Start by marking “The Lonesome Gods” as Want to Read:
The Lonesome Gods

The Lonesome Gods

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  5,951 Ratings  ·  457 Reviews

“I am Johannes Verne, and I am not afraid.”

This was the boy’s mantra as he plodded through the desert alone, left to die by his vengeful grandfather. Johannes Verne was soon to be rescued by outlaws, but no one could save him from the lasting memory of his grandfather’s eyes, full of impenetrable hatred. Raised in part by Indians, then befriended by a mysterious woman, Jo

Published February 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published April 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Lonesome Gods, please sign up.

Oleta Blaylock I think that all of Louis L'Amour's book are good. Some are much better than others. His epic stories such as Jubal Sackett, The Lonesome Gods, The…moreI think that all of Louis L'Amour's book are good. Some are much better than others. His epic stories such as Jubal Sackett, The Lonesome Gods, The Walking Drum, To the Far Blue Mountains, Fair Blows the Wind, Bendigo Shafter, etc.; these are the best stories. Mr. L'Amour is a storyteller and as such most of his stories have quality about them that other western writers don't possess. (less)
Eddie I enjoyed it. Other than the love interest being a little forced, which is really a small part of story, all other characters were well rounded.

Lucinda
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was not just a cowboy, shoot ‘em up story, but if it weren’t an assignment, I don’t know if I would have read it. My sister said it was a book for old men! If you have children that you want to grow up with a strong moral character and the best education they can possibly get, this book is a must read. It is a model for an excellent education. Louis L’Amour makes it clear that history taught in public schools is not accurate, pointing out that Christopher Columbus only “discovered” a l ...more
Sara
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-school-year
This was my first Louis L'Amour and I was blown away. I had an unfair prejudice against L'Amour based on tidbits of conversations I had overheard as a child that proved to be totally irrelevant to the writing of the this brilliant author. I wish that I had not leapt to conclusions and in so doing been led astray for so long. I am grateful that this book was recommended reading in my scholarship group because it has given me a whole new world and author to fall in love with.

This book is nothing
Alexis
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
I read this book as it was part of the follow-on "assignments" included as part of the epilogue in "A Thomas Jefferson Education." I never would have selected it on my own. It was exceptional, and the ties to "A Thomas Jefferson..." were apparent. An entertaining read, full of wonderful "gems" of wisdom.

The protagonist is well developed, perhaps over developed. The evil that pursues him is absolutely abomiable but also quite reflective of contemporary selfishness and materialism. I would have lo
Natalie
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love a good fight-for-life western
I read The Lonesome Gods because it was recommended in A Thomas Jefferson Education as one of five books to start one’s classic library. The reviews claimed it was Louis L’Amour’s biggest and most important historical novel. That may be true, but it didn’t measure up to the level of classic literature.

The coming-to-manhood of Johannes Verne is reflected in the story’s setting: the mid 1840s, as Los Angeles grows from a sleepy Mexican town to a major West Coast trading center. Young Verne crosse
Jim
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2fiction, western, 1paper
This is a long book for L'Amour. He spends some time getting philosophical - a boy on his own living in the desert, communing with nature, learning & such. There's a good look at early Los Angeles - well, it sounded good to me. I can't vouch for actual historical accuracy, though. It was interesting, not just a shoot 'em up.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jeanette by: Mom
Take a jaunt through mid-19th-century Southern California with Louis L'Amour. He earned all five stars from this California girl for historical and geographical research and accuracy. The story follows orphan Johannes Verne from age seven through early manhood. He grows up with the territory, and always has to watch his backside because his wealthy Californio grandfather wants him dead. But he is Johannes Verne, and he is not afraid.

There are some minor plot flaws, and the ending felt a little
Deanna
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My children
Recommended to Deanna by: My TJed Friends
Reread 10/2016: still love these books!! These words are magic for any brokenness I have. ❤

Ahhh! I love Louis L'Amour books. I'm glad I had to reread this one again for a book club. It is one of my favorites.

There are many reasons that I enjoy his books. In this book I was drawn into the main characters and I feel their feelings. I feel that they are developed. I understand them...

I also love that the main character is always very well read. In every L'Amour books there's a list of at least 10 g
Margaret
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was my first Louis L'Amour and I loved it! Especially fun for me was that it was set in L.A. and Palm Springs. I will definitely be reading more of Mr. L'Amour's books in the future. Thanks to my friend, Casey Nicollelo, for strongly recommending that I check out Louis L'Amour!
Erin
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was my first foray into "The cowboy/adventure" novel. My husband had read something else by him and said it was just "pulp", but I had been recommended this book on lists of "classics". This book has a story which is really intriguing, but it feels as though the author had a specific person in mind when he began this book, someone he was trying to encourage to get an education or at least figure out what they were going to do with their life. Maybe it was intended for a son, nephew or high ...more
Joan
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Picked this up in an airport on the way to a Florida weekend and polished it off by the end. It's my fantasy world, the 1850s American West. And no one describes it better than...Zane Grey....and Louis L'Amour. Adventure, risk, nature, the unknown, courage, good and evil, heroism, it's all there. Listen to this:
"Long since, I had learned that one needs moments of quiet, moments of stillness, for both the inner and outer man, a moment of contemplation or even simple emptiness when the stress coul
  • Laddie: A True Blue Story
  • A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders for the Twenty-first Century
  • Father and I were Ranchers (Little Britches #1)
  • Desert Gold
  • The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • The Spiritual Lives of the Great Composers
  • The Real Thomas Jefferson: The True Story of America's Philosopher of Freedom
  • The Freedom Factor
  • Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians, Volume 1
  • The Real George Washington
  • Buffalo Palace
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
“When a man is one of a kind, he will be lonely wherever he is.” 83 likes
“. . . What do you wish to be? What would you like to become?”

I did not know, and I told her so, but the question worried me. Should I know?

“There is time,” she said, “but the sooner you know, the sooner you can plan. To have a goal is the important thing, and to work toward it. Then, if you decide you wish to do something different, you will at least have been moving, you will have been going somewhere, you will have been learning.”
40 likes