Start by marking “I Will Teach You To Be Rich” as Want to Read:
I Will Teach You To Be Rich

I Will Teach You To Be Rich

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  22,532 ratings  ·  1,852 reviews
At last, for a generation that's materially ambitious yet financially clueless comes I Will Teach You To Be Rich, Ramit Sethi's 6-week personal finance program for 20-to-35-year-olds. A completely practical approach delivered with a nonjudgmental style that makes readers want to do what Sethi says, it is based around the four pillars of personal finance— banking, saving, b ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Will Teach You To Be Rich, please sign up.
Paris Doran I honestly don't think so. I live in Australia and I struggled with how much of the book applied to Americans only.
Bill Zoelle I find this book to be helpful for those who are just looking to start and are overwhelmed. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

·  22,532 ratings  ·  1,852 reviews

Start your review of I Will Teach You To Be Rich
Chad Warner
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: StartupNation
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
This is definitely the best personal finance book I've read so far. It's a logical, step-by-step, practical handbook for financial success, specially written for twenty-somethings. It was better than the personal finance books I've read by Eric Tyson, Andrew Tobias, Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, and Robert Kiyosaki. See my Finance shelf on Goodreads for my reviews of those books.

Sethi gives advice on “automatically enabling yourself to save, invest, and spend - enjoying it, not feeling guilty...becau
Jason
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried summarizing the main things to learn at:

I've pasted the most important bits below, but for a lot more (hopefully useful) info, check out the linked doc.

The Overall Gist: This book is about how to manage your money, particularly for young people (20's). It's about the 85% solution: most young people don't manage their money because they believe they have to be experts, but what actually matters is getting started NOW, even it's only 85% right.

6-Week
Dustin Taylor
Jun 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
While I don’t agree with everything he said, I do agree with some of the things he talks about. I personally found the investment chapters worth reading as I didn’t know very much and he lined out what my options were and explained what they were in a clear and fun way. The entire thing about using a credit card for everything to get points and other “benefits” doesn’t quite work for me, but it may for him. I don’t know anybody who has ever gotten rich because they received points from credit ca ...more
Alex Pyatetsky
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never wanted to give a book 2 stars so badly. As a warm blooded, heterosexual male - the obnoxiousness and irrelevance of Ramit's frequent fratboy asides is really grating. I'm sure he has some kind of "gotta break some eggs to make an omelette" rationale, but buyer beware. You're going to read some shit that sounds like Tucker Max, minus the funny.

THAT SAID - I gave the book 4 stars.

Why? If you don't have your finances in order, Ramit gives you a clear, actionable plan on what to do, what
Jamie
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Ramit has some good points in this book. I liked his no-BS approach and I found his points about automating finances worthwhile, if it didn't exactly give me new information. I found the section about investing to provide helpful information about index funds, which I had wondered about. He is right on the money about saving up for weddings/homes too, which somehow people just expect to pull massive amounts of money together for, on a whim. Excellent points, all.

That said, I really dislike this
Joy
The financial advice is mostly sound, but the tone and attitude is pretty annoying: it's aimed toward adults with the emotional maturity of 13-year-olds and features lots of unfunny jokes about hot blondes. Do. Not. Want.
Emily Whetstone
Don't let my star rating mislead you. You should read this book. The advice is very good and clear.

I just can't honestly say I loved it, because I found the author's examples of what it means to be rich (repeated references to being fed grapes, etc, by lovely younger women) to be off-putting. Also, the layout is terrible. The flow of chapters are continually interrupted by smaller stand-alone sections, which should have been better placed so you wouldn't have to choose between interrupting the
Bethany
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's not that his advice is bad. His tone is just infuriating...
Jean-Luc
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In one chapter, this book briefly describes a girl that spends $5,000/year on shoes. Since it's a book on being rich, I figured she *must* be rich in order to waste that much money on shoes. But no, her annual income is about half mine. She's able to do this because she decided that "$5,000/year on shoes" was her own personal definition of "rich" and she oriented her life around that decision.

That's all this book is: deciding for yourself what it means to be rich and acting on it. Everything's b
Derek McDow
Deficient in style, form, prose, and depth (the nerdy dude-bro-esque humor falls flat and tends to sound either sexist or racist) but the dated content could still prove useful to young people who know next to nothing about getting their finances in working order. Perhaps the strongest aspect of this book is the actionability of the content--improving credit scores, setting up high-interest savings accounts, investing in 401K and ROTH IRAs, etc. Great primer for the late-teen or early 20-somethi ...more
Jesse
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll keep this short and sweet: absolutely everyone should read this. High school kids should read this. My mom should read this. You should read this. It's the best book on personal finance I've ever read. Step by step instructions on exactly how to get your financial life in order. I read this years ago and it paved the way for me to eliminate my credit card debt and start investing. A must-read.
Marcel
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to take what this guy says seriously after reading the Millionaire Fastlane and living a lifestyle congruent with that book. My suggestion would be to read that first and then pass on this one rather than wasting your time. Go out there and create some value instead of rolling in the slowlane like Ramit suggests! I will teach you to be rich? More like, I will get rich from selling you this book while you stay poor making marginal gains on shitty investments.
Megan
Mar 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd get a couple new ''tid bits" of info in this book, but nope, same-old same-old. This is all common sense, people. Save & invest, don't buy a house you can't afford, and do your research.. Maybe I could relate more if ia were in my 20's and renting? In my opinion, if you want this elementary stuff, you're better off reading Suze Orman's books. Much more factual info, and much less random opinion. ...more
Bibliovoracious
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not the target market for this (not millennial, and not into getting barked at sarcastically), but I still learned some practical new things.

I do highly recommend for anyone under 30 - it has all the basic important money knowledge, plus hacks, specificity, and clear explanations.
Jonathan K
Useful introduction to finances with some useful tidbits even if you know what you're doing. I don't agree with all the advice in here but he certainly knows what he's talking about. Unfortunately his tone walks a fine line between irreverent and obnoxious, and oversteps the boundary fairly frequently.

If you can get past the voice and a lot of filler anecdotes, it's a decent beginner book to get you thinking about your finances.
Ana
original read: 2013

This book was a revelation when I first read it. I can't really recommend the chapters on investing for non-US residents but everything else still holds up. This is a great book for people who want to optimize their earning and saving by having a few clear goals and then automating the rest.
Nicholas Kotar
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check back with me in about 5-10 years, but I think this is one of those books that will really effect practical changes in life in a big way. Great book.
Anotherjesse
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who haven't gotten their financials in order
The author is a co-founder of PBWiki. Having known David (other co-founder of PBWiki) since moving to the bay area, I decided it was worth taking a chance on this book.

Overall it was disappointing. Most chapters had as much information as a good blog post. He spent too much time repeating himself and making stupid jokes. I give it 1 star on style. I wish Gini Trapini had written it.

The actual content is good. Anyone who doesn't have a good financial system in place should read it. The actual in
Chris Johnson
I was curious about Ramit.

I don't love everything about what he's doing, but I think he's a Challenger Sale kind of blogger. He knows what he knows, and he's mostly right.

I've been following Dave Ramsey - and what I can say is this book beats the crap out of dave.

The basic message behind Dave's stuff is this: you're stupid, spending is stupid, and you should feel guilty every time you spend a little money that's not perfectly planned. Oh, and you have to eat crap food and drive a clunker if you
Sarah Kendosh
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST read for young independent ppl!!!
Harold Bradley III
Overly simplistic. Annoying tone. Some of the advice is good, but it is better presented elsewhere. Skip this book.
Farwa
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book for me to think about my finances and saving habits. Through reading this book, I have learned about retirement accounts, long-term investing, and short-term savings goals. My system is now fairly automated so I don’t have to think about it too much, and I feel like I’m doing a lot more with my money than I was before reading this.

Highly recommend for my friends in their 20s who have started earning a steady income, especially if you’re like me and kind of clueless about f
Guilherme Zeitounlian
I read the first edition of this book in 2016. At the time, I gave it 3 stars.

Now I read the second edition, and the ideas are mainly the same: invest early, automate your finances, have a plan. Cut costs that you don't care about, and spend lavishly on the things you love.

However, the overall tone of the book was improved: it is less judgemental. It talks more about the "85% solution" - just do what is good enough. And these changes help convey the message in a much smoother way. (Also, the jok
Ling Chung
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For beginners, this personal finance book is a 5 star. It's up there with Rich Dad and Poor Dad. Ramit Sethi is hilarious. I love listening to his interviews generally. The light tone definitely came through in the book.

Keep in mind this book is written for beginners. If you are somewhat diligent about your finance, you probably are already doing 90% of the things outlined in this book. So I wouldn't recommend reading this.

As a Canadian not familiar with US investment vehicles, this book introdu
Eric
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a great personal finance book for people in their 20's. It teaches simple lessons on how to apply personal finance in the internet age. I love how relevant the book is to my life, and my finances. Moreover, it was comforting to find out that I had already implemented several of the author's suggestions. Great read.
Abinadi Ayerdis
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only wish I could rate this book six stars. This book is everything I never knew I always wanted. Ramit's advice hit me like a dump truck to the face ... like an icicle in my brain ... like distilled truth smeared on my eyes. My life is now divided into two distinct times: impoverished ignorance and post-book richness. Read this book, my friends, and know its goodness.
Bri Altier
If you can cringe through the misogyny and disdain for overweight people, there are actually some good pieces of financial advice for beginners.
Tony
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I’m prone to listening to self help/nonfiction guru books from time to time, I consider it my podcast as I’ve mostly avoided those. But this book straight up helped me in two very definitive ways:

1: Introduced me to the budgeting program YNAB which has completely changed the way I view my money and my bills. It’s a rather complicated program that took me a long time to understand but with the help of a couple of excellent Youtube tutorials I have a complete grasp and I genuinely feel like I c
Janey Muñoz
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From my limited perspective, the advice in this book seems useful to those beginning their personal financial journey, and was definitely helpful to me in a few specific areas. Financial advice, like all advice, is only useful in certain contexts, so some of it may feel off-the-mark, or simply irrelevant. I appreciated reading this book as an ebook, making it easy to jump to certain sections, avoiding the bits that were completely irrelevant to my finances. Also, hyperlinks were dispersed throug ...more
Shelby
There are some interesting things I learned in this book as far as structuring a lot of my finances go. I liked how simplistically a lot of this is laid out and even though it's meant for someone in their twenties I still feel like I picked up some tools that can help me maximize my own accounts.
#debtfreecommunity: April: I Will Teach You to Be Rich 1 8 Jan 03, 2020 03:39PM

• The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • Choose FI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • The Automatic Millionaire: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
  • Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook
Ramit Sethi is New York Times best-selling author of I Will Teach You To Be Rich. His blog, iwillteachyoutoberich.com, hosts over 300,000 readers every month. He co-founded PBwiki and graduated from Stanford, where he studied technology and psychology. He lives in San Francisco, CA.

News & Interviews

“The 85 Percent Solution: Getting started is more important than becoming an expert.” 11 likes
“It’s more important to get started than to spend an exhaustive amount of time researching” 9 likes