Start by marking “The Dread (Fallen Kings Cycle, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dread (Fallen Kings Cycle, #2)

The Dread (Fallen Kings #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  1,588 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
War has come to the Winter Kingdoms. The Dread will rise. Kings will fall.

Summoner-King Tris Drayke takes what remains of his army north for a war he is ill-prepared to fight, as reports from spies confirm Tris's worst fear. A new threat rises across the sea: a dark summoner who intends to make the most of the Winter Kingdoms's weakness.

In Isencroft, Kiara's father is ass
Published February 1st 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Dread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dread

colleen the convivial curmudgeon
One of the reasons that I really liked this series at the out-set was that while it was a standard-as-all-heck sword & sorcery/epic type story, Martin wrote good characters that I liked and genuinely cared about. And even in this last installment, it's the little personal touches of the story between the characters that I enjoy the best.

Unfortunately, they're rather few and far between as the story, overall, focuses on the war being fought on multiple fronts.

One of the downfalls of our chara
Blodeuedd Finland
I like her books for the simple reason that yes they are never awesome, BUT, they are never bad. They are always light and enjoyable. When I pick one up I always know I will enjoy it cos I have with all the rest. And you know, sometimes that is good enough.

Right so shit is going DOWN. Bad peeps from across the seas are coming and they are mad. And honestly, I sometimes say that oh you can read this series without reading that series that come before but with her books...eh, nah, just read all in
Ranting Dragon
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dan

The Dread by Gail Z. Martin, sequel to The Sworn, is the second book in The Fallen Kings Cycle and another example of the recent rise in duologies over trilogies. This cycle tells the continuing story of King Tris Drayke after The Chronicles of the Necromancer series as he struggles to protect his burgeoning kingdom from a threat from across the northern sea.

A fantastic transition from young adult to adult fantasy
I’ve felt all along, while reading Gail Z.
A.M. Werner
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I liked : Top-notch writing. The author has a great style that was vivid and exciting. Immense world building. Plenty of complex characters and knotty story lines.
What I did not like : The magic and supernatural elements were overwhelming. I felt as though anyone who didn't have any magical qualities should have been removed simply by the process of evolution. Ordinary mortals had no real purpose but to be carnage for the magicians, vampires, shape-shifters, ghost blades, the Dread, warring
MissM
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, read-2012
I really like the world created in this series. This volume is mainly war; multiple fronts of the same war. So it reads pretty fast despite being a large book. This is also apparently the last of this portion of the story - the "Fallen Kings Cycle" - and the next book will be part of the next cycle of the series.

There is some frustration with overlapping events occurring but the characters being apart from each other so they can't combine efforts, but it's not enough to fully detract from the st
Mandy
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved these. All of the books in both of the related series. Loved them. Quick reads that walked a fine balance between joyful happy endings and sorrowful loss that avoided the candied feeling of a fairy tale without getting lost in the grim over-reality of the 'Game of Thrones' books I just finished.

I'll definitely be looking for her new series once it's available.
Mark Jordan
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
All in all this book was really well thought out, the storyline had more twists and turns than a coiled snake. Thats exactly what some of the characters in the story were like also(a slippery snake).
Nathan
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good conclusion to the series.
Darin
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi_fantasy
Pretty good. is there supposed to be a third book?
Mirjam
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
When King Donelan of Isencroft is assassinated, his daughter and heir must leave her husband and infant son behind and hurry back home. Being the daughter of one king and the wife of another, Kiara knows all about the sacrifices the Royal family must make for the good of their kingdom. However, that does not make it any easier to leave your loved ones behind in such dangerous times. Her husband, King Martris Drake, has joined his army on the coast of Margolan where they face the dark summoner an ...more
Eloise Kindred
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Compared to Gail Martin's first series, the Fallen Kings Cycle just didn't do it for me. The Dread continues when The Sworn finished as war comes to the Winter Kingdoms and the armies of Margolan, Isencroft and Principality are forced to face their enemy from across the seas but, although there are more action sequences in this book, I felt like I was reading the same battle scenes over and over again. There is still too much dialogue and little in the way of plot. The characters that I loved as ...more
Scott
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a very good read. The best in the bunch.

But yes, it gets tiring when we see repeated characters and their history is explained again and again throughout all of the books in the series.

I liked the introduction of a new story line, and the ending is excellent. But I think some of the characters should have culled a little more. I think it would have made the story a little more interesting.

I am curios, while everything is tied up nicely at the end, it would be kind of cool to see where Ms
Austin
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Having read the other books leading into this one, it helped having that background to finish this series out. Even though the book says #2, it is a continuation of the original Summoner Books, thus should be read in that order. The story itself was written the classic way the others were. I felt there wasn't as much diversity in the battle scenes/monsters involved in the fighting, merely most of the species of things were mentioned, but the only things that had some tangible parts were the "sha ...more
Audrey Terry
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was another solid read for me. As always Martin delivers not only on the battlefield, but in her descriptions of the magic used throughout the story. I loved reading about the Dread and Tris's journey to the Nether. I also found new characters to fall in love with in this installment. I'e always had a soft spot for Kiara and Tris's relationship, but I think that Aidane and Kolin's story is really sweet as well. But not sickly, just really 'aww' worthy (even if she's kind of an emotional dun ...more
Liana
A nice blend of magic and THE DEAAAADDDDD...! Pretty good stuff.

Kiara’s role as a new queen is very interesting. She’s such a strong and dependable woman now, who really shines in this story! Tris’s role has gotten a lot more interesting too, and some of the choices he made made me doubt whether it was a good idea, and hoped everything would turn out for the best. Page 551 was certainly a real shock, when (view spoiler)
Suzanne
Overall, the story was ... okay. That's it. Not great. Not terrible. There were a *lot* of battle scenes, many of which seemed repetitive. The romance was incredibly sappy. However, I'm not a big fan of schmoop in my books - it's rare that I will read anything schmoopy unless the plot and/or character development that surrounds all that sap is well-done - so take that comment with a grain of salt. Much was predictable. Much was unexplained. And the battle between Tris and Scaith was anticlimacti ...more
Benjamin Babeshkin
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is the last of the "Chronicles of the Necromancer" series. It ends the Fallen Kings Cycle storyline. It ties up some loose ends, and opens up the possibility of future books dealing with the children of the main characters. I particularly enjoyed the Aidane and Kolin storyline. Would recommend these series to anyone that enjoys character driven epic fantasy. It also has a lot to offer to Vampire lovers.
Shannon Jones
May 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh. The book was ok. It seemed to drag on a bit and the end was a bit anticlimactic. I think better character development would have been more interesting rather than sheer volume of characters; so many in fact that in the back of the book there is a glossary of characters to help the reader keep track. Overall, didn't seem to be well thought out.
Gene
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Another excellent entry to the series. really enjoyed the continued story of the regular characters, and the addition of the new characters. However, that said, I really feel like the bad guys in htis story were not very well fleshed out. They were basically boogey men, only known by name, until the final battle.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this series, although I think it was a little rushed. There was a lot going on, with a lot of characters in different places; which I think woul dhave benefitted from a longer series - perhaps 3 books instead of two.

It seems that the ending was left open for another series as well, and I'm sure I'll read it when it's published.
Don McDonald
I have enjoyed the books in this world and plan the read future works from the author. The characters are good and enjoyable but there are times when the books seem to wind down very quickly at the end of the story.
Meredith Kaupp
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite fantasy series. I love all of the characters, and I love that the focus stays on them rather than spending too time on what the villains are thinking. I hope there will be more books set in this world.
Andrea
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
As much as I enjoyed the other books in this series this one did fall alittle flat. I love the characters but it seems as though too much was going on and then climaxed very quickly!

Not my favourite from the set but worth a read to finish off and tie up some ends.
Charley
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I thought the book was great. I enjoyed how the story can continue with the children of the characters. While I understand why they had smaller parts, or were entirely missing, I did miss some of the characters. Overall a good read
Rebecca
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Addictive. I think she is a fantastic author and the characters are well written. I especially love Aidane and her relationship with Kolin. Now I have to go get the rest of the books in the Fallen Kings series so I know how everything started!
Jackson
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good wrap up of the story of the current generation of protagonists. Left it wide open to start a new series about their kids. The typical "here comes the bad guy, we better find some new skills/artifacts to deal with it," but still well written and enjoyable.
Craig
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well done Gail Martin. While the book ended a little to fast for me, I still loved it. I gave it 5 stars because I couldn't put it down. No spoilers here, but it could easily have been made into a trilogy.
Patrice
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As with all the other books in the series, this is part of a duology within a longer series and I think concludes Martin's Chronicles of the Necromancer books. I really enjoyed this series and I like how things turned out. I am also looking foward to Martin's next book series.
Ursula
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this down and so bummed when it ended because there isn't another. This story collection with Tris and his friends has become one of my favorites and will definitely reread them again. Wish there was more to come.
Soteris
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gail Z. Martin concludes the story that she started with the Sworn in a spectacular finale in the Dread.
If you're a fan of Gail's work, you wont be disappointed. If you love fantasy, you will not be disappointed.
Ending a series--hard to say goodbye 2 17 Sep 07, 2012 04:07PM
Wives and mothers in fantasy fiction 1 8 Aug 23, 2012 06:16AM
What groups would you recommend I join? 1 6 Aug 17, 2012 07:38AM
  • Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)
  • Heroes' Reward (Hero, #7)
  • Queen's Hunt (River of Souls, #2)
  • Kingdoms of Dust (The Necromancer Chronicles, #3)
  • Frostflower And Thorn (Frostflower, #1)
  • Rapture (Bel Dame Apocrypha #3)
  • Dangerous Waters (The Hadrumal Crisis, #1)
  • Arresting Love (Wild R Farm, #2)
  • Blue Skye (Woodland Village, #1)
  • The Lone Rancher
  • Fiery Edge of Steel (Noon Onyx, #2)
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • The Reluctant Mage (Fisherman's Children, #2)
  • An Elf for All Centuries
  • Fall of Man (Lycan Fallout #2)
  • A Thief in the Night (Ancient Blades, #2)
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
Gail Z. Martin discovered her passion for science fiction, fantasy and ghost stories in elementary school. The first story she wroteat age fivewas about a vampire. Her favorite TV show as a preschooler was Dark Shadows. At age 14, she decided to become a writer. She enjoys attending science fiction/fantasy conventions, Renaissance fairs and living history sites. She is married and has three childr ...more
More about Gail Z. Martin

Fallen Kings (2 books)
  • The Sworn (Fallen Kings Cycle, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Foolishness pours out of an open mouth....
but wisdom sneaks in through the ears....”
13 likes