Start by marking “Eddie's War” as Want to Read:
Eddie's War

Eddie's War

World War II. Hitler is threatening to take over the world. Eddie Carl thinks America should stop him-it's just plain right. But Eddie's just a kid, and the farm in Ellisville, Illinois, is a long way from the fighting.

Ellisville: where the big news stories are gophers in the graveyard and the new bank alarm. But then America joins the war and Eddie's brother Thomas goes o

Published August 1st 2011 by Namelos (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eddie's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eddie's War

Alex (not a dude) Baugh
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-2
In Eddie’s War, Carol Fisher Saller explores the impact of World War II on a young boy living on a small farm in Ellisville, Illinois. It is written as a series of dated vignettes, in verse, beginning in January 1934 and ending in November 1944.

Eddie Carl is the younger son of Wynton and May Carl. In January 1934, Eddie is left at the library by his older brother Thomas, while he is at the barber shop. Eddie sees a man reading the newspaper and when the librarian asks if she can help him, Eddie
Sheila Welch
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Between January 1934 and November 1944, Eddie Carl grows up.

When Eddie is very young, he discovers newspapers from various cities in the public library. Soon he feels as if he knows a lot about the wide world that exists beyond his dad’s corn fields in Illinois. But no one else seems interested except Jozef, a gypsy who studies the newspapers, searching for the name of his hometown in Poland where his family, including a son, still live. Eddie feels a connection with Jozef that forms a strong t
Heidi
I quite enjoyed this book. I confess I didn't used to read much poetry, not that I hate it, but there were just other genres I liked better. As I've grown older though, I've branched out, willing to try things I haven't read before. I've been lucky so far, in that, the verse novels I've read have been especially good ones. This book joins that list. I think one of the things I enjoyed the most was the way Saller put her words together. Each line created a picture in my mind as I read, each addit ...more
Bookworm1858
I must admit that I entered this book skeptically seeing that it was laid out in what looked like verse and my skepticism increased as I realized how short each chapter was and how short the book overall was. How could it possibly develop any characters or themes with such little time? Well, if you saw my star review up there, you'd see that Saller succeeded admirably and left me blinking back some tears because the characters did get under my skin and make me care.

This book is a historical nove
Shannon Hitchcock
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love historical fiction and what made this novel unique is that it's written in verse. Eddie Carl is not old enough to fight in WWII, but we see the war through his eyes when his brother, Thomas, becomes a pilot.

For me the most heartbreaking part of EDDIE'S WAR is the relationship between Eddie's Grama Lucy and his grampa. Grampa blames Grama Lucy for their daughter's death many years ago and is physically abusive. The first time he hits her in the book catches both young Eddie and the reader
Pam Torres
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have thoroughly enjoyed Saller's sensitive story of friendship, growing up during the 1940's. This historical fiction is easy to read, yet it's laced with deep moral issues that bring great appreciation for that time in history. I would highly recommend this as a companion to the study of WW2 because the insight into what middle grade kids were talking about and their thoughts about war. Making comparisons and correlations would lead to some great discussions. It has inspired me to take some t ...more
Penny Peck
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-ya
Written in free verse poetry form, this distinctive historical fiction novel is set in a farming community, beginning in the 1930's. The town reacts to the imminent war, with high school boys intent on joining the military, and others distrustful of the gypsy refugees who have moved to the area. Eddie is a young teen, but worries about his older brother who is away at the war, as well as other friends and neighbors who may not return home. Eddie befriends an old "gypsy" man at the library (both ...more
Lorriezm
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Eddie's War is a collection of journal entries that tell the story of
a young boy's life growing up during wartime (1934-1944). The journal is written by Eddie and the voice is believable and beautiful and pulls you in from the first page. Carol Fisher Saller's writing is amazing! She colors beautiful pictures with few and simple words. The story is touching and deals with such things as justice, prejudice, first love, family secrets and life in general during wartime. Please read it! It is defi
Barbie
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ah-mazing! It isn't the kind of book I would normally pick up, but I met the author at a conference last year and she mentioned it in conversation, so I thought I would check it out. Written in a prose poem style, "Eddie's War" is heavily peppered with surprising turns of phrase, evocatively beautiful language, and a number of touching moments. I chuckled out loud more than I usually do, and I wanted to read it more slowly than any book I've read in recent memory. I hated for it to be over. Well ...more
Dolores
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Free verse account of life on the home front during WWII. Even though a war in Europe seems far away at the beginning of this story, we see how it can effect even small town America. And soon, Eddie has an older brother and a friend serving in the war and a neighbor who is a gypsy and has family in Hitler's path. Through Eddie's sensitive eyes we learn that doing the right thing is everyone's problem, everyone's responsibility, everyone's battle.
Janice
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Eddie's War is a short and quick read about growing up in small town America around the time of WWII. Eddie, his friends and family are all well rounded characters in the story which provide a glimpse of the feelings in America as WWII is beginning. The fear, prejudice, and pride shine through each short chapter. It reads at a fast pace and would make a great library addition for middle school reluctant readers.
Suzanne
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was not prepared to like this books so much! This novel in verse tells of Eddie's life before, during, and after WWII. The narrative is sparce, and meaningful. Saller lets the reader feel as if she is meeting her characters in person. I found myself both laughing out loud (the rifle firing story in the beginning with his father) and crying as friends of his died in the war. Although the story is set historically, in WWII years, it is easy to relate to Eddie and his world.
Virginia Walter
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This novel in verse covers ten years in Eddie's life, from his childhood in 1934 through his adolescence in 1944. It also covers his growing awareness of the war in Europe. His older brother enlists and becomes a fighter pilot; another neighbor dies on the battlefield. The small Midwestern town is a microcosm of the shades of opinion and responses to World War II on the home front.
Ruth
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully done! And I don't just say that because the author is a friend & work colleague. This is a really well-crafted YA novel set in the 1930s & 40s in central Illinois. It's formatted in broken lines resembling poetry, but I think the cover description, "lyrical collection of prose vignettes," is probably the most accurate way of categorizing it. Much is done with spare, taut language.
Bonny
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This review is based on an e-galley from Netgalley.com.

This sweet story was a surprising treat of historical fiction. Saller has a unique style that tells Eddie's story in just the right way. I love how each short chapter is centered around one event and expresses the experiences of Eddie growing up in his small home town around the time of WWII. A great read!
Kermit
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I like books written in prose. This book is a snapshot of a dozen years of a boy's life in rural Illinois. The prose gives a warm picture of Eddie's home life, farm life, his extended family, his friends, and the circumstances of life on the homefront during World War II.
Sheryl
The story, told in verse, of pre-teen Eddie during World War II. He tells the story of his brother and friends going off to war, and prejudice against people who are different in his small Illinois town.
Kathy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! All of the short little vignettes add up to one big story about Eddie, his family, and their small community during world war two and the days leading up to our involvement. Some of the little stories would be interesting to use with common core reading!
Leane
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the freedom of using poetry rather than prose. It told the story just as well and gave it a different tone. simply beautiful writing, and horray for the rural Illinois setting!
Nancy
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This will be a good recommendation for the reluctant reader who must read an historical novel. Good storytelling, good characters. It is a quick read but has depth. Well done.
Kyle
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute book. Still not entirely sold on the "lyrical prose" aspect of it but it was a good story.
Jo Davidsmeyer
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book .... but then I'm a WWII nut AND adore poetry. Not sure if kids will be as excited by this book as I was.
Rina
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 20book-chalenge
“Eddie’s War” by Carol Fisher Saller is a fantastic and intriguing book.. This book is written about World War Ⅱ. Hitler is threatening to take over the world and Eddie thinks America should stop him. But Eddie is just a normal boy with no magical power who lives in Ellisville, Illinois with his family. But he couldn't do anything about it and he felt far away from war. But then his brother Thomas goes to fly a bomber in the war so suddenly the war did not seem far away. While he has many proble ...more
Stacy Ford
Shannon
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This spare novel is packed full of charm. What most writers need pages and pages for, Saller can convey in mere paragraphs. The short chapters Saller presents focus deeply on a given moment....some of these moments made me laugh out loud, some made me hold my breath, and others made me cry. The language is beautiful, each word carefully chosen.

Eddie's War is Eddie's own tale of life during a confusing time. And while Eddie lives in a small town, where he believes nothing ever happens, there exi
Barbara
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla, war
Spanning January 1934 through November 1944, this novel in verse follows the experiences of Eddie Carl who grows up in Ellisville, Illinois. Although it starts off a bit slowly, the book gains in interest as Eddie matures and watches his older brother Thomas go off to fly bombers during WWII. Meanwhile, Eddie has his own struggles at home as he must find the courage to help his gypsy friend when he is falsely accused of arson as well as stand up to his abusive grandfather who has been bullying h ...more
Aliina
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, blue
Themes: "doing the right thing"/morality; coming-of-age; war; family/community; standing up for yourself/others

A decent understanding of WW2 history is likely helpful for any younger readers--keeping track of the dates for each vignette makes the story much easier to guess at and follow. Style is a bit awkward at first, but reads well enough like a story. Not exactly sure why the author wanted to use poetry for prose, other than perhaps to move the story along faster?

Several plots to trace:
1. Jo
Alina Klein
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Eddie's war is a story that begs to be read in one sitting. The diary-like entries are brief enough that I couldn't stop myself from reading "just one more" and, though each one felt self-contained, they connected in myriad ways, illuminating and deepening the events of the others.

I can't believe how much story is packed into such spare verse. I cheered, mourned, felt indignant, and even laughed out loud while reading it. Eddie's War has everything I ask for from a novel.
Clifford
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
Eddie's War is a wonderful book. Set before and during WW II in a small town in Illinois, it follows young Eddie as he confronts a host of problems in his family and the community. The writing is crisp, the dialog authentic, and vignettes that make up the many short chapters are frequently funny. The book is geared toward young readers, but is rewarding for adults. I highly recommend it.

The book is scheduled to be released August 1, 2011.
Alli
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I am not really a fan of historical fiction or a fan of verse and this book is both. That being said, I did not hate this. Which is actually quite a compliment. I can see the appeal, especially for people who are fans of those genres.
« previous 1 3 next »
This is a duplicate page, not the main page 1 1 Jan 15, 2012 06:27AM
Carol Saller grew up in Peoria, Illinois, and as an adult moved around for some years before settling in Chicago. She works at the University of Chicago Press as editor of The Chicago Manual of Style's online Q&A, which led to her write The Subversive Copy Editor.

Eddie's War is her first novel for children. Set in rural Illinois during World War II, its collection of vignettes portrays a young