Start by marking “Handcuffs and Megabytes (Rawlings Men, #7)” as Want to Read:
Handcuffs and Megabytes (Rawlings Men, #7)

Handcuffs and Megabytes (Rawlings Men #7)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  519 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Mike Shane’s an old fashioned kind of cop. To his mind, police work should be all about pounding the pavements, interrogating suspects and following leads. It should not involve hours spent sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen. When he’s seconded to a computer crimes task force, he’s dreading spending all his time surrounded by computers and computer geeks.

Carl R
Published (first published April 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Handcuffs and Megabytes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handcuffs and Megabytes

Andries Burger
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rawlings men,... what a nice premise. Reminds me of the saying 'Fiction has one thing over reality, fiction has to make sense'. If only these books were a little longer, had more substance... there is so much that can be done with these characters, you kind of want to drag the author through at least a week, even a month of trials and tribulations with these characters. The sub in this particular story has so much potential to wreck havoc in the doms life, that it's a pitty it wasn't taken full ...more
A.B. Gayle
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm
On re-reading this I upped the stars. I like the fact that in this story, the trappings of BDSM are discarded in favor of the principles underlying them.

This book probably more than any others showed me the reason some people need the pain of BDSM. For many, the rest of their life is full of intangible stresses that they have difficulty dealing with. Any sign of weakness in the face of problems is frowned upon by society, their work environment or even themselves. Yet, when physical pain surmoun
Serena Yates
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
Yet another great addition to the series, this one focuses on the need to dominate and submit to get away from your job. I thought it was fascinating how both Mike and Carl have the same problem - a demanding job and horrors from their cases that tend to stay with them even after hours. But where the solution and way to get away from it all for Mike is to dominate and control his partner, the opposite is true for Carl.

Carl feels safe and happy when he doesn't need to think, doesn't need to prove
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I liked this one but not as much as the others in the series. For some reason I couldn't connect with Mike or Carl as much as I would've liked to. However, I loved how Mike chose to handle Carl and his weapon of choice when he got Carl finally handcuffed. That was seriously hot. With this one, though, I felt like I needed more from Carl and Mike than just what they gave. The ending was sweet which left me with a bit of a smile :)
Julia
Had a few moments, but overall I found it a little light and the BDSM was a bit fluffy. I liked Carl as a character, but wasn't really feeling Mike. Although I have read books where I the insta-relationship worked, it is really hard to execute believably with books of this length.
Chris
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, bdsm, 2011, ebook
Very good kinky short m/m romance about a brash young computer geek who'd like to dabble in dominance with the older cop to whom he's supposed to demonstrate a computer program.
Ava
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tattoos, piercings...yum :) Really enjoyed this one.
Kimberly
My review cross-posted from Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

Detective Inspector Mike Shane is an old-fashioned cop who doesn’t understand – and doesn’t care to understand – the latest and greatest technological developments. Unfortunately for Mike, he’s required to learn how to use the department’s newest software, which means he has to have lessons from computer geek Carl Rawlings. While Mike may have no interest in technology, he is fascinated by gorgeous goth boy Ca
Tyra Berger
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Carl's job can really get to him sometimes, the horrors he see while working with the Computer Crimes division is sometimes more than he can take. He is looking for someone to help him forget if even for a little while.

Mike is a no non-sense Dom who thinks this computer nerd with the goth look is a brat waiting to be brought to heel. And he is just the Dom to do it.

In this seventh installment in the Rawlings Men series, Kim Dare explores the need to dominate and submit due to work related stre
Carole-Ann
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover is simply drool-licious and represents Mike and Carl superbly.

Carl is a computer geek called in to train Mike on their new police software, but that doesn't stop them from being immediately attracted to each other. Mike is a Dom with a sense of humour, but sees Carl as a wannabe Goth brat. Their repartee is brilliant - "The only thing I'd ever want to do with a brat like you, is bring you to heel and teach you some respect" says Mike - and that sets the tenor for their relationship.

I l
Phaney
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
2015 Re-read:

Once again things started up fairly fast. In this case I liked the fact that these two seemed to fulfil each other’s needs so nicely, even though at least Carl hadn’t really been Mike’s type initially.

Or such a short story, the conclusion felt comforting. I guess it helps to know that all the couples in this series will be staying together forever after their depicted beginnings. :P

2012 Review:

It did not start out very promising, with Mike being gruff and judgemental and Carl seemin
Adara
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one a lot better than the last one. I think it's because the emotion of the moment came across better from Carl's perspective at the end and I really felt like I was inside his head and understood his need in submission.

I have found it sort of amusing that they've all fallen so hard so fast -become so quickly possessive- but then when you have stories this short, they have to if you're attempting to present a more HEA than HFN. I really enjoyed this one.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Another tasty one from Ms. Dare. This one in the form of a goth boy who is also a computer geek. Do I remember the names of the two guys? Um, no. But I know there is another submissive rawlings and he's young, sexy and so sweet. I liked it. This is like candy to me. I just can't stop eating this up.
Wendy Ann
This is probably my favorite cover of the series. I could stare at it all day long! I could also re-read that first scene between Mike and Carl over and over. Talk about smokin’ hot – whew! I felt an affinity with Carl’s character; computer geek, tats, submissive tendencies – a male me (okay, wishful thinking but makes me smile)! Really enjoyed this one:)
Heller
Very short D/s erotica. First night together of a younger computer crimes officer and an older Detective Sergeant. Not a lot of substance but fun.
Sue bowdley
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: male-male, favourites
Loved this....This is the fourth time i'm reading The Rawlings Men and have just ordered them in paperback...can't get enough of them and this one is amazing Carl was so sweet x
Izzah Zulaikha
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Carl Rawlings and Mike Shane...
Another couple that I'm loving!
Embry Carlysle
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was my first book by Kim now I need to go back and start from the beginning......loved it!!!
Dark Divas
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Handcuffs and Megabytes, Kim Dare is once again at her best with the Rawlings boys. Read more...http://www.darkdivasreviews.com/?p=5604
Clover
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, contemporary, bdsm
really good bdsm story with cops.
Interrupted Reader
Mike and Carl. Loved this one. Great chemistry, perfectly matched characters. Appropriate emotional depth to make this believable and enjoyable.
A-, definite reread
Sandra
I enjoyed this, and I think I would have given it a solid 4 stars if it had been about three times as long. These are supposed to be shorts/novellas, and that's fine, I loved Handcuffs and Glory Holes. But the length affected this book negatively both at the beginning and at the end.

Initially, these two jumped into a BDSM relationship WAY too quick. I'm fine with quickie erotica, but the type of BDSM bond they were looking for takes a little more connection, and it was just way too early for me
Jimmy Hanson
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2011, bdsm
One of the better Rawlings Men shorts; I wasn't fond of the 20-yr age gap between them, but with Mike's extensive knowledge and Carl's perceived naivety regarding the BDSM scene, it kind of fit. I liked how Mike explained the scene to be - how different he made it, compared to nearly every other joe-shmoe who likes to be in charge.

Too often the Rawlings Men stories kind of fall flat with me. Thankfully, this one was better than a lot of the others in how the connections are viewed, and most espe
Debbie Benson
Carl makes a pass at Mike when he comes to learn the new program. Mike warns him that a true dom and sub relationships is not role play. After Carl is called away to deal with another case and Mike sees his reaction, he offers Carl a chance to satisfy his curiosity about Dob/sub relations. After an intense scene he sends Carl away to think if that is what he wants. Carl eventually seeks him and consents to be Mike's sub.
Matthew
I really liked the cover photo.

Other than that, I didn't find too much to love about this story. The goth boy who comes with his own collar (that had to be returned - the collar, not the boy) was a cute idea.

The use of clothespins was fun, especially as it was described from the perspective of the blindfolded boy.

But not my favorite story... in the actual story, I couldn't really picture the sub.
Nicole
May 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read these short stories by Kim Dare mostly because I was feeling obsessive about reading her back list. I'm not sure it was worth the time reading them. While the writing was good, the stories were too short to leave a satisfied feeling for me. Also, I thought the titles were really, really bad.
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★☆☆

This was a shorty - enough for Carl and Mike to meet and have an instant attraction. I think Carl is going to shake up older Mike's world and Mike will give Carl the balance he's been searching for.

Will look into more of this series.
Lee Brazil
My first Rawlings book. Obviously read out of order. Good enough to send me off to buy the others, but not entirely satisfactory in and of itself. I want the story to go on. I kind of want to know about the case that was making the young tech guy sick.
Serena
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-mm
My Rating System:

Katy Beth Mckee
Actually a 3.5 ---
Mike and Carl are so cute. This is story where the adage opposites attract really hold true. And although it seems the action happened kind of quickly the way the really connect at work makes it seem natural and Carl is really getting what he needs.
  • Christmas Auction
  • Bondage (Deviations, #4)
  • Balls & Chain (Balls to the Wall #2)
  • Sins of the Father (Angel and the Assassin, #3)
  • Bound Forever
  • Be My Boy
  • Finders, Keepers (Tales from Rainbow Alley, #2)
  • Wooing Master Jones (BDSM Club #1)
  • Master Class (Master Class, #1)
Kim is a thirty-three year old bisexual submissive from Wales (UK). First published in 2008, she has since released almost 100 BDSM erotic romance titles ranging from short stories to full length novels. Having worked with a host of fantastic e-publishers, she has just moved into self publishing.

While she has occasionally ventured towards other pairings, Kim's first love is still, and probably alw
More about Kim Dare...

Rawlings Men (8 books)
  • Handcuffs and Leather (Rawlings Men #1)
  • Handcuffs and Glory Holes (Rawlings Men #2)
  • Handcuffs and Headlocks (Rawlings Men #3)
  • Handcuffs and Trouble (Rawlings Men #4)
  • Handcuffs and Spreader Bars (Rawlings Men #5)
  • Handcuffs and Ball Gags (Rawlings Men #6)
  • Handcuffs and Pretty Things (Rawlings Men #8)

“There are some things you can’t learn about just through words. There are some things you can’t really understand until you’re living them.” 2 likes