Start by marking “Seriously... I'm Kidding” as Want to Read:
Seriously... I'm Kidding

Seriously... I'm Kidding

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  102,613 ratings  ·  7,564 reviews
"Sometimes the greatest things are the most embarrassing." Ellen Degeneres' winning, upbeat candor has made her show one of the most popular, resilient and honored daytime shows on the air. (To date, it has won no fewer than 31 Emmys.) Seriously... I'm Kidding, Degeneres' first book in eight years, brings us up to date about the life of a kindhearted woman who bowed out of ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Seriously... I'm Kidding, please sign up.
Ray Justus Seriously? Absolutely not! I cannot believe the other answers!
Marylou
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingYes Please by Amy PoehlerLet's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  LawsonAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Funny Women Memoirs
359 books — 1,512 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeySeriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneresIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingYes Please by Amy PoehlerIf You Ask Me by Betty White
Celebrity Authors
306 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

·  102,613 ratings  ·  7,564 reviews

Start your review of Seriously... I'm Kidding
Lora
Note: This is a review of the audio edition.

I love Ellen Degeneres. Seriously, I'm not kidding. I know what you're thinking: you can't truly love someone whom you've never met and probably never will. But I truly love her in the way you love someone — or something — that you know with your whole heart is making the world a better place to live. And I am positive of this fact when it comes to this woman.
After a hard day, her humor and generosity and overall love for people and life are a balm on
Lisa
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
When I was a little girl, my grandfather once told me that when he spoke in front of a group, he often began with, "I know most people start their speeches with jokes, but I don't know any, so let's all think of our favorite joke and laugh." This book reminded me a lot of that joke.

While I don't watch Ellen's talk show, I do really like her and have read her other books. This one seems... gratuitous. One chapter is made up entirely of her making sounds. As in, mememememeeme. Or, bwabwabwa. A fe
Y. C.
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Have you seen tumblr? I don't mean the pretty pictures. I mean this:

You get the point. This is what Ellen's book is like. It is filled with the most random, sparse and off tangent thoughts I've ever had the opportunity to read.
Clumsy Storyteller
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ellen DeGeneres is a beloved stand-up comedian, television host, bestselling author, and actress. She hosts the syndicated talk show The Ellen DeGeneres Show, i enjoyed this book so much i love Ellen i watch her show she is so funny , one of my favourite chapters, “What Would Jesus Do?” All these polls do is make everyone so judgmental. And I don’t believe in judgment. Unless is judgment of judgment. I don’t think someone has to “wear something better” or have a better hairstyle. That’s why the ...more
exploraDora

***2 stars***

I would like to start off by saying that I like Ellen a lot. That's why I decided to read one of her books. She's fun and seems like a genuinely lovely person. UPDATE: Lately, I keep hearing that she's actually not that great in real life?! Idk what to think..

Anyway

While listening to this, I felt like I was being messed with or mocked.
The audiobook is read by Ellen herself, which was nice. But 90 percent of the time I felt like she was just... rambling. To give you an example: for
Nada Elshabrawy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, english
I laughed out so hard, God i love Ellen 💙
Nat
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
“It always helps to think about other people instead of ourselves.”

I picked up this audiobook in hopes of it lifting up my spirits while I had a cold. And for the first two (out of three) hours it did its job. I laughed heartily while getting to forget for a minute that I was feeling awful. And two passages in particular really stayed with me.

One for being witty: “Do things that make you happy within the confines of the legal system.”

And the other for being relatable: “Leaning forward in your ch
Crystal Starr Light
You wanna read/listen to an amusing little time waster and you like Ellen DeGeneres' style of humor? This is your book. However, don't go into this expecting anything really substantial. Some chapters are a couple of words, maybe a sentence long. And while I adored some of the stories and was uplifted by the encouraging tone, that is where my biggest complaint is.

I listened to this in 3 hours. This is the absolute shortest audiobook I've ever listened to--and this goes for almost $30 retail. You
Kelli
Apr 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Seriously...I'm bored. And shocked. This audio is not well read by the author (how is that even possible?). There is little affect, there are no pauses, and it seemed like even she was racing to get to the end. The content was all over the place. I really like Ellen and I've always found her funny. I guess her humor doesn't translate well to books for me. Reading it for audio, it didn't seem like she found it funny, either. Sadly, 1 star.
Barbara
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it

Ellen DeGeneres

I listened to the audio version of this book and it's a lot like watching Ellen talk on her television show - lots of casual, humorous observations about everyday life.

Ellen riffs on a wide variety of random topics, seemingly whatever pops into her head at the moment. For example: People who are late for dinner parties (it's rude and may lead to the hosts being in their pajamas by the time dinner ends).

Being a Cover Girl model - it's hard being beautiful.

Coming out as gay (she's
Debbie "DJ"
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Although I really like Ellen, I thought this book was pretty lame. Old material from past comedy shows, and random thoughts. I was hoping for just a little information on Ellen herself...no. Yes, it got a few laughs out of me, but seriously? Oh, she's kidding.
Tara
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite parts:
"It's so rare for people to actually set aside time to curl up with a book and read. By the way, I don't know you have to curl up to a book, but that's what people say. You can't just say you're going to read a book because then someone will ask, 'Well how are you going to read it? What position will you be in?'
'I'm gonna curl up.'
'Oh, good. So you're not gonna stand?'
'No, no. I'm gonna curl up.'
'Okay, good. Hey, you're not gonna lay on your side, are you?'
'No. I promis
Jason Koivu
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autobiography, humor
5 GLORIOUS STARS!!! is what I wanted to give Seriously...I'm Kidding when I first picked it up. The peace and kindness message is great, but this lacks the funny far too much for an autobio from a comedian.

I love Ellen DeGeneres. Wait, let me back up. I love the idea of Ellen DeGeneres. I really like her show. Her stand-up...meh. Unfortunately, this book is more like her stand-up. This very quick read (actually, I listened to her read it and it was only 3 cds) is sprinkled with her silly titter
Victoria
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick take, not a review…
Ellen doing what she does best, quirky musings and silly thoughts with droll delivery. It’s a bit of a hodge podge of subjects with little to tie them together, but still made me laugh and maybe because my brain works in much the same way (leap frogging thoughts that often leave me wondering where the string began), I enjoyed those chapters most of all.
Rosie Nguyễn
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: relationship
This book is a bunch of absurd disorderly ideas. But it still deserves 4 stars. Why? Well because it makes me laugh and clap, which many other books cannot.
Davytron
Nov 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who have an hour to spend in a book store
Update: The ire against Ellen at the moment has brought people to this review, somehow. I didn't like Ellen then and I don't like her now - honestly I didn't think it took x-ray vision to see through her then (she has always belittled and treated others with contempt) but I am glad people are coming around. Too bad she's already made millions so she doesn't even have to care.

As expected, this book was a joke. This thirty dollar waste of time and money should-have-been-a-free-blog/twitter-post i
Natalie Monroe
“Accept who you are. Unless you're a serial killer.”

Here's what you're going to do. You're not going to buy this book. You're not going to borrow it from the library. You're going to click on the nifty quotes section on the right and read through them.

Snort into your coffee. Laugh embarrassingly loud at work, or on the train, or wherever you are right now.

Then click out. Mark Seriously... I'm Kidding as read and check out a cute kitten video.

Because you're done. The actual book is disjoin
Kristen Richeal
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Seriously....it wasn't funny
Erin
As a kid I loved Ellen DeGeneres. I watched her ABC sitcom. I watched all her HBO standup specials. I just thought she was hilarious.

Now as an adult I don't get why she's so popular. I've tried watching her talk show and I find it annoying. I felt the same way I feel about her talk show that I feel about this book....

Ellen is trying to hard to be funny and likable.

Ellen really really wants us to like her and I think she tries too hard. Its painful.

I realize I'm in the minority, because most p
Erin
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Ellen. After listening to this audiobook I still love Ellen! Some people don't normally find her that amusing. To those people I say, "You're stupid." Just kidding. If you didn't think that was funny, then you might not like this book. But to me, it was laugh-out-loud hilarity the whole way through. A few jokes were even so funny that I kept reliving them afterwards and going around town laughing sporadically. It is probably best that I just let people think that I'm laughing at them rath ...more
Sandy
Dec 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres is a goofy, cute, and at-times comical book. Each chapter/section is random and does not make sense at some parts. If you like Ellen's brand of humour then this is a nice escape for a few hours. It's also a very quick read meant to pass the time. The book is supposed to highlight what's going on in Ellen's life but I'm able to pick out very little of what I think are actually real slices of her life when the rest is just meant to amuse and distract the ...more
Jason
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
I only snickered a couple times while reading this. I wanted to laugh out loud! My favorite standard Ellen jokes are when she talks about not wearing pants or drinking too much wine.

I guess my expectations were a little off when I read this. I wanted to hear jokes or more about Ellen's life, but instead, I got chapters where she encouraged me to recycle, to be happy, and to meditate. She sounded an awful lot like Oprah. Not really. Ellen doesn't take herself too seriously. (See the title.) She e
Aya Hamza
*Listening to the Audio-book.
Tisha
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ellen DeGeneres is one of my favorite TV personalities. I watch her shows almost like an addict! So naturally I was very excited about reading her book. But I am disappointed!

First of all, it was not an actual book for me. I would rather love to call it a journal or something that one writes in an informal way!

And the contents of it were another issue for me. Well, I really expected to laugh out loud reading her book just like I do while watching her shows. But that didn’t happen. I found out pr
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

I really don't understand why there are so many poor reviews for Seriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres, this was such a good little audiobook!

There isn't anything too incredibly serious in Seriously... I'm Kidding, which I guess was to be expected. In true Ellen fashion this short audiobook was full of fun sound effects and lots of jokes. She didn't talk too much about her life in general so I am hesitant to call this book a memoir or autobiography, I might have to read her oth
TL
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Crystal Starr Light

---

Had read one of Ellen's books years ago and thought it was just 'okay.' It wasn't that I didn't like it, it just seemed her great personality and humor didn't translate as well to paper (I think I am in the minority there). I meant to read her other book but forgot until I saw this book of hers came out, but for some reason never got around to either one.

In my humble opinion, this is a better way to read Ellen's books.

Another case of 'Why not? Let's go for it :)'

Ellen's narration was
My_Strange_Reading
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was pretty disappointing. I was hoping it would be a balance of funny and ‘real’ but it just felt like she was all over the place and never dove very deep.
La-Lionne
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall, the book was wonderful. It had so many laugh-out-loud moments. What made it even better, was that there were many great advices. Humor aside, Ellen Degeneres is a very cool woman and is easy to relate to. Aside from the fact that she is rich and famous :).

The reason I'm taking away one star is because some of the jokes just didn't translate as well on the paper. Without her tone of voice and facial expressions, it's just wasn't the same. I've been a fan of her show forever, and on TV, s
☮Karen
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Seriously? This was nothing but Ellen's very random thoughts similar to her stand up routines in the old days, interspersed with many MANY reminders to watch her talk show. I found the audio version, narrated by Ellen herself, funny for about 5 minutes and then it was just silly. If you like silly, you'll love this!! If not, do something else for 3 hours, like watch Ellen reruns.
Bonnie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bonnie by: Dani
“So be who you really are. Embrace who you are. Literally. Hug yourself. Accept who you are. Unless you’re a serial killer.”

I was having a pretty bad day when I started this. There was a lot of driving involved that I wasn’t looking forward to and an unexpected blizzard to boot. I always like a good audiobook to keep me company I just didn’t think anything was going to be able to get me out of the funk I was in — but I underestimated Ellen.

I’m Kidding…Seriously aims at being a light-hearted
Book Review 5 51 Jul 24, 2018 02:15PM
Bookworm Bitches : December 2011: Seriously... I'm Kidding 41 333 Jul 19, 2017 07:50AM
Around the Year i...: Seriously... I'm Kidding, by Ellen DeGeneres 1 17 Apr 04, 2016 09:19PM
Nonfiction Naviga...: Seriously… I'm Kidding by Ellen Degeneres 1 3 Mar 24, 2016 05:44PM
Nonfiction Naviga...: Seriously... I'm Kidding Book Review 1 5 Mar 24, 2016 08:01AM

• The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
  • Comedian Gone Wrong
  • Why Not Me?
  • If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't)
  • Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
  • Scrappy Little Nobody
  • Dad Is Fat
  • Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
  • Sh*t My Dad Says
  • Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang
  • Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"
Ellen Lee DeGeneres is an American stand-up comedian, actress, and currently the Emmy Award-winning host of the syndicated talk show The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

She has hosted both the Academy Awards and the Primetime Emmys. As a film actress, she starred in Mr. Wrong, appeared in Edtv and The Love Letter, and provided the voice of "Dory" in the Pixar animated hit film Finding Nemo. She also starred

News & Interviews

“Accept who you are. Unless you're a serial killer.” 7271 likes
“Beauty is about being comfortable in your own skin. It's about knowing and accepting who you are.” 513 likes