Start by marking “Southern Comfort (Compass Brothers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Southern Comfort (Compass Brothers, #2)

Southern Comfort (Compass Brothers #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  2,546 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews

Caught between desire and a promise…

Seth Compton knew from the first that his boss’s daughter was all wrong for him. She was too feisty, too damned independent and, at seven years his junior, too damned young. When she comes home with a college diploma and fiancé on her arm, though, he can’t quite remember all the reasons he held her at arm’s length.

It’s not just his je

Published July 12th 2011 by Mari Carr

To ask other readers questions about Southern Comfort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Comfort

Mspink
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Not a bad little story. Kind of cute and sexy. I don't particularly love stories that are surrounded by misunderstandings and miscommunications and hidden agendas. Things get lost in the story and it isn't very satisfying to me personally.

Seth and Jody have always wanted each other. Jody made her interest obvious over the years and Seth always held back, thinking she was either too young or just not able to handle what he needs. By the time she feels beaten and rejected she moves on and he all
Katya
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Heather in FL
This was a nice second book. I loved how Jody stood up to Seth. I mean sure, she submitted, but she also made him submit. How sexy is that? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be crying by the end of this series. But it'll be interesting to see what's happening with each brother while we've been reading about the others. I found that interesting... many series go on a timeline... one ends, the next begins, maybe years later. But things that happened in the first book were happening in this one. I think ...more
adelina.
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was hot and steamy, plus I always love this kind of ''she loved him for years'' stories.
Ni_kii
full review at http://scorchingbookreviews.blogspot.com

I want a Seth. When we meet him, he has been a very good boy for nearly 3 years. He promised Jodi’s daddy that he wouldn’t touch her until she finished college. This meant that no matter how hard she tried to seduce him, he resisted. Unfortunately for Seth, there is only so much rejection a girl can take. Jodi comes home a woman determined to move on with her life. Yes she loves him, but she isn’t a masochist, and he has hurt her one too man
Kerste
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: electronic, cowboys, m-f-m
I went on a tear and read books 2-4 in a week. I think that the way the stories are woven together is genius and the non-vanilla sex was intriguing. But why is it that the dominant men seem to mellow out when they find "the one"? Why is it that they are commanding partners until they find their soulmate, then suddenly what has always driven them is "cured" and they can suddenly compromise?

I like the characters and the interweaving story lines...and I devoured these books. But I don't see myself
Carisa
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Because I've read excellent stories by both authors, I was surprised at how bad this story was, from start to finish -- and the heroine's erratic behavior just dotted the i.
HERO is...not well defined.
SCENES/CONTENT: few/hot
GENRE/TONE: contemporary/drama
LENGHT: 190 pages
Donna Porter
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
this was a good romance story between Seth and Jody. this is also the second book in the compass brother series
Nicole
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really Enjoyed this one, It's fun, short, and sexy what's not to love?
Angie
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "Caught between desire and a promise…

It’s not just his jeans-tightening reaction to her all-grown-up curves. Something doesn’t feel right about her impending marriage, and he
Erika Daman
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too prideful

Seth and Jody have pride in spades, it just may lead to a sadly ever after. But Seth isn't ready to give up and maybe his crazy plan just might lead them to happy ever after.
This was a good read, funny, steamy and just enjoyable.
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Southern Comfort is book two of the Compass Brothers series from Mari Carr and Jayne Rylon, and I have got to admit, these brothers are all hot.

Seth Compton always knew he would leave his family’s Wyoming ranch for the wide-open Texas spaces. After ten years, he’s foreman on the Kirkland spread, his life is great, and that’s when the boss’ daughter comes home from college after graduation. Seth has avoided her advances for years, knowing that, at seven years his junior, she wasn’t ready for his
Oleta Blaylock
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
March 9, 2012

This was a good second story for this series. There is lots of steamy hot sex and a sexy dominant male as well as a spunky woman that will keep him on his toes. Seth and Jody are perfect for each other and once they get past him ignoring her as she grew up they made a good pair. I was glad that when Jody realized what was going on at the Compton Ranch she was supportive of Seth and help him to deal with the crushing news that he had received. I am looking forward to the next book.

Ju
Christi Snow
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
OMG! This book was sooooo good! I am LOVING this series!

Full review reposted from my blog, Smitten with Reading...

My Review:
This is book #2 of the Compass Brothers series. This book is about the 2nd oldest brother, Seth, who headed South to Texas to find is place in the world working at another family ranch. He's lived and worked there for the last 10 years, since Jody was 12 years old. Jody is the daughter of the ranch owner and she has had a crush on Seth ever since he came to work at the ran
Malinda
This was a great story. I loved Seth and Jody, they were really great together. Seth is dominant but yet so sweet... *sigh* I want a Seth of my own! Jody is spunky and smart (sometimes smart-assed) and very forceful as her personality yet her submission to Seth (only in the bedroom and not always there...) came through as believable.

Jody has loved Seth (who works for her father) since she was 12 but he never gave her any indication he wanted her, although they were always close friends. She gre
Shanyn Hosier
Definitely the most satisfying of the Compass Brothers series so far, Southern Comfort depicts the story of next-eldest Seth Compton, who struck out from his father's ranch in Wyoming eight years ago to apprentice on a Texas ranch, working his way up by the sweat of his brow rather than familial entitlement. Both his wanderlust and drive to prove himself are understandable and admirable.

Seth's characterization is emotionally rich in a way the other Compton brothers' aren't. His conflicted longin
Christine
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Seth Compton followed in his older brother's footsteps and left his home when turned 18. He went South to Texas where he became the foreman on a ranch. He instantly fell in love with his boss' daughter Jody but she was too young then so he gave her time to grow up. Now it's ten years later and Jody is a woman but she believes that Seth doesn't have the same feelings for her that she has for him. He's pushed her away for so long because she was younger that she believes a relationship is impossib ...more
HK
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
Oh man! If you think the length is in anyway a bad thing, think again! These two wonderfully talented ladies manage to put a lot in a short novella.

This is book two that focuses on Seth Compton, second oldest after Silas. I will admit that I liked Silas' book more for the intro to the family than for his story itself. But Seth's story is all about him!

Full of great characters (loved Paul) and an even better heroine to match Seth's personality. I really enjoyed getting to see the brothers' chat s
Darcy
This was a fun one to read. I loved the relationship that Seth and Jody had. I can see why Seth had to put what he wanted on hold because it would have been so inappropriate. But now with Jody grown, the 6 year age difference is nothing.

I really liked what Jody and Paul were trying to do, but hated that it was one more issue that had the potential to come between Jody and Seth. I did love how Paul encourages Seth to save Jody from herself while drinking. I thought it was funny too how Tommy enc
Smut Junkie
I loved this one! Seth is one cowboy that I'd like to...oh, well, you probably don't need to know what I'd like to do with him....this is a book review after all, but let's just say I'd be more than happy to be tied to his bed! All joking aside - what a catch! And Jody - what a spunky gal! I LOVE that she has "impertinent ways and love of four-letter words"! She is smart and sassy and has a mouth that makes me proud. I am so glad that things worked out, but I'm not going to lie, I had a little h ...more
Sassafrass
I really enjoyed this one. I loved the back and forth between Seth and Jody. LOL, just thinking about how crazy she made him has me chuckling. I love the way these alpha men envision their mates and then they find a woman that just blows that little safe picture to smithereens.

I can understand though why Seth was trying his hardest to stay away. At such a young age, their age difference really did seem bigger than it would have if they were older. I'm just glad it worked out in the end.

I really
Cindi
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Oooh I liked this one better than the 1st installment of the Compass Brothers series. Seth Compton and Jody Kirkland have some history bewteen them, sparking back to life with a vengence when she show's up back at the ranch after graduating college with her fiance Paul. Seth is not having it and although various things have kept him from Jody for the past decade he's not willing to let her marry Paul and be taken from him. Out comes Seth's dominant nature and whoo-hee is that HOT!!! There is the ...more
Shirley Hunter
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Now seth he is different to his brother Silas he's loving and knows what he wants but can't have it and he is right to wait and is very patient until him being patient turned Jody's thinking he wasn't interested and no longer wants Seth lol (the old want what you can't have) cause she is marrying someone else and then he gets I rocket shoved up his ass and does a complete psycho and goes overboard there's kidnapping, bondage, hot sweaty sex and love and then he leaves read what happens after.
so
Chalice
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, m-f, cowboy, d-s, virgin
So far, for me, this series is good, but not great. #1 was MMF (yay!) and way too much angst, while this one was M/F, fairly light D/s theme, and long denied love. There are two authors listed and the story sometimes feels like an uneven pairing of a sweet, cowboy romance with some nasty (in a good way) sex mixed in for spice. Both can be good, but they need to be blended better.

A note of warning, do not fall for one of these four brothers unless you like avoidance, like a decade or more of it,
Kaylyn
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Mari Carr and Jayne Rylon books so when I saw they started a series together I knew it was for me. Southern Comfort was a perfect addition to Northern Exposure. The web chat scene between the brothers was priceless so I'm really glad they duplicated it from Seth's point of view. Jody is a sassy headstrong girl with a love for 4 letter cuss words. Seth is dominant and loyal. They agrue and clash but it works for them. I like the humor sprinkled throughout the book. Paul was a great friend ...more
Erin
Seemed a quicker read than the first one. As in, I started reading it on my lunch break and finished reading it by 8:30pm after I got home from work. (So... read for maybe 30 minutes at lunch, then started reading it about 5:30pm)

But I actually really enjoyed it. I like Seth.

I wouldn't have minded getting kidnapped by him.

The beginning was a bit repetitive as it connected to the first book, but I think all of them will be that way.

On to the next!
Landy Jimenez
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like Jody and Paul relationship. He is a cool best friend.
Seth sweet as can be, love him.
Been this book 2 on the series you could tell it was a little better than the first one. My pet peeve, that from the prologue it had pass 10 yrs, also 10 yrs since he moved to Texas yeah doesn't add up, since he didn't moved to Texas until about a year after the events on the prologue.

**** spoilers***
Ok showing up in her wedding dress was friking hilarious.
ツ Renée
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cowboys
A good read, although I thought Jody was too immature, too childish. Oh, and bitchy. The girl really was clueless throughout the entire story. But, the sex between her and Seth was yummy, so I forgave her. Seth was dominant, sexy, and genuine. He made me laugh, he made me cry, and damn he made me hot. I liked Paul - would have liked to see more of him and Chase together. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Dar
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cowboy, 4-star-reads
Loved it, loved it, loved it!! I started this book when I couldn't get to sleep, and then proceeded to be unable to put it down, so I stayed up all night reading it and I don't regret it at all. The connection between these two is apparent from the beginning, and neither gives an inch but definitely give in to their own emotions. The scene at Compass Ranch is hilarious and touching, these two definitely have heat between them, while at the same time give you a warm glow from inside!
  • Northern Exposure (Compass Brothers, #1)
  • Hooked (Studs in Spurs #4)
  • Impact (Buckin' Bull Riders, #1)
  • Rocky Mountain Desire (Six Pack Ranch, #3)
  • A Four-Gone Conclusion (Lone Star Lovers #5)
  • Siren in Waiting (Texas Sirens, #5)
  • Kissin' Tell (Rough Riders, #13)
  • Tangled Past (Tangled #2)
Writing a book was number one on Mari Carr’s bucket list and on her thirty-fourth birthday, she set out to see that goal achieved. Five years later, her computer is jammed full of stories — novels, novellas, short stories and dead-ends and six of her books have been published.

High school librarian by day and mother of two busy teenagers, Mari Carr found time for writing by squeezing it into the ho
More about Mari Carr...

Compass Brothers (4 books)
  • Northern Exposure (Compass Brothers, #1)
  • Eastern Ambitions (Compass Brothers, #3)
  • Western Ties (Compass Brothers #4)