Start by marking “Eragon (Inheritance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eragon (Inheritance, #1)

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,214,071 Ratings  ·  19,338 Reviews
Fifteen-year-old Eragon believes that he is merely a poor farm boy--until his destiny as a Dragon Rider is revealed. Gifted with only an ancient sword, a loyal dragon, and sage advice from an old storyteller, Eragon is soon swept into a dangerous tapestry of magic, glory, and power. Now his choices could save--or destroy--the Empire.
Audio CD
Published October 24th 2006 by Listening Library (first published June 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Eragon, please sign up.
Sashia I am actually really glad you asked this question Damian, because it is one I have wondered for a long time. I have read countless posts on how…moreI am actually really glad you asked this question Damian, because it is one I have wondered for a long time. I have read countless posts on how horrible it was, but most of the time there is no concrete reason given. Personally, I think anytime there is something is largely popular (harry potter, the hunger games, frozen, etc.-the writer of this post is not endorsing any of these examples) there is going to be a group screaming about terrible, boring, and stereotypical it was.
Also, many have probably seen the movie and that spoiled it for them. And maybe some are just a little jealous that a 16 year old can write better than they will ever be able to.
The book has "stereotypical fantasy characters" in that it has elves, dwarves, and dragons. I really don't see that as a problem. I like elves, dwarves, and dragons, and I don't think there are enough fantasy books written that include them. I don't think anyone would complain that a sci-fi book was horrible because it had the "stereotypical" aliens in it.
Also other people have compared it to star wars for some reason, but that argument breaks down once you try to compare some of the characters, or predict one or other of the plot lines from how it turned out in the other one. The only part that is reminiscent of star wars is where Eragon is told part of his family tree. And personally, I think Paolini pulled "I am your father" play to make it more believable and accepted by the audience, so the twist that finally comes would be more of a shocker.
Seriously, to really hate this series you must either not like traditional fantasy at all, or not have very good intuition to see all the questions and points, Paolini weaves through his writing.
P.S.-As for "having a limited experience with literature" I read the Anne of Green Gables series when I was seven and was reading several works of Dickens, To Kill A Mockingbird, and The Diary of Anne Frank when I was ten.
P.S.S.-Sorry this post was extremely long.(less)
A'len No, it doesn't pick up. If anything it just gets more excruciating to read. Of course, if you really want to know how it ends then I have a good…moreNo, it doesn't pick up. If anything it just gets more excruciating to read. Of course, if you really want to know how it ends then I have a good alternative to slogging through the book itself; watch Star Wars, Episode IV.(less)

J.Elle
Jul 26, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
I cannot adequately express my complete and utter loathing for this book. I was working at a library during the time that this book was being published and had access to a galley of the novel. I did finish it, but only so I could know (entirely how much) Christopher Paolini (the supposed 16-year-old author-genius) had plagiarized J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of The Rings" trilogy. If you are not familiar with the Inheritance books, allow me to inform you:

Lord of the Rings: Trilogy
Eragon: Trilogy
Lord o
J.G. Keely
May 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Brownbetty
Aug 12, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one I liked
Two or three years ago, everywhere I went there was some display attempting to sell me Eragon, by Christopher Paolini. It was obviously a bad book without opening the cover: the back cover carries a quote from the book, and an endorsement by Anne McCaffrey, and I'm pretty sure I could get that woman to supply a blurb for a double mint wrapper to the effect of "I couldn't put it down! An author ... to watch for!" The quote is "Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the ...more
Nataliya
May 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one
Here is a short list of things I find more enjoyable than reading Eragon:

Why does this book read like it was written by a fantasy-obsessed 15-year-old? Oh, nevermind... Is THAT why is has EVERY single one moth-eaten fantasy cliché???
It's like Paolini actually, in all seriousness, used Diana Wynne Jones' humorous The Tough Guide to Fantasyland as a real technical manual on how to create the Eragon universe. And the proud parents of a budding "new Tolkien", instead of proudly allowing him to read
Faith
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone...especially LOTR fans
Shelves: alreadyread
I LOVE the Inheritance books. I had never heard of Christopher Paolini before, and was walking through Barnes and Noble when I saw this book on the end display. What caught my eye was the dragon on the front cover (I love dragons, and my "artistic eye" was captivated by the artwork). This is a great fiction/adventure/fantasy novel. Anyone who is a Lord of the Rings would truly have an appreciation for this book. I was hooked from the moment I picked up this book and began reading. The story begi ...more
M. Weaver
May 07, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8 year olds
Shelves: worst-books
EDIT: Re-wrote/fixed up this review on 8/21/2012 to reflect my changes as a critiquer/reviewer

Right so. I'll just say it: I hate Paolini's work. To my very core. I don't really think it's so much the "he stole from Tolkien/Lucas/Gandhi/God/my dog..," though whoever may say this has a point. Even though he blatantly took ideas from pioneers in their respective fields, that isn't what bothers me the most.

When I was fourteen, I admired him out of mere jealously. I was absolutely green with envy tha
Katerina
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, fae
Before we get started
-Please,please do not judge a book by its movie.
-I read Eragon for the first time when I was 15 years old.I've re-read it 5 times since (I didn't own many books back then so after I took advantage of my neighbor's and my cousin's library,I kept re-reading my poor collection) and every time I loved it just the same,because it was the book that introduced me to the world of fantasy.

The story
When I got this beauty in my hands,I thought that Eragon was the dragon (laugh all
Ben Alderson
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
seriously, Ben. Why have you not read this sooner. This beast has been sat on your TBR pile for years. What is wrong with you? Was little Ben intimidated by the size?

I FINALLY READ THIS BOOK
and
breath

I honestly think this is one of the best fantasy YA stories. Such a classic!

ERAGON YOU ARE MIGHTY FINEEEEEEE
Petrik
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginner to fantasy books
Shelves: owned-physical
Age of the readers and how well acquainted they are with the high fantasy genre seriously need to be considered here.

I don’t think I need to say a lot on my review on this, Eragon is a very popular book and it’s been quite mixed received, to say the least. The majority of love and dislike usually depends on when did you read the book for the first time? If you were still a child or teenager, and haven’t read a lot or any high fantasy books yet, you’ll probably love this. Unfortunately, I’m readi
Julio Genao
Oct 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
appalling.

description

as if written by an enthusiastic but tragically over-encouraged teenager with insufferably supportive parents who somehow happen to be well-connected in the publishing indus—wait.

...oh.

carry on, then.
Swankivy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A short (and somewhat sarcastic) summary: Main character = Eragon, mysteeeeerious boy-child left with his aunt and uncle by wandering mother, father unknown. Boy finds mysteeeeerious stone. Turns out to be dragon egg. Boy raises dragon and bonds with it strongly. Bad guys come and destroy boy's house and kill his uncle. Boy swears revenge. Boy's secret dragon is discovered by mysteeeerious storyteller who turns out to be master swordsman and random magic user. The hunt for the bad guys begins, a ...more
Miranda Reads
description
I could read this one a hundred times and love it just the same.

This was my middle school book series. I read it over and over and over (and, as you may have guessed, over and over...).

It had dragons! And elves and magic and swordplay and not a love triangle in sight.

Even rereading it as an adult, I just...cannot separate all those happy memories So keep in mind, my review might be is more than a bit biased.

Eragon, a farmboy, stumbles upon a suspicious blue stone while hunting in the Spin
Cait • A Page with a View
I hadn't read this in a super long time, so it was fun to come back to. This is still one of my favorite YA fantasy series! The writing is a bit clunky at times, but then I remember that the author was only a teenager when he wrote this and everything becomes straight up impressive.

Yes, there are obvious Tolkien influences (Aragorn Eragon, Arwen Arya the elf, the urgal/uruk similarities, and a lot of other names)... but I kind of like it when authors can create entirely new worlds that are inspi
James Trevino
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragons and elves and dragons!

A lot of people faulted Paolini for trying to copy Tolkien, but the truth is, their styles are nothing alike. Tolkien is much more poetic and his writing more archaic.

Paolini is a much more straightforward fantasy guy. And that is not a bad thing. I really enjoyed this book and the series overall ranks as one of my all time favorites! Why? Because it is so well written! Seriously now, the descriptions and characters and everything! And it is fascinating really... w
Orient
A wonderful rec from my GR friend, Anish :) Thank you! :)

Also a super great BR with Sweet Pinky , Lovely Saphy's Trainer and Gentleman Grumpy Cat :)

I saw the movie and loved it, but when I heard about the book recently, I was curious together with a slight feeling of worry as reading the book after watching the movie adaption works quite bad for me. But I wasn't disappointed, this book is wonderful!

RL keeps messing up with me, so, sorry in advance for a short review. This wonderful books is wo
Archgallo
Jul 15, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Probably the most expensive fanfiction I've ever read. I'm not sure what possessed the publishing company to publish this book (although I heard that Christopher Paolini was self-published at first). I also wrote a book when I was 16 (much like Paolini) and the quality was pretty much the same as Eragon, that is to say, awful. Eragon (the character) is a total Mary Sue/Gary Stu: he learns to fight with a sword in just a few weeks, his past is angsty, he's the first dragon rider for centuries, ...more
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy
“The greatest enemy is one that has nothing to lose.”

It's been a while. Many years have gone by since I read this as a young teenager/old child. The only problem is that I have never read the fourth and last part of this series. At the time of its release, I had already forgotten what had happened in books 1 - 3. Since then I have not been able to find the time and motivation to reread them. I finally decided to start listening to the audiobooks to freshen up my memories.

I believe that the age
Darth J
September 2015 Updated Review

Although written by a homeschooled teenager (and it definitely shows, especially in the sequels), I was entertained by this novel. I had seen the movie first which makes it look like the world was cobbled together while trying to bridge the gap between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, and was turned off to reading the novels. After being told by a cousin of mine that the book was next to nothing like the movie, I tried it out and fortunately found the statement to be
Jeff
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy guacamole.
A great read.
Definitely try it. :)
Brent
Mar 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dragon lovers and fighters
i learned that this book kicks butt i mean common ppl you see this explosion in a forest gather up the guts to go see what it was and its a hue piece of saphire (or is it?) well then eragon goes around trying to sell it because his family is poor but know one wants it because it came out of the spine! (for those that dont know what te spine is its a collection of mountians only the brave go in but only the lucky come out) i seen the movie and i literally wanted to send a P.O. email to him i swea ...more
Fables&Wren
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

You know that saying “I’ll wait till the movie comes out?” Don’t.

So I am an aspiring author. Let me shed some light for those who don’t understand this series is a unique series.

Imitation: a method of writing instruction that bas dropped off the map, fallen through the floor, and disappeared from the face of the earth as far as modern education is concerned. And yet imitation is arguably (according to Aristotle, Cicero, and numerous other authorities) the most effective rhetor
Cy
Jan 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My enemies.
This book spells 'trite' excellently. Unfortunately, that's the best quality it possesses.

This idea has been overworked many times before, and, if I may borrow a baking metaphor, overworked dough makes for flat product. Not only does he steal from successful greats, but ignores completely that the reason why they were great would be because of their ingenuity with GOING TO THE SOURCE and making it their own from there. The book takes information from mouths others, throws it together into a cong
Gabriella
I tried writing a novel when I was fifteen, too; but the difference between me and Paolini is I had the decency to chuck it when I realized how terrible it was. I’m not going to list a host of authours he ‘borrowed’ from — many people just have different opinions where exactly he borrowed from so I don’t want to get into it. It’s just… I think he had potential; descriptively, there were some parts of Eragon that were very well-written. But for the rest, he tried too hard and he tried too early. ...more
Kristin
Jun 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my former roommates is addicted to Young Adult fantasy books, and got me hooked right along with her. She had read the first two books in this series right when they first came out, and urged me to read them before seeing the movie (which, I later found out, was awful). So I did. Despite the criticism that Paolini's books get, I found I really, really enjoyed Eragon. He pulls a Tolkien and creates his own world, complete with different races, cultures, and languages, which is no easy task ...more
Nancy
Jun 22, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Eragon has got to be one of the most tedious books I have ever read. I normally love fantasy (my love for Harry Potter is an indication of this) but Eragon, I could not get through. It was excruciatingly long for such a simple journey. He chances upon all things magical and makes such a big commotion of things. Everything is supposedly mysterious. But it is actually more annoying than mysterious. I love adventure, but his journey was slow paced and took f o r e v e r to get through.

The writing
Ahmad Sharabiani
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle #1), Christopher Paolini
عنوانها: اراگون؛ اروگان؛؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: فوریه سال 2007 میلادی
عنوان: اراگون؛ نویسنده: کریستوفر پائولینی؛ مترجم: محمد نوراللهی؛ تهران، بهنام، لیوسا، 1385؛ در 704 ص؛ شابک: 9645668387؛ چاپ دوم 1387؛ چاپ چهارم 1392؛ شابک 9789645668387؛
کتاب اروگان با عنوان اراگون با ترجمه مهگونه قهرمان نیز چاپ شده است
اروگان یا اراگون عنوان نخستین کتاب از رمان فانتزی و چهارگانه وراثت نوشته کریستوفر پائولینی است. دوران اژدهاسواران به سرآمده و جهان به لطف پادش
Ahmad Sharabiani
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle #1), Christopher Paolini
Eragon is the first novel in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. After writing the first draft for a year, Paolini spent a second year rewriting and fleshing out the story and characters. His parents saw the final manuscript and in 2001 decided to self-publish Eragon; Paolini spent a year traveling around the United States promoting the novel. By chance, the book was discovered by Carl Hiaasen, who got it re-published by Alfred A.
Chris Horsefield
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Harry Potter books, my interest in children's literature was somewhat rekindled. I had read a lot of praises for Eragon and when I saw it on offer at half price at the local bookshop near I work, I did not hesitate to pick up a copy.
Eragon is the first in a planned trilogy. Although Paolini was merely 14 years old when he started writing the book, his inexperience does not show for the most part. The writing style could do with some tightening up in places but had I not been aw
Hasham Rasool
Christopher wrote this book when he was fifteen years old. He did very well.

I love the relationship between Eragon and Saphira. I could see there are true affections between the boy and dragon.

I have seen 'Eragon' film long time ago, I can't remember what all of the casts look like but I can remember a bit what happened. The movie of 'Eragon' and the book are very differences. I love the book! I really didn't like a film. It is pointless! Alhamdulillah.
destiny ☠ howling libraries
I've been dying to reread this one for a while, but I was looking at its GR entry and noticed it's listed as YA fantasy. I've always considered it MG, possibly because I first read it when it was released, which was when I was 10 years old or so. Am I remembering wrong, maybe, since it's been so long?

Anyways, I'm putting it to a vote: do you consider Eragon MG or YA? What about the other books in The Inheritance Cycle?
Need new fantasy option ASAP 5 30 May 22, 2018 01:14PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Eragon by Christopher Paolini - Restarting May 1st 2018 394 225 May 20, 2018 12:29PM
Who thinks the movie Eragon sucks compared to the books? 290 1110 May 16, 2018 07:37PM
Eragon Forever: Don't like First movie 5 8 Apr 23, 2018 05:47AM
Book Review 1 8 Mar 08, 2018 04:45PM
For a fan of Eragon, what other books should I read? 54 2300 Feb 28, 2018 12:11PM
My Opinion: Good or Bad? 3 17 Jan 10, 2018 03:27PM
  • Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1)
  • DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
  • Icefire (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3)
  • The Sea of Trolls (Sea of Trolls, #1)
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)
  • Starlighter (Dragons of Starlight, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Dragon Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #3)
  • The Opal Deception  (Artemis Fowl, #4)
  • The Riddle (The Books of Pellinor, #2)
  • The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)
  • Dragon Rider (Dragon Rider, #1)
Christopher Paolini was born on November 17, 1983 in Southern California. He has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana with his parents and younger sister, Angela. The tall, jagged Beartooth Mountains rise on one side of Paradise Valley. Snowcapped most of the year, they inspired the fantastic scenery in the Inheritance Cycle.

Christopher is grateful to all his readers. He is especiall
More about Christopher Paolini

The Inheritance Cycle (5 books)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)
  • Untitled (The Inheritance Cycle, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“Books are my friends, my companions. They make me laugh and cry and find meaning in life.” 5941 likes
“People have an annoying habit of remembering things they shouldn't.” 1849 likes