Start by marking “Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer” as Want to Read:
Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer

Pride & Prejudice : A BabyLit Counting Primer

(BabyLit Primers)

With the perennial popularity of classic writers like Jane Austen and William Shakespeare, Baby Lit™ is a fashionable way to introduce your toddler to the world of classic literature. With clever, simple counting text by Jennifer Adams, paired with stylish design and illustrations by Sugar’s Alison Oliver, Little Miss Austen and Little Master Shakespeare are a must for eve ...more
Board Book, 22 pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Gibbs Smith

To ask other readers questions about Pride & Prejudice , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride & Prejudice

emma
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
WOW THIS IS REALLY FLIPPIN' ADORABLE.
David Schaafsma
Thanks to Jon for getting me to know about this both hilarious and yet practical series of (so far) 23 board books by Jennifer Addams for toddlers based on classical literature! What?! I initially thought: Is this some kind of early inculcation of privileged kids into the literary canon, to keep them away from hipper, grittier kiddie lit?!

But no, I realized, toddlers can't really yet be fully exposed to Pride and Prejudice! This is for the parents, who love their kids and want to help them lear
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
This is such a fantastic series - and YES I put these books on my 'classics' shelf!
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Try not to judge me too hard, but I fell in love with these adorable baby board books while babysitting this past weekend, and I was deeply saddened that the children I had knew how to count and stuff. I'm a sucker for things like this, too, even though I don't want to be, and the sampler-esque feel to the Austen cover and the paper doll-style art of both books just charmed me from the start.

So, how nuanced can a counting book be, right? About half of each book is specific to the story (four mar
Katherine Cowley
No child is too young to meet Jane Austen and her masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice. In this picture book, the characters and basic plot of Pride and Prejudice are turned into a "counting primer" (one of those picture books where on the first page you're introduced to the number 1, on the second to the number 2, etc.). Thus we have "1 English Village", "2 Rich Gentlemen" (Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy, of course), 5 sisters, and many other delights. Number 10 is one of the funniest--and most fitting- ...more
Brent Weeks
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
The Pride & Prejudice adaptation is very cute. The art is lovely. The concept is simple and the characters, of course, beloved. Perhaps the best of the series.
Taija
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-loved-it
Is it too early to purchase baby board books? Cuz that’s exactly what I did with this book!
oliviasbooks
Well ... apart from the fact that a bored and bright kid can have an awesome time with every thing that offers colorful illustrations (from food wrappings to street signs) I think that "Little Miss Austen" is one of the worst counting books I've come across. It comes highly recommended as a baby shower present for Darcy-crazy young mums. And since I love my Austen novels a lot, I thought I had to see for myself how the book, that claims to introduce the classic lovestory to the youngest of all ...more
Ann
Cute. When it counts elements from the actual Pride and Prejudice story (5 sisters, for example), I loved it, but toward the higher numbers the counted items got more generic and less fun (like 8 horses). Still, a cute way to incorporate the classics into early learning.
Kathryn
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
So adorable and fun! Little ones can enjoy illustrations of ball gowns and horses and ten thousand pound bank notes, Mommy (or Daddy) will appreciate knowing the story they really mean in Austen's story ;-)
Gretchen
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my nephew and was smiling ear to ear the whole time. So cute and clever!
Bronwyn
Cute counting book using things from the novel.
Laurel
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have read all of Jane Austen works, many biographies, nonfiction, and oodles of sequels — but an Austen-inspired children’s board book? Whoa! Curious? I was. Don’t ya just love the creativity that our Jane inspires?

When I first heard about Pride & Prejudice: Little Miss Austen (BabyLit) by Jennifer Adams, the same author who wrote the lovely Remarkably Jane: Notable Quotations on Jane Austen, I was quite intrigued. Would this be a retelling of one of my favorite classic novels for very you
Kat
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jane Austen-loving parents w/young children
Recommended to Kat by: Laurel Ann (Austenprose)
If I could, I would own every edition of Pride and Prejudice ever printed in the English language. While I do have annotated, hardcover, paperback, tradeback, ebook, and audiobook versions of my favorite novel, I never thought I'd see the day when a board book would be made from Jane Austen's work. I've read a large number of board books and picture books to my sister's children over the years, and I obviously have my favorites. But I think I've now got a new book to add to that list.

Little Miss
Chelsea
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
As I stated in a previous review of a different BabyLit book...

This is a children's board book that contains one word and one illustration, on every other page, throughout the entirety of the book. I attempted to give this book a fair chance; and failed.

ONE: I cannot understand why there is a children's adaptation of Pride & Prejudice. In my opinion, there should not be. TWO: One word and illustration on every other page does not a book make. Even if it is a board book. It is just strange
Bob Platypire
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, this is flippin' adorable. I bought it while looking for kindle books to read to my 2 year old, and as soon as my Austen obsession collided with this baby verson, I HAD to have it! It's a counting book, and Baby loooooved counting the pictures with me, as I told her a little about each thing we counted, adding to this book with tiny details from the original. And we had FUN! I intend to buy her the actual board book for her little book collection we've started. I also fully intend to grab mo ...more
Larissa Langsather
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I love Jane Austen but haven't been able to read a long book because I have young kids. This was just too cute and introduced my 5 year old to Austen. I adore the pictures. They are cartoon like, but very girly with pinks and rose and white. My 3 year old loved the dresses. The baby loves turning the pages. I was so excited when I found this at the library now I need my own copy.
Leonie
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in this series we've received as a gift which means we have excellent friends :-)

The pictures are great and the subjects are wonderful 'in jokes' based on Pride & Prejudice. I think my favourite is '4 marriage proposals'.

We will enjoy this book alongside our Alice in Wonderland book of colours.
Stephanie
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So, this is a counting book that tells the story of Pride and Prejudice, it's pretty friggin' awesome. Some highlights...2 rich gentlemen (Bingley and Darcy, of course), 5 sisters, and, my favorite 10...10,000 pounds a year! If you love Pride and Prejudice, you will love listen to your tiny tot count out the highlights...good times...good times...
Emerson and Theodore
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Poor subject for a children's book.

Poorly executed. Bored Emerson to the point of shoving it aside for a book about trucks.

MOOK

Mark gave this book a 1 star.

Now, for the mommy review. This book is awesome! It is a really cute counting book: "...4 marriage proposals....". But Emerson couldn't get into it because he wanted to read about trucks. This book is a 5 star book.
David
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Absolutely brilliant interpretation of one of my favorite Bollywood inspired films. Pride and Prejudice takes you through your numbers and is just perfect for people who don't have the time to suffer through the original text.
Amanda Geske
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
“10 10,000 pounds a year.”
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
OMG, this was so cute and adorable. Loved the illustrations and while it was hard to pick a favorite picture, the dashing young redcoats might win the day...
Gemma
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing introduction to Pride and Prejudice for any baby!! Love the illustrations. Wonderful.
Kelly Howarth
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bought this for my two year old. You are never too young to introduce your daughter to Mr Darcy.
Katie
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this board book! Such a cute idea!
Jennifer Brinkmeyer
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-child
A delightfully comprehensive retelling of P&P by the numbers!
Carmen Liffengren
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen-pastiche
The essence of Pride and Prejudice distilled into a counting book for the preschool set is delightful. This is one of my very favorite board books.
Dianna
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tee hee. This is a counting board book using themes from Pride and Prejudice. I got a good giggle out of it, and my two-year-old girl likes it because it's pink. Win-win.
Lily
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stumbled upon this while I was shelving baby books at the library today. 'Twas delightful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fifteen Animals!
  • The Hueys in the New Sweater
  • In My Tree
  • Time for a Hug
  • Baby Penguins Everywhere!
  • Little You
  • Soup for One
  • Newtonian Physics for Babies
  • Jane Austen Cover to Cover: 200 Years of Classic Book Covers
  • Hug Time

Jennifer Adams is the author of more than forty books. Her bestselling BabyLit board books (published by Gibbs Smith) introduce small children to the world of classic literature and have sold 1.5 million copies. Her new series of board books My Little Cities (published by Chronicle Books) includes London and New

BabyLit Primers (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Dracula: A Babylit(r) Counting Primer