Start by marking “Queen Elizabeth I: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Queen Elizabeth I: A Biography

Queen Elizabeth I: A Biography (Makers of History #8)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1849)

To ask other readers questions about Queen Elizabeth I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen Elizabeth I

Steven Walle
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Queen Elizabeth is a very well researched book on the life and times of Queen Elizabeth. The author did painstaking research to get it right. He does a stupendous job at describing the area in which she lived as well as the costomes of the people which shaped her. I would recommend all books by this author.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Pam
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book because I saw an old movie last weekend that seemed to portray Queen Elizabeth in a positive way. I wanted to see if I could come to my own conclusions. This is an ebook I am reading on my kindle and it was free. So far I've found it interesting enough to hold my attention and seems to have a very balanced way of explaining her life.
Amle
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to those interested in the rule and lifespan of one of the greatest English monarchs.
Janine Zachariae
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LibriVox.
It was a good reading.
It is about the life oft Queen Elizabeth, daughter of King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn.
It was really interesting and totally worth to read / listen.
But it is not just about Queen Elizabeth I, but also about her fathers life - with his wives and trouble. So far, so good.
Max
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brief but excellent and engaging account of the life and character of the most notable english queen that ever existed. Note that this is not the most extensive biography of Elizabeth I, but very useful as a starting point if you're interested in this period of history.
Jennifer Ochoa
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
#1 of 22 in my personal (and rather random) challenge to read Abbot's Makers of History series. The series is most famously known for influencing Abraham Lincoln.

Jacob Abbot's historical biographies were famously read by Lincoln, who credited them for all his understanding of historical figures of power. I decided to start with his biography of Elizabeth I, the subject I felt I knew most about already. Despite being published over 100 years ago, it was a fresh read, engaging.

A couple things we
M
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written more than 100 years ago and expectedly the author is not free from gender bias...nevertheless one can read it to get a general historical perspective of england during Elizabeth's era..Elizabeth maynot touch your soft corners but there is a grudging admiration and respect for her...she was able to rule england bcoz of her cautious approach , shrewdness and intelligence...suffered a lot in her early years and lead a single life owning to her ambitions to rule...It was during ...more
Shahda Al Taie
This book is part of the series, by the same author, titled "Makers of History". I firs began to develop an interest in Queen Elizabeth after watching the TV drama "Reign". She is portrayed as a clever Queen who has her country's best interests at heart. I can't decide who I like best, her or her cousin Queen Mary. However, there is no doubt as to which of the two was the most successful monarch. I enjoyed the book and it made me interested in reading an account of her father's life and maybe ev ...more
Scott Harris
Another in the Abbott series of short histories of major figures, this book documents the life of Queen Elizabeth as well as her father and his myriad of family. With the recent surge of interest in Elizabeth, including countless books and movies, the gaps in this volume are more evident to modern readers than others in the collection. It is still however consistent with his vision of having widely accessible and easy to read history books.
Yaaresse

Standard "I read this, but damned if I can remember exactly when or why" disclaimer:
My rating is based on my memory of how much or little I enjoyed the book at that time. In some cases, "at that time" might mean before most Goodreads users were born. OTOH, it could mean a couple years ago.

Your mileage may vary. Heck, given how all our tastes change over the years and the fickle nature of memory, my own mileage might vary if I re-read it today.
Angela Joyce
I had to remind myself that this was written over one hundred years ago-- writing styles have changed. It's no longer fashionable, in historical biography, to tell the reader how to feel or think, or to say someone did something or felt something because she was a woman. Those little annoyances aside, it's a decent, concise history of a complex queen.
Debi Cates
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librivox
Another Librivox recording to listen to while I knitted, this one done by a variety of all female readers. I believe this short history of Elizabeth was written as part of a young adult history series by Jacob Abbott, but nonetheless did not shy away from most of the political complications, sexual intrigues, and violence. Not high literature, but well-written and lively. Enjoyed it!
Savina
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this as an audiobook on All You Can Books.com.
I've had the pleasure of listening to other historical works by Abbott and I wasn't disappointed.
To learn more about the Virgin Queen through Abbotts eyes was fascinating because he keeps his opinion and factual points unbiased, disputing and reflecting from both sides of her story that paint her as a good Queen and a bitter enemy.
Deborah
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kept in mind that this was a book geared more for YOUTH or someone who was looking for an OVERVIEW of this period of history. I didn't expect to get an IN-DEPTH history. It is a wonderful "beginners" book for a bit of history during Queen Elizabeth's reign. It was enough to motivate someone to do more research into her life and this period of history.
Heather Domin
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Just as biased as the Mary QoS biography but less enjoyable. I'd rather read someone gush over their historical crush than the opposite - I can only take so much about how "manly" Elizabeth was (ew, gross, an aggressive woman!) before I get bored.
Victoria
Although this book is well-researched, clear and purposeful, it lacks depth. It was like reading a history book; there was little feeling in it. The author failed to create an exciting plot.
Meg
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I just finished watching The Tudors on television and wanted to find out what happened next. It was very informative.
Rick Davis
A balanced and engaging biography, like all of the Abbott histories.
Deborah Pommer
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I listened to the audiobook edition.
Selena
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much history. Very interesting facts I was not aware of. I must read more about Elizabeth.
Kerestel
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A well written educational look into Queen Elizabeths life.
Bilhá Calderón
I see i'm not the only one who listened to this in librivox.
Michael Jones
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio
I do agree with the other reviewers that it lacks depth, but it is a really good starting point for understanding Elizabeth and her times.
Drayton Alan
I enjoyed this book seemed well put together.
Cindy
I enjoyed learning more about her life.
Rebecca
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-classics
Abbott seems a bit angry that Elizabeth was a moody spoilt queen but does give a decent and fair handed account of her queenship.
Irene Lazlo
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No soy experta en historia pero me ha gustado la manera en que se contaban los hechos, muy fácil de entender pero sin novelar ni escatimar en lo puramente histórico. Es exactamente lo que buscaba.
Amy Griffith
Good, readable biography about Queen Elizabeth.
Susan
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a bit hard to read with all of the typos, sometimes was like playing hangman, trying to fill in the blanks, but the book was good. Very informative and interesting.
Betty
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Consider me underwhelmed by Elizabeth I after reading this biography. The book itself was very well written, but I was rather bored by the life of Elizabeth I.
Top places of Queen Elizabeth II's Life 1 1 Oct 12, 2017 12:54AM
  • 1415: Henry V's Year Of Glory
  • Raquela
  • Blood Will Tell: A Medical Explanation of the Tyranny of Henry VIII
  • The Queen's Agent: Francis Walsingham at the Court of Elizabeth I
  • The Lion of Justice (Norman Trilogy, #2)
  • Geronimo: My Life
  • 1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry
  • The Wives of Henry the Eighth and the Parts They Played in History
  • The Pirate Wars
  • A Garden of Eden in Hell: The Life of Alice Herz-Sommer
Abbott was born at Hallowell, Maine to Jacob and Betsey Abbott. He graduated from Bowdoin College in 1820; studied at Andover Theological Seminary in 1821, 1822, and 1824; was tutor in 1824-1825, and from 1825 to 1829 was professor of mathematics and natural philosophy at Amherst College; was licensed to preach by the Hampshire Association in 1826; founded the Mount Vernon School for Young Ladies ...more
More about Jacob Abbott...

Makers of History (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Charles I (Makers of History, #1)
  • Mary Queen of Scots (Makers of History, #2)
  • Alexander the Great (Makers of History, #3)
  • History of Julius Caesar (Makers of History, #4)
  • Hannibal (Makers of History, #5)
  • History of William the Conqueror (Makers of History, #6)
  • History of King Charles II of England (Makers of History, #7)
  • King Alfred of England (Makers of History, #9)
  • Xerxes