Start by marking “Verity (Cursed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Verity (Cursed, #1)

Verity (Cursed #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  5,177 Ratings  ·  245 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Perdita Rivers has spent her entire sheltered life being told what to do. Lately, she’s felt ready for a change, and the universe seems to agree. Her new best friend’s brother is the boy of Perdita’s dreams. Literally.

Even though he plays hot and cold, she’s sure there’s more to it, but she’s kind of distracted by the sense she’s being followed - not to m
Published April 24th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Verity, please sign up.

This was an okay werewolf story, although it took a long while for the werewolves to actually show up. The constant bickering between Perdy and her best friend Tammie got old too.

6 out of 10
Dianne
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Her life has been controlled by her family. On one hand, her father refuses to allow her to do anything, on the other, her grandmother allows her to spread her wings, providing her father doesn’t know and if he finds out, well, grandma really doesn’t care. There is Perdita, stuck in the middle, sixteen and anxious to live a little, do what her peers do, in other words…be a teen.

VERITY by Claire Farrell has nailed the trials and tribulations of being a normal teen, but Perdy is far from normal, a
♥ Sarah
Nov 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction

If I wasn't so familiar with the whole werewolf/soulmate trope so often seen in the YA paranormal genre, I might have given this one a higher rating. Maybe.

Things that really irritated me:

1. It might have just been me, but I felt like the author might not have been American? The dialogue didn't feel natural or authentic for teens. Maybe that's how people from Ireland talk? IDK but it felt off to me.

2. "Perdy" our heroine/protagonist was REALLY hard for me to....like, or even sympathize with. I
K. Lincoln
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I think I may have overdosed on paranormal YA recently, and its possible that is clouding my judgement.

Verity deserves more of a 3.5, probably. This is a perfectly fine YA romance with werewolves. Girl dreams of boy. Girl meets boy. Boy must resist acting on his lurv for noble reasons. Girl finds out werewolves exist. Girl turns out to be more than just your normal human.

Twilight (or Leopard Moon, Destiny Binds, Intuition series) fans would quite like this one, I imagine.

Perdita lives with her
Heather andrews
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*********************************SPOILER ALERT*****************************

Nathan there's just something about him that draws you to love him right off, "hi," he said, so low I could barely hear him. He stared at me in a way I didn't understand." He loves his sister and chooses to stick up for her, where as the older brothers of sisters I know choose to ignore the hazing, to become popular, "no, thanks. I'd rather sit here next to my sister. You know, one of them. I'd introduce you, but I think
Marie DeLaRosa
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Verity by Clair Farrell
Perdita is just a young girl trying to get by in high school; she pretty much keeps to herself, drawing no attention. She can’t wait until she is out on her own, to get away from her over protective father and her grandmother, Both constantly arguing over what she can and can’t do or wear. Regardless, she finds all the comfort she needs in her best friend Tammie and her cousin Joey. But even they wouldn’t understand the dreams she’s been having, especially when it regards
Karataratakus
Verity Review for GoodReads

So for my fourth venture out into the world of YA bandwagons, here's another one Kindle suggested for me, which is about werewolves. This is quite a short read, and set in the village of Dublin (seriously, the capital city of Ireland felt like random American small town #1827 in this) which is... a setting.

Now, let's get started!

THE COVER: A wolf, a forest, and a girl who's either put her finger to her lips as a shout out to Hush, Hush, or is about to pick her nose.

THE
Sadia
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Verity is a... good enough book. I was actually expecting more and was really disappointed at the end it. It seemed to be lacking in all the aspects that make up a good book.

The romance wasn't gradual enough for me. I'm fine with soul-mate type romances where the love interests were 'picked' by the universe but the romance still could have been more developed and gradual. Even with instant attraction you can add depth and layers to a romance so that it doesn't feel unrealistic or stereotypical.
Jody
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good

I thought it was an okay book, so now I am on to the rest of the series. I hope you answers questions I have
Nicky Cartwright Pashley
Verity was the first novel that Claire Farrell started (though not the first one that she finished!). Unlike the The Ava Delaney series (Thirst, Taunt and Tempt) I was immediately conscious that this story was aimed at the YA market. It took me a little longer to be drawn into the story (than it did with the Ava Delaney series) but the personalities and lives of the characters quickly caught my interest.

Perdita is a 16 year old that is struggling with strange re-occurring dreams, an overly stri
Miranda Hannah
Jun 22, 2011
Neyra ♦

An interesting "twist" in the werewolf mythology, but I only learned about it from the last 15% of the book, give or take. The only thing I learned was how much of an annoying teenager, Perdita is. God, and how needy! She forgives her so called "best friend" for being a two-faced lying bitch and pushes her cousin into forgiving her as well. Despite how nasty she is being out of no where, they still all sit together, it's ridiculous. No way would this happen in the real world, but just because ou
Jenna
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this YA take on werewolves. I thought that the writing flowed well and I enjoyed the Irish slang used throughout - people who complained need to realize that not all authors are American and don't write just for an American audience.

Perdy was an interesting character and it was nice to see her grow from the 'freak' at school who was always quiet to someone who stood up for her friends and for herself - even if that meant doing things that she didn't like or want to do. Tammie was extreme
Sara
Sep 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Verity was a fairly good take on werewolf stories... I liked how they weren't a dominant part of the story but they were still present. Sometimes with paranormal books the paranormal side really takes over and you don't get to see much of the human side of people. I liked how this book developed the characters and their relationships before the werewolfs entered the story. I really liked Perdy and I liked how she was a strong character on her own. She didn't seem to rely too heavily on her frien ...more
Booklover
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2016, series
Verity was ok. Nothing particularly exciting happened until chapter 11, and there are 16 chapters. The action was minimal and there wasn't a lot explained. I think this book would have been better as a novella. The majority of the teenage drama could have been left out. That was the biggest issue I had. There was nonsense drama that didn't have a point and it felt like a filler to lengthen the book. By chapter eight I was wondering if werewolves were actually in the book, and again, they really ...more
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
My goodness that was awful...seriously. never again, as in EVER.
Yowza!
This is going into the' never again shelf' for sure and most likely in the 'read if you hate yourself self' too.
Don't do it.
Save yourself from insta-weird- love. From atrocious dialogues and irritating and frustrating, did I mention nonsensical? characters. A romance that made no sense, and werewolves who don't know a thing about being werewolves...even though they've been cursed since the 17th Century! Ughh!

-The Book Hera
Radiant
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well i was going through Werewolves spree..and got hold of this book.
Though it was not as much as intimidating as i thought it was after reading the summary ...it was a good one to read.
Where in most books werewolves are a different species..here being Cursed is quite a catch.
Though i really could do a bit more of Nathan n Perdita..afterall they are leads..it was ok!
But still there are many open ends n mysteries - which is kind of irritating - to be solved which i think will be in next book whic
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
This book was good :) I liked the story and i found the characters adorable. But im only give the book
3 stars because, while the book had its many ups, it had also many downs. It didn't really happen much in the book, and it took a hell of alot of time before it actually happen something... But im still looking forward to read book #2 :)
Delta
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: free-ebooks, z2016
This was an odd book for me. Mostly because we don't see a shapeshifter (or discuss the topic) until nearly three-quarters through the story. Then we get the insta-love typical of YA paranormal/fantasy. I was kind of hoping for something different given the odd plot structure, but I was sadly disappointed.
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating: 3.15

This was a good book. It just was not the book for me. Also, I feel like the characters and plot were well developed. The story just made me confused and it made me put the book down a couple of times. Overall, an okay book.
Jasi
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Endlich hab ich das englische Buch geschafft (:
Mein erstes Fremdsprachenbuch das ich GANZ durchgelesen habe.
Und ich muss sagen es hat wunderbar geklappt. ;)

Tolle Geschichte, ich freu mich schon auf die weiteren Teile!
Runningrabbit
Not a bad YA read with many of the usual components. Weird attraction, wonderful eyes, bitch from hell, pretty good supporting friends, strict parents.

I'll certainly read the next one and see where it's going with the hope that's it's not more of the same.
Casey
1.5 Stars
Kay
Maybe a 2.5. Perdy the main character was hard to like, actually I didn't like her. Way to insecure. Tammie was annoying. The writing seemed choppy. Nothing happened until the last two chapters...
Melissa Levine
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Elena Johansen
This took too long to get to anything interesting (like, you know, the werewolf part) and made me cringe too much along the way.

Perdita, our main character and narrator, has a personality that can best be described as "inconsistent." She stands up for herself to her controlling father, only to let her absolute bitch of a best friend steamroll over her. She whines and moans about how unpopular she is, how much of a freak and a loser she is, but more guys than just the curse-besotted love interest
Ashlynn
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Was actually kind of good but there was just something off about it it just didn’t make me want to read the next book. I didn’t believe Perdita and Nathans love story, there was no romance they just liked each other all of a sudden with no real reason as to why except for the curse, which they kept saying wasn’t going to be the reason they liked each other but after saying that they basically did what they said they weren’t going to do 🙄

Tbh they remind me of when in a book the girl is in love wi
Lisa
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay

Told from Peritas POV, a teenage human school girl who has a strange connection to the new boy and girl in town. Her best friend turns on her and she ends up finding out secrets she wish she never knew. It's a sad ending for the Evans family, when we get to the point near the end of this 1st book, where theres a little bit of action. Perita manages to uncover the secrets of a non humans species. She gets her man in the end but it was a long time coming. It got a bit tedious as this seemed to
Shaly
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: claire-farrell
3.5 Stars

Teenagers! Was I ever that stupid when I was sixteen? I'd like to think I wasn't but fuck if I know...lol.

Perdita was actually a pretty cool teenager, a little naive, no thanks to her father and way to forgiving. What the fuck was up with Tammie? She sure was changed overnight and apparently for no reason at all. She was just so fucking rude and nasty to Perdita and she kept making excuses for her! I don't know if that makes Perdy a loyal friend or just a stupid one..

My thing is how the
YA Buddy Readers'...: Verity (Cursed #1) by Claire Farrell - Starting January 15th 2017 11 28 Jan 15, 2017 03:19AM
Dream Readers: Verity 1 3 Aug 08, 2016 05:41PM
Best free teenage...: First recommendation 1 4 Aug 13, 2013 12:52PM
  • Silver Moon (Silver Moon, #1)
  • Moon-Ache (The Lone March Series, #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Howl #3)
  • Descendant (The Shift Chronicles, #1)
  • Red
  • Six Moon Summer (Seasons of the Moon, #1)
  • Caged Moon (Caged Moon, #1)
  • Silver (The Silver, #1)
  • Time Mends (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #2)
  • Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood, #1)
  • Pride's Run (A Wolf's Pride, #1)
  • The Legacy of Kilkenny (Legacy of Kilkenny, #1)
  • Outsider (Outsider, #1)
  • Blood Solstice (The Tale of Lunarmorte, #3)
  • The Ylem (The Ylem Trilogy, #1)
  • Leopard Moon (Moon, #1)
  • Change

Cursed (3 books)
  • Clarity (Cursed, #2)
  • Purity (Cursed #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Leave Myself Behind
    $15.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
“Bit of a hormone imbalance today, yeah?” 6 likes
“...I didn’t have the guts to start a conversation with him. Knowing me, my mouth would dry up, I’d stutter something nonsensical and probably trip and fal into a bin for good measure.” 5 likes