Start by marking “Unhallowed Ground (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #4)” as Want to Read:
Unhallowed Ground (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #4)

Unhallowed Ground

(The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #4)

Another brilliant slice of medieval crime fiction Thomas atte Bridge, a man no one likes, is found hanging from a tree near Cowleys Corner. All assume he has taken his own life, but Master Hugh and Kate find evidence that this may not be so.

Many of the town had been harmed by Thomas, and Hugh is not eager to send one of them to the gallows. Then he discovers that the pries
Published December 1st 2011 by Monarch Books (first published October 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Unhallowed Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unhallowed Ground

Start your review of Unhallowed Ground (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #4)
Annet
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Mel Starr always give a great view of medieval times, combined with a crime story, where Hugh de Singleton, medieval surgeon and detective, goes on a hunt for the killer and usually gets pursued himself by the bad guys out there. Enjoy these books and the details of the times, but this one was a bit less interesting than the previous ones. Therefore.... 3 stars.
Karen Brooks
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Once I started reading this series featuring Hugh de Singleton by Melvin R Starr, I couldn’t stop. Searching for historical fiction that really captured a specific era (I was looking for the late 1300s, early 1400s) but was tight, well written and engaging proved harder than I initially thought – in that, I had already read so many good novels, it was hard to find new material. That was, until I stumbled upon Starr’s series.
The fourth book in the Hugh de Singleton series, the surgeon who become
Susan in NC
3.5 stars, as in I really liked it despite slow pacing in the first quarter or so. I have enjoyed each entry in this mystery series about 14th-century bailiff/surgeon Hugh de Singleton, and this was no exception, although the pacing dragged a bit for me in the middle. I think it was largely because Hugh was trying to solve the possible murder of a truly horrible person - always hard to care when the world seems better off without the deceased!

I was delighted to see Hugh and Kate settling into Ba
Amy Samin
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series keeps getting better and better.
Anietta
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
A more tightly-written addition to the series. Master Hugh must wrestle with his conscience when seeking a killer among those who were grievously wronged by the murdered man and, in certain cases, denied justice and effectively abandoned by the law. The bailiff has reason also to fall under suspicion himself by others and must ensure he is not seen to be accusing another to save himself. And, at what cost could discovering the guilty person have upon the community. These were all explored in a f ...more
Deb Jones
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although I've enjoyed each of the first three books in the Hugh de Singleton series, I found this one to be my favorite so far. Singleton finds himself facing a moral dilemma in his role as Bampton's bailiff.
Susanne
This fourth book (and the second one I've read) starts with the mysterious hanging of the much-disliked Thomas atte Bridge. Master Hugh de Singleton, surgeon and bailiff to Lord Gilbert, is soon convinced that this death was no suicide; it was murder. He is charged by the grieving widow to discover the murderer. Yet with Thomas atte Bridge being universally hated throughout the village, there are too many suspects to consider. Master Hugh is also newly married, and he and his wife of three month ...more
John Lee
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
My 4th in the very readable series centred on the life of Hugh-de-Singleton , surgeon and bailiff to Lord Gilbert.

Hugh is now married and it seems that his wife , Kate, has a sharp eye too for they find a couple of clues at the site of a death that convince them that the verdict of suicide given on the town's rogue and bully was incorrect.

As bailiff it is Hugh's duty to uncover the murderer even though most in the town are pleased by the death and many have serious personal grievances against th
Nance Roepke
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was a little disappointed in book 3 but this one is right back on track. In this book Tom atta Bridge is dead. He is a character from previous books that Hugh did not like at all and with good reason. So this sets up conflicts for Hugh that may also be conflicts for us. For example, should one pursue justice for someone who was evil with the same vigor as for one who was good? Do we judge someone we like differently than someone we don't like? How does that fit with our moral or faith beliefs? ...more
dOnnabud
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Hugh de Singleton series is one of my favorites. Not only does Mel Starr effectively weave intrigue and characters with depth into his plot, he also reveals fascinating insights into Medieval English life. His period-specific perspectives on medicine and surgical techniques, social mores and religion, gender and class are mind-expanding.
Anita
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m giving this a full five star simply because I read it in pretty quick fashion over the weekend as it drew me right into the story. I like the historical fiction and the fact that it set in the mid 1300s puts it in quite an interesting place in time. Solid murder mystery but I will say Hugh has really bad luck, it seems as though in every book someone’s trying to kill him.
Susan
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1366 Thomas atte Bridge has been found hanged. The verdict given to this hated man is suicide. But evidence discovered by Hugh de Singleton proves otherwise, unfortunately, so he believes he must investigate. Only to find as expected many motives for the death.
An enjoyable and well-written historical mystery
Roxane White
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. Congrats Mel Starr

I am on to the next book! Great writing and holds up under some of the ignorance of the times. I don't see how we have attained the knowledge we do have
Amna Alvi
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
read
The Chronicles of Mel-Luo
didnt like it either
Patricia
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am really enjoying this series.
Vicki
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful series! Thoroughly enjoyed #4 and looking forward to #5!
English
I only recently discovered ‘The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton’, which attracted me for a number of reasons. As a fan of the Cadfael series a Medieval Crime Mystery series seemed interesting, as a lover of Medieval History the setting attracted me, and as a Christian the religious aspects and the fact that novels in this genre tend to be ‘cleaner’ than others also seemed a plus.

By way of a brief introduction the series is set in the late 1300s (14th century) and the protagonist Hugh de Singlet
Lisa Johnson
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A man who commits suicide or was he murdered? Buried where? Why? The year is 1360 something in an unfamiliar land and unique sounding words describe people, positions, and responsibilities. Never before has such a novel attracted my attention…until now.
Mel Starr has written “chronicles” of a character named Hugh de Singleton. This character has more than one job in his village. What the name of the village is, I can’t say. What is this character’s occupation? I can’t spoil the book and reveal w
Victor Gentile
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mel Starr in his new book, “Unhallowed Ground” Book Four in the Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon series published by Monarch Books returns us to Oxford in 1366 for another mystery involving the intrepid bailiff and surgeon.

From the back cover: Thomas atte Bridge, a man no one likes, is found hanging from a tree near Cowleys Corner. All assume he has taken his own life, but Master Hugh and Kate find evidence that this may not be so.

Many of the town had been harmed by Thomas, and Hugh is not eager to se
I had the privilege of having read Mel Starr’s A Trail of Ink and as much as I enjoyed that one I’d have to say I’ve enjoyed Unhallowed Ground just as much or maybe more. This is the fourth chronicle of a surgeon by the name of Hugh de Singleton who is living and working in the 1300′s and as one will start realizing as they read, you will be taken fully back into that time with the language as well as how operations are performed – I found the performance of the couching surgery for cataracts qu ...more
Nate LaClaire
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Mel Starr’s fourth tale of Hugh de Singleton, medieval surgeon, Unhallowed Ground, we find our protagonist investigating the murder of one Thomas atte Bridge after this unlikable fellow is found hanging from a tree. While Master Hugh would like to believe the popular opinion that the victim took his own life, his finding of evidence to the contrary requires him to investigate his friends and neighbors to determine who took the life of their common enemy.

I enjoyed this book immensely. The stor
Theresa
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Unhallowed Ground is the fourth book in the "Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon", however it is easily read as a stand-alone. This is the first of the series I have read, and I found no problems with starting at this point. There is enough information and character development that I could easily connect and not feel lost.

Taking place in 14th Century Bampton, England, Unhallowed Ground centers around Master Hugh de Singleton who is both a surgeon and bailiff to Sir Gilbert. Master Hugh is
Christian Fiction Addiction
Hugh de Singleton, surgeon and bailiff of Bamptom in the year 1366, believes that Thomas, a man found hanging from a tree, has been murdered. All others, with the exception of his wife, believe that Thomas took his own life. As Hugh sets out to uncover the truth, he begins to uncover more and more evidence supporting his belief Thomas was murdered, but soon finds himself in a dilemma of having to investigate his friends for the murder of a man who was once his enemy.

This is the first chronicle o
Kevin Sorensen
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll state right up front that I have not read any of Mel Star's other novels involving Hugh de Singleton. There are three and they may be found here. I found, however, this story was not connected to the other three in plot, but simply in characters. Thus, I didn't feel like I was missing out on something and I enjoyed this very much. I find it difficult to keep up with multi-volumn books these days and reading #4 in a series of at least four (there's a teaser at the end looking toward book #5) ...more
Ann Saylor
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Mel Starr has just released another book in his Hugh De Singleton series. It is titled Unhallowed Ground: The Fourth Chronicle of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon.

Thomas atte Bridge, a town criminal disliked by everyone in the town, is found hanging from a tree at the beginning of the story. The townspeople all assume he has taken his own life, but Master Hugh believes otherwise. As the bailiff, surgeon, and detective in the small 13th century town of Bampton, England, Master Hugh sets on a complicate
Wendy Hines
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Thomas atte Bridge is found hung from a tree in the village, Master Hugh, bailiff of Bampton Manor, accompanies the town coroner to the great oak. There, Thomas' wife is sobbing, holding his knees while many of the villagers look on.

At first, it looks like a suicide but Master Hugh finds the evidence to the contrary. Thomas has a busted lip, broken tooth, mud on the heels of his shoes and redness on his wrists. He is sure someone murdered him. However, the coroner declares it a suicide and
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
This was my first book in this series so I had fun figuring out some of the words, which I thought was neat. Maybe because some of my family no longer with us used some of the same words? And Hugh’s herbal medicines would interested a lot of people today, I wonder myself if some of these remedies will work just as well as prescription medicines.

I felt bad that Hugh was on his own thinking that someone else murdered old atte Bridge, instead of him taking his own life. Well except Hugh’s new wife
Jann Barber
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this in the First Reads program and if I were to start reading it again tomorrow, would tell myself to either read it all within the space of a few days or else write a list of characters and their relationships to which I could refer after leaving the book on the table for the span of several days.

I read the first book in this series and bought the next two entries on my Kindle, but have not yet read them. I do enjoy the historical background that makes up part of each story. In this book
Tina Peterson
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I found this book rather hard to read. What I did like about the book was the depth of the history, the research and the author's understanding of the period written about in the book. I also really liked the characters of Hugh & Kate who are both very strong, suited to each other and even though they (especially Hugh) have to make tough decisions when it comes to people they know - they do it.

Unhallowed Ground refers to the church's stance that someone who either has committed suicide or is an
Tina Peterson

« previous 1 3 next »

• The Final Toll (Servant of the Crown #4)
  • The Summer of the Danes (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #18)
  • A Matter of Justice: A Matthew Cordwainer Medieval Mystery (Matthew Cordwainer Medieval Mysteries Book 11)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
  • The Confession of Brother Haluin (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #15)
  • Hostage to Fortune (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #4)
  • Marked to Die (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #3)
  • Ordeal by Fire (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation, #2)
  • Servant of Death (A Bradecote and Catchpoll Investigation #1)
  • Anarchy and Old Dogs (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #4)
  • Curse of the Pogo Stick (Dr. Siri Paiboun #5)
  • The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone #1)
  • The Demon Archer (Hugh Corbett, #11)
  • Lost Innocents (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #3)
  • Murder in the Crypt (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #1)
  • Vermilion Drift (Cork O'Connor, #10)
  • Disco For The Departed (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #3)
  • Season of the Fox (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #2)
Mel Starr was born and grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan. After graduating with a MA in history from Western Michigan University in 1970, he taught history in Michigan public schools for thirty-nine years, thirty-five of those in Portage, MI, where he retired in 2003 as chairman of the social studies department of Portage Northern High School. Mel and his wife, Susan, have two daughters and seven gra ...more

The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Unquiet Bones (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #1)
  • A Corpse at St Andrews Chapel (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #2)
  • A Trail of Ink (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #3)
  • The Tainted Coin (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #5)
  • Rest Not in Peace (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #6)
  • The Abbot's Agreement (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #7)
  • Ashes to Ashes (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #8)
  • Lucifer's Harvest (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #9)
  • Deeds of Darkness (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #10)
  • Prince Edward's Warrant (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon, #11)