Start by marking “The Accidental Hero (Jack Blank Adventure, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Hero (Jack Blank Adventure, #1)

The Accidental Hero (Jack Blank Adventure #1)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  5,459 Ratings  ·  351 Reviews
All Jack Blank knows is his bleak, dreary life at St. Barnaby’s Home for the Hopeless, Abandoned, Forgotten, and Lost, an orphanage that sinks further into the swampland of New Jersey with each passing year. His aptitude tests predict that he will spend a long, unhappy career as a toilet brush cleaner. His only chance at escape comes through the comic books donated years a ...more
ebook, 2nd Edition, 496 pages
Published April 26th 2011 by Aladdin (first published July 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Hero, please sign up.
Wolfie I'm only ten years old, and I loved the book. Trust me, its worth your time to read this. I don't want to spoil the ending!
April W. There are people with superpowers and characters that are superheroes/supervillains, and although this concept is engrained in the story it is not a…moreThere are people with superpowers and characters that are superheroes/supervillains, and although this concept is engrained in the story it is not a major focus for the book. It would be more accurately science fiction or sci-fi, as there is advanced technology and aliens, as well as other sci-fi components. Overall however, this book is a mix of classic genre tropes so you can't really fit it into one genre.(less)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books
12-year-old Jack Blank doesn’t know who he is, where he came from or who his parents are. He does know that he’s a VERY bored orphan at St. Barnaby’s Home for the Hopeless, Abandoned, Forgotten, and Lost (a pretty depressing place). Finally something exciting (but pretty frightening) happens in Jack’s life: He gets attacked by an evil Robo-Zombie and has to find a way to destroy it! Jack is saved from the orphanage by Jazen Knight, an official from the Imagine Nation. Jazen takes Jack to the Ima ...more
Jacqueline
Oct 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation-Book Review

Reviewer- Jacqueline

Sometimes, some books are just so horrible you feel like you just fell down a deep, deep, dark, scary but boring hole. Now ladies and gentlemen, here’s something I’d like to share with you, about a book called Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation by Matt Myklush. Maybe you’ve read this book before, or maybe you haven’t. Whether you’re a Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation fan or not, I thought that book was…HORRIBLE!!!!! I personally l
Michelle Isenhoff
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by Erik, from ThisKidReviewsBooks. In fact, he reviewed it in a guest post here on my blog. This summer, when he reviewed the sequel on his blog, I decided book one might be a great read-aloud to start out my son’s homeschool year. Erik assured me he would love it, so I ordered it from the library.

It was a great way to start out the homeschool year. You see, reading is unimaginably difficult for my son. While he’s old enough that he should be reading novels like t
Krista
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for my kid while we were on a road trip; we stopped in Oxford, MS and while my husband tromped in the footsteps of Faulkner, my kid and I spent a couple of hours at Square Books. This book was recommended by the staff there as something a kid who loves Harry Potter and Percy Jackson would enjoy.

So I bought it and handed it to Cameron; one of the first books I've given him without a pre-read. I guess I was tired.

He read it before we pulled into Nashville that afternoon and pronoun
Henry S.
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read Accidental Hero by Matt Myklusch. The genre of this book is fantasy because the main character has a superpower which makes it fantasy because superpowers aren't real. In this book Jack Blank, the main character, is an orphan at St. Barnabys. He was dropped off there with a note that said Jack. He meets Jazen who is a cyborg who takes him to Imagine Nation. It is there where he discovers he has powers. He must fight the Rüstov to prove he is not one himself. The internal conflict in this ...more
Raenice Weakly
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, favorites
Author: Matt Myklusch
Genre: Middle Grade; Fantasy
Release Date: August, 2010
Source: Library
Rating: 5/5

Description: All Jack Blank knows is his bleak, dreary life at St. Barnaby's Home for the Hopeless, Abandoned, Forgotten, and Lost, an orphanage that sinks further into the swampland of New Jersey with each passing year. His aptitude tests predict that he will spend a long, unhappy career as a toilet brush cleaner. His only chance at escape comes through the comic books donated years ago to the o
Carrie Slager
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had my doubts about this book when my friend lent it to me. The way she described it…well it made me less than enthusiastic, I have to admit. Yet I decided to give The Accidental Hero (first published under the title Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation) a chance. After all, I had been skeptical when the same friend lent me Cinder and it turned out to be amazing.

Matt Myklusch’s novel pokes tongue-in-cheek fun at old superhero tropes while at the same time putting a new spin on them so that young
Nikki
If I didn't have to read this for a committee, I would have stopped reading after the first chapter. The premise is interesting, and I like the concept of the book, I just HATED the writing. There was nothing compelling about the main character, he didn't ever really DO anything, just kind of passively floated around. I think this passivity might not bother kids, but it really made it hard me as a reader to be excited about what happens next. Recommend this to kids who are looking for a superher ...more
Giovanni L
This by far has to be one of the best books that I have ever read and from what I want this book should be a movie because it really has everything that you want and every genre you can think of.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Jack Blank is such a brilliantly written book, with an amazing setting, wonderful characters and a lot of powerful messages written within it's pages. It's a place where all the super heros & real life heros I grew up with and even never before heard of heros, live. It makes the extraordinary seem ordinary.

Twelve year old Jack Blank has been living in a horrible orphanage, where he's constantly picked up on the bully Rex, and finds excitement in reading his comic books. Jack Blank has no ide
Seanean
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

For the last eleven years, Jack has been raised at St. Barnaby's Home for the Hopeless, Abandoned, Forgotten, and Lost ("Crushing the spirit of childhood since 1898"). He was found on the doorstep with the name "Jack" on the cradle and no last name. So now Jack is Jack Blank, victim of bullies and evil teachers everywhere.
But Jack isn't a wimp and he's not one to let the daily grind of extra chores get him down. On a day when the rest of the orphanage is
An Odd1
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fan, fantasy
http://www.jackblank.com Jack Blank 12 is a bullied orphan until a comic-book Robo-Zombie, indestructible Rüstov Revile, attacks. Emissary Jazen Knight takes Jack to a secret island "Imagine Nation" of aliens and super-heroes. Only Jack has survived the Rüstov parasite infection longer than an hour.

Best bits are big surprise twists, fights - wham bash bam. Worst bits are long-winded descriptions, when they first land at futuristic Empire City p 83. Mostly Jack acts older, reminders of his age a
Z
Dec 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
While the book The Accidental Hero had a nice lead, the lead soon dropped into a monotonous book about a bullied and put-down kid finding his special powers in forbidden reading (comics). The plot deteriorates to a boring and predictable setting. You have Jack, the main character, bullied and given the worst tasks at a "Home for the Hopeless" (which is basically a boarding school, except for Jack, who is there for no reason in particular). Next enters his "strange" powers, which he is somehow bl ...more
Roxane
This was a nice traditional science-fantasy middle grade novel - young orphaned boy who can't seem to fit in, discovers he's got superpowers and gets swept away into a fantastical world in which some of his favorite comic characters turn out to be real - with a nice twist in the end that's definitely got me wanting to read its sequel.

Despite the traditional tropes common in most fantasy, coming of age novels, I think this book would make a wonderful read for younger readers not quite as jaded a
C
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Do you know the Avengers? Have you ever wonder why it takes so many superheroes (including a Norse god) to combat any foe? Because cool superheroes make good comic books. "The Accidental Hero" really is a comic book; it creates characters with superpowers galore and places with visual appeals. It reminds me of the Skylander game populated with characters that possess different powers and moves, and as many dimensions as the screen they inhabit. They have been created to distract the minds of 10 ...more
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
"...the future is not written. It lies in the choices you make. Our future is ours to decide. Always."

Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation or also known as The Accidental Hero, is a heartwarming and inspiring tale of courage, faith, believing in yourself and many more. This MG book really surprised me.

Wow! I was so inspired by all the encouraging and motivational ideas and messages. It challenges you to stretch your imagination and dream big. You carve out your own future. Who you are now doesn't
Dylan Jones
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. This book was about a kid stuck on a superhero island. If you like superheroes, fantasy, and robots, this is a book for you. Jack Blank grew up in an orphanage and ever since has been messing with electricity. Whenever they went on field trips, the school bus always broke down. One day, Jack runs into a robot set on killing him. He made the power generator explode and destroyed it, but that wasn't the end. Jack was taken to an island where people with specialties go to ...more
Stas
Oct 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF at 17%

I refuse to subject myself to any further torture. NO MORE!

This is bland and cardboard-like. It's mind-numbing in simplicity. Clarification: there are 1) simple = easy to understand and 2) simple = bland, dull, oversimplified. This here is the later case.

This would probably be suitable for a 6.y.o but I don't think a kid that young would appreciate whatever story the author was trying to build here.

FINAL VERDICT: AVOID LIKE A PLAGUE
Believe you me, there are better books out there. Har
Nicole
Sep 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry for all of you lovers of this book, but to me this was the most boring story I have ever read. It took all that I had to get half way through. I personally think that every thing was blown way out of proportion. All of the details had to be a "Go Big, or Go Home" type. I found that this book was extremely typical. It starts out with a poor orphan boy, who winds up belonging to this secret nation, and it turns out that he's part of this evil villain association, and it's all up to him to sa ...more
Kristofer
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good reads review
The Accidental Hero is a great book for anyone who liked the Harry Potter or the Percy Jackson series would love the Jack Blank Adventures series because basically the base of the story is that Jack Blank who is the main character is an orphan and he doesn't know who he is or where he was born. It is almost the same beginning as harry potter but instead of wizardry it is superpowers and other talents by saying that I am recommending this book to everyone.
------kristofer
Denae Christine
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
More of a 3.5, because the main character was kind of dumb through part of it. He wants so badly to question this villain, so why does he wait until after he has spent an entire night guarding the villain? Why doesn't he question it then? And he isn't sacrificial. At all. He could give up himself and save everyone, but instead he's content to let them fight for him.
Well, he is twelve, but still.
I am looking forward to the next one. The end of this book set up the next book's conflict pretty well
Dan
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sometimes books need to be read with the perspective that they were meant for. The Accidental Hero is one. Read it, but keep in mind it was written for kids to read. Stay light hearted and forgiving and you'll discover a something great.

It was so much fun to read! Think Harry Potter for superheros . . . my kids are going to love it. Perfectly clean, perfectly exciting. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series! Appropriate for all ages.
Tamara (Tamaraniac)
I still love this book so much, but I will admit that this is the lesser book of the series. There's a lot of action but it's pretty compacted to the end of the book, and the majority of this one is made up of set up. Though entertaining, enjoyable set up. The amount of foreshadowing is pretty amazing... And some of the lines that u know the eventuality of are just CHILLING.
Jeff Raymond
This isn’t the worst book for kids I’ve ever read, but it might be up there. It’s a ham-fisted political allegory, a mostly-predictable plot with ridiculously unrealistic characters and common tropes. Just…yikes. I got an advance of it, so maybe there’s something that’ll be adjusted or cut or something, but just not a good book at all. Very disappointing.
Valerie Craven
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book for the preteen or young teen. I enjoyed reading it as an adult. We used this book as a summer book club pick for 6th - 8th grade homeschoolers. They LOVED it. The author creates a great imaginary world, uses funny plays on words and builds suspense without being gory or terrifying. I HIGHLY recommend this!
Hadessephy
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, mg, mlm
Typical mid grade fantasy novel about a boy who knows nothing about who he really is, then with discovery is whisked off to another world.

Cute and occasionally funny, I will give props for the twist ending. Besides that nothing really sets this book apart from the hoards of novels in this genre with similar plots like this.
Faith
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a first novel, this was a well-told story. I've lately been reading more children's books in the hopes to have a treasure trove for my girls when they're big enough. This was engaging and fun and extremely imaginative. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Allegra
Nov 21, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I got this book for free after seeing Harry Potter. The sole redeeming quality of the book was that there was a character with the same name as me in it. Other than that, it was just humorously poor.
Courtnie
Apr 02, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF 197 of 450
pati
For those who love comic books and superheroes, this is the book for you. For the rest of us, avoid like the plague!
Fantasy 1 2 Sep 06, 2017 12:51PM
If you were Jack how would you have reacted if you were in his situation? 4 6 Dec 12, 2014 10:49PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation by Matt Myklusch 1 4 Sep 26, 2012 08:40PM
  • Super Human (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #4)
  • Quest for Merlin's Map (Jumper Chronicles, #1)
  • The Cloak Society (The Cloak Society, #1)
  • Earthfall (Earthfall, #1)
  • The Call (The Magnificent 12, #1)
  • The Dead Gentleman
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sorcerer's Secret (Gods of Manhattan, #3)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Nightmare Academy (Nightmare Academy #1)
  • The Cheerleaders of Doom (NERDS, #3)
  • Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1)
  • Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread #1)
Matt Myklusch is a middle-grade fantasy / adventure writer and the creator of SEABORNE (Lerner Books) and THE JACK BLANK ADVENTURES (Simon & Schuster).

Despite his age, Matt has never grown up. This serves him well both at night, and very early in the morning, when he battles injustice in the form of pirates, super-villains, and robot zombies.

Matt lives in New Jersey with his wife and family,
More about Matt Myklusch

Jack Blank Adventure (3 books)
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
  • The End of Infinity (Jack Blank Adventure, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“...the future is not written. It lies in the choices you make. Our future is ours to decide. Always.” 35 likes
“The 'bad guys' are the ones who are often misunderstood” 23 likes