Start by marking “Taylor's Ark (Taylor's Ark, 1)” as Want to Read:
Taylor's Ark (Taylor's Ark, 1)

Taylor's Ark

(Taylor's Ark #1)

Medicine and mayhem from the bestselling co-author of "Crisis on Doona." An epidemic is spreading from colony to colony in the vast reaches of space. Dr. Shona Taylor, with her team of four-legged assistants--including a dog with an immune system that can synthesize vaccines--sets out to find a way to stem the killer disease.
Mass Market Paperback, 280 pages
Published February 1993 by Ace Science Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Taylor's Ark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taylor's Ark

Joseph Smith
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it
SPOILERS:

I just finished this book. the characters really grew on me, i felt bad for Shona and Lani when tragedy struck, I liked Chirwl and his intellect but the ending wasnt very satisfying. Sure, the Antagonist was caught in the end, but there was so much buildup in the plot (with Wren killing Shonas baby, Veredad sabotaging Shonas good name by killing thousands of people to make a quick buck, etc) and it only took like 3 pages in the end to "wrap up" alot of the loose ends. It reminds me of a
Brandie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. At times a bit of a slog but Jody Lynn Nye created some interesting worlds and created an interesting main character so you can't help be want to find out where it's going and what will happen.

Our MC, Shona Taylor, is a 26-year-old doctor currently assigned to performing physicals for colonists leaving Mars to head to their new colonies on newly discovered planets. Shona is planet-bound only because she is 5 months pregnant and wants to wait until the baby is born a
Travis
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Very interesting premace, though I'm a little puzzled why the dog was mentioned as a vaccine factory if she was never put to that task during the entire book. Rabbits weren't used either, though the mice and cat were put to use. Anyway, a good enough story, a bit predictable once you got the hang of where the story was going, but a good read nonetheless. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes scifi with a bit of a mystery bend to it. Nice character development too, starting out with a young doctor ...more
Susanne Thomas
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was a part that I was very concerned would ruin the whole thing for me. I saw it coming, and I cringed. But it was well-done!

I wish the animals had played more roles, but I enjoyed this enough to put the second one on my "to buy" list! I like Nye's language and world development. The variations in colonies were well done.

I think the plot was a little jumpy in places and kind of went from 30 to 100 at the end. But it was an enjoyable read and you grow to care about Taylor and her menageri
Debbie
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I read several years ago, because Jody Lynn Nye had collaborated with Anne McCaffrey on some other books I enjoyed. It recently became available as an audiobook, so I decided to revisit the story. I was not disappointed the first read-through, or this first listen. In this space travel story, Dr Shona Taylor is assigned to settle human colonies to provide medical services. She is accompanied by a menagerie of animals that assist her in special ways. She also travels with an alien ...more
Jay Michaels
Mar 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm sorry, but I gave up on this one at the end of Chapter 3. Taylor's Ark (1993) has a strong beginning, but quickly decayed into what appears to be a spy novel, with powerful people pulling strings behind the scenes.

Protagonist Shona Taylor is likable, tough, and sensitive, but since this is an election year, I just couldn't stand the arbitrary and unfair politics she was fighting against. That's just too close to life in the real world right now.

Maybe if I didn't hate the superficiality of
Beverly Diehl
Read it many years ago, and recently re-read the series. It holds up well, although the villain is a bit obvious.

Trigger alert - the character undergoes a second trimester miscarriage, so this may be difficult for readers who have themselves experienced infant/pregnancy loss (though there is a happy ending, so it may also be empowering.)

I loved the whole concept of both married partners having careers, and the idea of using animals as partners to cure/prevent disease. I can also see how a corpor
Kristen Sharpe
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
The back of the book synopsis and even the title is a bit misleading. Shona's animals don't play nearly as large a role in the plot as I would have expected. But, once it starts to build, the mystery behind the colony epidemics is far more interesting than the animals-as-doctors-assistants angle.
Jen
Dec 29, 2010
Carolyn
May 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jody Lynn Nye lists her main career activity as ‘spoiling cats.’ When not engaged upon this worthy occupation, she writes fantasy and science fiction books and short stories.

Before breaking away from gainful employment to write full time, Jody worked as a file clerk, book-keeper at a small publishing house, freelance journalist and photographer, accounting assistant and costume maker.

For four year

Taylor's Ark (3 books)
  • Medicine Show (Taylor's Ark, 2)
  • The Lady and the Tiger (Taylor's Ark, 3)