Start by marking “The Yanks Are Coming: The United States In The First World War” as Want to Read:
The Yanks Are Coming: The United States In The First World War

The Yanks Are Coming: The United States In The First World War

Describes how American military forces helped the Allies turn the tide of World War I and how the United States mobilized industry, trained soldiers, and promoted the war to the people at home.
Published January 1987 by Atheneum Books (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Yanks Are Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yanks Are Coming

Start your review of The Yanks Are Coming: The United States In The First World War
Dawn Roberts
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent history of the US's involvement in WWI. Very thorough treatment (at a middle school reading level) of domestic sabotage, transport, naval war, and battle fronts. My only beef was one interesting comment about "propaganda" being a tool of governments, as opposed to "teachers" and "journalists" who only pursue "truth." Well, that will be a great discussion-starter when I read it aloud with my kids. ...more
Dexter
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, nonfiction
I've never been overly interested in the First World War, but I suppose that's only because I don't know much about it. Everyone kind of glosses over that war, and makes a big deal about the second one (not that that one's not important...)

Albert Marrin did a very good job getting me interested in this war. I found a lot of it fascinating, and the individual stories of the different war heroes were great. My list of favorite historical figures has grown exponentially.

Plus, the ending was great.
Mike Hanford
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
An amateur history. Useful for those who know nothing of the Great War ... but not much more than brief, glossy, highlights. No maps!! Nothing at all about recruitment and training. Very few first-hand accounts and nothing from enlisted men.
Akaitsoti
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-history
Ok.
Little House
Read this to my kids for history. Not at all our favorite, but some interesting information included.
Araceli
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Despite the fact that I had to read it for school, I actually quite enjoyed this book. Although, at times I got lost of what was happening. If you like history this book is for you.
Noel Adams
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic account of WWI. Marrin's narration is interesting rather than dry. Even my 20 year old sat in for the read-aloud because it was so well-done. Loved it! ...more
Abbie Frankman
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
I very much did not expect to enjoy this book, but I honestly loved it. It is written well in a way that is easy to read and very informative, but also interesting and affecting. It actually made me tear up at a few points, which is not something I expected from a purely informational nonfiction book. Highly recommend.
Phyllis Billingsley
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book about the United States in the First World War. My grandfather fought in the First World War at the Muese-Argonne offensive so this book really had stories that were interesting to me. The book is very well written and very informative.
Aidan
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Yanks are Coming is a great history of the United States in the first world war. Beginning with the Lusitania and finishing with the Allied victory, this book lets you in to American world war one.
Hilary Forrest
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great history of WWI. We did this as a family read aloud.
Marina
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Informative. Funny. Everyone studying World War I needs to read this book. Kudos to Albert Marrin for organizing this beauty together.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Excellent and easy-to-read account of the involvement of the United States in World War I.
Collin
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Albert Marrin. He has a great style that presents all the facts in a conversational, easy tone, without talking down. I've learned a lot of history through him already.

'The Yanks Are Coming' isn't any different. It's an engaging look at both the personal life of the Doughboy and the decisions of the uppity-ups that orchestrated WWI. As I've come to expect from Marrin, both sides of the war were treated with dignity and respect, each having its own share of good and bad (though the 'bad gu
AnnaScott
This was a good book in the academic sense. It was very informational and gave a good picture of the First World War. At the same time, the battles dragged and it had more details than I personally wanted, but it gave a good perspective on America's involvement in WWI. My favorite section was the part on the airplane pilots - it definitely took a lot of nerve to be a pilot, but they did a lot of good. ...more
Elizabeth Anne Andrews
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4/5 stars

Content: violence, some cursing in quotations

Age Reccomendation: eleven years old

Summary: The Yanks are Coming is a nonfiction book about America’s impact and involvement in the first world war.

Review: The Yanks Are Coming, is likely one of my favorite nonfictions about WWI. Its photos and stories of real soldiers made me want to keep reading.

Read the rest of my March 2020 reviews at http://www.storiesandsketches.com/202...
Hannah
Dec 10, 2008 rated it liked it
I found this book to be a good way to learn about WWI. Discussed are many different key people involved in the war including, ace Eddie Rickenbacker, presidents Roosevelt and Wilson,etc. Albert Marrin presents it in an enjoyable, readable way.
Abigail Rasmussen
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-13-and-up
Mom read this book aloud to my sister (14), brother (12) and I (17) when we were were studying Modern History. It has some descriptions of the sadness and horror of war that a different brother of mine was still too sensitive to read or listen to when he was 13 years old.
Noelle
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book which really helped me learn a lot more about WWI. My grandpa read this book while they were visiting us and said he would be recommending it to all of his veteran friends.
I also love the foreshadowing at the end of the book. WWII is coming up.
Quincy
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great history book! It kept my attention the whole time. This was a very interesting book about how the first world war played out. If I ever need to do a project on the First World War, I will definitely use this book.
Stephanie
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great read aloud about World War 1 that I read to the boys.
Lucy Buller
Jul 11, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Moonshiner's Son
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • Bonanza Girl
  • A History of US: Book 7: Reconstructing America 1865-1890
  • Out of the Dust
  • A Long Way from Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago, #1)
  • No Promises in the Wind
  • What Is the Panama Canal?
  • Keeping Score
  • A History of US: Book 6: War, Terrible War 1855-1865
  • Churchill
  • Evidence for Jesus: Discover the Facts That Prove the Truth of the Bible
  • A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2)
  • Bound for Oregon
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Up from Slavery
  • The Slopes of War
Albert Marrin is a historian and the author of more than twenty nonfiction books for young people. He has won various awards for his writing, including the 2005 James Madison Book Award and the 2008 National Endowment for Humanities Medal. In 2011, his book Flesh and Blood So Cheap was a National Book Award Finalist. Marrin is the Chairman of the History Department at New York's Yeshiva University ...more

News & Interviews