Start by marking “Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo” as Want to Read:
Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo

Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo

In the tradition of the best-selling Monet's Table, Frida's Fiestas is a personal account in words and pictures of many important and happy events in the life of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, and a scrapbook, assembled by her stepdaughter, of recipes for more than 100 dishes that Frida served to family and friends with her characteristic enthusiasm for all the pleasures of l ...more
Published September 20th 1994 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Frida's Fiestas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frida's Fiestas

תניה
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The book can be seen in full here: http://www.american-buddha.com/frida....

Frida Kahlo is the most renowned Mexican female painter in the world. As evidenced by her paintings and by her personal style, she was totally dedicated to living Mexican, immersed in tradition. It is no surprise then that she was very attached to traditional Mexican food. I am familiar with a fair portion of these recipes due to my interest in Mexican food and having read some about it, but there are still a few interest
Shelley Cater
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Co-written by Diego Rivera's daughter, Guadalupe Rivera, this book chronicles Frida's love for home, entertaining and cooking. It contains the menus and several recipes of meals she prepared for many special occasions (including the menu for Diego and Frida's wedding feast!), along with many photographs and journal entries. Though some of the ingredients are obscure, I plan to make an attempt at one of these menus in the near future. A beautiful book.
Jess castellanos lobaton
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a pleasure was this!! :)

It's been 5 years since I left Mexico and I'm also pregnant right now and hormones may play with my thoughts and feelings but, I honestly think is a really well done piece of work.

The story told by Diego Rivera's daughter is entertaining 'till the end! The quality of pictures and the work behind them is awesome and the selection of food its just amazing! Stearing at all those yummy dishes really made me suffer and miss my culture more than ever...

Frida Kahlo's life
Barbara Mayfield
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I visited Frida's house in Mexico City in 1984. Changed my entire concept of home decoration for the better. I like this book for the stories of her life and for the authentic recipes of Mexico.
Joe Cummings
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a keeper, for sure. Although there are lots of great modern Mexican cookbooks available nowadays including Mexico: The Cookbook by Margarita Carrillo Arronte, I think that Guadalupe Rivera and Marie-Pierre Colle 1994 volume Frida's Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo is an important contribution for the appreciation of the depth and breath of Mexican cuisine. The famous Mexican surrealist painter was, in her own way, a believer in performance art. She was w ...more
Constance Bodensee
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book if only for the insight into dinner parties that Frida Kahlo hosted. The recipes are not anything I would make but the hoots do seem to offer a glimpse of real Mexican cooking.
Stephanie
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Not sure I would cook anything from this book, but I did enjoy the portrait of Frida Kahlo's life (through food). Great pictures too.
Suzanne LaPierre
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I first saw this book I thought it might be gimmicky - a cookbook based on the life of Frida Kahlo? But it's actually quite authentic. One of the authors is Frida's stepdaughter, Diego Rivera's daughter Guadalupe Rivera from a previous marriage, who lived with the artistic duo for a time and has many memories of the feasts and fiestas Kahlo prepared. These memories are enhanced with the actual recipes Kahlo used, many of which she inherited from her own mother and her stepdaughter's mother. ...more
Bob
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mary Lamb
Recommended to Bob by: BG Stinchfield
Shelves: latin-america
Just plain fun. A brief glance into the happy side of a family's life, and, for me, an introduction to Mexican traditional festivals. The pictures are beautiful, and I can't wait to try some of the recipes.
It's more dramatic than most cookbooks. The author remembers purchasing a rosca de Reyes in Mexico City's most elegant bakery as a child with Frida:
"Her entrance caused a sensation. The extravagantly ornate Tehuana attire and pre-Hispanic jewelry caught the attention of the audience, and w
Christy
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is much more than just a collection of authentic Mexican recipes that Frida favored. The narrative, co-written by Frida's stepdaughter, also provides some engaging insight to who Frida Kahlo was and what moved her. It's not a biography but rather provides a pleasant portrayal of what it was like to be in Frida's orb, the time period, and the locations. I also appreciated the photos of Frida's paintings, residences where Frida lived with Diego, and the food. Oh, yes; the recipes... ahhh ...more
Jairzinho
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more than a “cookbook” well... I’m not so sure since this one was my first. It’s divided by the 12 months of the year, and at the beginning of each month a story about what was going on with Frida is being told by her stepdaughter, and that’s what gave the book a special touch.

When it comes to the recipes, they were good. And take that from a vegetarian that’s going to change them a little bit and try them out as soon as possible.
Erika
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, history
This is a gorgeous book. It is full of rich details, beautiful photographs, many recreating events described in the book, and an intimate look into the lives not just of the famous artist and her family and Friends but also a time and way of life that is mostly gone now. Each chapter focuses on a specific month and the special celebrations they held with the recipes for each dish included, a very nice touch.
Caroline
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A wonderful celebration of Frida's love for cooking & entertaining shown in 12 different annual festivals/celebrations. Written by the daughter of Diego Rivera. Contains authentic recipes from Frida's own collection. Loved the photos showing her kitchen & Blue House views. I've made several recipes from the bk & they're actually very simple to follow.
L'Artiste
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a fun collection of recipes, written by one of Diego's children, who spent her childhood with Frida. The recipes are really interesting and unique, and the stories and photos that go along are wonderful!
Alycia
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-about-food
Really great recipes. This is a book I think I should own for the food part. The writing is pretty romantic and whitewashed. Frida sure liked playing poor but she certainly didn't live like a communist! But I am excited about the cooking.
Amy
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
After learning so much about Frida Kahlo, it was neat to read a book that was co-written by someone who actually knew her. It brings Frida to life. It was fascinating to read different stories about Frida Kahlo and browse through (and make!) some of the recipes!
Kim
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
the story is OK but the photos are reason enough to get this book... beautiful!
Julie
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edible-treats
Who knew Frida was so incredible in the kitchen. If nothing else, this book is worth it's price for the Green Rice recipe on page 56.
Netty B
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Frida's food recipes are wonderful. They bring back some lost Mexican traditions. If you are looking for authentic Mexican Recipes I highly recommend this book.
Ellen Snyder
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A really nice Mexican cookbook with great pictures of food and Frida. By the daughter of Diego Rivera.
Astrid
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
After completing "The Lacuna" by Kingsolver (wonderful!), I broke out "Frida's Fiestas," a book of recipes & reminicenses of life with Frida Kahlo. I feel a Mole Poblano coming on.
Chelsea
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, history
This is a wonderful book. I can't wait to make (most) of the recipes!
Carol
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Haven't tried any of the recipes yet; but the book has some delightful stories of Frida and Diego, and beautiful photographs. Will update re: recipes.
Carla
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My favorite anniversary gift ever!
Dee
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Could read this several times for the photos alone. The recipes are quite traditional & the reminiscences are wonderful.
Naomi
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful book... loved it! The photos gave me goosebumps. I look forward to cooking meals from this book!
Lore Setentaysiete
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excelentes recetas de toda la República Mexicana sazonadas con la historia de cada una. Excelente!
Laura Molina
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My parents gave me this book for my birthday in 1994. Beautiful book!
Julia
Jan 11, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: Tony, Kristin
This is a beautiful book filled with art and recipes. I make all of my green sauce from the three recipes listed in this book. Amazing mexican recipes.
Roxy A.
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Having cooked anything in the book yet. Great Mexican cookbook.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Frida Kahlo: Brush of Anguish
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • Delizia!: The Epic History of the Italians and Their Food
  • Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months
  • Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes
  • The Visionary Poetics of Allen Ginsberg
  • RAWvolution: Gourmet Living Cuisine
  • A Mediterranean Feast: The Story Of The Birth Of The Celebrated Cuisines Of The Mediterranean, From The Merchants Of Venice To The Barbary Corsairs, With More Than 500 Recipes
  • 5 Spices, 50 Dishes: Simple Indian Recipes Using Five Common Spices
  • Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook
  • Real Food All Year: Eating Seasonal Whole Foods for Optimal Health and All-Day Energy