Start by marking “The Book With a Hole” as Want to Read:
The Book With a Hole

The Book With a Hole

The Book with a Hole blasts a hole through the middle of the book itself. Sometimes the hole is an eye the reader can look through; sometimes it is a mouth and the reader's fingers make the teeth! The next minute it is a plate (with food drawn by the reader on a sheet of paper behind the book), an obstacle to jump across, or a saucepan. It's crazy! It's a Book with a Hole! ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Tate

To ask other readers questions about The Book With a Hole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book With a Hole

Miriam
Dec 17, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it
Recommended to Miriam by: Crocker Museum
Shelves: art
This isn't really a book to READ, it's a prop to play art games with. Various tings and scenes are sketched around a large hole, and one (presumably) puts one's own drawings behind the hole for various effects and recombinations. I suppose those not interesting in drawing could do the same with magazine photos or some such pre-made images.

I'm not blown away by Tullet's drawing style or ideas, but the concept of the book is fun, and I can see it being a great way to keep an arty child busy for a
June Pecchia
LOVE this book! Spent 45 minutes enjoying it with my faux nephew Bryce. He's one sharp and funny almost-six-year-old who giggled and used so much imagination as we shared this interactive book. Possibilities are endless.
Today I took it with me when I volunteered at lunch recess at my local elementary... curious to see if upper grade kids would like it...YES. Both boys and girls... YES. It was a hit.
Buy it or check it out from the library for your inventive children. YOU will love it, too.
Kari
Jul 06, 2017 Kari rated it it was amazing
Great book to make little ones use their imagination. Had a ton of fun experiencing this book with my 2 1/2 yr old Granddaughter
Heather
I was surprised to get this book and discover that it does indeed have a hole in the middle of the book. Somehow I guess I was just expecting a circle or something? This is a clever concept, though I don't like it as much as Press Here. This is definitely a book for jumpstarting creativity and may work best in a classroom or as a book for a single user. It is not quite a storytime book, but a creative teller might make this one work anyway.
Marta Boksenbaum
Mar 29, 2013 Marta Boksenbaum rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I think this can be a lot of fun with the right kid at the right age. Some might get tired of coming up with ideas, and some might really enjoy it. Younger kids might not get it though, and if they get too old I think they might not want to participate.
Elisabeth
Apr 25, 2012 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Clever clever clever. I can't imagine a circulation copy holding up so well, but this would make a wonderful gift and the best travel book EVER.
Kelly
Jul 04, 2017 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This book engages the child on each and every page. It’s a huge book with a half circle in the spine so that when you open it there’s a gigantic hole in the middle. The author creates many scenarios in which the child can use the hole.
Miss Ryoko
Jun 04, 2017 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
What a neat idea for a book! This book is fun, interactive, artistic, imaginative. It invites the readers to get creative with each page. It's really cool!
Caroline
Nov 11, 2016 Caroline rated it really liked it
Inspires creativity. Very fun.
Alison
Mar 02, 2017 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book is definitely a one-on-one book. It is very interactive. Tullet has you using your body and imagination at every turn of the page.
Ruth Lyons
Apr 12, 2012 Ruth Lyons rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caldecott
This book goes through all kinds of situations that could revolve around a whole or circle. It invites the reader to interact with each picture, challenging them to imagine what could go in the whole. It provides suggestion to spark their imagination.
THe illustrations in this book though only black and white and revolve around the hole in the middle. I think it should have won the Caldecott because of its use of the hole. The hole is the ceter point of the book and leaves what might go into it u
Aina Dayana Hilmi
Oct 19, 2014 Aina Dayana Hilmi rated it it was amazing
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.

Unik.

Ada lubang di tengah-tengah buku ini :D Oh, saya sangat suka idea kreatif penulisnya!

Lukisannya menggunakan warna hitam dan putih sahaja.

Agak tebal dan bermacam cerita dapat diilhamkan ketika membaca bersama anak-anak. Masa inilah dapat melihat imaginasi mereka :D

Semua bahagian disukai mereka antaranya apa yang kamu mahu masak (lubang - periuk), letak jari sebagai gigi (lubang itu sebagai mulut), apakah yang akan keluar dari gelung ini? (gambar gelung api sarkas) d
Marika
Jun 30, 2011 Marika rated it really liked it

As the title suggests, this book does in fact have a hole. When you open the book, there’s a nice circle right in the middle of the page, perfect for sticking your head in or your arm through. The book is printed in black and white and instructions on each page encourage the reader to act with the image. One page, in which the hole is someone’s open mouth, tells you to try to make teeth with your fingers. Another, in which the hole is the opening of a magician’s hat, asks “What will you make app
Jodie
Jul 31, 2012 Jodie rated it it was amazing
The reader, in this case my daughter, had so much fun with this book. There is a big hole in the middle of the book and the reader has the opportunity to engage with the book. For example, you can put your face through the hole to complete the picture, or a stuffed animal. Some pages have text where it tells you to do something. One page has you close your eyes and try to make a bulls eye with your finger. We had lots of fun reading this book togeter.
Samantha
Sep 13, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I LOVE everything this author has come up with so far! This book is so full of imagination! Every page features a hole in it and readers are challenged to use their imaginations to fill it in. Great for independent reading or reading together. I can't wait to see what this author will come up with next!
Tricia
Aug 07, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Tullet creates another exercise of a child's imagination in this book...well, with a hole. Each page is a different scene in which to participate whether putting a hand through the lizards' mouth or imagining what the round thing the strong man is holding. Children will enjoy visiting this one again and again with different results.
Jen
Sep 03, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I purchased for my school library over the summer after reading so many rave reviews about it! It lived up to all the hype! I read it to my 3rd graders the other day when they came to the library as they BEGGED me to read it and they LOVED it! It's a very creative book that kids will thoroughly enjoy.
Johara Almogbel
Aug 31, 2014 Johara Almogbel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-the-library
SO MUCH FUN. I didn't do all the things the pages asked, because I'm lazy, but what I did do was amusing. And the book is visually appealing.

Recommended for an activity filled hour with your kid or when you need mindless entertainment.
Catherine
Oct 10, 2012 Catherine rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It fosters creativity, abstract thinking, imagination, and provides ample opportunities for problem solving development. Did I mention it also has puzzles that build fine motor skills?
Mike
Nov 18, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book for determining who your true friends are: if they don't get it, push them off a bridge. It may seem cruel, but it's for the best.
Tracy Morton
Jun 28, 2016 Tracy Morton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is cute. The children can put themselves in the book by looking through the hole. I think that this would be better to read to a very small group.
Donalyn
Jun 12, 2011 Donalyn rated it really liked it
Another interactive book from Herve Tullet-- a book with a giant hole in the middle-- each page invites participation and imagination.
Linda Atkinson
Aug 02, 2011 Linda Atkinson rated it it was amazing
OMG!! I LOVE this guy. There is no end to the fun that can be had by all with this interactive book. Creative, imaginative, fun!
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I love how this is another inter-active book. Just like "Press Here" with dots, this is with a hole. Fun.
Megan
Jun 25, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
Love this silly, clever book. Works well as an easy reader book too. Tullet is fast earning a place as one of my all time favorite children's book authors.
Laura5
Aug 01, 2011 Laura5 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2011
So clever and fun - kids are going to love looking at this one.
Melek
Jun 23, 2012 Melek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Ein wirklich tolles Buch für Kinder!!
Meine Schwester und ich hatten sehr viel Spaß damit :D
Jen
Oct 01, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: board-book
Very interesting. I think it would be better to own this book than check it out from the library, as it could be abused quickly.
Huda
Jan 30, 2012 Huda rated it it was amazing
Interactive books are my fav!!
Absolutely !
Timothy
May 17, 2012 Timothy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: one-sitting
I want to buy a copy of this even though I'll probably never touch it again because it's so cute. CUTE CHILDREN'S BOOKS.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • except if
  • Chicken Butt
  • The Blue Balloon
  • Picture a Tree
Hervé Tullet is the creator of more than fifty children’s books, including Press Here, which has been translated into twenty-seven languages. He loves to provoke surprise with his books, as well as in the dynamic workshops that he takes part in. He lives in Paris and is celebrated internationally for his playful, inventive, and interactive storytelling.
More about Hervé Tullet...