Start by marking “Halley's Bible Handbook with the New International Version” as Want to Read:
Halley's Bible Handbook with the New International Version

Halley's Bible Handbook with the New International Version

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  2,020 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Clear . . . Simple . . . Easy to read -- This world-renowned Bible handbook is updated and revised to provide even greater clarity, insight, and usefulness. Now with NIV text! Do you need help understanding the Bible? Halley's Bible Handbook with the New International Version makes the Bible's wisdom and message accessible to you. Whether you've never read the Bible before ...more
Hardcover
Published April 23rd 2000 by Zondervan (first published 1924)

Lillie
I didn't realize what I was getting into when I started this. I had given up secular reading for Lent and intended to read several Christian books during that time. But this overwhelmed me and kept me reading far beyond Lent. The other books I planned to read are still waiting.

Halley's Bible Handbook began in 1922 as a 16-page hand-printed pamphlet that Henry Halley gave out to encourage people to read and understand the Bible. Halley started as a clergyman but was told by his doctor that he ha
Sara
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This popped up in my Recommendations and I realized I had read it in the 80's - maybe not every word, but I used it quite a bit as a good reference.
John
Nov 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ownebook, religion
I bought this book because it was free in the Kindle store for a spell. I'm glad I didn't pay anything for it.

Overall, my problem with this book is twofold: 1) it takes an unquestioning literalist view of the entire Bible, and 2) it demonstrates a severe lack of intellectual curiosity throughout.

I maintain that the result is worse than no study guide whatsoever.

The fact that Christianity is a broad tent, and that the Bible has been read in various ways over the centuries and today, is lost to Ha
Mikey
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reference
I was disappointed with the updated version. I also have the 22nd edition published in 1959/
Orpiment99
The version of this book I am reviewing is the 24th edition, with the 28th printing in 1978.

First, the good:

1. Black-and-white photos of ruins, artifacts, and drawn maps. I know many people don't like these old layouts but I think the non-colored maps are easy to view. They are not hard on my eyes and while modern, geographical colored maps would be nice, these maps are good for general comprehension.

2. Incorporated archaeological notes and insights. While this book may be dated and it's archaeo
April Stone
Excellent book.
Wayne Walker
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Henry Hampton Halley (1874-1965) was born in Kentucky, graduated from Transylvania College and the College of the Bible in 1895, and became a minister associated with Christian Churches in 1898. When he presented his well known “Bible Recitals” in which he quoted lengthy portions of Scripture and explained them, he would first reveal the historical background and contextual information of each passage. People began asking him for some of this information, so he decided to write his own introduct ...more
Adam Balshan
3 stars [Literary]
Writing: 2.5; Use: 3.5; Truth: 2.5-3.

This is an updated version of the first Bible handbook ever published, by a man who loved the Word of God and wanted others to read it more. It is 1,056 pages of high-gloss pages, including good-resolution pictures of objects of art, geographical features, buildings, manuscripts, etc. In addition to relaying material on the Bible book-by-book, it has background information and supplementary information taking up about 175 pages.

After surveyi
Marian Brown
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Marian by: 21st Century Christian Booksellers
I have been reading this book all summer. I agree with Mr. Halley that every well educated person should study the Bible on a regular basis. Just the history that is taught in the Bible is a great study in itself. The way that the author writes gives me the feeling that he is talking in a down to earth friendly way about this fabulous piece of literature. He gives Christians a picture of what the Bible is about from start to finish so that we can see the whole picture of why things happened the ...more
Kathleen Dixon
I can see how this book made it into my 100 Christian Books That Changed the Century list. It seems extraordinarily comprehensive and authoritative, and it prefaces itself with "the Bible is the inerring Word of God."

I have to say I'm very pleased that I re-read my beginnings of the "100 Christian Books ...." challenge, and I didn't say I'd actually READ every page of every book. So I wasn't cheating when I whipped through this at a breakneck scan.
Peter
While not nearly comprehensive, this Bible Handbook is a fantastic touchpoint for historical and archaeological information pertaining to the Bible. It can be a great resource for those looking to expand their contextual knowledge of many New and Old Testament scriptures, and also for those interested in history. Each book of the Bible is covered with contextual information, interpretive insights and swathes of factual background. I use it fairly frequently.
Matthew
May 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I used to love this handbook but I've since found better ones (baker illustrated) and since finding a better one this sits on the shelf more and more. Often it's very brief contextual and even historical background compared to the Baker is illustrated handbook I have. I still like it better than other handbooks I've looked at so I say it's a three star review.
Linda
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I learned about who was believed to author the gospels and the rest of the new testament. This is a great reference book that descries the modern day area of the land where the disciples and Jesus lived. Plenty of histoy is included in this author's writing. I will use this book more than once and I am glad to have a copy of it when I have questions.
Dante Ferrigno
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dante by: Terry Dickie
Really it's not bad, though three stars makes it look so, it's just that Unger's Bible Handbook is so much better. I was going to give it 2 stars because "It was OK" better describes my thoughts on the book than "I liked it" which is what 3 stars stands for, but 2 stars just makes it look worse than my true opinion of the book.
Becky
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't yet completely read it cover to cover but It is a " must have"in Bible study . Along with a good Bible dictionary and an exhaustive concordance. Also a good Bible Atlas is helpful I do wish I had one of those
Dave Jones
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, bible
Supposedly this is taught in seminary courses. I was not overly impressed. So-so survey of the bible but not an overly scholarly treatment. I don't understand why this book is as popular as it its.
Charlotte Fairchild
This was the first commentary I ever read. It was a birthday present for my birthday. I learned quite a bit about the archaeology being done to understand the Bible better that was included in this book. I still have my copy.
Royce Ratterman
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Most books are rated related to their usefulness and contributions to my research.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Rhonda DiGenova
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was on my pastor's "Book of the Month" list on time, and I've really enjoyed learning context, history, customs, geography and more in this compact little treasure!
James
Jun 13, 2013 added it
Shelves: bible-reference
good overview
Ed
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can i read this book?for free. Can anyone help me please,!
Katherine
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent source for help or interpretations of biblical passages.
Kevin
Jul 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when i was in middle school...not worth your time.
Rick
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The issue for me is that this is a bit too concise. It does provide a broad outline of the biblical storyline, but you will need something more comprehensive for any details.
Kimberly McRae
A good book by book synopsis of the topical information contained in the Bible.
Kev Chambers
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the most important chapter of this book
Chris
Oct 07, 2009 is currently reading it
Awsome historical account of the Bible!
Raesdaze
Classic reference book.
  • The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words: With Topical Index
  • Zondervan Handbook to the Bible
  • Nave's Topical Bible
  • Be Wise: 1 Corinthians: Discern the Difference Between Man's Knowledge and God's Wisdom (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Life Lessons with Max Lucado: Book Of Acts
  • The Book of the Acts
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
  • Jewish New Testament Commentary: A Companion Volume to the Jewish New Testament
  • The Bible Answer Book
  • Where To Find It In The Bible The Ultimate A To Z Resource Series
  • Evangelical Dictionary of Theology
Dr. Henry H. Halley was a well-respected author, minister, and Bible lecturer, dedicating his life to spreading his passion for Bible study and memorization. The original "Halley's Bible Handbook" grew from small pamphlets about the Bible that he gave away to encourage churches and individuals in Bible study.
More about Henry H. Halley...
“He died for us. He has forgiven us. He has given Himself to us in the person of His Spirit. If we are His, no power on earth or in heaven or in hell can prevent His bringing us to Himself in the eternal presence of God.” 0 likes
“El sumo sacerdote Ananías, juntamente con los escribas y fariseos, convocaron al Sanedrín alrededor del año 62 d.C. (posiblemente en el 66 d.C.), y ordenaron a Santiago, «el hermano de Jesús a quien llamaban Cristo", que proclamase desde una de las galerías del templo que Jesús no era el Mesías. En vez de eso, Santiago clamó que Jesús era el Hijo de Dios y el Juez del mundo.” 0 likes