Start by marking “The Mac Is Not A Typewriter: A Style Manual For Creating Professional Level Type On Your Macintosh” as Want to Read:

One of the most popular Macintosh books ever published (over 300,000 now in print), The Mac is not a typewritercovers the top twenty things you need to know to make your documents look clean and professional: em dashes, curly quotes, spaces and indents, white space, etc. It's a primer that novices can pick up quickly, and that pros can keep going back to. Winner of the 199 ...more
Paperback
Published February 6th 1995 by Peachpit Press (first published 1989)

Leslie
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who cares about the perception given by their written work.
Shelves: reference, web-dev
This tiny book is a perfect companion to Lynn Truss's "Eats, Shoots & Leaves". It picks up where Ms Truss leaves off, answering questions many of us sticklers didn't even know we had about the difference between a hyphen and a dash or tabs and indents and how many spaces to use between sentences. The appendices provide an excellent reference to the ascii codes for "unusual" characters as used by various word processors. An invaluable tool for anyone using type in design, or anyone who cares ...more
Jaime
Sep 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writesomething
If you're still putting two spaces after a sentence, read this book immediately.
Jason Ashlock
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Give as present to Art Director friends
Krystianna
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for those in design and those not. 5/5 stars.
Kathleen Sinnott
If I could, I would give everyone I meet a copy of this gem. Read it. Live it. Your writing, and your readers, will thank you for it!
Elizabeth
Two prerequisites for getting the most out of this book:

1. A computing machine of much antiquity (or a Mac, if Macs have kept the same keystrokes since 1990).

2. A thick skin as author Robin Williams could easily be described as a disgruntled junior college professor who has graded one-too-many bad papers. The book is laced with sarcasm with which I am annoyed but also admire simultaneously. Bottom line: if you crossed her grammatically on the street, she would challenge you to a rumble. But yo
Kaye McSpadden
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently re-read this book and was reminded how fabulous it is. Along with Williams' other works, including The Non-Designer's Design Book and the Non-Designer's Type Book, this is essential reading for anyone who works on newsletters and other print materials but is not professionally trained. These books are some of the most clearly-written, helpful, practical, and informative books I've ever read. (Note: if you're a Mac person, you should read The Mac is Not a Typewriter instead.)
Tania
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the earlier edition of this book when I first transitioned from typewriter to computer (and Macs happened to be my introduction to the world of computing). There are lots of great tidbits in here, from the proper use of quotations and dashes to combining fonts and making sure your document is readable with them. It's presented very well so that it is easy to follow and to find your way to the information you need.
Ram Ray
Apr 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any computer user who writes
The best little book I have ever seen offering so much information and inspiration for the crafting of better writing. Very informed and credible author who knows her semicolons really well . . . very few do! And she makes it all very interesting while pointing out mere typing is not good writing.
Nicole J
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This reference book should be on everyones desk. I believe we have all become a little lazy with type, punctuation etc. This book has all the little things that make for professional writing summed up in "an easy to find" manual.
Douglas Wilson
Very helpful. Filled in some important gaps.
Mike
May 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
Book on the differences between the PC and the typewriter. I've had a PC for a number of years and didn't ever learn to type on a typewriter, so this book didn't help me much.
pamelochka
Nov 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little dry, but good info for typing things correctly and more up-to-date.
s2artM
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, typography
Great primer on how to use a computer correctly to set type. A must have for anyone serious about books and book design.
Cp
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book recommended by a very savvy nun who taught me graphic design in undergraduate school.
Rita
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good book to keep around if you use a mac for writing or for design. the whole "i'm superior because i'm a mac owner" attitude can get really irritating, though.
Jena
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dated, but most of the advice still holds true. Even with auto-formatting, it's easy to commit some grammatical/stylistic blunders. And the advice still works for most photo-editing software as well.
Eric Waldbaum
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has some clever writing tips. A few things were outdated or questionable, but it was mostly good and a quick read.
Jo
Oct 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mac people
Robin Williams is so clear.
Irene
Oct 06, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
what i remember from the first few pages...do not double space after a period!
Georgia
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
Simple, humorous, and extremely useful.
Neil Fein
  • Typography Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Type in Graphic Design
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
  • Typographic Design: Form and Communication
  • Paideia of God: & Other Essays on Education
  • I Only Say This Because I Love You: How the Way We Talk Can Make or Break Family Relationships Throughout Our Lives
  • History in English Words
  • The Culture We Deserve
  • Rescuing Ambition
  • Poetic Knowledge: The Recovery of Education
  • The Message in the Bottle: How Queer Man Is, How Queer Language Is, and What One Has to Do with the Other
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • More Show Me How: Everything We Couldn’t Fit in the First Book Instructions for Life from the Everyday to the Exotic
  • The Designer's Guide To Marketing And Pricing: How To Win Clients And What To Charge Them

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robin P. Williams is an American writer of computer-related books. She is particularly known for her manuals of style The Mac is Not a Typewriter and The Non-Designer's Design Book, as well as numerous manuals for various Mac OS operating systems and applications, including The Little Mac Book.