Start by marking “Giving Thanks” as Want to Read:

"This Thanksgiving, set the mood with a story of gratitude." — CHILD

Thank you, Mother Earth.
Thank you, Father Sky.
Thank you for this day.

How can a young boy ever show his gratitude for all the beauty he sees? He will learn from his father, who thanks the earth and the sky, the frogs and the crickets, the hawk and the deer, even the trees that wave their arms in the breeze.
Published August 9th 2011 by Candlewick (first published October 13th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Giving Thanks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giving Thanks

Kelly
I quite like this simple story. The broad-stroked paintings beautifully illustrate the elegance of nature, particularly in the Autumn shift from Summer to Winter. I valued the focus on gratitude for nature (especially when so many children list thanks for fleeting material goods), and I appreciated the calm serenity of the text. In addition, unlike other readers (see other comments), I appreciated the boy stating his discomfort and embarrassment with his father's practice of thanking natural obj ...more
Dolly
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story about a father and son who are taking a hike. During the hike, the father says thank you to the earth, sun, moon and various plants and animals. It's his way for expressing his gratitude for the bountiful nature that is a gift.

While we enjoyed reading this story together, I suspect our girls would think it very strange if I thanked everything we saw along our hikes. This is not specifically about the Thanksgiving holiday, but the book has some autumn illustrations and woul
Margaret Chind
This is an absolutely gorgeous book to share in the Thanksgiving/Fall Season, or really any time of the year. A relationship between a father and child (in this case father and son) is a special bond and they are real sponges to what they can soak up and learn in the right environment. The paintings of this picture book are my favorite part, but the story and learning about giving thanks in anything and everything around us is good as well. Definitely one we'll pull out year after year.

*Thanks t
Amy
The realistic illustrations of a boy and his father experiencing nature together are the highlight of this book. As the father thanks Grandfather Sun and Grandmother Moon, though, I find myself agreeing with the little boy in the book, who thinks "it's a little embarassing to say thanks to trees and things." He says his father is giving thanks like his Indian friends, but thanking the animals, insects and trees felt awkward to me. I would have enjoyed the book much more if the father had just sa ...more
Livvie Esslinger
This is about a walk that a father and a son go on. The father is setting an example of how we need to give thanks to mother earth by thanking all of nature. He says it makes him feel good. So, he thanks everything they see in nature on their walk. Even though the son is a tad bit embarrassed, he thanks the stars as they are nearing home.

This book was a cute story, and I thought the illustrations were beautiful! However, the theme of praising mother nature as a "God" figure, kid of messed with m
Sherry
Nov 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleary-gang
The premise of the book is laudable in it's intentions but I found it too bland. By incorporating a specified perspective; it seems to have deleted any impact the story might have had. "Thanks" didn't seem to be the focus of the theme, maybe if a more diversified perspective was incorporated, the book would have had more impact to this reader. I have shelved it with the other mediocre titles.
Barbara
As a boy and his father move through the woods and across the fields, the father expresses gratitude to the animals and trees along their pathway. By the end of the journey, the boy, too, has learned how to express his appreciation for the natural beauty that surrounds them. Excellent reminders of the beauty that surrounds us if we only care to look, the illustrations, rendered in oil on linen, are lovely.
Ashley
I really loved this book. It was about a young boy and all that he is thankful for. I think this could be a great book to read to my students during the week of Thanksgiving. After, I could have them write a few things they are thankful for and draw or paint a picture and this could be a cute gift for their parents on Thanksgiving.
Matthew
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this book are truly incredible. Even without the amazing text, I could have enjoyed this book for that reason by itself, but this book has so much more. London truly outdoes himself with this text. A real standout.
Candace Carr
I would show this book to students to show them that it's important to all things around us. I would also use the pictures and have students write their own stories from the pictures.
Mary
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful theme and wonderful illustrations.
Kathryn
Lovely story about giving thanks for the "everyday" gifts of nature, from sunrises to birds in the woods.
Mollie B
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for storytime the day after Thanksgiving with a non-holiday approach to thankfulness.
Heather
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, thanksgiving
Beautiful, we should be more appreciative of each other and the nature around us.
Theresa
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
The poetic inspiration showing how native americans view nature and show their gratitude toward all they rechieve. very beautiful
pictures
Anne
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read at school just before Thanksgiving
made idea of giving thanks accessible to kids as each thought of something living in their world to give thanks for
will use again
Edward Sullivan
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good version of the prayer and beautifully illustrated but see Chief Jake Swamp's version, Giving Thanks: A Native American Good Morning Message.
Maren Prestegaard
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall
Loved this book about giving thanks to all the things in nature. Good for raising a future environmentalist.
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Paintings in here are a definite five stars. The writing on the other hand, meh.
Malcolm says, "I like this because it's funny to say 'Giving Thanks' instead of Thanksgiving."
Lisa Hanson
Nov 14, 2012
Finny
Aug 16, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Jonathan London is the author of several celebrated children's books. His commitment to honoring the wonders of the natural world has been lauded by readers and critics alike. He is the author of more than 70 children's books, many of which are about nature. He's also the author of the popular Froggy series. He lives in Graton, California with his wife and two sons.
More about Jonathan London...