Start by marking “Gladius and the Bartlett Trial (The Gladius Adventure Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gladius and the Bartlett Trial (The Gladius Adventure Series, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Gladius and the Bartlett Trial

(The Gladius Adventure Series #1)

When fifteen year-old Gladius Oldmont is thrust from his peaceful home into the dangerous Longwood Forest he finds himself pitted against a tyrant who has been terrorizing the lands in search of answers to an ancient secret that could unlock absolute power.
From the shadows of Longwood Forest to the Hills of the Moon, Gladius must survive encounters with a near extinct scim
Nook, 296 pages
Published April 9th 2011 by J.A.Paul (first published April 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Gladius and the Bartlett Trial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gladius and the Bartlett Trial

Start your review of Gladius and the Bartlett Trial (The Gladius Adventure Series, #1)
Carmen
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dragons and Trolls and magic. Not writing too much on this, its for the younger readers or teens and I think they would probably enjoy it, maybe get a life lesson or two out of it.
Ryan Mueller
This book was enjoyable enough, but nothing special. I liked the story, but I found the writing failed the story in some places. It might work better for younger audiences. Usually, I love middle grade fantasy. This one was just okay, though.

I may read more in the series because the author shows some promise at telling a story, mostly through keeping the pace going. I also think the characters will appeal to middle grade audiences.

My biggest issue reading this was that I found quite a few minor
Solace Winter
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
For the record, this review is wrought with spoilers.

I sincerely debated giving this novel one star on the principle that I was forcing my way through to the end, but Paul knows how to write a sentence, he just didn’t catch the flow on how to tell a story. All of the reviews tell me this novel is written for young boys, but honestly, what age group? This novel is a mish-mash of wanting to be more adult and acting entirely too childish. “No, this character can’t die like this,” “No, let’s wait f
Allizabeth Collins
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Description:
Gladius and the Bartlet Trial is the tale of fifteen year old Gladius Oldmont's epic adventure into adulthood. The Bartlett Trial is a journey that all Wiggins must complete at the age of fifteen in order to be considered an adult. So Gladius, filled with his father's stories, believes he is ready to journey into the Longwood Forest and become a legend in his 17th century village and beyond. Besides the usual stresses of the trial, Gladius is also being relied on to win prize money
carole
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gladius and the Bartlett Trial is a story about so many things and mainly it's a quest for our main characters. You find yourself holding your breath when things go wrong and smiling at the silly humor throughout. It is captivating and such a fun read for the entire family. It's the type of story different people will like for different reasons, there are so many rich elements that make it timeless and addicting.

Gladius is brilliant, at 15 he goes on an adventure during his Bartlett trial to hel
Maria
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gladius and the Bartlett Trial is a fun and engaging story that kids, teenagers, and adults will love. It's full of action right from the get-go and hardly lets you take a breath. That's a good thing, especially for kids who may tend to get bored quickly with reading, this book should keep them entranced.

The characters are intriguing. Gladius is a wonderful young hero that grows in maturity as the story progresses. Elle is the strong female there to keep him in line with her witty repartee. I ab
Reading Teen
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gladius and the Bartlett Trial is a great fantasy book. With so many imaginative and creative elements to it, it made for a very entertaining read. Although the genre is a bit of what I associate with "generic fantasy" - something that started with Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia and was carried on by many authors - it still held a uniqueness that I really enjoyed.

This book was greatly written, with wording that never left me bored. I really wanted to know this book. It was a grea
L.L. Helland
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Gladius and the Bartlett Trial by JA Paul. I loved the book with the exception of the death of the cat like creature in the beginning. I'm a huge cat lover, and therefore the four star rating. This book is MG which when one considers the target audience it is spot on. Once Flint and Gladius meet up with Elle-she adds the endearing quality to the story-the book gets even better. I thought all the characters were very creative. I'd read another book by this author, and to think he started this bo ...more
S.W.
Dec 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, middle-grade
This book has been living in my Kindle app for ages. From memory, it was the amazing cover (which I love) that caught my initial attention, and it finally made its way to the top of my reading list last month. Gladius is a coming of age story set in a fantasy world that is abound with magical creatures, dragons, and an evil tyrant, Mulhurt.

Gladius embarks on a journey of tradition, where he must endure a month in the forest to mark the milestone of moving from childhood into adulthood. His time
Brenda .
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had promise but for me the writing was something else. Great premise and idea but delivery was not ideal. I don't know how many times I read a line in the book that said 'Oh never mind that for now' like a classic misdirection. Some of the dialogue was just cheesy and very stilted. Not well written at all. But that being said I am reading the second in the series. I got the first 2 or 3 for free so since I didn't pay for it I guess OK. ...more
Lisa
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a mother of a 14 year old boy about to be 15 I could see my son as Gladuis in this wonderful story about a boy and his struggles to become a man.
Alicia
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much going on with virtually no character development. It was a struggle to finish.
Linda
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I loved the Fablehaven series and this series is off to a great start! It was great! Can’t wait for the next one
Shawn Robinson
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun book! Thanks so much. I enjoyed reading this!
Christine Butler
I love reviewing all different kinds of books, and while I loose myself in them, I have to say I also enjoy getting to know some of the authors who contribute to those pages. I had the pleasure of corresponding back and forth a bit with J.A. Paul before I ever read his book. I liked him right from the start and had a feeling his writing style would be just as engaging. He did not disappoint me!

Gladius and the Bartlet Trial is the perfect story for middle school aged children through adults who a
Jessica Bronder
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gladius is 15 and ready to take his Bartlett Trial, he will be spending one month in the Longwood Forest. His father and brother have huge adventure stories from their Bartlett Trial so Gladius is going to try and out do their stories. He also wants to win some money to help pay the taxes on the farm.

As Gladius starts he adventures, he runs into several different creatures, meets some great friends, and decides if he is going to help fight the people fight the tyrant Mulhurt who is intent on tak
Rosemary Cantrell
This is a youth fiction book, set in a different time and place with strange creatures and mystical powers all around. I think it is the kind of book that young people, especially boys, would love. It is not quite so much what I enjoy.

Gladius enters the forest to survive for a month on a trial for manhood. Along the way, he meets others who are rebelling against the evil ruler. He gets drawn in and commits to helping them. The good part of the character is the maturity that develops as he faces
K.D
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Now that I have read this book, I want to kick myself for taking so long to pick it up.

Gladius and the Bartlett Trial is a wonderful novel. It follows the journey of 15 year old Gladius Oldmont as he faces the challenging Bartlett Trails to achieve his place in adulthood. Paul brings forth elements of hardship, family obligation, and romance while still maintaining a heavy pulse of adventure throughout the novel.

I was very impressed with the writing. It was sophisticated and eloquent yet easy to
L.J. Capehart
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! This is a fun adventure, told well. The characters are well developed, I think, and the descriptions are good. During the climactic scene near the end, I felt almost as if I was there. The ending itself was quite satisfying for me, and I enjoyed the whole thing very much. I fully intend to read book two of Gladius' adventures, wanting to continue the fun!
I was given a copy of this in exchange for my honest review.
Paula de Santana
This is a magical story and it is essentially a children's book. I can see the boys loving this one! But don't worry, any girl with a sense of adventure and a little thing for romance will also like it. There is a magical "storytelling" quality to it. You could imagine sitting around a fire in a campsite telling this story to a group of children.

Read the full review here: http://bit.ly/jis86x
Tia
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this through the Goodreads First Read giveaways. Its an adventure story with dragons and kings and giant day bats. Aimed at a younger reader this book would be great for children 8-12. A decent read and general all round bit of fun. Four stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Crystal Hutchinson
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I believe this style of writing is similar to Christopher Paolini and T.A. Barron. Fast Paced and well written, I read two books in this series and know this is a definite adventure book for boys. Girls will enjoy them as well, but the genre is fitting for reluctant boy readers.
Christen
A coming of age magical adventure story with an interesting setting and reasonable characters. To be honest, I struggled through this one. It was hard for me to get invested in the plot and the writing was a little less subtle than my preference.
Heather
Brownie
Jan 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• The One and Only Bob
  • Intangible (Piercing the Veil, #1)
  • The Mage & the Magpie (Magemother, #1)
  • Unbirthday
  • The Mark of Athena Excerpt
  • Sons of Anarchy: Bratva
  • Gregory and the Grimbockle
  • The Lodestone
  • The Secret Library Collection (The Secret Library #1-3)
  • The Time Hunters (Time Hunters, #1)
  • Unofficial Detective (Half-Wizard Thordric Book 1)
  • The Unteachables
  • Amplified (Amplified, #1)
  • Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)
  • Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4)
  • Trapped (The Prometheus Project, #1)
  • This World We Live In (Last Survivors, #3)
  • The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2)
All my life I have loved stories, whether told to me as I sat on my grandfather's lap or the one's I later discovered in my school's library. So naturally I started writing short stories and have ever since been learning and developing the craft of writing and storytelling.

One night after a long bedtime story, one of my sons challenged me to write a 'real' book. So I borrowed an idea from a writer

The Gladius Adventure Series (3 books)
  • Gladius and the Sea of Lost Souls (The Gladius Adventure Series, #2)
  • The Race (The Gladius Adventure Series)