Start by marking “Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science” as Want to Read:
Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science

Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  1,512 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Concrete Mathematics is a blending of CONtinuous and disCRETE mathematics. "More concretely," the authors explain, "it is the controlled manipulation of mathematical formulas, using a collection of techniques for solving problems."
Hardcover, Second Edition, 672 pages
Published March 10th 1994 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Concrete Mathematics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Concrete Mathematics

Kevin K. Gillette
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had the great fortune to take this course at Stanford from Ron Graham, with Oren Patashnik as my TA, and we used Don Knuth's "Art Of Computer Programming: Vol. 1 - Fundamental Algorithms" as our textbook. All of the course notes and problem set solutions were written up using TEX. It didn't get any better than that! When I saw that this book had been released, I rushed to my nearest technical bookstore to buy it. It's every bit as fun and whimsical as the class was, but it is by no means any s ...more
Thore Husfeldt
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly well written, utterly idiosyncratic, and remarkably useless. Somewhere between masterpiece and complete failure. I love every comma of it.
Joshua
Dec 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
I'm still working my way through this book -- it's supposed to be a precursor to the Art of Computer Programming, to give you the math foundation you need. The explanations are clear and the exercises are great.
Stefano Finazzo
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Apredendo a contar e a somar - como gente grande.

O livro do Knuth é um manual de técnicas para lidar com recorrências, somas e problemas de contagens. É como os manuais de métodos matemáticos para físicos, numa versão para cientistas da computação. O pragmatismo é mais importante que o rigor. Para Knuth, o foco está em desenvolver heurísticas e solucionar problemas.

É uma leitura bacanésima; muitos problemas são de arrepiar os cabelos, mas as soluções são elegantes e poderosas. E o texto é rechea
Paul Floyd
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first three chapters were OK, but by the time I got to hypergeometric generating functions I was feeling a bit out of my depth. The last couple of chapters on probability and asymptotics were a bit easier to follow.
Joe Cole
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really recommend this book. It simply teaches you how to think in a simple way without complex unproven theorems. This book is really challenging and provides the reader all the tools he will need to enjoy learning the topics presented.
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, wonderful exploration of a mathematical system that according to its authors is a blend of "continuous and discreet mathematics". It also forms a foundation to understand Donald Knuth's epic exploration of algorithms, the seven-books series on the "Art of Computer Programming". Like with all the books by Knuth, if the reader is able to find an error which is "technically, historically, typographically, or politically incorrect", he/she will be rewarded with 2.56 US dollars, which ac ...more
Jeff Rogers
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good book. I haven't read the whole thing, but have read a number of the sections that were of particular interest to me (especially the chapter on generating functions). It's worth noting that this is a challenging book and if you haven't had some exposure to mathematics before and developed some degree of mathematical maturity you'll likely find this book too hard and trying to work through it discouraging. I first took a look at it in high school, couldn't make much progress, and put it ...more
Avinash K
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-sci
Really good! Well written. But really, a very good text book. If you don't want to solve the exercises (at least 40% what is called the Warm Ups and The Basics) you are better of with a book meant for popular reading. If you would like to solve the exercises, then here's to many a rainy Sunday afternoons!
Peb
Dec 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
buku yang menyenangkan, terutama bwt gw yang rada alergi sama matematik. cara penyampaiannya seperti ngobrol santai tapi sambil mengajarkan pola pikir kreatif ttg problem solving dengan matematika. buku pertama yang bikin gw ketawa sambil baca buku teks.. :D

learning math would never be this fun..
Tomasz
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good source of condensed knowledge on topic. While the book feels quite heavy (both physically and experience-wise), I refuse to believe this material could have been presented in a more accessible way.
Bishu
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading it as a reference. Very well written. I mean, Donald Knuth is by far the most amazing computer scientist in my mind so considering I am such a huge fanboi of his work, I HAD to read this to refresh my math. Awesome stuff.
Maurizio Codogno
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, finished
È un libro di testo, per quanto possa esserlo un libro in cui DEK è uno degli autori. Però il modo in cui ti insegna a trovare il risultato in somma chiusa delle sommatorie è favoloso... anche se dopo i primi capitoli bisogna togliersi dalla testa di riuscire a leggerlo e capirlo al volo.
Gary
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics
Of course I barely scraped the surface of all that this book contains. I did find an error and wrote to the authors and received a reply from Knuth and Ron Graham, but didn't get a cheque for $2.56 as they already knew about it.
Siam Ramasamy
Aug 24, 2014 is currently reading it
Shelves: computer
Now starting
Ayush Bhat
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Concrete Math book from the God Himself.
Volodymyr
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This great classical book gives very strong mathematical foundation for computer programming and algorithms, showing how to solve complex problems in a mathematical way
Rodrigo Rivera
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best CS math books available. 20 years later it is still current. A must for any CS student.
Nick Black
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best overall set of discrete exercises I've ever seen, well worth the price of admission alone.
Damir
  • Proofs from THE BOOK
  • The Algorithm Design Manual
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • Types and Programming Languages
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • The Princeton Companion to Mathematics
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Conceptual Mathematics: A First Introduction To Categories
  • The Elements of Statistical Learning: Data Mining, Inference, and Prediction
  • Computational Complexity
  • Introduction to Algorithms
  • Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common LISP
  • The Annotated Turing: A Guided Tour Through Alan Turing's Historic Paper on Computability and the Turing Machine
  • Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »