Start by marking “The Stupidest Angel (Pine Cove, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Stupidest Angel (Pine Cove, #3)

The Stupidest Angel

(Pine Cove #3)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  38,368 ratings  ·  2,967 reviews
It was the week before Christmas and little Joshua Barker is in desperate need of a Christmas miracle. Josh is sure he saw Santa being killed. But coming to Earth seeking a small child whose wish needs granting is none other than Archangel Raziel. Unfortunately, he's not sporting the brightest halo in the bunch.
Published 2008 by Orbit (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Stupidest Angel, please sign up.
Michael It's not so much a series as they are stories set in the same town with many of the same characters. There are occasional references to things that…moreIt's not so much a series as they are stories set in the same town with many of the same characters. There are occasional references to things that happened in other books, but nothing that spoils any of the stories. I read them out of sequence. In some of the earlier books, I had the "aha" moment.(less)

·  38,368 ratings  ·  2,967 reviews

John
Sep 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is not to love about a book that has a pot smoking law official married to a crazy woman who runs around naked with a broad sword, brain sucking zombies lead by Santa who want to go shopping at IKEA, incompetent arc angel who likes snickers, and a talking fruit bat? I found the story to be very entertaining with several laugh out loud points (I listened to it on tape). I’d recommend this book to anyone who can just let go of reality and enjoy a tale.
Jason Koivu
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fiction
Kitchen sink wackiness and a troop of tropes parade through a book not half as hilarious as I had hoped it would be.

In a barely fictional California coastal town -that's about two hours from where I live and, to the writer's credit, I feel pretty sure I've been there- the locals of a sleepy tourist town prepare for Christmas. A handful of middle-aged divorcees, lonesome loners, curmudgeons, and crazies bitch and bumble their way through a hair-(and more)-raising couple of days. A celestial visi
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another Christopher Moore book I have enjoyed reading, and they have all been hilarious.

Very funny and it had that Christopher Moore kookiness, even some returns of fun characters.

If you like zombies, you may like this.

But this is not one that I would recommend to begin reading his works. If you have never read any of his books try Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal or A Dirty Job first.

Still pretty good.

description
Aoibhínn
The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror was my first Christopher Moore novel. This novel is not the type of book I normally read.

The plot was quite thin but there were tons of funny scenes that made me giggle and snicker (it wasn't funny enough to make me laugh out loud). However I got bored with this book pretty quickly. The humour in this book is very "in your face" type humour. The humour was just so repetitive that it started to get on my nerves after a while and the jo
Scarlet Cameo

Con la advertencia más divertida que hay al iniciar la historia nos adentramos a la historia de un pequeño pueblo afectado por las estupidez de un ángel...que no es la primera vez que se equivoca

"No era su primera misión de natividad. No, de hecho, había sido el encargado de la primera de todas, pero como se había entretenido echando una partida de pinacle, llego con un retraso de 10 años y había anunciado al propio hijo prepubescente que encontraría un bebé envuelto en mantillas en un pesebre"
Paula
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its utterly rediculous, but its also laugh out loud FUNNY. Im listening on audio book and I've never enjoyed doing laundry more. Its totally odd ball, irreverent, immature, deviously clever and just plain silly, as are most of Moore's books. It doesn't matter if you find the story "believeable" its TOO FUNNY for me to care.

C'mon, washed-up female-battle-warrior cult movie star whos totally nuts (in a friendly crazy neighbor sort of way) married to pot smoking sherrif. DEA helicopeter subcontrac
Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
 photo notamused_zpsrjf7fhiu.gif

There's nothing more to say here really. I'm throwing in the towel. I am on disc 3 and have been so completely zoned out I feel like I may have to go all the way back to the beginning. I don't know if I'm just distracted, completely humorless or falling into another slump but this book could not entertain me and I have far too many others sitting here to force it upon myself. The angel is indeed stupid as promised but so are most of the other characters (and there are MANY of them) and it's all
Marvin
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just picked this book for our book club's December read but couldn't wait until December to read it. I guess you can say that a little Christmas mayhem is good for any time of the year. And if you think Christmas tales are rather lame, peruse this single paragraph at the beginning of the novel.
In another Christmas story, Dale Pearson, evil developer, self-absorbed woman hater, and seemingly unredeemable curmudgeon, might be visited in the night by a series of ghosts who, by showing him bleak v
✨Susan✨
My favorite Christmas read. Just so off, it's funny. My third year to love this odd story. Fun as a buddy read with my fun pal Mary Beth.
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those with a twisted sense of humour
3 stars: It starts weak, you know that snarky humour that can wear thin real fast? Then he switches to crude. Crude done well can be hilarious and Moore’s a master. It’s a bizarre story packed with quirky characters, an action packed little page turner. Throw in a cemetery full of gossipy dead people, a murder, an archangel on a mission, zombies and a fruit bat. It’s even got a few decent though admittedly twisted love interests. My favorite the pot addicted cop and his warrior babe wife (a lov ...more
Chris
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5 stars.

This really had some potential, and some of the stuff was downright hilarious. But it did seem to run a bit long at times. Still, Christopher Moore is a funny dude and I'll read more of his stuff.

Plus, the audio was dead-on. The narrator, Tony Roberts, had a great voice for narration and nailed the characters. His delivery of Moore's punchlines was spot on too.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Santa?
Murdered?
WTF!!
This book had me rooting for the poor dippy angel trying to help the poor boy.
I almost dropped this book into the bathtub from laughing so hard.
IT's that cute.
Sandi
I don't think a book has made me laugh this much since Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. I want to be the Warrior Babe of the Outland and fight zombies who want to eat brains and go to IKEA. I saw the movie Zombieland this past weekend and that might have just put me in the right frame of mind for this book.

Humor in literature is a very subjective thing. What makes one person laugh his butt off is just dumb and annoying to someone else. I love the humor of Conni
Stephen
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I generally enjoy Moore's comedies but this one's just too silly.

Raziel, God's stupidest angel has been sent to earth to grant a Christmas miracle to a lucky child. In the quaint village of Pine Cove, he meets 8 year old Joshua, a recent witness to the death of Santa (actually the accidental killing of local jerk Dale, in a Santa suit, by his ex-wife), who fears Christmas is lost. Raziel seeks to rectify the matter by raising Santa--and every other corpse in the graveyard--from the dead on Chris
Eric
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Christopher Moore, other people who like to laugh
Recommended to Eric by: Bobbi Madigan
How else but in a mad lib could you have a book involving an idiot angel, a pot smoking sheriff, a zombie Santa, a talking fruit bat, and Kendra, Warrior Babe of the Outland? From the mind and pen of Christopher Moore, that's how!

This is typical Moore fare, which is to say, atypical, irreverent, and funny as hell. It's a short, quick read that never takes itself the least bit seriously, and, best yet, it's a Christmas story (I really hope they make a movie out of this, as is allegedly in the wor
Shayantani Das
Jul 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Three frequently repeated reactions while reading this book:

Arghh!! How lame/ irritating/ silly!!
Arghh!! Stop swearing you *******!!
Arghh!! This is not funny, its STUPID!!

The Stupidest angel was a stupid book, with stupid angels, and other stupid and irritating characters and stupid jokes which gave me a headache and were not funny, and I am not stupid enough to read it anymore. I GIVE UP!!
Kevin
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming? (meant ironically) A stupid angel is supposed to give a child his Christmas wish. The 7 year old child sees "Santa" getting hit with a shovel and wishes that Santa was still alive. Santa comes back to life with a group of his dead friends as zombies. This book had a couple of very funny scenes but in my opinion was definitely not worth the time.
SheriC (PM)
A dimwitted and incompetent angel loses a bet and picks a town full of zany characters in which to fulfill it. Hijinks and frantic hilarity ensue.

I found it entertaining enough to occupy my mind while running errands. Audiobook version via Audible. Good performance by Tony Roberts.
Carol
The Stupidest Angel really is one crazy, twisted book! This is the warning from author Christopher Moore just prior to the first chapter.....so take heed:

"If you're buying this book as a gift for your grandma or a kid, you should be aware that it contains cusswords as well as tasteful depictions of cannibalism and people in their forties having sex. Don't blame me. I told you."

Anyway, I did have a few laughs resulting from the freakish conversations between the undead in the graveyard, and did

Leslie
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like demented stuff
Shelves: audiobooks, christmas
If you're sick of all the sentimental Christmas stories and looking for something a little different and have a twisted sense of humor. This is the book for you.

My favorite scenes were when the dead people would talk to each other in the cemetery. I also liked how a lot of characters were very crochety and not shy about cussing.

Christopher Moore is the greatest at twisted, dark humor :)
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
"A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror." Yes, that kind of sums it up. This book was just....terrible. I'm sorry, I never, ever say that about books, but this one I just have to.

This is the second book I have read by Christopher Moore. This is the second book I have disliked by Christopher Moore. His books are just too out there for me. I guess I just don't like my Christmas mixed with zombies and pot and ridiculous dead-end relationships in small, hickville towns. The only reason I read this
Serena
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Moore's The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror is another audiobook to entertain, even at 5 A.M. on the commute into the city. My husband and I have gotten into a habit of listening to audiobooks in the car when we travel to and from work, and when we take little road trips.

Christopher Moore's books seem to be the most addictive for us even with the sometimes dark humor and harsh content. The Stupidest Angel is no exception.

The book is set in Pine Cove, Calif.,
Britany
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was a completely different type of read for me. It was different, funny, and very odd. I went with where the author took me and tried to think of it as realistic at all. It was a nice change of pace concerning holiday reading.

Zombies, drunk santas, and warrior women? Sign me up!
Krista
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was Raziel's first Christmas miracle. He'd been passed over for the task for two thousand years, but finally his turn had come up. Well, actually, the Archangel Michael's turn had come up, and Raziel ended up getting the job by losing in a card game. Michael had bet the planet Venus against his assigned task of performing the Christmas miracle this year. Venus! Although he wasn't really sure what he would have done with Venus had he won it, Raziel knew he needed the second planet, if for n
Sublimacia
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keď sa ma opýtate aký je môj najobľúbenejší vianočný príbeh, tak odpoviem Najhlúpejší anjel.
Keď sa ma opýtate aká je moja najoblúbenejšia najvtipnejšia kniha, tak odpoviem Najhlúpejší anjel.
Keď sa ma opýtate aká je moja najoblúbenejšia zombie kniha, tak odpoviem Najhlúpejší anjel.

Toto je proste jeden z najlepších príbehov, aké som kedy čítal a patrí k vianociam práve tak ako Hans Gruber padajúci z Nakatomi Plaza.
Chris
Time to start reviewing some of my seasonal favorites, starting with my absolute favorite Christmas book, at least my favorite modern Christmas book. Subtitled A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, this book doesn't stint on the seasonally heartwarming. Or the terror. Or the laughs!

"Fear not...for I bring you tidings of great joy. Behold, your Christmas wish has been granted...Not what I would have wished for..."

By the time Raziel, the common sense challenged angel of the title, makes this pr
Megan Baxter
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth Christopher Moore book I've read, and with the exception of Lamb, which I loved, the other three have evoked much the same reaction. I enjoyed them, I was mildly amused, occasionally laughed, but was left without passion for the books. (I often have the same reaction to Terry Pratchett, which may earn me no friends at all.)

I do enjoy them! I will probably pick another up at some future point. But I'm in no hurry to do so. When I do get around to it, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But
Charlene Intriago
Parts of this book are incredibly funny but by the time you get to page 211 of this 306 page book, you know you are reading one of the most "warped" Christmas books ever! It is satire at its finest. It's Christmas in Pine Cove, California - just one of your typical little coastal towns that depends on the annual event for an influx of tourist dollars - but has a whole cast of zany characters starting with the town's only cop Theo Crowe (who has moved past his hippie days to become one of Califor ...more
Sara
Ah, what to say about this book? I expected funnier. I really expected funnier. The review I read of this book made me (and my friends) laugh out loud. It was like seeing the trailer for a movie and laughing so much and then going to the show and realizing that the trailer had all the funny bits.

I did like the scene with Molly in the Pine Cove Bait and Tackle and Fine Wine shop. She was my favorite character in the book and I liked the scenes with her. Also, Christmas zombies are always good. Th
Jim
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has no redeeming value other than being entertaining & short with a dash of heartwarming. Pure snark, mildly amusing, & kind of fun, but the joke was wearing thin by the end. I'm rounding up to give it 3 stars. Still, it has Xmas, zombies, & definitely the stupidest angel. The best characters were the dog, the bat, & the psycho warrior princess, not necessarily in that order...

Yeah, it was kind of weird, but very well read.

I'm not sure, but I might have liked this more if I

• Divine Misfortune
  • When Elves Attack (Serge Storms, #14)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Night of the Living Trekkies
  • Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
  • Big Trouble
  • Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About
  • HELP!  A Bear is Eating Me!
  • Pest Control
  • Brains: A Zombie Memoir

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums

Pine Cove (3 books)
  • Practical Demonkeeping (Pine Cove, #1)
  • The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove (Pine Cove, #2)
“People, generally, suck.” 2377 likes
“Christmas crept into Pine Cove like a creeping Christmas thing: dragging garland, ribbon, and sleigh bells, oozing eggnog, reeking of pine, and threatening festive doom like a cold sore under the mistletoe.” 150 likes