Start by marking “Drawn from New England: Tasha Tudor, A Portrait in Words and Pictures” as Want to Read:
Drawn from New England: Tasha Tudor, A Portrait in Words and Pictures

Drawn from New England: Tasha Tudor, A Portrait in Words and Pictures

Bethany Tudor relates the story of her mother's life through a smooth-flowing narrative, old and contemporary photographs and samples of the artist's work.
Published September 18th 1981 by Philomel (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Drawn from New England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawn from New England

Start your review of Drawn from New England: Tasha Tudor, A Portrait in Words and Pictures
Melinda
This is a lovely book written by Bethany Tudor, the oldest daughter of Tasha Tudor, about her mother. It is rich in photographs and paintings and stories. We know Tasha Tudor from her intricate and beautiful paintings, her simple children's books, and also her emphasis on living in a way that would be described as "old-fashioned". Our family has many of her books, and I have read several books lately about the many artisan level skills that Tasha Tudor has taught herself. She is worth reading ...more
Juli Anna
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A lovely balance of photos, illustrations, etc., but the text (written by Tudor's daughter) is amateurish and juvenile. For Tudor lovers, though, the information is fascinating.
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
There is a LOT of odd stuff going on in this book. I need to find a rigorous bio of Tasha Tudor!
Trudy
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting look into the early life of Tasha Tudor, as well as after he move to Vermont. Many great photographs, and Tasha art, as well. Written by Tasha's daughter, this book is a must for the Tasha fan, for sure!!
Laura Hodgins
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting quick read on Tasha Tudor. That woman had so much energy and talent. Chopping wood, cooking with a wood stove, sewing, weaving, painting, gardening...
Jill
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A small biography of Tasha Tudor by her daughter, Bethany. Personal details are glossed over in favor of focusing on Tasha's dedication to farm living, her children, and her multitude of interests including art. Included are many family photos and early illustration examples.

In the beginning I was ready to set out to create a Tasha Tudor style life and home but by the end I was exhausted from all the woman does. For years she rand a farm and home with no modern conveniences. Their home was
Devon
If it weren't for the librarian working today, I might never have learned about Tasha Tudor. Her industrious rural life wasn't something thrown upon her; she sought and cherished both the work and play. Her children seemed to have grown up quite well, though there isn't much talk about her father. Tasha is one of those free spirits that I would have loved to have met; though she allows her children much freedom of expression and adventure, she also taught them practical skills and the value of ...more
Clark
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tasha Tudor's husband is only mentioned a couple of times in the book and that surprised me. I was hoping for more about her life but this was written by her daughter. The life they led just seems so peaceful and perfect. I enjoyed the photographs that backed up what was written. Looks like many of her books that she wrote were just scenes out of the wonderful life as a family. Yes, I enjoyed this book.
Katherine
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Katherine by: Teal
A wonderful pictorial memoir about Tasha Tudor and her remarkable creativity, by her daughter, Bethany. Lots of personal photographs of her life and examples of her charming work. Not only is this a delightful book, it's an inspiring look at how one woman turned her creative interests and talents into a unique way of living that was full of love & beauty.
Melissa Shreve
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you like Tasha Tudor a popular illustrator-artist. You will enjoy reading about her. Written by her daughter. What a neat lady....I always wished that I could visit her in her surroundings and listen to all her stories....She worked a busy life..enjoying life at the same time...A hard worker. A naturalist!!
JennLynn
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A loving look at the life and work of beloved illustrator Tasha Tudor. The brief text gives a basic biography as well as insights into Tasha's philosophies and what it was like growing up as her child (the book is written by daughter Bethany). Lavishly illustrated with family photos and samples of Tasha's work. A beautiful volume to read and reread; I wish it had been twice as long.
Vikki
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The daughter of Tasha Tudor writes this biography of the artist and her mother, Tasha. She tells what it was like growing up with Tasha. It makes me think this is what it would be like growing up with my good friend and artist Meredith Cope.
Jen
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love the art of Tasha Tudor, and I love the life she lived, plain and simple. This book is by her oldest daughter who talks about growing up with Tasha as a mother, and what a wonderful mother she was. Included are many pictures of Tasha's many many pets, and the story of her first dairy cow.
Joni Patterson
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
While remaining impersonal (there's hardly anything mentioned about her marriages) this is still a fascinating read about a woman of many old-fashioned fancies. The way she lived a life of hard work, creativity and delighting in the simple pleasures is inspiring.
Suzi
Jul 26, 2018
Lisa
Mar 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions and fix title information 2 14 Jul 20, 2013 07:17PM

• The Private World of Tasha Tudor
  • Take Joy
  • Tasha Tudor's Garden
  • Tasha Tudor's Heirloom Crafts
  • Forever Christmas
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • The Art of Tasha Tudor
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
  • Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)
  • Pumpkin Moonshine
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #2)
  • A Quilt for Christmas