Start by marking “The Saints' Everlasting Rest” as Want to Read:
The Saints' Everlasting Rest

The Saints' Everlasting Rest

While suffering from a critical illness, Richard Baxter set his thoughts on heaven: Who is it for? What is it like? How can we prepare for it? Baxter defines eternal heavenly rest as the happiest state a Christian can experience. Baxter believed that heaven was a state of perfect freedom from evil where Christians can enjoy pure, unmediated union with God. Baxter encourage ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1650)

Start your review of The Saints' Everlasting Rest
Douglas Wilson
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Edifying and worthwhile.
David Huff
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the wise advice of C. S. Lewis, “It is a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between.” Lewis went on to elaborate: "Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books."

I am trying to make application of his advi
Dan Glover
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a class on spiritual classics. Baxter advocates contemplating (prayer, reason, will, affections, etc.) our future, eternal, full union with God in heavenly rest as the proper orientation for living a Godward earthly life. This keeps all things in their proper context and keeps the temporariness of his life ever before our minds/hearts. It serves to show that the truly important things in this life are those that assist us to attain eternal rest in God's presence and whatever hind ...more
Norman Falk
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Baxter really understand what Paul menas with: “Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” Colossians 3:2
I borrowed it (in Spanish) but after 7 pages read, I knew that I must get my own copy. Reading Baxter is a way I battle for joy in God. Highly recommended.
Dave Shulse
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
The Bible tells us many things about heaven and the future inheritance which belongs to those who put their faith in Christ. In this book, Baxter translated my thoughts away from my attachment to this world, where I take pleasure in what I sense every day, what I dream or envision to happen in the here and now, and caused me to reflect on eternal life, a life in the presence and work of God. This did not encourage me to neglect fruit-bearing here on earth, but altered my focus to look beyond my ...more
Ronnie Nichols
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr Baxter encourages the reader to seek our eternal inheritance at the expense of temporary suffering, sorrow, or delight. The beatific vision is a message rarely spoken about in modern Christian circles, but The Saints' Everlasting Rest is a wonderful reminder of the hope that awaits the believing child of God. The more of these "Puritan Classics" I read the more sadly I'm reminded of how far modern Christianity has fallen away from sound theology and doctrine. This timeless treasure can be obt ...more
Cole Ramirez
This fact that this book has so many extremely positive reviews has left me wondering if perhaps they all read a different translation than me. I know I didn't read the 1650 version, but you wouldn't know that by the language used. This was practically faith-based Shakespeare.

The content was good but redundant at times. If this is the abridged version, I pity the reader who had to slog through the complete original.

I do love old books, and I see the value in reading the Christian classics, but
Matt
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most significant and powerful books I've ever read. Baxter is both theologically rich and personable, both gravely serious and pastorally tender. A joyous, quite challenging read that presents you with the weighty reality of eternity and what it means to be someone whose eternal pursuit is Jesus. The unabridged version is worth the length and no word is wasted. Just a significant and incredible book to read through.
Larry F. Schutz
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Other than the Bible, I have never read a book that is its equal!

I'm left speechless! Saints Everlasting Rest is a book whose warnings of hell are savage and whose portraits of heaven are exquisite! God willing, I will read Saint's Everlasting Rest again and again in my remaining time in this world!
David
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am two chapters in and in love. What a glorious book.
Richard Mounce
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well done, and super convicting. The opening chapter is great.
Abdelrahman Mustafa
This could save lives.
Darby Hughes
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful. Great in parts, especially toward the end, where Baxter climaxes much of what he has taught and applies it to himself personally as a soliloquy. A bit too methodical and exhaustive in the middle, as the puritans often are.

Most of the book is designed to inspire, motivate, and encourage the Christian toward seeking things above, which allows them to view this life and its concerns, sins, joys, sorrows, possessions, etc. in an accurate light.

Only a brief part
Todd Wilhelm
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Certainly the thoughts of everlasting rest may be as delightful to souls in the present day, as they have ever been to those of past generations. I am sure such thoughts are as absolutely necessary now; nor are temptations to neglect them either fewer or weaker than formerly. The worth of everlasting rest is not felt, because a thousand trifles are preferred before it. But were the divine reasonings of this book duly attended to, (and O that the Spirit and grace of the Redeemer may make them so ...more
Jeremy Egerer
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit before writing too much that as with Baxter's other works, his heavenly ideal is so high, and the methods of pursuing it so perfect, that I was left with a sincere and heartfelt admiration for the man, a clear and compelling view of heaven, and nearly absolute disappointment in myself. Life is short; this book is a no-nonsense reminder that heaven exists, and that we must prepare ourselves to go there. I can't recommend this work highly enough -- aside from Baxter's other works, I hav ...more
Richard Minor
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baxter moves the believer to see his glorious inheritance purchased for him by the work of Christ. This contemplation of the glory of our eternal rest causes us to be more heavenly minded and think rightly about the things of this world. It is a call to think much of God's glorious promises to His people and little of the fleeting pleasures of this world.

This is an excellent book that is well worth the read.
Joshua
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tough book to read, as the content is dense. But the trek through the book is worth the time and effort. All of us will die one day, and what better way to prepare for it by reading the puritans, whose lives are lived thoroughly with their end in mind?
Tengxiang
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf
前四章觉得好看,看得比较认真,后面的at most informative reading.
Peter Stonecipher
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A helpful, extended meditation on a neglected subject, the hope of heaven. Baxter thoroughly examines the rest believers have before them and how to take hold of that rest - in small part - now.
Mike E.
QUOTES:

Though the Word and the Spirit do the main work, yet suffering so unbolts the door of the heart, that the Word hath easier entrance. (66)
Lynda Newman
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This unique book was written to prepare Christians for their new life of rest in heaven. Something to read occasionally and have next to your bed to be contemplating on when He comes to get you.
Robert
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grandmom died, so I read this. Richard Baxter was a puritan, so reading his works is like being burned from the inside. It's excruciatingly painful, but it makes one stronger and of purer alloy.
Ben James
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The biggest negative about this book is that quotes from Scripture do not provide references. A big negative. If you can find an edition with references GET IT!
Logan
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really fantastic book on the hope of heaven and the view of eternity.
Brandon Clubb
Jul 31, 2019
Joe Guydo
Jul 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Calvin's Company of Pastors: Pastoral Care and the Emerging Reformed Church, 1536-1609
  • Simplicity in Preaching
  • Christ All in All: What Christ Is Made to Believers
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • Exalting Jesus in Proverbs
  • Aristotle for Everybody
  • The Physics of Everyday Things: The Extraordinary Science Behind an Ordinary Day
  • The Trojan War: A New History
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Richard Baxter was an English Puritan church leader, poet, hymn-writer, theologian, and controversialist. Dean Stanley called him "the chief of English Protestant Schoolmen". After some false starts, he made his reputation by his ministry at Kidderminster, and at around the same time began a long and prolific
“Surely love is both work and wages.” 8 likes
“The most dangerous mistake that our souls are capable of, is, to take the creature for God, and earth for heaven (374).” 5 likes