Start by marking “The Ultimate Sales Letter: Attract New Customers. Boost Your Sales” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Sales Letter: Attract New Customers. Boost Your Sales

The Ultimate Sales Letter: Attract New Customers. Boost Your Sales

Write Well to Sell Big!

In the age of e-mail and instant communication, great sales copy is indispensable to closing a deal. But too many sales letters end up in the junk file or the wastebasket. In this new edition of his top-selling book, author Dan Kennedy explains why some sales letters work and most don't. And he shows how to write copy that any business can use.

Among
Published February 1st 2006 by Adams Media (first published January 27th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Sales Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Sales Letter

Start your review of The Ultimate Sales Letter: Attract New Customers. Boost Your Sales
Chad Warner
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: copywriters, marketers, entrepreneurs, business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Seth Getz
A useful guide to writing sales copy. The third edition, published in 2006, deals mostly with printing and mailing sales letters, but many of the principles of sales copy are timeless and apply to any medium. There are many specific examples.

Kennedy is a fan of long copy, and claims that research shows its more effective than short copy. He makes a good point about appealing to buyers, and not being concerned about nonbuyers.

I agree with most of Kennedys advice, but I disagree with his
Patrick Sherriff
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Old, but still good. My proper review is here: patricksherriff.com/2019/10/02/the-ul...
Dillon
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible book on writing sales letters. Not focusing really on the copy-writing aspect, but rather the on:
how to get into the mind of the consumer
how to make sure your letter is both kept and read
how to ensure all the information that needs to be included is in fact included
how to improve readability and retention
and some advanced concepts that were quite helpful

Even though the forth edition of this book is almost a decade old, it still holds tremendously practical knowledge and was
Margot Note
"My '10 Smart Market Diagnosis and Profiling Questions'
1. What keeps them awake at night, indigestion boiling up their esophagus, eyes open, staring at the ceiling?
2. What are they afraid of?
3. What are they angry about? Who are they angry at?
4. What are their top three daily frustrations?
5. What trends are occurring and will occur in their businesses or lives?
6. What do they secretly, ardently desire most?
7. Is there a built-in bias to the way they make decisions?
8. Do they have their own
Jeffrey
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This is really geared toward offline marketers but onliners can use it too. And after all, Dan Kennedy is the master of marketing. I like his renegade attitude. He pulls no punches. Want something accademic, just unapplied theory? Go to college. Want to be successful? Read Kennedy. I'm a Gold-Plus member and get his monthly newsletter and I've spent thousands on his training CDs, DVDs, and seminars. Want to breat from the fold? Get away from that boss who tells you when to go to work, lunch, ...more
Daniel Taylor
Dan Kennedy reveals why he's the highest paid copywriter in the world in this book. Put simply, he works hard to collect the information a lazy man would say an excessive amount that he needs for each part of the sales letters he writes.

For Kennedy, writing sales letters is not creative; it's about following a process a paint by numbers rather than a think outside the box approach. He guides you through each element of an effective sales letter, why it matters and how to present the
Waseem
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for any type of Marketer or Sales Person. Embarrassingly although in marketing online myself now for a few years... I've only got round to finishing it now.. But I've discovered its one of the early editions one I read... So I'm for sure going to read to the latest one... Nevertheless this is packed with Golden Nuggets!!!- buy it or the new one if you want to see more sales in your business and/or increase in income ASAP ;)

Waseem Mirza
Marlene
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2017
Copywriting basics. Adding to the library. It's fine. I can't say it changed my life.
Andrew Nathan
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My reference book whenever I write sales copy.
Dean Brooks
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those dense marketing How-To's that you'll want to read over and over, and one in which you'll pick up new pearls with each read. Seriously, there is so much packed in here that I often found myself reading sections again and again. If you've ever thought that copywriting or marketing is simply about shooting a bunch of flyers or emails out, this book will quickly disabuse you of that notion.

Kenedy writes with cold clarity about the inner workings of everything that goes on
Gabrielle Dahms
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
All Dan Kennedy books I have read are informative, a little irreverent, and straight to the point. They also belie the wealth of knowledge and experience about copy writing and marketing the author possesses. Sometimes that aspect is a little overwhelming because just because someone like me can appreciate good copy doesn't mean it's easy to replicate. Every time I read the book, there's more to absorb. The one drawback of the book is that Mr. Kennedy did not cull his system into one or two ...more
Miguel Silva
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book on writing with the client/customer in mind.

Although this is most applicable to an actual physical sales letter, there are still many interesting and helpful techniques in this book.

If you're not interested in the actual physical sales letter (that you mail), just skip the sections. You're sure to have your money's worth either way!

Also, one small tidbit that I didn't like very much about the book is the self-promotion. The author keeps talking about his other books as well as his
Diego
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Dan Kennedy Copywriting Crash Course

It's a commons say that most Copywriting books are the old stuff repackaged, this aint it. Dan Kennedy shares exactly what goes into making a sales letter for B2B, direct mailing, websites, etc. One of the best books I've read on how to craft a good offer, and how to present it. It takes you from the market research, to writing, to the editing.

Might feel like its outdated for most (as mailing letters is not that common) but learning this fundamentals is
Pedro Jacob
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dan Kennedy is as straight to the point as they came. This handy guide lays out in clear language all practical steps one needs to run through to write a persuasive sales letter. Although it was written for direct mail, its lessons are evidently applicable in the internet marketing arena. I can't wait to put this in practice. (Actually, I can wait but only for a day: first I need to type up my notes!)
Anchit
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible book! Dan Kennedy brings out lots of important points about writing sales letters. Very insightful and practical. No fluff. Everything that he talks about is clearly taken from his own experience and what he learnt. He doesn't make you guess the learnings on your own but clearly mentions what he's trying to teach you.

I've tagged this into my long-term-reference shelf. Something that I would love to pick up again and again, later in life, to learn these techniques better.
Silvia
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ultimate Sales Letter

Really good introduction to copywriting. As a marketer, I know that I can stand out even more if I can add this particular skill. I like the practical approach Dan Kennedy takes with that book. I feel like I'm in a better position to produce better sales copies. I vividly recommend this book.
Saman
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book on sales!
Principles and techniques written in this book are very effective when it comes to sales and marketing, not just writing copy. Very clear, simple and short. I loved the experience of reading this book, I learned new things, and it reminded me of what I knew. 100% recommended to sales and marketing people.
Markus Hietanen
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great thing about copywriting is that it never gets old. I read an edition from 2000, and while the examples were about physical letters, the principles, ideas, models and tools are still very useful today, just applied in the digital market places. Would recommend to anyone interested in writing for a living.

Will revisit for the great templates.
Melissa
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kennedy
Very technical book

I found this book to have a lot of technical and practical tips that every business marketing department should know. While a lot of it is beyond me, it is my becoming my baseline for my marketing employees.
craig washington
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative

I enjoyed this read. I found that as a new freelance copywriter, many of the things that I did instinctively were actual techniques used by professionals. I intend to keep this book around for future use as a reference guide.
Ben Lobaugh
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book if you want to learn letter writing techniques. As a newbie I found it a bit over my head with all the new concepts, but it is so well written that I am positive a second read through as I gain more understanding is going to power up and sales letters I write!
Konrad Holden
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good solid foundation for writing sales letters that can be applied across the board. Kennedy offers a system which will need to be reviewed again and again to get all that this book has to offer. Will read again.
Michaell Cavllaro
Just Like the Book Says No B S.

This book blew me away. I've heard of Dan Kennedy, but never read any of his books. I'm sorry it took this long. I'll be reading more of his books in the future.
Louise
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Filled with useful tips and techniques, Dan S. Kennedy's book is a handy guide to writing sales letters that boost your sales. The examples he provides are particularly helpful and this is a book I'll be referring back to as I compile my own sales letters. Recommended.
K. Rezaiezadeh
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exactly what it promises to be - clear, concise and thoroughly entertaining. A must-have for any copywriter.
Bradley Woods
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this and got some good info out of it on steps in crafting a sales letter. Will reread this book and implement more of what it says into my workflow.
Joe Schulteis
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Very informative. I get something new out of it every time I read it
Gin
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entrepreneurship
Old but still valid arguments about how to write a great ad copy. Must read if you are in advertising or marketing field or any other proffession - it will help you to tell the story better.
Phillip Shepard
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for any business or marketer
Jan Brinkmann
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Not specific to online marketing, but timeless insights. I have added like 20 - 30 markers to the book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Scientific Advertising
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
  • The Boron Letters
  • Ca$hvertising: How to Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make BIG MONEY Selling Anything to Anyone
  • DotCom Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online
  • 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • The Adweek Copywriting Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Powerful Advertising and Marketing Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters
  • Great Leads: The Six Easiest Ways To Start Any Sales Message
  • The Copywriter's Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide to Writing Copy That Sells
  • How to Write a Good Advertisement: A Short Course in Copywriting
  • My Life in Advertising and Scientific Advertising
  • SELL LIKE CRAZY: How to Get As Many Clients, Customers and Sales As You Can Possibly Handle
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • Expert Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Finding Your Message, Building a Tribe, and Changing the World
  • How to Write Copy That Sells: The Step-By-Step System for More Sales, to More Customers, More Often
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • Confessions of an Advertising Man
Dan S. Kennedy is the provocative, truth-telling author of seven popular No B.S. books, thirteen business books total; a serial, successful, multi-millionaire entrepreneur; trusted marketing advisor, consultant and coach to hundreds of private entrepreneurial clients running businesses from $1-million to $1-billion in size; and he influences well over 1-million independent business owners annually ...more