Start by marking “The Rice Bag Hammock” as Want to Read:
The Rice Bag Hammock

The Rice Bag Hammock

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The Rice Bag Hammock is a book that takes its readers on the journey of an ordinary burlap bag. It makes its way from holding freshly harvested rice to becoming the center of playground, family life, community and everyday activities.
Told in a lyrical voice and filled with vibrant detailed illustrations of scenic Guyana countryside, The Rice Bag Hammock is a picture book
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Rice Bag Hammock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rice Bag Hammock

Haresh Daswani
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you want a story to tell to children, with beautiful, notstalgic pictures. This book has to be in the bookshelf.

It depicts a friendly, serene rural life that a child can have pleasant dreams of. It gives a sort of calming comfort to the child, and is a friendly read.

There are times when I worry about what books have been accepted to the realm of children's books, and it is comforting to know that there are still books like these that we can share as a gift to a friend's child, our own childre
Karen B.
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, teachers, anyone
This is a wonderful picture book. I was fortunate to be able to read an electronic copy online and the pictures as well as the words came up clearly.

Personally I loved the memories it evoked for me, of family and togetherness and of just plain having fun as a child. This one hammock ties the children together to their Grandfather, to their pats (cute little cats) and to their friends. As the author has stated in her comments this is a book about community. I love the book for its simplicity and
Rahma Krambo
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Picture books portray an illusion of simplicity and are usually underrated in the book world. The Rice Bag Hammock is simple, but as a writer I know how much goes on behind the scenes to make simple look effortless which this book achieves.

Like the threads of the rice bags woven into a hammock, this story is woven from memories of the author's warm home life. Its lyrical, repeated text is reminiscent of 'this is the house that Jack built' with a tropical flavor. Its vivid, yet soft pastel illust
Becca Chopra
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reading this delightful picture book, set in the serene Guyanese countryside, my young Hawaiian friend and I felt we were being taken back to old Hawaii - where a simple burlap bag that held the daily staple, rice, would be made into clothing, shopping bags, and perhaps even hammocks.

The story is comforting and uplifting, showing that even such a simple gift, like the hammock Aja made, leads to multiple uses and much joy for her extended family, even the cats. And I'm sure once the hammock is wo
Mary Ting
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful story tells how a simple burlap bag is transformed into a hammock, handmade by a man named Aja. Each page shows the usage of the hammock and every page refers back to the man who made it. Even though there was only one sentence per page, the author’s descriptive words on how the hammock was used was perfect. The story is in a pattern format and the ending broke away from the pattern, which I enjoyed reading the unexpected. It ended by going back to the beginning. Being a mother an ...more
C.L.
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am a person who believes that children’s books are never given their proper due, especially those for younger children. Writing for children is hard because it is necessary to shrink the vocabulary that can be used, and the visuals of the pictures are very important to keep a child engaged. To write a compelling story to keep young children interested is not easy, but The Rice Bag Hammock by Shaeeza Haniff does just that. Telling the simple story of the differing uses a family finds for a rice ...more
Diane Majeske
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's not easy to keep the attention of children these days. They have their TV, they have their Wii, they have so much to distract them and keep them busy.

But they have very little to calm them. Maybe that's why I like "The Rice Bag Hammock" so much. This simple story tells of a burlap bag sewn into a comfy hammock by the talented Aja and how it serves many uses in the community. The beautiful illustrations and the lyrical words tell the story so well - and so soothingly - the story is almost me
Alima Khan
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful multicultural and amazing skillfully illustrated children's book that travels back to the good times with family, friends and childhood. A refreshing book that is hard to come by. I recommend this book for every its diversity and simple language in the early childhood classroom. It extends the young child's imagination.
Sammy Sutton
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a darling book for the very young reader. The repetition is interesting and appropriate. The illustration is wonderful with exquisite detail, and was a delightful read on my kindle. I would recommend it for any tiny reader.
E.M. Walton
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated story! The repetition of form makes this wonderful for young, developing readers. The pictures are simple yet sweet. It brings you back to a simpler, calmer world and reminds you of what is important in our lives.
Amira Aly
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It is very refreshing in this materialistic world of ours to find such a beautiful illustrated, non pretentious book, that touches the hearts of children.

The illustraions are vivid, yet sweet. The characters are almost alive! And unlike many books in the ethnic genre for children, the characters look modern enough to be your next door neighbors.

The writing is beautiful, fluid and cathy enough to keep a child's attention and interest for the length of the story. It makes a great read-along book
Natasha Larry
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my three year old and she just adored it, as did I. Her favorite part was the repetitive nature of the text and the simplicity in the illustrations. After I read it the fourth time she read it right along with me.

My favorite part, as a history nerd, was reading about the farmers in Guyana. I've not run into a children's book quite like this one, so that's always a good treat.

Well done and recommended for anyone with little ones.
Wayne Kernochan
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My wife got a new Kindle Fire yesterday, and asked me about this book. I've read books on the computer before, but not a picture book. The Kindle does the artist a great service. It's beautiful. The prose was like a song, I wanted to slow down to appreciate the art, but it had a rhythm, so I had to go through a second time. It was well worth it. I intend to read it again when I'm allowed. (probably when the wife falls asleep:)

I look forward to the next book.
A.J.
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: multicultural
This book has very colorful and exquisite illustrations. This is another book that shows how something as simple as a burlap bag can bring so much happiness and meaning to one's life. You could use this to open up a discussion about recycling as well. You could talk about investigating multiple uses in objects.
Tori
The illustrations are vivid, yet sweet. The characters are almost alive! And unlike many books in the ethnic genre for children, the characters look modern enough to be your next door neighbors.
Kira
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: guyana
This is definitely a children's book. Very short but with great drawings. I still remember the rice bag hammock my grandmother made and sitting in it every afternoon with my cousins.
Patrick Spain
Apr 26, 2014
Chiara B
Jan 18, 2013
Ashley M
rated it did not like it
Nov 19, 2017
  • Declan Grows Up: It's Just Not Fair
  • Five Little Ducks
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Tarra & Bella: The Elephant and Dog Who Became Best Friends
  • The Tree Is Older Than You Are: A Bilingual Gathering of Poems & Stories from Mexico
  • Rainy Day Poems
  • The Stone Lions
  • The Wish Trees
  • Uncle Peter's Amazing Chinese Wedding
4820227
Shaeeza Haniff is a Kindergarten Teacher in New York.
First born to the former Chief Education Officer of Guyana and his wife, Shaeeza grew up in the coastal region of tropical Guyana, South America. Her childhood was filled with memories of large family gatherings, dozens of cousins, aunts, uncles and many song filled hammock swings. Aja (northern Indian word for paternal grandfather) was promine
More about Shaeeza Haniff...