Start by marking “Homer the Library Cat” as Want to Read:
Homer the Library Cat

Homer the Library Cat

When a quietloving cat takes an unexpected tour of the neighborhood, he's in for some rude surprises--until he discovers the purrfect solution.

Homer is a very quiet cat. He lives in a very quiet house with a very quiet lady. But one day, while the lady is away, Homer hears a very loud sound, and out the window he goes! Poor Homer just wants to find a spot where he can curl
Published November 8th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Homer the Library Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homer the Library Cat

Start your review of Homer the Library Cat
Kathy Davie
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A standalone adventure as Homer finds his new home-away-from-home.

My Take
A sweet story using a third-person objective point-of-view, Lindbergh introduces us to Homer and the town all while using an a-b-c-b rhyme scheme that’s so smooth I almost didn’t notice it.

I’m loving the line ink drawings filled in with watercolors. There’s a lightness in all that detail that hums. Do check out the titles on the last page…see if you can figure out what they mean??

Theme-wise, I’m thinking it’s that your quie
Christiane
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet story of a cat who gets out of his house and ends up in the one quiet place he can find---the public library---where his owner ("the quiet lady") is a librarian! The pictures are a little too small and detailed for large story times, but would work for smaller ones. Each page has a four-line rhyme that while not great poetry will be fun to read aloud. This will be a nice companion to the picture book "Dewey: There's a Cat in the Library!" by Vicki Myron.

***I was just re-reading this before
Lisa
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What a great book! It has everything a person could want in a children's book. It has a good word-to-picture ratio for each page, not leaving the reader lingering on pages so the listener can take in the picture, but not so many the listener gets ready for a new picture before the words are all read. The rhythm is flawless (there is one bit on the final page when you have to sort of swallow on of the r's in "library", but that's inoffensive enough, and the slight inconsistency makes the near-imm ...more
Barbara
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
When his quiet daily routine is disrupted, Homer--a very quiet cat--leaps from the window in his house and begins a day filled with adventure and lots of noise. As soon as Homer finds a place to settle, like a fire engine or a railroad boxcar, something noisy happens, and he has to leave. Eventually, he enters a quiet place where he finds the woman with whom he lives. Homer has a great time, sleeping during storytime and enjoying the snacks and the attention of all the children who have come to ...more
Kathryn
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS

Well, Homer is a sweetie, that's for sure! He is so sweet and gentle and loves his quiet house and the quiet lady with whom he lives. But, one day he finds himself outside in the big, noisy world. Aaahhh! Will he ever find quiet again? The title gives you a big hint about that ;-)

I wanted to love this book, but it ended up being just "pretty good" for me. I had expected something more about a cat actually living in the library, and this is more about his adventure in the outside world b
Julie Esanu
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, libraries
Homer loves his quiet routine, but one day everything changes when he hears a crash and jumps out the window. He spends his day searching for respite from the cacophony of the town, and finds a quiet spot in the library. Consider pairing this book with The Quiet Book and The Loud Book or The Great Gracie Chase by Cynthia Rylant.
Laurie
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lara
Who doesn't love a good library cat story? Very easy rhyme scheme - very readable. Would pull out for storytimes on libraries (National Library Week, maybe?) and cats, and maybe on opposites - loud and quiet places. Would pair nicely with Dewey: There's a Cat in the Library! for a real-world counterpart, or stories like Otto the Book Bear for other animals finding a home at the library. ...more
Robert Davis
Homer the cat is quietly living 'The life of Riley' in a quiet house with a quiet lady, until a chaotic event catapults (no pun intended) our young feline friend out of the quiet house with the quiet lady and out into the loud and rambunctious world! Will Homer ever find his way back to the quiet house with the quiet lady? (hint: there is a clue in the title)

It is a fun book with clever illustrations and humorous happenings. I did see something rather interesting, take a close look at the... (vi
Paige Pulley
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was very cute and it even had lines of poetry in it! Children will fall in love with Homer after reading this story.
Jen
I simply adored this book: the illustrations were fabulous and the text was really great, too. :)

I loved that the text rhymed. (I love children's stories that rhyme, lol.) The illustrations were great fun, too. The story was really neat: (view spoiler)
Relyn
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I began doing GoodReads as a digital version of my own book journals. I thought this would be a fun way to keep track of my reading. I enjoy writing up my thoughts as I finish each book. As a teacher and a bookworm, I read so many books. My reviews help me keep track of what I want to use again in my classroom as well as creating a very bookish personal history. I also use it to create my annual Best Books post on my blog, too. (www.comesitbymyfire.blogspot.com)

Some time ago I discovered the Go
Jennifer Strong
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2016
Homer is a quiet cat. His life is peaceful and routine until one day he hears a crash and jumps out the window. He tries to find quiet spots all over town but is unsuccessful...that is until he stumbles into the library! There his quiet owner, the librarian, reads stories to children. Homer sleeps "right through the stories, but [wakes] up for the snack." Now he goes to the library daily and enjoys the quiet there.

This cute book is written in rhyme. At first I was confused because the story had
Jackie
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Homer loves peace and quiet and living his while-away days at home with the quiet lady. After she leaves one day, the window is broken and Homer leaps out. He finds all sorts of noises outside...clanging fire engines, chugga-chugging railroad cars, and noisy garbage cans.

Just then, Homer stumbles into a quiet building and finds the quiet lady! She's in her rocking chair reading stories to children! They love him and Homer has found a new home.

Homer the Library Cat is a delightfully illustrated
Meg
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet story about a quiet-loving cat in a quest to find some peace and quiet. Reeve Lindbergh has a great touch writing stories in rhyme that have a ton of both kid and adult appeal.

Candlewick has created a fabulous PDF resource with extension activities and printables.

In my library class (for 1st and 2nd graders), I'm pairing this book with The Library Lion. Children will design and describe a pet or animal that could live in our library.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Homer is living a quiet life with a very nice lady. One day, when his lady is not home, he falls out a window and his quiet lifestyle is lost. He travels around town trying to find a peaceful spot but he always ends up at noisy places like the fire station or the train station. Then his luck changes and he finds a place that seems quiet; there are lots of books and children's voices and then the voice of someone familiar. Can it be his very nice lady? This is the perfect story for kids who enjoy ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Charlyn
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: PreK - grade 2
Homer leaves home when his peace is disrupted and tries to find another quiet place to stay. Surprise! He finds his owner in the public library and finds that he likes that environment. This story in rhyme details Homer's search for quiet and the various places he didn't find it. And while I was contemplating why there weren't more books about a dog in a library my dog's yapping reminded me why. But maybe a hamster or a goldfish or a chameleon....
Rachel
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, 2016
A sweet picture book about what happens to cat who is used to the quiet life, and suddenly finds himself in a very loud and noisy world. When a sudden noise chases Homer from his home, he scurries from one clamorous scene to another until he finds his owner, a children's librarian, at work. With detailed and bright artwork and gentle rhymes, this is a hit for one-on-one story times and larger groups. Highly recommended.
Matthew
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
A story in verse, this account of a cat frightened from his posh home by loud noises one day takes the reader on a city-wide adventure in search of a quiet place to rest. It ends happily, with the cat reuniting with his owner in a new location, the library. Nicely done. Amusing illustrations throughout.
Nick
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Having met a real library cat, I think the author and illustrator did a great job. A library cat has to have a calm personality, but be adventurous and friendly enough to want to hang out with relative strangers. Homer is a really good example of the right kind of cat.
Kids who like cats will really enjoy this story.
Dolly
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: library, 2012, pets, childrens
This is a fun and fascinating story of a cat who is temporarily lost, but finds his owner and a new place to hang out in the library. I love cats and libraries, so this was a story I was sure that I would like.

The illustrations are very colorful and humorous and the narrative is short and entertaining. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Nazia Chowdhury-ahmed
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful children story book. It has all you need for the perfect childrens book. A good proportion of pictures to words. Just as exciting to read as a whole class and one to one. Comprising of rhyming couplets, which all pupils love. Interesting story about a colourful cat called Homer embarks on a wonderful journey.
Tim Johnson
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-time
Anne Wilsdorf's illustrations are pretty great. There's a lot going on in every picture. The story is good too. The word selection for the rhyme scheme that Lindbergh employs keeps it from being monotonous or overbearing. She left out the part where the kids in the library have to help clean Homer's litter box though.
Cat
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
mauvemagnolia
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Rhyming story about a cat who likes quiet places. Homer goes around town trying to find a quiet place after a loud noise scares him out of his home. Ends up in the library, a perfect place for quiet time, stories and snacks!

Recommended for:

* Storytime for ages 2 - 5
Sharlet Mullen
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Homer loves his quiet life till on day he falls out the window of his house. Scared he runs to find a quiet place, yet every time he falls asleep another loud noise wakes him. He finally finds the right door of the library and enjoys the stories.
midnightfaerie
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Trisha Daniel
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like Homer, I also have a cat that does not like loud sounds. It scares her to death so much she runs and hides. Homer was a very interesting cat to read about. I was glad to see he finally found a safe place that was not as loud. The library is the perfect place for a cat! It was a perfect fit!
Valleri
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet book about the bond between a librarian and her pet cat. The lengths this poor kitty goes to to find a quiet place only to ultimately find his forever home yet again is comical and cute.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Midnight Library
  • How to Read a Book
  • You Wouldn't Want to Live Without Libraries! (You Wouldn't Want to Live Without…)
  • Miss Hazeltine's Home for Shy and Fearful Cats
  • Blackout
  • Madeline Finn and the Library Dog
  • No Small Potatoes: Junius G. Groves and His Kingdom in Kansas
  • I Am a Cat
Children's author, novelist, and poet Reeve Lindbergh is the daughter of world-renowned aviator Charles Lindbergh and his wife, the talented writer Anne Morrow Lindbergh. ...more