Start by marking “Hunger Games Companion” as Want to Read:
Hunger Games Companion

Hunger Games Companion

(The Hunger Games Companions)

The ultimate companion guide to the blockbuster Hunger Games trilogy.

For all those who adore Katniss and Peeta, and can't get enough of The Hunger Games, this companion guide to the wildly popular Hunger Games series is a must-read and a terrific gift.

Go deeper into the post-apocalyptic world created by Suzanne Collins than you ever thought possible: an alternative future
Published November 8th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hunger Games Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunger Games Companion

Chelsea
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
The title "The Hunger Games Companion" is highly misleading, as it has hardly anything to do with The Hunger Games at all. Rather, it goes into details about subjects that are related to The Hunger Games, such as how the world may end, what happens to the body during starvation, several types of torture and execution, reality television, etc. While some of the information was quite interesting, sometimes it got a little too detailed and lengthy. I also found the writing to be a little off; it go ...more
Shyla
Feb 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad-bad
I was excited to delve into the world of Hunger Games....the characters, the relationships, the theories. But this...this so called companion is nothing but a bunch of ramblings explaining things that have happened in history and briefly comparing to them to Panem. Or there are chapters that include topics such as torture methods, war, hunger and how starvation actually occurs. Basically all the chapters pertain to topics brought up in Hunger Games but literally sheds NO light on the actual book ...more
Irene McHugh
If you're a fan of The Hunger Games trilogy or if you're teaching the novel, you will probably enjoy this book. There were some sections that I scanned over, but other sections I read with genuine interest.

My middle school students like to buzz about the Mayan calendar/the 2012 "prediction." This book has a great timeline of doomsday predictions dating back to 2800 BC. The details of these predictions are spread throughout the book.

The chapters tackle a variety of topics from "Repressive Regime
Emma Yoloswag
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emma by: The price tag that said 50 kr
So, as the nerd I am, I found this interesting, and learned stuff I hadn't even thought about. I will not spend a lot of time talking about that, but just know that all the science in this book amounts to three stars alone.

Unfortunately, there were things that prevented it from getting any more stars. I will talk about these, but first, there are some things you might like to know.

One of these things is that this book doesn't really have that much to do with The Hunger Games. Sure, it deals with
Lisa
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good but it wasn't "amazing". I felt some parts went "too" in-depth, which kind of ruined the book. But it was very interesting and a bit scary how our world relates so closely to the world of the Hunger Games. I honesty thought "The Girl Who Was On Fire" was a better Hunger Games companion, but if you love The Hunger Games and want more, I would recommend this as well.
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
In my opinion, spent too much time analyzing history/modern warfare/techonology/politics and not much time connecting it to the Hunger Games or analyzing the books/characters. Gave up before finishing.
Ana Rusness-petersen
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
When I first picked up this book, flipped through the table of contents and skimmed a couple pages, I was excited. What a great concept! Exploring some of the subject matter of the popular Hunger Games books in more depth - especially since the trilogy itself leaves readers wanting more. And the topics that the author, New York Times writer, Lois Gresh, chose to address sounded interesting and well worth exploring, if slightly morbid.

Despite the promising concept, I quickly became disillusioned
Alice
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like current affairs and the Hunger Games
Recommended to Alice by: The Hunger Games
I had very high hopes for this book. I absolutely adore the Hunger Games, so I was excited to see someone elses insight into the series, and perhaps find out something I didn't know before. This was not the case. Although the book was interesting, I couldn't finish it. It really had nothing to do with the Hunger Games. A large chapter was about all the many kinds of weapons there are in the world. This was linked very quickly to the Hunger Games at the end, because Katniss uses a weapon...It was ...more
Meadow Frisbie
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am shocked by all the reviews on the negative side. Just because the book didn't fit 'your vision of a companion' doesn't mean it didn't do just what the author intended. I personally loved the book! True it wasn't completely about the characters and events from the books. But it was a different topic every couple pages. It was great to just give your life some more overall knowledge on the key points Lois H. Gresh tried to show. you learned how to operate throwing knives, how Snow's torture t ...more
Sena Khateeb
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
You will enjoy this book if you are a fan of The Hunger Games. Some parts were really intriguing, other parts were a little boring or felt way too far from the topic. The Hunger Games trilogy was compared to historical events/ old apocalyptic books throughout The Hunger Games Companion- not that I didn't enjoy those parts; I did because I actually love history.
I think, to me, the most boring part was probably that about weapons. I mean, I skimmed through most of that part, because it basically s
Harley
Jan 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't bring myself to finish this book. I got so incredibly bored. It's too much like a history class to me and I didn't pay attention in history, I zoned out and slept.

It's a good book if you want to learn all the different things that make up the Hunger Games: could the Hunger Games really happen, hunger in the world, repressive regimes and rebellions throughout time, weapons (which I still might check out cause that part sounds interesting), myths, gladiators, ect.

It's just not the book
Francesca
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
This isn't something I would normally buy for myself but I actually found it really interesting and a helpful companion to a series that I love, but also left me feeling dissatisfied. However; it definitely could have been better. There were a few occasions where it dived headfirst into a topic (e.g how our brain works) that I know nothing about and my only option was to skip to the end of the section. I've never read anything like this before so I didn't know what to expect and I was impressed ...more
Molly
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
The writing style reminded me of the five paragraph essays required in junior year English classes. You know: intro, three paragraphs of supporting evidence, conclusion. By which I mean, the writing was basic, but I learned a ton of facts with supporting research! The research seemed pretty legit. I learned a lot of fun new things. Like, what girl doesn't want to learn how to maim someone with a bow and arrow for reals? It could come in handy. Just saying.
Jessica
Oct 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2011
There are few connections to the actual characters and plot of The Hunger Games to really call this book a companion. There is an amazing amount of detail, however, and a fanfic writer would be well served to have this guide as a reference. If you're a super hardcore fan, this book might be worth it for you, but otherwise, skip it.
Megan
Dec 04, 2011 marked it as to-read
I started reading this at the store. I found it a bit disturbing. Maybe it was just the section I had turned to. One part was a description of how to rip/cut out someones tongue. Another part was on electrocution. Another on drowning. You get the picture. I didn't really find it relating to the Hunger Games at all.
Natalie
Apr 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I couldn't finish it. Not what I thought when I brought it and found it very disappointing. Not a huge amount of it was actually about The Hunger Games, alot of history and comparisons to our world. Don't waste your time and money!
Amvell
Dec 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
this book does not focus on the hunger games as much as it should have. do not get this book if you are looking for somthing hunger games related
Lily Marie
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A lot of information. I really enjoyed it. I loved all the past doomsday predictions and the topics she covered!
Jody
Apr 09, 2012 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not Hunger Games all the time but how it ties into our own history of kids killing others, weaponry, survival etc.
Ella
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting. I don't recommend it to younger teens, because some of the stuff will be over your heads. Overall, it was very good.
Mikha ϟ
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I think I might survive now.
Nathan Albright
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge2017
Although all of the movies and books of this series have come out and we may not see any future books from this series [1], this book still does a good job at showing the appeal of an unauthorized look at a series that is likely to be remembered as a classic of YA dystopian literature.  I must admit that I have some mixed feelings about this book, as I would have preferred to see an authorized version, and it feels as if this book is more than a little bit of a cash grab.  That is not to say tha ...more
Wendy Mills
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a more intense book than I thought it would be. Gresh picks apart the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins and very vividly and accurately compares the characters, the games, and many events in the trilogy to factual evidence of dates and events that have happened historically. She breaks down the skills that the Hunger Games participants needs to have to win them, gives detailed information about the different weapons that are used in the series, etc. Definitely a thought provoking ...more
Michelle
I find it hard to count this as a proper companion for the hunger games. It's more like the author wanted an outlet to discuss issues like the government, poverty, history, killer kids and weapons and lumped a few 'like hunger games' or 'like katniss' in there so it could be sold to the fans of the series. There are some interesting parts, don't get me wrong but it wasn't hunger games. I'd say only about 10% of the entire thing if that is hunger games content.
Alan Gilfoy
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lois H. Gresh, The Hunger Games Companion
"Interesting analysis of THG's real life background"

This book did an incredible job linking aspects of the Hunger Games series to associated real-life phenomena.

The author focused on getting into the historical context of various elements of the series, from ancient history to recent history, a lot of real-life analogies. The book came out before the 1st movie so couldn't comment about the film adaptations in particular.

The book was light on fan theories
Kayla
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
This book was decent. I thought it brought up some interesting points, and had a lot of interesting information. However, I was really distracted by a lot of the typographical errors in the book. I know, that sounds like a dumb reason to dislike it, but honestly, it's the only reason I gave it a three and not a four. That and the rather annoying doomsday predictions at the end of every chapter. Those were just irrelevant and seemed like filler. The content of the book itself was strong enough th ...more
Chechoui
Jul 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book mostly detailed historical references to events that were somewhat related in the Hunger Game series. There was a little bit of a discussion of themes in the Hunger Games and how to relates to other historic events, but it was pretty weak and reminds me of a middle school student's book report. The entire book felt very amateur and thrown together. An example chapter: Weapons. They used an ax, knife, and bow and arrow in Hunger Games. Now I am going to detail the origins of these three ...more
Andrew Hicks
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 50-page-fail, ya
DNF at 15%.

Completely unnecessary.

See, here's the thing - I started regularly reading books again in August, 2013, when I happened upon a paperback copy of The Hunger Games in my adult stepson's bedroom. And read it, and rushed to read the sequels.

But, as far as the Hunger Games universe, returns were quickly diminishing. Watched the first movie on DVD; it was okay. Saw the second movie in the theater; it was okay. Got this book; it was okay. But completely unnecessary.

I kept reading books tho
Erin yang
What I love about this book is it analyzes The Hunger Games very well and there is critical thinking to it. There are many parts that would make you go "ooohhh, she has a point". The author goes beyond what we usually read and analyzes them well. But sometimes, the analysis is too much or goes too deep that they become too technical in explaining some stuffs. Other than that, it was a good read and I liked the book. If you are looking for an analysis of "The Hunger Games" trilogy, then this is o ...more
Rania Mohiuddin
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A misleading title, yes. The book doesn't contain insight on any of the book characters like you would expect it to. However, the book provides a lot of extra information related to history, current world events, and just trivia that I really enjoyed. It shows how Suzanne Collins crafted a world from the scraps of one that already exists, and this in no way makes me feel comfortable about the future we're headed towards.
  • Guide to The Hunger Games
  • The Hunger Games: A WikiFocus Book
  • The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook: From Lamb Stew to "Groosling" - More than 150 Recipes Inspired by The Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Jennifer Lawrence: Star of the Hunger Games
  • The Hunger But Mainly Death Games: A Parody
  • The Hunger Games: List of characters in the Hunger Games trilogy, The Hunger Games universe, Katniss Everdeen, etc
  • Articles on the Hunger Games, Including: Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire (2009 Novel), the Hunger Games Trilogy, Mockingjay, Katniss Everdeen, Peeta Mellark, List of Characters in the Hunger Games Trilogy, the Hunger Games Universe
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Summary & Study Guide
  • The Hunger Games and Philosophy: A Critique of Pure Treason
  • Mockingjay: The Hunger Games - Book Three (A BookCaps Study Guide)
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy
  • The World of the Hunger Games
  • Katniss the Cattail: An Unauthorized Guide to Names and Symbols in Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games
  • Beyond District 12: The Stars of The Hunger Games
  • The Hunger Pains: A Parody
  • The Psychology of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Understanding Lisbeth Salander and Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy
  • Mind-Rain: Your Favorite Authors on Scott Westerfeld's Uglies Series
  • The Hunger Games Tribute Guide
LOIS H. GRESH is the New York Times Bestselling Author (6 times) and USA Today Bestselling Author (thrillers) of 30 books and more than 65 short stories. Look for SHERLOCK HOLMES VS. CTHULHU #1: THE ADVENTURE OF THE DEADLY DIMENSIONS (Titan Books, April 2017), the first in a new trilogy of Sherlock Holmes thrillers from England's premier publisher of all things Holmes, with Random House distributi ...more

The Hunger Games Companions (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Hunger Games: Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Hunger Games Tribute Guide
  • The World of the Hunger Games
  • Guide to The Hunger Games
  • The Hunger Games: A WikiFocus Book
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire - Booster Pack: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy
  • The Girl Who Was on Fire - Movie Edition, Extra Movie Content