Start by marking “Chilly Milly Moo” as Want to Read:
Chilly Milly Moo

Chilly Milly Moo

As a quirky cow discovers, when life gives you a penchant for cold, make . . . something delicious! A comical ode to individuality from a new talent.

Milly Moo wants only one thing: to churn out the finest, tastiest, creamiest milk around. But there's just one problem. She's always too hot! While all the other cows snicker and bask in the sun, Milly Moo's milk bucket keep
Published October 25th 2011 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Chilly Milly Moo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chilly Milly Moo

Start your review of Chilly Milly Moo
Michelle Gray
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It gave me such a giggle. I laughed aloud. Very cute. :)
Meredith
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Milly Moo feels too overheated to make milk much to her dismay as well as that of the farmer and other cows. However, once winter arrives, Milly finally feels the right temperature and discovers that instead of making milk, (view spoiler)
Sinthia Burgos
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-confidence
Chilly Milly can’t make milk and she doesn’t know why. This situation doesn’t stop her from being different.This book teaches that being yourself can make us happy. I didn’t like the way the words were positioned, it makes it hard to read. This book would be great for children who can already read.
Great for asking questions and creating small talk.
Lana
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming
This book has the whimsical story with fantastic illustration. I want to use this book to teach the children individuality. This book uses the vocabulary such as finest, loveliest, tastiest, creamiest, coldest, chilliest, frostiest and iciest. Those words help the children's usage of comparison in more than two.
Lauren  Riviere
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-class
Cute story about cows that can't produce milk in different seasons. The main cow that is wearing winter garb that can't produce milk in the summer but in the winter when the other cows can't the main cow surprisingly makes ice cream.
Syntha Green
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun story about a cow who isn't giving milk
Amanda
Not a good storytime book, but funny. This would work great in a classroom where the students are studying food chains, or where food comes from.
Amita Singh
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has simple illustrations and can serve well for scow or ice-cream themed story time. I can see this book being more suited for one-on-one reading and so much for group setting.
L.H. Johnson
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chilly Milly Moo is one of those books that took me by surprise. With a distinct artistic style, both in palette and use of line, coupled with a pleasing story about accepting difference, it's a pretty unusual book.

Chilly Milly Moo is the story of Milly - a cow who can't produce milk. We eventually learn that she does have her own special skills that make her pretty damn cool (no pun intended) to have around. There's an allusion to bullying (there's a crowd of three "normal" cows tha
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time-pick
I recently read this mad cow caper to a group of 30 kids who LOL-ed at all the right places! Milly is a cow. But she’s not your average cow. Milly is different. Little does she know that her unique ability will make her the envy of all the other cows on the farm.
It’s hot on the farm, and all of the other cows enjoy basking in the sun. Milly, in her snow cap and boots, cannot give milk because she is too hot. She has one last chance to give milk before the farmer sends her away. The other
Shelli
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Me: "Don't judge this book by the cover. you never know if could be the best book you have ever read."
My Daughter: "I doubt that highly." (love her!!)

So no this was not the best picture book ever. That title still remains with Berekely Breathed's amazing book Mar's Needs Mom's. However, my daughter had to eat her words because she laughed out loud at several point in the sharing of this story.

Chilly Milly is not like the other cows. She is unhappy, but can't exactly say w
Barbara
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Poor Milly just can't produce any milk because she's too hot. The farmer gets ready to get rid of her and the other cows tease her, but when cold weather hits, Milly comes into her own and produces ice cream. Although the digital illustrations--I love Milly's boots!--are creative and interesting, young readers will need to be guided to read them across the bricks in the barn wall and by turning the book in order to read the words across the barn floor. My favorite illustration shows the farmer f ...more
Angee
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I have never seen a sadder cow than poor, miserable Milly Moo. This book was so much fun to read (I gave everyone a strong, northern accent and Milly has operatic undertones to her voice!) and the surprising experience everyone has when Milly Moo finally reaches a comfortable temperature has everyone laughing (notice the mouse running off on the page after the farmer milks Milly). The preschoolers enjoyed repeating several fun words, including, "Diddly-squat!" A fun way to show that we can all b ...more
Library Quine
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are funny and quirky, but I didn't like the story much, and I'm just not sure that it has much child appeal. It seems that Milly the cow cannot make milk in warm weather like the other cows. she begins to wonder what will happen to her if her yield stays low. Fortunately, for her, the weather gets colder, and the yield form the other cows is reduced, but Milly produces something even better than milk! An odd story.
Carly Reighard
What a pleasant surprise! I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

In this story, Milly the cow is criticized by the other cows because she can't produce milk when it is hot outside. The farmer tells her that if she doesn't make milk soon, he'll have to send her away. I finished reading this book with a large smile on my face. What a treat!

Additionally, the illustrations are beautiful. And I love the layout of the book. It's very unique.
Elaine
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Illustrations are soft and make me think of a fuzzy blanket and have a wood-cut quality. space ration between pictures and words is good and font and layout is easy to read. The words describe the sounds perfectly and bring the story to life. Book teaches how we are all special and unique in our differences. Love it!
carissa
"While the other cows are enjoying the sun and making plenty of milk, Milly Moo is too hot to make a drop but when the temperature falls, Milly Moo shows the farmer and the rest of the herd what she can do."

This book would be okay for one-on-one reading, but it wouldn't work too well for a larger group because the pictures are dark and some of the text is printed in odd ways.
Heidi-Marie
Well, that was interesting. The layout of some of the illustrations make this one a difficult choice for storytime--preschool or school-age. A school-age may enjoy a lap-read, probably love a read-alone so they can enjoy the pictures more thoroughly. Not quite my book, but I can see a bunch of kids loving this.
Julie Esanu
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
Millie the cow Is despondent because she's too hot to make milk. The farmer and other cows don't make her life any easier as they tease and taunt her. After a big storm brings cooler temperature Millie finally makes the best milk product of all--ice cream. This book celebrates that we are all different and special in our own way.
Arlen
Milly Moo is too hot to make milk. Her sister cows are all making fun of her and the farmer is telling her if she can't make milk, she can't stay on the farm. A cold snap finally arrives and everyone's astounded at the result. Lovely fun.
T Crockett
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I've seen this amuse readers from ages 2 to 8 and 38. Great illustrations. The words are mixed in with the pictures in a fun way. And the surprise at the end was still on the mind of the 4 year old in my life days later.

It's also one of those books that is a pleasure to read aloud.
Larecia
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
About a cow that is always hot and does not produce milk. However once the weather gets cold on the farm the cow produces ice cream! The other cows are jealous of Milly the ice cream cow, but she reminds them that they are all special in their own way.
Kim Patton
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Milly Moo wants to make milk like the other cows, but its just too hot for her. The farmer is about to get rid of her because she must make milk, but when the weather turns cold, Milly proves being different from the others isn't always a bad thing! Very cool illustrations and a good story.
The Library Lady
Dec 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
All the reviews tout this for its embrace of the concept of "different is good" but here it feels WRONG. This somehow just creeps me out. Artwork is cute but it's not enough to make up for the story!
Elisabeth
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Too much fun! I chuckled at the text but then I took a closer look at the illustrations and laughed aloud. The placement of the text was awesome too (the best was across the farmer's rear end as he milked her). I would pair this with "Spoon" by Amy Krause Rosenthal
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: seasons, farm
This would make a great choice to share during a farm-themed storytime, and it's different from the usual "mixed-up animal sounds" picture books we usually find. Very cute pictures--I especially like the one of Chilly Milly on the dessert island.
Stefani
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-picture
I loved, loved, loved these illustrations. The words incorporated into the pictures were fun, although sometimes confusion. The ending disturbed me, but I think kids will think it's hilarious. Perfect for when the weather turns cold.
Sarai
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because I loved the cover art work. It's a pretty simple story about a cow who can't give milk. At the end of the book we learn that we are all special in different ways! Love the illustrations.
Korinne Sackela
Aug 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
The story line was super fun and I think in front of a class, it would be fun to read and watch the kids analyze the awesome illustrations. However, for the age level that it's meant for, I think a child would struggle to follow along with the word placement.
Belinda Booth
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
In the opening spread, Milly Moo complains she's hot. Of course she's hot--it's warm and sunny outside, and she's wearing a knit hat and boots. And the farmer's beard looks as though he's wearing little sausages hanging from his chin.

How can it be too hot to make milk?
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Napping House
  • Hooray for Hat!
  • Mighty, Mighty Construction Site
  • Three Cheers for Tacky
  • Just Me in the Tub (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Yo! Yes?
  • A Greyhound, A Groundhog
  • Brave Bear (Cat's Whiskers)
  • Stallion by Starlight (Magic Tree House, #49)
  • Pine & Boof: The Lucky Leaf
1 follower
Fiona Ross has worked as a freelance concept artist in film and television, designing and developing sets, props, characters, and storyboards. She is fond of creating gadgets, cross sections, and unusual architecture. Chilly Milly Moo is her first book. Fiona Ross lives in London.