Start by marking “White Trash Cooking” as Want to Read:
White Trash Cooking

White Trash Cooking

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  388 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
More than 200 recipes and 45 full-color photographs celebrate 25 years of good eatin’ in this original regional Southern cooking classic.

A quarter-century ago, while many were busy embracing the sophisticated techniques and wholesome ingredients of the nouvelle cuisine, one Southern loyalist lovingly gathered more than 200 recipes—collected from West Virginia to Key West—s
Spiral-bound, 25th Anniversary Edition, 192 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published August 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about White Trash Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Trash Cooking

Melki
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eating, cooking
The term "white trash" was originally used by slaves in the 1830s to describe poor whites. Nowadays, it is used as a pejorative for poor, uneducated Southerners. In his introduction, Mickler describes "White Trash" - distinguished from the "common white trash" who lack pride and manners - in this way:

...we are "in love" with our bad times and weakest characters, we laugh at our worst tragedies, and with a gourmet's delight enjoy our simplest meals.

I was unsure of what to expect from this book. A
Tressa
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culinary, southern
I read this cookbook back when it first came out in the late '80s. It caused a minor sensation because of the derogatory title. But you know what? It's an homage to southern home cooking surprisingly without the snark. The recipes are common but tasty, the shotgun shacks are welcoming, and the faces in the photographs seem like old friends to this longtime southerner. Isn't there a little white trash in all of us?

Kick back, listen to Mary Chapin Carpenter's poignant "I Am a Town" and enjoy.
Nitrorockets
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
There are so many things I didn't know. Like that the food I ate as a child was not too far from most of the recipes. Very interesting combination of recipes with straight instructional directions and general guidelines. Cooking in this book is meant to be enjoyable and not overdone. Make it how you like it and don't apologize if it won't be eaten or if you have to serve it straight from the can.
Aleigh
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this gem up at on the discount shelf. I was drawn to it like a bear to honey. I just had to buy it, not because I wanted to make Midnight Crunchy Crumb Tuna Casserole or Peanut Butter Bacon Bread (which by the way isn't half bad if you replace the bacon with chocolate chips), but because it's anthropological sampling of these people's lives. Besides the recipes, there are pictures and stories. Plus the instructions are often written in the vernacular of the person who submitted it. For ...more
June
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who either cooks or eats
This is probably the funniest cook book I have ever read. But, as I read it I came to the realization that I am white trash. Yep. Through and through. Or at least I grew up eating white trash food. Except cooter. Don't think I've ever heard of cooter, much less eaten it. After reading the book I now know that "cooter" is turtle. The main thing I liked about this book: the recipes. Took me right back to my childhood. This book is a keeper.
Lucinda Charter
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this cookbook! I was raised in the southern plains and I saw several recipes that I remembered from my childhood, including tater tot casserole. While I can't say that we ever ate any of the more "adventurous" dishes, the recipes and cultural references definitely brought back some memories.

Truly a fun, humorous read. Who knows, you might even find some yummy recipes - I did!
Judith
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Southerners, Southern expatriats (and their friends)
Recommended to Judith by: Nitrorockets
I bet a white trash dinner party would be fun: Mock cooter (turtle) stew, 'possum, Betty Sue's Sister-in-Law's Fried Eggplant, Oleta Brown's Turnip Greens...okay, maybe just the last two :-).Still, the book is less of a joke and more of a cookbook, but some of the recipes are out there. I had fun flipping through Nitrorocket's copy. Maybe you will too.
Stacy
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this is one of my all-time favorite books. I gave a copy to my very sophisticated Uncle Douggie and after he passed on and I saw his book, so dog-eared and grease-stained, I was really touched that he had enjoyed it so throughly. This is not a book that should be pristine and sanitary: it should have a dedication in the front, notes and bookmarks throughout, and be soggy with spills.
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
For me, this is more of an entertaining read than a reference for recipes, but it's fun and interesting. And honestly, where else are you going to find instructions on how to clean and cook that squirrel you shot in the backyard? Ever wondered what kind of food you should bring to a cemetery cleanin or a hawg killin? Well, after reading this, you'd know.
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had to choose between my copy of this cookbook or my Nigella and Ina cookbooks, I'd choose this one (and its sequel!), hands down. This book is meant to be read and savored, much like Tutti's Fruited Porkettes and the Resurrection Cake.
Chuck
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not a joke. It serves as both an excellent cookbook and a sociological statement of the poor South at its time of publication. I've owned this book for over ten years and it's become a treasure.
Cookiesue9x
Mar 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
My Mother introduced me to this gem and thought it was the funniest thing she ever saw, I treasure her copy !
Saptarishi
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the words of the wise bookseller (who sold me my copy with an understanding shake of the head and a curled smile...as if he could see that I was about to find religion)...."Classic".
Jessica
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly entertaining and actually contains some yummy recipes.
Dianne
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Country food-so good. The photos are priceless.
Koeeoaddi
Oct 08, 2003 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I can't eat a single thing in this book and yet I love it so much I may have to exchange my library copy for one of my very own. Not only are the recipes genuinely funny, but I just want to sit down on the porch with this book, stuff myself with Raenelle's Jail House Chili, gossip about Crystal-Lynn Harley's lying, no account, gold-digging daughter-in-law and get so skunk drunk that somebody else'll have to get up and clean the possum.

Love the beautiful Andrew Wyeth-like country Gothic photograp
Elise Noorda
Aug 31, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How do you rate a book so awful it's almost really good? If you've been wanting recipes for possum, squirrel or gator tail, this is the book for you. Every recipe contains either hamhock, cornmeal or molasses. (Really, there IS a recipe for gator tail - I can't believe it!) Our cello teacher had the book there - someone gave it to her. Funny.
Peggy
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Mother gave me a copy of White Trash Cooking. She has been gone for many years but I always think of her when I pick it up because we had so much fun with it. That connection makes it a favorite in my book. Love the "High Calorie Pick-Me-Up" recipe.
Michelle
At first, I thought it was satire. Especially with all the names for puddin' and a section about squirrels. But it looks legit, I guess. Rat cheese = cheddar cheese, butter goes in hot cocoa, and a high calorie boost is a bag of peanuts in Pepsi. Enjoy!
Amber
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
You will forget it's a cookbook because of the pictures and the side stories. I've made several recipes over the years and recognize some dishes from old family gatherings.
Ordered all my books from a bookstore years before the Internet......I had to have more after the first read.
Jodi
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fun read. Most recipes aren't vegetarian-friendly, but I didn't expect them to be. So many of the dishes are very similar to what I grew up eating, so—bless my heart—many of them sound pretty good!
For all the humor in this book and the name may be an obvious turn off it is an important cookbook. For most of us we will recognize several of these dishes from our childhood or ethnic background or area of the country and realize we ARE WHITE TRASH.
Carolyn
Feb 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the recipes are extremely easy and fun, others are gonna be tough to find ingredients for... (Possum? Not at shoprite.) I love the photos, they have a strong sense of time and place for me. It is entertaining to read this, even if you're not really into cooking. which I'm not.
Maureen Flatley
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cultural classic......lol a must read.
jochem
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a great read! the recipes are funny as hell (e.g. possum) but do not sound that tasty though
Diane
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Received this as a gift. I just love leaving it out in my kitchen for guests to see. No worries friends..I've never actually cooked anything out of it.
Rebecca
Jun 04, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A gift from my sister who will buy a book about trash but who cannot bring herself to throw it away.
Julian
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-books
Still love this
Leitha
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great cook book that every southerner can relate to! Before the internet, this is where you went for your roadkill recipe.
Gloria
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my go to cookbook when I don't know what to make for a potluck. People are always so surprised when they learn where the recipe came from. :-)
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines: China, Greece, and Rome
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
  • The Taste of Country Cooking
  • A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove: A History of American Women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances
  • Vegetable Love
  • The Sopranos Family Cookbook: As Compiled by Artie Bucco
  • InterCourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • The Gallery of Regrettable Food
  • Celtic Folklore Cooking
  • The Beginner's Guide to Preserving Food at Home: Easy Techniques for the Freshest Flavors in Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Relishes, Salsas, Sauces, and Frozen and Dried Fruits and Vegetables
  • Flat Belly Diet! Pocket Guide: Featuring Your ULTIMATE 28-Day Eating Plan for Lasting Weight Loss
  • Essentials of Cooking
  • Japanese Cooking The Traditions, Techniques, Ingredients And Recipes
  • River Road Recipes: The Textbook of Louisiana Cuisine
  • Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook
  • The Gourmet Slow Cooker: Simple and Sophisticated Meals from Around the World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »