Start by marking “Can I Trust The Bible? (Crucial Questions, #2)” as Want to Read:
Can I Trust The Bible? (Crucial Questions, #2)

Can I Trust The Bible?

(Crucial Questions #2)

There is a common assumption that the Bible is full of errors and contradictions, and that its often-unusual people and events render it useless for today. These ideas are fueled by the teachings of scholarly critics, who seem to delight in raising questions about the Bible s truthfulness and integrity.

But the critics of the Bible are wrong, according to Dr. R.
Kindle Edition, Revised, expanded edition, 65 pages
Published September 18th 2009 by Reformation Trust Publishing (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Can I Trust The Bible?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can I Trust The Bible?

Len Evans Jr
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Gonna boil this down to a short answer to the question posed by the book title... NO
I though this short book was well written, though it occasionally got a bit technical, however it really never answers the question in such a way that someone coming from the outside questioning the bible would have found believable. I like a lot of the arguments presented here, however they all seemed designed for someone who already believed the bible was infallible and inerrant and just needed reassurenc
Jeff
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a little technical and weighty for my thick skull, but I'm still glad I read it. I think books like this are important for Christians to read. I would even say this book would be good for a non-Christian to take a look at to see where some Christian ideas are coming from.
Alex Hannis
May 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I rate this book low for the same reason I rated his first one high. Does it answer the question in the title of the book? I didn’t really think so. The outline of the book is to give commentary on the Chicago Statement of Inerrancy. I felt that his logic went in this way: Can I trust the Bible? Yes, because the Chicago Statement says this and that. I think a more in depth study of the reliability of the manuscripts and the legitimacy of the Scriptures would have answered the question better. ...more
Vianny D'Souza
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The authority of the Bible is far too underemphasized in most of the nominal Christian circles. However we who call ourselves Bible believing Christians also stand in danger of falling over into the subtle trap of downplaying the authority of the Word of God in our personal as well as ecclesiastical (church) lives if we don't understand how the Bible is truly 'God breathed', and hence inspired and inerrant. This book is basically a commentary on the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy. It's ...more
Fred
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Can I trust the Bible? Well if I were a skeptic who read this book by the time I got to the end I still wouldn't know.

Why? Because this book isn't an apologetic for the trustworthiness of the Bible it's a treatise on the inerrancy of the Bible that Dr. Sproul wrote for the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy back in the 1980's. As a result, this book presumes that the Bible IS trustworthy and starts from there.

The overall tone is declarative and dogmatic rather than explanatory and evi
Becky
First sentence: The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy rightly affirms that "the authority of Scripture is a key issue for the Christian church in this and every age."

Can I Trust the Bible is a reprint of a booklet: Explaining Inerrancy: A Commentary by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy in 1980 and as Explaining Inerrancy in 1996. It is the second book in the Crucial Questions series.

The booklet consists of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, w
Brandon Wilkins
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is basically a copy of the "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy" with a brief commentary by RC Sproul on the Statement. It is a good simple, explanation of the Evangelical doctrine of the Inerrancy of the Bible.

1. THE CHICAGO STATEMENT ON BIBLICAL INERRANCY - the original document of the State, along with its affirmations and denials, and a brief exposition of the Statement.

2. THE BIBLE AND AUTHORITY - The Bible is the authoritative Word of God (discussions of ca
Phil Rice
This book isn't really what I expected. I was hoping for more of a practical discussion about the Bible's origins and why we could believe the versions we have today are in fact the God-breathed text. It's really a breakdown and description of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy from 1978.

I read the first half of the book, and pretty much just skimmed the second half because it is extremely dry. Not that it doesn't make good points overall, but it read more like a legal docum
Luke
May 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You might think from the title and length of this little article that Sproul would be giving you some reasons to trust the Bible. Instead, this is a fairly exhaustive and incredibly dull exposition of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy. If you're into that sort of thing, it's interesting to explore the reformed view of scripture, but the question "Can I Trust the Bible" is never answered from a non-Christian perspective. Nor is the reformed view exactly proved, instead the viewpoint is ...more
Jeremy Gould
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Basically an exposition of the 1978 Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy. It was a good read, but honestly I expected more than just this. I do understand the book's intention as a short, concise, free! resource - so with that in mind, it excels at it's intended purpose.
Tor Langehaug
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, this book is basically a commentary on the Chicago statement about biblical inerrancy. The book and the affirmations are sound from a teaching perspective. However, my chief criticism of the book is that it doesn't really answer the question "Can I trust the bible?" completely. The affirmations hinge on the original autographs and the science of textual criticism to discern the contents of the autographs is glossed over. To me understanding the transmission of the words of Scripture is ...more
John Williams
INTERESTING & EXHAUSTIVE STATEMENT & EXPLANATION OF WHY WE BELIEVE THE BIBLE IS INFALLIBLE & INERRANT.
This second of 17 books on the fundamentals of Christianity is a lot different than the first. It starts with a statement drafted (& widely adopted by American pastors & theologians) in the late 1970’s. Sproul was one of three who worked to create the document which consists of I) an Opening Overview, II) the Statement of Belief in the Infallibility & Inerrancy of
David
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed
This is a difficult and deeply theological book. It can be downloaded for free from Amazon's Kindle store.

A group met in October of 1978 at a summit meeting in Chicago. At that meeting, it issued an Affirmation on Biblical inerrancy. Sproul's book (he was on the committee that wrote the affirmation statement) goes over that statement point by point, carefully explaining what was actually meant and why each article of that statement was worded as it was.

Dr. Sproul takes a strong stand discussin
Matthew Hodge
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an expanded version of a set of statements put out by a group of evangelicals in the 80s, setting out the standard evangelical position on the inerrancy of Scripture.

As far as explaining the doctrine, the book is well-written and is good for explaining definitions and terms that can cause a good deal of confusion.

The lack of a star from me is that I'm still wrestling with the issue of canonisation. It's one thing to say that Scripture says it's inerrant - cer
Glenn Crouch
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I've often encountered people who take "Inerrancy" to mean some sort of extreme literalism, or to be the domain of the sort of fundamentalism that quickly shuts down honest discussion. It was quite refreshing to read this short commentary on the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy (included in the book) which presents a far more "sound" view on what Inerrancy is and means as far as Scripture is concerned. Whilst I have read the Chicago Statement in the past (probably about 30 or so years ago ...more
Wade
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
This is a short book that works phrase-by-phrase through The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, a document written by 250 evangelicals at a summit meeting called by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy in October 1978… this short book is an explanation of that document by R.C. Sproul and it is very helpful in defending and defining Biblical inerrancy and infallibility. This is a very solid book that defends an extremely crucial view of the Bible. Sproul sums up the significance ...more
Steve Campbell
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This booklet only indirectly answers the question it poses. It is a commentary on each of the nineteen articles of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy, and of course, inerrancy is an important concept to understand when determining the trustworthiness of the Bible. I would have liked it better if Sproul would have answered the question directly, but this was very helpful in clarifying what the doctrine of inerrancy means and doesn't mean.
Jennifer A.
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little dry, but very earnest and helpfully well-thought-out explanation if the affirmations and denials regarding the authority and inerrancy of Christian Scripture as delineated in Chicago in the 80's. Considering the confusion in my own mind lately regarding this doctrine, I'm grateful to have read it.
Aleksiel
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
People typically use historical, philosophical and even scientific evidence in support of the Bible, but that's too mainstream for the author, he uses a bunch of statements that are true because reasons. Ridiculously unconvincing even if you already believe, let alone if you don't.
Ryan Watkins
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
R.C. Sproul gives a beautiful and brief commentary on the Chicago Statement of Biblical Inerrancy. A great read especially for new Christians struggling with the reliability of the scriptures. Sproul also explains proper hermeneutics in a very easy to understand way. Highly recommended.
Mimi Davis Hopkins
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Word Is Truth

This little booklet is full of truth! It give substance to the vitality of God's word.. For me it answered some of my questions on how the Holy Bible was put together. Great Read for all who profess belief in the bible.
Nathan Newcomer
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Sproul here writes a short, "layman's" book for bibliology. It won't wow you with in-depth theological prose, but it fulfills its purpose of being an edible read for those seeking a surface level understanding.
Chad
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredibly insightful in explaining each individual article of the Chicago Statement on inerrancy as well as encouraging believers to hold fast to the doctrines of the inerrancy and infallibility of the Scriptures. Well worth the read.
Nicholas Castle
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Wasn't quite what I expected after reading majority of Sproul's other work. It was very technical and very weighty. This book is pretty much a detailed description of the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy.
Michael Schmid
A good overview of the issues and doctrine regarding the inspiration and infallibility of the Bible. The book starts out with the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy and then expounds on the different issues that it contains. Due to its technical nature, it is somewhat more difficult to read.
Bill Tillman
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
This is a very carefully worded defense of the Bible. It leaves no doubt that the author believes in the inspired word of God, as infallible and inerrant. A great book to have in your library and always at hand.
Enoch
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book

A wonderful book expounding on very pertinent doctrines about the Bible. It can be finished in just one sitting. Good for having an understanding into many of the attacks liberals unleash on the bible
Don Henrikson
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good apologetic commentary on the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy. As usual, Dr. Sproul's writing is clear and interesting. That makes this a helpful little book on a topic important to the church.
Marguerite Harrell
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I do have this in e-book. It is a very challenging book to read and yet it is also educational book to read too. I thought that it would be different kind of book without The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy. This book explain why the decision on The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy.
Ryan
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic overview of the trustworthiness of Scripture. I appreciated the exposition of the Chicago Statement of Biblical Inerrancy. Our church has purchased copies of this to hand out for free for any member looking to grow in their understanding of this topic.
« previous 1 3 next »

• How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • Collected Writings on Scripture
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • Otherworld
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • Strange Fire: The Danger of Offending the Holy Spirit with Counterfeit Worship
  • Gospel Formed: Living a Grace-Addicted, Truth-Filled, Jesus-Exalting Life
  • The Holy Spirit (The Gospel Coalition Booklets)
  • The Poetic Wonder of Isaac Watts (A Long Line of Godly Men Profiles)
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)

Dr. R.C. Sproul (1939–2017) was founder of Ligonier Ministries, an international Christian discipleship organization located near Orlando, Fla. He was founding pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla., first president of Reformation Bible College, and executive editor of Tabletalk magazine.

Ligonier Ministries began in 1971 as the Ligonier Valley Study Center in Ligonier, Pa. In an effort to respond more efmagazine.

Ligonier

Crucial Questions (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Who Is Jesus? (Crucial Questions, #1)
  • Does Prayer Change Things? (Crucial Questions, #3)
  • Can I Know God's Will? (Crucial Questions, #4)
  • How Should I Live In This World? (Crucial Questions, #5)
  • What Does It Mean To Be Born Again? (Crucial Questions, #6)
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • What Is Faith? (Crucial Questions, #8)
  • What Can I Do With My Guilt? (Crucial Questions, #9)
  • What Is The Trinity? (Crucial Questions, #10)
  • What Is Baptism? (Crucial Questions, #11)
“Nicole, and Earl D. Radmacher labored very hard” 0 likes
“In the affirmation ofArticle III, the words "in its entirety" are significant. There are those who have claimed that the Bible contains revelation from God here and there, in specified places, but” 0 likes