Start by marking “Soldier of the Legion” as Want to Read:

Soldier of the Legion

(Soldier of the Legion #1)

A squad of young Outworlder troopers from the ConFree Legion face a merciless, all-powerful alien enemy on a mysterious world in the Outvac frontier. Their mission is soon clear - victory or death. Failure means extinction for their species.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Soldier of the Legion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldier of the Legion

Start your review of Soldier of the Legion
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Soldier of the Legion

Okay, somebody spent a little too much time playing Mech-Warrior, huh? Go War Hammer Gaming!

Even though Heinlein has clearly influenced this author, there are also other influences at work. Probably some Harry Harrison, a little Asimov, and Ray Bradbury, mixed with Japanese Anime', Marvel Comics. I can almost hear the theme song to Starblazers, that most respectable of Japanese Spaghetti Anime' ... sing along with me...

We're off in outer space
Protecting mother earth
To save
Mike (the Paladin)
If you've read many of my reviews you know I like a good action book. You may also know I like a good military science fiction. I had high hopes for this one I really wanted to like it. I'm sorry that I can't say I did. I got to a point where I just wanted it to be over.

This one opened in a fairly promising way. It was an action scene and even though the adversary was not as advanced as the Legion troops the combat and so on was/were promising. The Soldiers of the Legion put me in mind (slightly
Sokufamily
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very entertaining far-future, war-based (obviously) sci-fi book, based on the events and actions of a squad of legion troops. Other than a good strong recommendation, the only other thing I would say is that as one chapter ends and another begins, sometimes the flow feels a bit off. That's what a new chapter is for, I guess. Maybe I should be more specific.

The romantic interest of the main character, Thinker, is at times at the forefront of his thoughts, and at others, it's like he's
Jay Javier
Marshall S. Thomas' Soldier of the Legion is the first book of a six part series that follows young Legion trooper Thinker's adventures in the ConFree Legion. He and his squad mates are kept young, strong and seemingly immortal through advanced biotechnology. As a fighting force, they must fight to survive horrific battles against a corrupt, slave-raiding empire as well as relentless alien enemies. Fast and furious military science fiction without the overwhelming angst of the 40k universe!

Sarah Smithers
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook and it was done like a radio show! bunch of different voices and sound effects! It was a real hoot.
Terry Sperling
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanted to add to my review the author explains how our main goal as people should be focused on protecting the future. Women and children, then men. He said it a lot better.
Luci Ann Keenagh
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book!!! It is now definitely a favourite and I am certainly going to read the next one. It is wonderfully well written, I felt like I was there with these guys. It took me a while to get used to all the terminology, like I had literally been dropped into the Legion, with everything going on around me! The characters are great, I really felt for them and liked them all. Their world is really well imagined and all felt very real and immediate to me, quite a roller coaster r ...more
Patrick
Jun 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patrick by: Amazon
Skip it. Read "old Man's War", Doom Star Series, "Fallen Dragon", or "Star Strike" if you need to get your Military Fiction itch scratched.
The book jumps into combat straight away, with rifles that dont miss, armor with AI, and a new brand name for everything. I dont think an HE round is going to change its name - even when its the mother of all HE and a TAC nuke you can see and then feel wash over your suit is going to be a problem. If the suit is making sure the rounds connect and has error f
Bette Kester
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite unexpectedly - but happily- by the third chapter of this book: I was hooked. By the last third of the book, I realized that the book is written in several "layers." It's an incredibly "rich" book that will surely appeal to casual readers who want a great plot with plenty of action and plenty of intrigue, as well as to those who are intrigued with the subtle "undercurrents" that more careful and thoughtful read will reveal. It definitely left me eager to find the next one and start reading ...more
Greg
If you like Warhammer 40K Space Marine books (i.e. bad ass space solders, that live, breath, think, die as a unit, in battle and live forever [until killed]). The bad guys are human and no where near as evil as Chaos, but they are pretty bad.

This books feels a little like we're joining the story in the middle, that there was a book before this (but as far as I could tell, this is currently #1 in the series).

If you like squad scoped battes and stories, hopeless odds and "good guys" kicking ass a
Jeff
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I read any military SF, but this was the right one to jump back in with. The author has a real gift for writing fast-paced action scenes, and moves the plot along at such break-neck speed that you are almost startled when you reach the end.

A very well written tale.
Brian
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the entire Legion series. A military SF story/series but with fine character development. The only problem is that the series went on a little longer that it should have. By the last book or two the stories were getting a little too Heinlein like. That might be Ok for some but not so much for me.
Bob
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't so sure about this book at the beginning due to it's confusing (at the time) vocabulary, but once I looked at the glossary, it made more sense. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes science fiction.
William  Knight
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
It's a good time killer.

It's very alright. Nothing groundbreaking. Simplistic, protagonist never feels imperiled. Characters are forgettable, setting itself is intriguing. Curious about 40k inspiration levels, with having weapons that are essentially bolters, and psykers.
Graeme Findlay
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
A decent story. Worth reading. Lots of action and a sideline of romance. Too heavy on the jargon and it feels like you're dropped in part of the way through the story.
Jordan favela
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book if you like sci-fi, adventure, the military, and a little romance THEN READ THIS BOOK
Michael
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Very good book. Fast paced and holds your interest.
Drew
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It got a bit difficult to follow at times, but I still think that overall it merits 3.5 stars. I will read the series and see how it goes.
Tyson
May 07, 2014
Jamie Cooper
Jan 03, 2013
Comissar
rated it did not like it
Jul 08, 2011
Jul 19, 2011
MP3 CD of Soldier of the Legion 2 6 Apr 04, 2015 11:07PM
Soldier of the Legion 1 12 Feb 13, 2009 09:10AM
Soldier of the Legion CD Audio Book 1 6 Jan 25, 2009 06:48PM

• Archangel Rising (Archangel One, #2)
  • The Passage (The Passage, #1)
  • The City of Mirrors (The Passage, #3)
  • The Twelve (The Passage, #2)
  • On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
  • The Retreat #5: Crucible
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
  • Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington, #8)
  • Uncompromising Honor (Honor Harrington, #14)
My name is Marshall S. Thomas and I am the author of the six-part Soldier of the Legion science fiction series, set in the far future, and also a second series, Prophet of ConFree. I recently completed writing the sixth book in the second series which will be published in a few months.

I love writing and write for the sheer joy of it. I was turned on to science fiction in the late '50s as a teenage

Soldier of the Legion (6 books)
  • March of the Legion (Soldier Book 2)
  • Slave of the Legion (Soldier of the Legion #3)
  • Secret of the Legion (Soldier Book 4)
  • Cross of the Legion (Soldier Book 5)
  • Curse of the Legion (Soldier Book 6)

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...