Start by marking “Prairie Wife” as Want to Read:
Prairie Wife

Prairie Wife

No mother should have to bury her child

Amy Shelby had learned this sorrow well. Her heart had gone into the ground a year ago along with her boy's tiny casket. And not even her husband, Jesse, wrestling the same pain, could resurrect any hope in her.

Jesse Shelby mourned two losses—his baby son and his openhearted bride, for when their child died, Amy retreated behind a w

Published December 16th 2010 by Harlequin Historical (first published November 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Prairie Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prairie Wife

AG Reads
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hr
4.5 stars. This is not an easy read, but it is a wonderful story of grief, healing, and hope.

[spoiler]Jesse and Amy are already married and the book begins with their burial of their three year old son. Amy retreats into a state of numbness and her duties, refusing to allow herself to feel anything for fear of losing her sanity. Jesse tries but has no idea how to help his wife, so he fills his days with his duties as a stage coach station owner and his nights with whiskey.

The reader is taken o
Isa
May 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: de-relectura
Relectura.
Es lo que pasa cuando empiezas a buscar Harlequines viejos en l desván. Encuentras viejas historias que vulves a leer.
No recuerdo si lloré cuando la leí la primera vez, pero en esta ocasión, la empatía ha sido inevistable. Solo con unas pocas y escogidas frases sobre la muerte de un niño de tres años me ha partido el corazón y he llorado a moco tendido al principio y al final.
El resto, bien.
Izzie d
Gail
This was part of a "blogger bundle" of e-books I bought directly from Harlequin. I like these bundles, because they have some good backlist books in them. This was one of the better books in the series. I particularly liked it because it was about a couple who were already married, but the marriage was under severe strain because of the death of a child. The story is about how they bring themselves together again. It takes place on the Great Plains during the "Wild west," except it's not too ver ...more
Michelle Robinson
I am pretty sure that I read this before. It was as good as I expect a book by cheryl St. John to be. For me, she is one of the best novelist, for me, period. She is not one of the best romantic fiction she is just good. I enjoy the way she develops her characters. They are always interesting fell authentic.
Amy and Jesse were both so miserable the I was not sure that I would be able to get past their misery to believe in a renewed love between them I did, by the end.

This was wonderful.
I enjoye
Cherry-Ann
A good read. The book spoke about love, forgiveness, facing one's fears, overcoming depression and communicating in relationships. Oh how I wished all problems in relationships could be so calmly confronted and reasoning and rationale are applied when treating with these issues. Jesse and Amy lost their little boy and unable to talk about the grief they both experienced allowed this lack of communication to balloon to a drinking problem for him and denial by her. As they continued with their liv ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5; 4 stars; A-

A very tough story of a couple trying to overcome the loss of their child and get on with their lives. Maybe a bit sentimental but a very touching love story.
Nicole
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story.
Pauline Doyle
I also finished this book on September 08, 2006
Mary Lauer
Still a good book, but only two stars because the main plot driver (couple trying to deal with death of child) is not one that speaks to me.
Olivia
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Excellent story and emotions in this book.
Kathleen
Dec 05, 2016
SuperWendy
Nov 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Cheryl is the author of more than fifty books. Her first book, Rain Shadow was nominated for Romance Writers of America’s RITA Award for Best First Book, by Romantic Times Magazine for Best Western Historical, and by Affaire de Coeur readers as Best American Historical Romance. Since then she has received three more RITA nominations, a Writer’s Digest award for a feature article, and several Roman ...more