ends rather abruptly. It was interesting to see how the characters tie in with the protagonists in the previous trilogy.
Uriah
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
The Recluse saga is better developed and gives many of the same plot points.
Alex I
Tuan Do
Dec 16, 2016
Aaron Jaynes
Jul 01, 2012
  • The Wizard Lord (The Annals of the Chosen, #1)
  • The Hidden Stars (Rune of Unmaking #1)
  • Ghost Legion (Star of the Guardians, #4)
  • Master of the Cauldron (Lord of the Isles, #6)
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • The Diamond Isle (Dreamtime, #3)
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow, #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • The Scarlet Citadel
  • Rulers of the Darkness (Darkness, #4)
  • Children of Chaos (Dodec, #1)
  • The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume II
  • Holder of Lightning (The Cloudmages #1)
  • Dog Wizard (Windrose Chronicles, #3)
  • The Four Forges (The Elven Ways #1)
  • The Dragon on the Border (Dragon Knight #3)
  • Fall with Honor (Vampire Earth, #7)
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u

Corean Chronicles (8 books)
  • Legacies (Corean Chronicles, #1)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)
  • Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #4)
  • Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)
  • The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)
  • Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles, #8)