Start by marking “Invisible Woman: Growing Up Black in Germany” as Want to Read:
Invisible Woman: Growing Up Black in Germany

Invisible Woman: Growing Up Black in Germany

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"In March 1947 I was born. My arrival was celebrated within the inner family circle, quietly and anxiously. When I was a year old, my mother married a white German man; a year later my sister was born. We grew up relatively unburdened during those first five years, just like most children. We felt we were a family, even though I knew that my father was not my real father. ...more
Published October 7th 2000 by Continuum

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Woman

Holly Lyon
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The unique writing style of this autobiography allowed me to connect more closely with the author, and it really stood out to me from other works I have read lately.
Valarie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story of an "occupation baby" from post-WWII Germany, whose African-American heritage caused her mother to send her to an institution for orphans. It is amazing to hear about racism from a European country, especially considering that the causes of WWII should have forced Germans to think twice about the way they treated people who are "different." The memoir is a bit disorganized, and the translation leaves something to be desired in that there are numerous typos and other errors that may c ...more
Branden
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it
read it for research. kind of a clunky translation and all over the place, but its testimony--she clearly didn't set out to write the Year of Magical Thinking--and the results are still super fascinating, especially the stuff about her childhood. her critique of certain radicalisms (e.g. white feminism) are quite articulate and surprisingly piercing in their simplicity. it's a shame that there aren't more memoirs in translation from this demographic.
Aug 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. It was a subject I had never read about before and I feel there was a lot I could have learned, but the book is short, and feels really choppy and incomplete. I started out frustrated because the subject matter was horrifying, but ended up frustrated because of the composition of the book itself.
Heike
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is an incredible story and a piece of German history I never knew about. I met the author in person and she is such an inspiration. Love this book and think it is well written.
Samuel Ochanji
Mar 26, 2009 marked it as to-read
Touching
Bill Novak
Moments of great triumph interspersed with moments of great loathing of the human animal and what the human mind is capable of towards other human beings. An important read for everyone.
Tiffany Rae
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A heart wrenching glimpse into Afro-German life. I'm Thinking this author would be a perfect guest interview on Mixed Race Radio!!!
Jayn Adams
Alan Mills
Mar 09, 2008
Dec 22, 2016
Elizabeth
rated it did not like it
Jun 04, 2015
Aug 22, 2014
Andrew
Jun 18, 2014
Elizabeth Gaffney
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Mackenzie Houck