Start by marking “No B.S. Direct Marketing: The Ultimate No Holds Barred Kick Butt Take No Prisoners Direct Marketing for Non-Direct Marketing Businesses” as Want to Read:

Go behind the scenes and cash in on the undisclosed, off-the-record strategies of today’s top direct marketers. These high-profile techniques can be applied to your non-direct marketing business with amazing results and direct marketing guru Dan Kennedy can take you there. Dan and his elite team of consultants – all phenomenally successful at borrowing direct marketing str ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Entrepreneur Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about No B.S. Direct Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No B.S. Direct Marketing

Patrick Sherriff
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a quick and fairly painless read, with some sound advice on ignoring how the big boys do marketing. What Kennedy has to say about effective marketing could be summed up in 10 bullet points and, in fact he does:

Rule 1: There will always be an offer
Rule 2: There will be a reason to respond right now.
Rule 3: There will be clear instructions on how to respond.
Rule 4: There will be tracking and measurement.
Rule 5: Whatever brand building occurs will be a happy by-product, not bought.
Rule 6: T
Ron
Apr 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'm not a sales person, but I found this book very practical. It lived up to it's name and contained no B.S. No fluff. No warm fuzzies either. Just the strait dope on how to do sales better.

On of the core principles in the book was you should be selling to people who want to buy, not just anybody. If you don't open well, you won't close. If you have to work at or "hard-sell" or try to trick the person at the end, you have done the beginning wrong.

Also there was a bunch of stuff on just how to co
Ashley
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book, especially for business majors. It shouldn't be thought of as a sales book for just people in sales. If you are an entrepreneur or in marketing or a small business owner...this is a really helpful guide to selling your business, creating new consumer leads, and even selling yourself a little. :) I really enjoyed this book. Its more conversational than a lecture because Dan Kennedy tells a lot about his life and his success.
Waseem
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
The 2 stars are only for Dan Kennedys opening content ( and small last part) which sets out a great reminder of what good direct marketing foundational principles should be - which can play a key part in a successful campaigns - as with majority of Dan's info , his wisdom is gold even if it wasn't anything new if your familiar with his material like me - but credit where it's due can't totally disregard the value in the book .. But...

The rest went downhill from there - best described as "useful
Wendy Burge
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
With a title like this how could I not read it! I love Dan Kennedy and all his buisness books. He really is a pioneer in marketing and I can honestly say that by following his wisdom and expertise I have never been disappointed in my marketing results. A must read for any bdoy in business even if you are not a marketer.
Terry
Aug 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Makes a strong case for direct response marketing. Some of the contributing authors were a bit too commercial, making the book a direct response marketing letter. It was a useful read, however...enough so to read other No BS books in the series.
David
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great Direct response marketing from the godfather of DRM.
Joe
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. Lots of ideas.
Marlene
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Very good. But not at all what I had intended to buy. Wish I had read the cover a little more closely before I bought it.
Russell Turner
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of practical advice within these pages and some interesting new angles with which to take one's marketing efforts.
Ari
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great advice from one of the masters, and he is entertaining too
Chung Chin
Jan 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
One word came to mind after I finished reading this book: Cheated.

My review for this book will be a warning - stay away from it. Reasons:
1. If you think that you're picking up this book to learn about direct marketing from a so-called "Master", you'll be sorely disappointed. Out of the 17 Chapters in the book, Dan Kennedy only wrote 8 of it and most of it are 2 to 3 pages long. The rest are contributions from other direct marketers.
2. You might think, "Well, it's not too bad. At least you can st
Trevor Chapman
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful if you are trying to learn more about direct marketing. Not the most interesting book but lots of great ideas. This book was recommended to me by Elliot Hulse, which he said a lot of his greatest successes were because of Dan Kennedy. So because he found him to be helpful i figured i would read one of his books and the reason i'm telling you about Elliot Hulse is because he has put Dan Kennedy's ideas in practice I have not so I would not be able to say if it works or ...more
Jeffrey
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
You've just got to love Dan Kennedy. I've read six of his books, joined his online / offline marketing club, watched the DVD's, bought the CD's and attended his seminars. So I must say this may come off a bit biased. I like him because he's, first of all, real. As the titles of his books say 'No BS.' Personally, as a coach I coach in the no BS zone: total disclosure, honesty no holds barred.

According to Dan Kennedy, as you may know, direct marketing is king. However, he's successful because he'
Kurt Jensen
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
"No B.S" is a hard promise to keep for a book designed to sell workshops and boot camps, and not surprisingly, the book is full of it.

But it's also full of good ideas, or rather "rules," and Kennedy paints a comprehensive enough picture that you feel like you could employ them fairly well, especially if you already have experience copy writing. It's not so much a handbook, but it is a decent checklist with rationales.

Ultimately, the scarcity of good examples leaves you wanting more. And frankly
Jeffrey
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Dan Kennedy is one of the best, if not the best in the business. He's known as the "Millionaire Maker." I like him because he's straight ahead, irreverent and to the juggler. He's not out to offend, but to cut to the chase and cut the fluff talk to ensure not only brevity of message but effectiveness.

I've gotten his business letters for years, bought half dozen of his books, watched the DVD's, listened to the CD's, bought his products, and attended his seminars. Most who get involved with Dan,
Danila
книга больше рекламирует автора, чем его методы. любой чих называется стратегией. в целом книга полезная, но мне она не показалась глубокой.
нет общего подхода из которого вытекают все принципы и стратегии, а есть только перечень действующих решений. причём многие решения настолько почты, что удивляешься зачем я это читаю)) любая история сопровождается ссылкой на покупку доп. материалов.
не жалею времени, потрачено на почтение.
рекомендовать эту книгу или нет? пока не буду рекомендовать, сначала
John Allington
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Very useful book on direct marketing. It deserves 4 stars for content but it drops a star because the kindle formatting is very poor in places and I had to switch to iPad in some sections, just to be able to read it.
It would have benefitted from more examples of direct marketing and phrases or pitches that work. It does acknowledge however that it is not a copywriting book.
Mark Pauls
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book may be more relevant in this day and age than you might think. Dan Kennedy knows his stuff and offers no BS steps get your direct marketing going. Given we get spammed with email on a daily basis this book offers a method which is likely more effective now than it was when the book was written.
Bruce Harpham
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, marketing
Read this book for the second time in 2016. It is an excellent overview of the principles of direct response advertising. The book does well in including a few case study chapters at the end. I would have liked to see more detailed examples showing sales letters, advertising details (e.g. costs etc) and results.

For added insight, pair this book with Kennedy's Ultimate Sales Letter book.
Ron
May 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
This book was a major disappointment. I've been reading a lot of Dan Kennedy lately, especially the No B.S. series, but this book was the worst.

First it isn't really written by Kennedy. It is a collection of essays by his students on direct marketing. But even these essays don't give you the practical meat his other books do.

Read Wealth Attraction or Sales in the series instead.
Quinn
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a must read for anyone running a small to medium sized business, a should read for anyone in marketing and a required read for anyone selling yellow pages. I really liked Kennedy's approach to picking out the massive differences between the way a corporation with thousands of employees and shareholders should do things vs. what a one man band should do when it comes to advertising.
Cyndie
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cyndie by: Michael Ellsberg
Sounds much more manageable and practical for small businesses than a lot of the advertising and marketing advice out there, plus the "try it and see what works" side appeals to my scientific side. Easy, short read with advice that's easy enough to try for yourself and see how it works, even though it seems a little cheesy. Compelling enough that I might check out some other books in the series.
Tina
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Maybe it's just because I've been on to this stuff for a while. This book didn't really say anything that I didn't already know and it definitely didn't tell you how to use direct marketing. It just told you that you should be doing it.
Lain
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of takeaways and good stuff, but it seemed a tad outdated for the internet world. I don't disagree with any of the principles presented, I'd just have preferred to have more mention of incorporating email marketing.
Michael Saul
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great way to get started for those that are looking for a primer on direct marketing. Especially good for consultants that deal with brick and mortar businesses that have no idea about direct marketing and how it can explode their business if not properly.
catherine
Some of the content seems vague and fluffy to me, although I have gotten some interesting ideas to think about. Thanks D.K.
Eliot Burdett
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Kennedy is an entrepreneur so this is not your typical sales system book, more of a business attitude book with a strong emphasis on sales.Always enjoy what he has to say.
Hisham
Mar 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Further than the first chapter, this book taught me nothing. Dan used this book to market his other products and many of his friends and fellow marketeers. Highly disappointing waste of time.
Chris
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a short, easy to read and easy to grasp book. The author has a good mix of sales philosophy, personal motivation, and sales tactics to make this book an interesting read.
  • Scientific Advertising
  • Networking with the Affluent
  • The Adweek Copywriting Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Powerful Advertising and Marketing Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook
  • Double Double: How to Double Your Revenue & Profit in 3 Years or Less
  • Hypnotic Writing: How to Seduce and Persuade Customers with Only Your Words
  • Zero-Resistance Selling: Achieve Extraordinary Sales Results Using World Renowned techqs Psycho Cyberneti
  • Focus: The Future of Your Company Depends on It
  • SPIN Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide To Getting Your Shit Together
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Taking Life Head On! (the Hal Elrod Story)
  • Marketing Myopia
  • Experiential Marketing: How to Get Customers to Sense, Feel, Think, ACT, Relate
  • Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • Wisdom of the Body Moving: An Introduction to Body-Mind Centering
Dan S. Kennedy is the provocative, truth-telling author of seven popular No B.S. books, thirteen business books total; a serial, successful, multi-millionaire entrepreneur; trusted marketing advisor, consultant and coach to hundreds of private entrepreneurial clients running businesses from $1-million to $1-billion in size; and he influences well over 1-million independent business owners annually ...more
“There Will Be Strong Copy” 0 likes