Start by marking “Bridge of Ashes” as Want to Read:
Bridge of Ashes

Bridge of Ashes

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  272 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In a futuristic world where space travel and psi talent are both commonplace, a boy is born with a gift of telepathy that is so powerful that it becomes a curse - even moving him to the moon isn't the answer. He taps into too many minds, including one extremely unique mind that belongs to a man who knows how we were created & why we are here...
Hardcover
Published March 1979 by Gregg Press (first published July 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge of Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridge of Ashes

Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, 1paper, 2fiction
Another blend of fantasy & SF. A futuristic world where space travel & psi talent are both commonplace. When a boy is born with a gift of telepathy that is so powerful that it becomes a curse - even moving him to the moon isn't the answer. He taps into too many minds, including one that is extremely unique mind that belongs to a man who knows how we were created & why we are here. Our societal problems are explained & time seems to wrap.

Tightly written in a broken series of ment
Thomas
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
A slightly challenging but ultimately beautiful short novel by my favorite writer, Zelazny, about psychics, shadowy alien conspiracies, ecoterrorism, and the apocalypse. This novel is from 1976, when Zelazny seemed to be very interested in aliens interfering secretly in human affairs -- about the same period as Doorways in the Sand. But where Doorways is comic, quirky and impertinent, Bridge of Ashes is dark, moody and stylistically experimental. Parts of it read like prose poetry, and in a few ...more
Иван Величков
Много любима книга на Зелазни, която се чете за един следобед. Незаслужено категоризирана, като едно от по-слабите му произведения.
Тук се чувствам длъжен да спретна една лека апология, която ще разкрие доста от сюжета, така че бъдете предупредени.

Романът преплита редица идеи на времето си, които са взети от състоянието на тогавашните наука, екология и антропология и ще разгледам трите по отделно.

Наука (или фантастика): Няколкото допуска от тази област изграждат тялото на произведението. Където в
Mathew Whitney
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Bridge of Ashes is a short novel by Roger Zelazny. A large portion of this book is an experiment in telling the story from the point of view of a child growing into adulthood with a debilitating illness, interwoven with the story of his family as they struggle with the knowledge that their son may never become a functioning member of society.

What reminds the reader that this a Zelazny novel (other than the experimental story-telling) is that this is a family of telepaths. Throw in a good dose of
Alazzar
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
While I'll always admire Zelazny's ability to throw together such well-thought-out, creative plots as this one, I do have to say that the characters here were a little lacking. Not that they were bad, necessarily, but I'm sure I'll probably forget about them in a month or two; Dennis Guise is no Corwin or Sam. (Then again, Dennis Guise didn't really have a personality of his own until well into the book, and since that's a necessary part of the story we can't really blame him.)

That being said, t
James Wayne Proctor
Excellent novel. Science fiction-ish and acccessible, I think, to any kind of reader. The only requirement going in is patience. There is that one thing. Being a patient reader is helpful. I was not, the first time I gave Bridge of Ashes a go, put it down without reading twenty pages. Picked it up again, however, with the sneaking suspicion that a good story might be lurking somewhere beyond that twentieth page. I was not disappointed. Smart story, sympathetic characters, with a bit of the old s ...more
Joey Brockert
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it

The world has changed and the fighting has gotten more intense and personal. This story, to develop right, is complicated.
A married couple, who are telepaths, have a baby boy. The baby does not grow up normally, but has trouble interacting with others. As the parents are telepaths, they have some understanding of the fact of the child's problem, but they can not help, so they call in another telepath. As the child grows up, he becomes more strange and becomes connected to others outside his re
Adam
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is a short volume, it had a good pace and elements of classic Zelazny that I enjoyed, including the interweaving of mythology, science fiction, and history. An ancient game is at play to determine the fate of planet, and key characters vary from aliens to immortals, eco-terrorists to therapists, and telepaths to the greatest geniuses of the human race.

This reminds me of many of the short stories from "The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth," which I think is a good thing.
Melissa
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is another by Zelazny that I enjoyed. It bounces around at the beginning but once you see what is going on it actually makes a lot of sense. It's a fun, simple read that is easy to follow. My only complaint is that the ending let me down a bit. A bit anti-climactic and left me with a "Hmm" kind of thought. Other than that, if you dig Zelazny give this one a read. His signature fantasy style comes through.
Todd Martin
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
The premise of “Bridge of Ashes” is very clever … human evolution was directed by aliens such that as technology developed we would poison the atmosphere in such a way as to be suitable for the alien life and result in the demise of the human species. We are a terraforming tool that self destructs when the job is complete. Ha ha ha …. Outstanding!

Unfortunately, other than the original premise, the execution and story line are lame.
Tom Holmes
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found a copy in a used book store, the 1989 edition of the 1976 novel. I haven't read this in ages, and probably only in the combined printing Today We Choose Faces / Bridge of Ashes. Quick read, and quite enjoyable.
rom.
A good short novel by Roger Zelazny. The end of the world is near; a fragile teenager, his therapist and the mysterious 'dark' man are involved. How can earth and humanity be salvaged ? What exactly is the source of danger ?

This novel is not among Zelazny's best work but will keep your interest.
I only thought the 'environmentalism' sub-story detracted from the main story line.
Tom
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
i swear that the stopped-time bit at the beginning of this was a story anthologized in _last defender of camelot_... but that book ain't around, and my memory is a bit burned out (it's been roughly 30 years since i read that one, after all). as a snippet, it's great, tripped out, and sums up everything in the book far better than anything that comes after, down to the rather lame finish.
Scott Rhine
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
if they had a button for favorite book of all time, I would click it for this.
to get the full effect, you need to read it all at one sitting(it's short enough and fast paced enough)
to hold it in your mind all at once,
Scott Dailey
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neat premise, another good read by Zelazny
Dev Null
Not my favorite Zelazny - especially given I read Today we Choose Faces just before it - but thats a bit like saying that its not the _best_ chocolate truffle I've ever eaten. Its all good.
Michael Moe
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Haiku review:

Minor Zelazny/
Is still better than many/
Other writers' best.
Pierre
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dutch
Kinderen van de Aarde
Robert Haight
Jul 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
A great premise for a book, with typical Zelazny chacters and a week ending. Its a short quick read, but I think its worth it for some of the ideas.
Bryan Jacobson
Oct 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Revisiting a book from a beloved author. Not Zelazny's best effort. Interesting premise, but ending is weak in my view. Characters are not fully engaging.
Martin
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Just OK. The most interesting element of the book was the prediction not only of eco-terrorism, but the vapid and ill-considered logic of eco-terrorists.
Steve
Nov 14, 2013
Paul
May 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Replicant Night (Blade Runner, #3)
  • The Preserving Machine
  • Ashes for the Elephant God
  • The Hollow Lands (Dancers at the End of Time, #2)
  • Under the Scotch Broom
  • The Memories of Milo Morai (Horseclans, #15)
  • Die Astronauten
  • The Book of the Damned (Secret Books of Paradys, #1)
  • Out Of Their Minds
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • Eight O'Clock in the Morning
  • Cobra Strike (Cobra, #2)
  • Catalyst
  • The Status Civilization
  • The Hollow Earth
  • The Sword of Bheleu (The Lords of Dûs, #3)
  • The Exile Waiting
Roger Zelazny made his name with a group of novellas which demonstrated just how intense an emotional charge could be generated by the stock imagery of sf; the most famous of these is A Rose for Ecclesiastes in which a poet struggles to convince dying and sterile Martians that life is worth continuing. Zelazny continued to write excellent short stories throughout his career. Most of his novels dea ...more
More about Roger Zelazny

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)